PDA

View Full Version : Redshirt Question

GonzagaGurl08
11-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I was under the impression that even if a player is going to redshirt, he can still play something like 2 or 3 games. That said, even though Will played today, he can still redshirt right? Please correct me if I'm wrong? Here's a picture of Big Will in action.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/GU%20vs%20Montana/P1000334.jpg

El Voce
11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I think you are incorrect. You can get a medical redshirt if you play in just a few games, but I think that's it.

Birddog
11-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I was under the impression that even if a player is going to redshirt, he can still play something like 2 or 3 games. That said, even though Will played today, he can still redshirt right?

Nope
There is some confusion in these matters, mostly due to the incorrectly termed "medical redshirt". This is the best link I could find to describe.
http://www.techsideline.com/football/medicalredshirt.html

Birddog

GonzagaGurl08
11-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I was wrong. Here is the redshirt definition from NCAA sports.

Redshirt Definition
The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/membership_svcs/eligibility-recruiting/faqs/eligibility_seasons.html

MBZags
11-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Hm, that's interesting. I really don't think the team really needs Foster right now, even with Heytvelt and Davis out.

MedZag
11-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't think Few is an idiot to pull the shirt. Kuso and Pendo have shown a propensity for foul trouble in past seasons (that damn red hair), and Sacre is a freshman so he'll have foul troubles (like tonight). I think playing Downs or Daye down low takes away a lot from both of their skill sets and the flow of the offense, so having another body to sit down low and intimidate like Foster is good to have on the bench. I guarantee you we will see games this year where Foster's 5 fouls will be a very good thing to have.

People also overlook Foster's knack on D because of his offensive ineptitude. The kid has a nose for the block and definitely alters shots.

JAGzag
11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Personally, I think Foster is the one who suffers. He really needs an extra year to develop that 7'4" frame of his - this year would have provided a great opportunity to grow into something more. Now, he will probably sit and maybe play 5 minutes a game or be sent in for extra fouls. Just seems like a waste at this point.

BroncoZAG615
11-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Overall the redshirt being pulled really benefits no one. Personally the only reason I see him being on scholarship is because of his height. His skill set is not well defined as of yet and he looks lost in his own body. Rightfully so, I can't imagine being 7 foot four. My main problem is he looks a little bigger but I don't see improvement. Offensively he is on ice skates and get pushed around so easily. He may have gained weight but he is not using it. I agree that pulling the red shirt was a total waste.

MickMick
11-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I'll bet Few didn't plan to pull the redshirt without evaluating the players in game. He saw Sacre and Kuso pick up quick fouls and thought "I can't live with this for half the season."

In other words, I'll bet he had the option of pulling the redshirt in his mind going into the game and the scenario played out to trigger his decision to put Will in.

sullyzag66
11-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I'll bet Few didn't plan to pull the redshirt without evaluating the players in game. He saw Sacre and Kuso pick up quick fouls and thought "I can't live with this for half the season."

In other words, I'll bet he had the option of pulling the redshirt in his mind going into the game and the scenario played out to trigger his decision to put Will in.
While that may have been in his mind, I'm not sure that it would have been necessary to make that decision at that point in this game. I think he must have made the decision prior to the game. Would Few make a snap decision of that importance in the middle of a game he's handily winning like that?

MickMick
11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
While that may have been in his mind, I'm not sure that it would have been necessary to make that decision at that point in this game. I think he must have made the decision prior to the game. Would Few make a snap decision of that importance in the middle of a game he's handily winning like that?

I think he went into the game with the following in mind:

"If Sacre and Kuso don't make silly fouls, I'll hold onto the notion of redshirting Will. If they give me the impression that they are gonna get in foul trouble often, then I'll pull the trigger on Will. Because this is what I would expect from them for the next 6 weeks. I really don't know how they will play until I see em play."

I think he held onto the option until he saw with his own eyes that he needed the other "big" for 6 weeks.

Pure speculation...but why pull the shirt unless you are persuaded that you absolutely have too?

( I love to speculate......:) )

brasszag
11-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Or maybe, like last year, they coaching staff put it in Will's hands to make the decision... just a thought.

RenoZag
11-12-2007, 07:16 AM
I thought Foster did NOT use a redshirt last year. . .he didn't play much but he did play some.

7ICoug
11-12-2007, 07:20 AM
I thought Foster did NOT use a redshirt last year. . .he didn't play much but he did play some.

You're right of course. I fixed it, thought he had but they had to use him last year a bit as well.

sullyzag66
11-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Or maybe, like last year, they coaching staff put it in Will's hands to make the decision... just a thought.
That could be the case. I was surprised to hear in Few's post-game interview that they were going to leave it up to Josh whether to play last night and then have his surgery.