PDA

View Full Version : Micah Downs

kylasdad
02-19-2007, 08:03 PM
3's, blocks, boards, defense and a great teammate. During warm-ups he is giving everybody 5 and seems like he is really enjoying himself. Seems to be a great fit.

Thanks for the breakout game. We have been waiting for this. Next year will be insane with Bouldin, Downs, Daye, LG???, at the wing. Talk about match-up problems!!!

former1dog
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Super game and a break out performance, the one we've been waiting for and the one Zag79 ( :) ) has been predicting.

I have to say what was most impressive was that he was agressive on the offense, but still played within the flow of the offense and let the game come to him. When it seems he got out of rythm, he was happy to pass the ball or drive the lane when the opportunity presented itself.

Defensively, pretty good. I can see room for improvement. I think CDC accurately pointed out that he could be an All Defensive Stopper if he puts his mind to it.

Fun to watch, especially the hanging in the air, palming the ball, kiss off the glass shot.

roxdoc
02-19-2007, 08:29 PM
19 points, sweet 3's, a dunk, fighting under the basket for offensive rebounds, 6 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal in 28 minutes tonight. Still a little lost on the court and a little too aggressive on defense, but he has really made some BIG improvement.

gozagswoohoo
02-19-2007, 08:41 PM
And saw him go out of his way twice to help a Pilot up. I think that's worth adding too...

roxdoc
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
He plays so loose, all over the court, lanky thin but very athletic, very at ease, just a "natural" more so than any zag I can remember. He was feeling it tonight. Still being told by other players where to stand in certain plays, but he he will get there soon.

D Hark 2003
02-20-2007, 07:40 AM
I cant wait to see what Downs can do for years to come. Its looking good for the Bulldogs next year, and I think if Micah can keep making shots and adding his defensive energy the zags definitely have a good chance of another WCC tourny championship this year.

roxdoc
02-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Hmmm - there might be something to this Burger Boy business.

D Hark 2003
02-20-2007, 08:25 AM
ba da ba ba da Im lovin it... McDonalds all americans are no joke, this guy reminds me of a more athletic version of Adam Morrison minus the stache and hair.

ZagFanatic
02-20-2007, 08:28 AM
I have to say I'm getting a little laughter out of this, in a very good-natured way. We have numerous examples of where posters have bad-mouthed a potential player or situation, only to reverse course later when things are going well. How many threads were there last year about this guy coming to GU, and the full-blown skepticism around the move? I'm very happy for Micah, that the move seems, in general, to be have been a good one for him; and that GU picked up a really good player that will help the program. Keep it up Micah!

former1dog
02-20-2007, 08:32 AM
I have to say I'm getting a little laughter out of this, in a very good-natured way. We have numerous examples of where posters have bad-mouthed a potential player or situation, only to reverse course later when things are going well. How many threads were there last year about this guy coming to GU, and the full-blown skepticism around the move? I'm very happy for Micah, that the move seems, in general, to be have been a good one for him; and that GU picked up a really good player that will help the program. Keep it up Micah!

Such is the fickle nature of the sports fan, yeah?

Really nothing new or unique to GU.

GonzPeter
02-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I was most impressed by Micah's hustle. He was getting on the floor after loose balls and fighting for every rebound. He was the hardest working player on the floor out there after Pendo. For a guy who got a reputation as a prima donna, that was great to see. Either he's turned around his attitude, or people were wrong all along. Whichever it is, I'm glad to see it!

D Hark 2003
02-20-2007, 08:48 AM
ZagFanatic:
I think its funny that you bring that up, but you dont point anyone out. So some zags fans were bad mouthing him, does that automatically mean that these five to ten zag fans that have posted praise for him were bad mouthing him last year? I dont get your post. So some people were skeptics last year, It wasnt me, I have had nothing but good things to say, this kid is still really young and he has plenty of time to get better, and he certainly will get better against WCC competition. Where are these numerous examples of people bad mouthing him?

gu03alum
02-20-2007, 08:48 AM
I thought Micah was great. I like the lineup of Pendo, Derek, Pargo, Micah, and Kuso. I think all of them are high energy guys and will make the biggest impact for us in the wcc tourney.

RebornZag
02-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Reminds me of a guy named George Girvin, The Iceman, who played for San Antonio Spurs I believe about a million years ago. The body build, the leaping, handing finger roll was his fingerprint on the game. Downs is more I think. Few said he would fill the gap that Larry G left on defense. I'm seeing that. Did you see that shot he blocked? :D I mean come on!!! Two handed. And like I've said from the beginning, he's a great passer. And as many have said here, he's a great team mate, and classy guy (helping guys from the other team to their feet).

I saw him playing the #4 spot a lot last night. He plays it well. He actualy sets great screens. Amazing for such a thin guy. That's the spot Josh was playing most of the time, and Micah is going to fill the gap. That is great coaching by Mark Few to put Micah there. I really love the team that has the 5 guards playing together: Micah, Pendo (Pendo playing the 5), Bouldin, Pargo and Drav. And we WON the boards last night. And we had 20 assists. 20!!!!!!!! That is called playing together, and that's what the Zags have lacked a lot of the time this year!!!

former1dog
02-20-2007, 08:55 AM
ZagFanatic:
I think its funny that you bring that up, but you dont point anyone out. So some zags fans were bad mouthing him, does that automatically mean that these five to ten zag fans that have posted praise for him were bad mouthing him last year? I dont get your post. So some people were skeptics last year, It wasnt me, I have had nothing but good things to say, this kid is still really young and he has plenty of time to get better, and he certainly will get better against WCC competition. Where are these numerous examples of people bad mouthing him?

D Hark,

I for one was a bit skeptical, but I don't think I was critical of Downs last year. I think my posts on the topic were of the tone, "Well, lets wait and see. I'm not sold yet on this being good for the program." At least thats how I remember it.

D Hark 2003
02-20-2007, 09:14 AM
All i'm saying is provide some evidence or examples of people bad mouthing last year and then praising this year, if you are calling people out... Downs is a baller and i think his game is going to look a lot like Morrison's game when all is said and done.

mtzaga
02-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Good pic of Downs shooting over Oregon QB Brady Leaf.

http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2002/12/04/sportslocal/export50181.txt

Nevtelen
02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
All i'm saying is provide some evidence or examples of people bad mouthing last year and then praising this year, if you are calling people out... Downs is a baller and i think his game is going to look a lot like Morrison's game when all is said and done.

I think Micah is going to be fantastic for GU, but I don't think his game will end up looking that much like Ammo's - yeah, the rediculous 3-balls might be there that Adam shot his last year, but the circus-shot floaters and old school mid-range game don't seem to be Micah's thing, at least so far. He seems more of a 3-ball or take it to the hoop kind of guy. The amount of points he can pour in might resemble Ammo, though, when he has the whole season to work with next year.

Zagster
02-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Next year when Ravio leaves, Micah will be able to stretch the court and that will be big. His 3ís are a good 2-3 feet behind the arch and he can create for himself, not to mention play a little D. He will be a great Zag. It will be fun to see how he does with the extra playing time this year.

roxdoc
02-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Agree - he needs to work on the mid-range jumper. I have confidence it will be there.

And hey I wasn't against him last year - to boot I wasn't even positing, just lurking then!

SunDevilGolfZag
02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
He works just as hard on defense as on offense -- he can guard someone. Great things could be on the horizon