PDA

View Full Version : What might go unnoticed about Austin from today

CDC84
11-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, he had 20 and 10.

But Austin also had 2 blocks and 2 steals. He disrupted at least 3 pass attempts on the perimeter, and got his hands on at least 3 in bounds passes. As Tommy put it in the post game show, you basically have to throw the ball up to the ceiling to get the ball in when Daye is guarding the inbounds passer.

Larry Gurganious was phenomenal defensively, but Austin's presence with his length, athleticism and timing had a big impact on the game as well that won't be entirely seen in the box score. It's that length, athleticism and timing that is going to allow Austin the ability to be effective on defense this year despite the fact that he is going to be physically beaten up a bit once GU starts playing top notch teams.

Nevtelen
11-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Nice point, CDC. Austin's blocked pass at halfcourt was impressive. You could tell that Rundles was getting frustrated with Austin on an inbound play when he slammed the ball off his chest out of bounds because he couldn't get it in. I was a little surprised he didn't get a technical for that, actually - it was pretty clearly intentional and probably hurt quite a bit.

zag67
11-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I also agree with CDC. One of the defensive sets that we might see will be Jeremy, Larry, Micah, Austin and Kuso. That group has a lot of atheletisism and also has long arms in the passing lanes. To me they could cause caos at the defensive end and still attack the offensive end.

GonzagaGurl08
11-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree with you CDC. Austin is incredibly long, does anyone know his wingspan? Here is a picture from last game vs. Emporia St. of Austin guarding the inbounding player.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/GU%20vs%20Emporia%20State/P1000274.jpg

GU69
11-11-2007, 03:59 PM
does anyone know his wingspan?

On the radio, Richard Fox said that it is 7'4".

kitzbuel
11-11-2007, 04:04 PM
His blocked shots were definitely not lost on me. I was talking with Kdaleb tonight and we thought that he can have the offensive creativity and output of Ammo PLUS play D. He promises to be special.

Zag79
11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
CDC you said it best. and one other thing i keep noticing is his bball IQ is off the charts. he knows what to do, when to do it, why, and how.

MickMick
11-11-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't know about you, but I thought he was passing like a point guard. Good crisp passes on target. Of course the "no look" by Pargo blew me away as well.

BBallIQ off the charts.....Zag79 describe Austin in a nutshell.

MDABE80
11-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Austin 's going to have to learn to pass the ball to get himself out of those double and triple teams. He needs to distribute better and he won't get beat up so much in those more difficult games. Obviously he'll be attracting attention. Best way to get the heat off is to pass. Just because he get's the ball doesn't mean he must shoot it. He didn't distribute much today. It was like that in HS when he was pretty much the only scoring option. Not so at GU. Lots of people can score and are eager to put some points up.

Nice defense though. At least Austin looked interested in playing some D. But the biggest difference in the whole team was defense. LG is worth his weight in gold if he plays defense like he did today ( I mangled that phrase on my last attempt). The whole team played solid defense......it's been years since we've seen that. Defense wins these games.

Bocco
11-11-2007, 05:56 PM
LG is worth his weight in gold if he'll play defense. The whole team played defense......it's been years since we've seen that. Defense wins these games.

LG sure looked tonight that he was willing to play defense. I thought that the defensive intensity of all the players on the court stepped up to another level when LG was on the court. If tonight is any harbinger of the remaining games this season we are going to see a much improved defense over what we have seen the past few seasons. I agree with MDABE defense wins games.

CDC84
11-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Austin had a really nice pass to Kuso in the 1st half from the high post.

Austin's ability to see over defenses can be a real asset when it comes to high low action.

MickMick
11-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Austin 's going to have to learn to pass the ball to get himself out of those double and triple teams. He needs to distribute better and he won't get beat up so much in those more difficult games. Obviously he'll be attracting attention. Best way to get the heat off is to pass. Just because he get's the ball doesn't mean he must shoot it. He didn't distribute much today. It was like that in HS when he was pretty much the only scoring option. Not so at GU. Lots of people can score and are eager to put some points up.

Nice defense though. At least Austin looked interested in playing some D. But the biggest difference in the whole team was defense. LG is worth his weight in gold if he'll play defense. The whole team played defense......it's been years since we've seen that. Defense wins these games.

There is a difference between passing frequently and passing well. The three passes I saw Austin make were very, very good. He has it in him...and how many freshman have we seen turn the ball over with bad passes? In fact, I would rather Austin take the shot than throw one to the other team.

But you are right...he does need to hit the open guy a little more.

Zagaholic
11-11-2007, 09:15 PM
I thought Austin made some nice passes at times. I am pretty sure he made a beautiful dish to Kuso for an easy layin in the second half.

Between his awesome offense and his potential for being a disruptive defender, he sure is having an impressive debut as a freshman.

I am pretty bummed about Steven Gray. Was really looking forward to seeing him at the GAS.

Larryzag
11-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Here is Austin guarding an inbounds play tonight.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9083/pb112249cj0.jpg

MDABE80
11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Notice how Austin and Will's wingspan measure about 15 ft combined in that photo? Now THAT would get my knees a knockin:)