• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagSwag
    Bulldog Fan
    • Aug 2019

A Friendly Reminder - Family Members of Recruits Frequent This Board

First and foremost congratulations to both Dominick and Julian, the program is lucky to have them and I for one can't wait to see them on the court together next year.

With that being said this post from Dom's father (who along with his son has had 110% unwavering support for the program for over 2 years) confirms what we've argued about on the Whelping Box for years; Parents and family members do read this board, and negative comments (especially on things beyond basketball like work ethic, attitude, etc.) will be noticed and will be remembered.

I know this isn't needed for most, but let's all just keep in mind that while this board should never be free from constructive criticism and discussions around players, we need to do a better job at refraining from personal attacks that could potentially jeopardize the reputation of our fanbase or hurt future recruitment.
  • GUZag08
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2008

Good call ZagSwag. If people don’t think this is a real thing, google Vander Blue and why he de-committed from Wisconsin a couple years back. So let’s not trash players/recruits! Be supportive, it’s the Zag way

Comment

• Malastein
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Thank you very much for chiming in! Great to have family members of current and future Zags on this board. How is Dom doing this season? What has been the biggest thing he’s been trying to add to his game? Can’t wait for him and his friends to join up with the current squad!!!
      The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• Gonzagit
        Kennel Club Material
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
        Thank you very much for chiming in! Great to have family members of current and future Zags on this board. How is Dom doing this season? What has been the biggest thing he’s been trying to add to his game? Can’t wait for him and his friends to join up with the current squad!!!
        FYI - I don't think Dom's father made the initial post. Just a reminder for the board based on his Twitter comments.

Comment

• Malastein
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gonzagit View Post
          FYI - I don't think Dom's father made the initial post. Just a reminder for the board based on his Twitter comments.
          Indeed, just reread the post, and I missed that part in skimming through it.
          The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• webspinnre
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I can confirm that I have had private messages with parents of new recruits and current players. They might not all be reading this board, but some of them are.
            I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• JAGzag
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Not worried about this issue. If it were a legit concern, not a single kid would commit to schools like KY with the most annoying fan base in the country. Half those folks are morons. At least 99% of this board is respectful and well informed. Hell, if anything this board is a marketing plus!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                I can confirm that I have had private messages with parents of new recruits and current players. They might not all be reading this board, but some of them are.
                After meeting Megan and Matt Timme after Friday night's game, I can confirm that she follows the threads here.

O/T, Lost Oak Winery is set to release a 2018 vintage of Cabernet Franc. I'll be heading down to Burleson next week to pick up a few bottles.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JAGzag View Post
                  Not worried about this issue. If it were a legit concern, not a single kid would commit to schools like KY with the most annoying fan base in the country. Half those folks are morons. At least 99% of this board is respectful and well informed. Hell, if anything this board is a marketing plus!
                  Ryan's and Admon's families were welcomed into the Zag Family Friday night. I had the chance to speak with several family members when I wasn't trying to get player photos with my grandson. Had a nice conversation with Ryan's dad, and one of Admon's aunts insisted that I got into a picture with Admon and Big D.

I got a laugh out of Ryan when I offered a mea culpa for my remarks after the North Dakota game...I opined he was sometimes "out of control" on the court. He really settled down against the Aggies.

The Zags are akin to my two dozen nieces and nephews (my wife's side of the family is HUGE), where I'm known as the crazy uncle. I've got their backs, I'll leave the criticizing to others.

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Shooter
                    Go follow a couple Power Conference teams forums then come back here. This place is beyond tame.
                    If a single, high ranking recruit goes elsewhere, because of bad postings here...that doesn't matter.

Also. Isn't Gonzaga supposed to be better than any P5 school, especially in morals and ethics?
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                      If a single, high ranking recruit goes elsewhere, because of bad postings here...that doesn't matter.

Also. Isn't Gonzaga supposed to be better than any P5 school, especially in morals and ethics?
                      On the other hand is there a good reason to trash a recruit on here? I know people get emotional when the recruiting game is not swinging there way but the 18-17 year old's owe us fans nothing.

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • May 2019

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                        After meeting Megan and Matt Timme after Friday night's game, I can confirm that she follows the threads here.

O/T, Lost Oak Winery is set to release a 2018 vintage of Cabernet Franc. I'll be heading down to Burleson next week to pick up a few bottles.
                        Wow hate to admit it but never thought of texas growing wine grapes! Cabernet Franc interesting.. %100 or a bit of a blend? Any good?

Comment

• Shooter
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by willandi View Post

I just don't think a recruit cares very much about what the "average Joe fan" on this forum thinks about them. If you really believe what you say on here matters to a recruit you're probably an egotistical douch. On the other hand if a recruit can't take some criticisms on a public forum from a few "average Joe fan's" how is he going to do on the road late in a game close game and he's shooting 1-1 and 2 makes wins the game?
                          I must of missed the thread where fans on here need to have better morals and ethics than P5 schools lol. Again very egotistical in my opinion to believe let alone say that aloud.

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
                          On the other hand is there a good reason to trash a recruit on here? I know people get emotional when the recruiting game is not swinging there way but the 18-17 year old's owe us fans nothing.
                          I personally wouldn't trash a recruit. And I don't encourage anyone to do so. But it is going to happen on occasion.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
                            I just don't think a recruit cares very much about what the "average Joe fan" on this forum thinks about them. If you really believe what you say on here matters to a recruit you're probably an egotistical douch. On the other hand if a recruit can't take some criticisms on a public forum from a few "average Joe fan's" how is he going to do on the road late in a game close game and he's shooting 1-1 and 2 makes wins the game?
                            I must of missed the thread where fans on here need to have better morals and ethics than P5 schools lol. Again very egotistical in my opinion to believe let alone say that aloud.
                            There has been numerous recruits who have withdrew there commitments and have cited message boards and feeling disrespected as there reason. Look at the first post if you need anymore evidence. I don't think its egotistical for a teen to read these boards and see what people think of them. Should they have thicker skin? Perhaps, but I don't think there is a need and I think its wise to have forum rules against trash talking recruits.

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Teenagers don't have thick skins. I suspect parents of heavily recruited teenagers have the same malady.

When it comes to recruits ( and current players, as far as I'm concerned ) :

If you can't say anything positive, then don't say anything at all.
                              Last edited by RenoZag; 01-06-2020, 05:13 AM.
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                              X