• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Reflections of GU vs Montana Game

AWESOME!!!

Congrats to Coach Few and his staff for getting the Zags ready to Play. The Zags were ready and showed it in a very good first half. The DEFENSE was just awesome I think. The best ever. Jeremy and LG are like glue and water. Daye and Pendo were also impressive defensively, and Matt has certainly improved. Kuso is solid inside, but fouled too much I thought. I loved Pendo's Defense tonight, and his leadership and just kind of running the offense and keeping the guys focused.

It was great to see LG out there for so much of the game teaming up with Pargo. They are a formidable duo on defense I believe. LG is like glue, and his quickness and speed matches up with Jeremy's illusiveness and slipping and sliding all over the court

What can be said about Austin Daye. Just an incredible talent, and he had 20 and 10. The kid CAN REBOUND AND PLAY D. I think he had 3 blocks, and is very quick. I grew very tired of the announcers saying he couldn't play D.

Matt had a very good game and I was really glad to see it. He looked a lot quicker. He didn't play much the second half. Any reason anyone knows about?

The Team is talented and deep.

Congradulations for a very good win.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • ZagZen
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2007

I agree. Great to see LG out there. very nice showing. And OMG Daye, what a firecracker.
    Great start to the season.
    "It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.”
    ~Joseph Campbell ~

Comment

• zagfever86
      Bulldog Fan
      • Feb 2007

Daye was a beast. I hope the staff has the kid in the weight room though. Micah seemed to be forcing it too much. He needs to let the game come to him.

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagfever86 View Post
        Micah seemed to be forcing it too much. He needs to let the game come to him.
        On the contrary, I think Micah was too unselfish. That, and his shot was a off for this game.

I was really impressed with all the other aspects of Micah's game. He was rebounding, blocking shots and playing tough D.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Great game by LG. Great steals and looks to be much more confident on the offensive side. I was also impressed with Kuso and his presence down low, especially with Sacre in foul trouble. We really really need Theo back. Foster looked uninspired and lost out there. He was consistently out of position and plain can't catch the ball. Other than that, great great game.

Comment

• Nevtelen
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
            On the contrary, I think Micah was too unselfish. That, and his shot was a off for this game.

I was really impressed with all the other aspects of Micah's game. He was rebounding, blocking shots and playing tough D.
            I agree with that - he looked a little out of sync offensively for some reason. A couple times he had what looked to be good 3-pt opportunities and he turned them down to pass. Perhaps he was just out of sorts from playing out of position at times?

Whatever - with all the work he's reportedly put in and all the effort he showed, he'll be a solid part of the line-up this year.

Comment

• Section 116
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Micah will be and is fine. As has been mentioned numerous times leading up to today's season opener, it may well be we will see numerous different leading scorers as games go by. Off one game, however, I have to believe Daye will be the leading scorer on more than one occassion. He certainly does not look a freshman out there and his high ranking as an imcoming recruit is certainly justified.

Comment

• Thomas_Sutpen
                Kennel Club
                • Feb 2007

Since we had a 20+ point lead, I imagine Few let Matt rest his ankle. I saw him on the bench rotating his foot around a lot trying to keep it loose.

Originally posted by Reborn View Post

Matt had a very good game and I was really glad to see it. He looked a lot quicker. He didn't play much the second half. Any reason anyone knows about?

Comment

• JAGzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

Agreed, it looked like a very good first showing tonight. The thought that keeps coming back to me is we did this with our most dominant player on the bench ... this team should really peak at the right time, when it counts the most.

Comment

• D Hark 2003
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

I'd like to see more consistent outside shooting by pargo next game.
                    GO ZAGS

Comment

• gamagin
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

reborn . . .

you might enjoy this . . .

there was so much going on away from the ball that I thought the whole second half was going to take another day.

fouls, too . . .thanks to the busy work of Kuso, pendo and the blue collar group that seems to make it hell for whoever happens to be on the floor.

with about 5-8 minutes left there were abouthalf a dozen fouls away from the ball. that's because the lads were busy breaking up whatever play MT wanted to set up. Or whatever player they wanted to set up.

Imo, they also make everyone better. the reason Pargo and Pendo and Micah and just about everyone else got boards today was largely because Kuso was holding the rightful boarder hostage, or out of play, or out of bounds, or outside the key wondering what the heck happened to him.

the man's a root hog. An absolute bloodhound with a scent for the ball.

wonderful teamwork . . . we'll never see it in the stats, but I loved it.

best,
                      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• theothegreat21
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2007

Outstanding performance by the Zags today. Its incredible to think of the amount of positive aspects you can take from the game today. I think the finest positive to take from this game today was LG and the great defensive intensity he brought to the game. The halfcourt and fullcourt traps and press that we were able to run with him and Austin and Pargo trapping was incredibly effective and fun to watch. I was also very impressed by Matt's performance today. He was attacking the rim very strong and his jump shot looked great.
                        What has me worried is the depth and play of our big men currently. I thought Kuso was incredibly effective and tough and has really improved, but beyone that there was not much from the bigs. Sacre was tough but picked up quick fouls and really brought nothing on offense. And I think it was fairly clear that Foster is nowhere near being able to contribute at this level. Numerous times he left his man open on offense and gave up points. He also was weak with the ball and his hands do not seem to have improved at all. To be completely honest I do not feel he can contribute at the DI level at this point in his career. I believe that Sacre will improve and hopefully Theo can have a strong impact once he returns from the family tragedy. This was a great performance by the Zags and i think it is quite clear we could be in for something special this season
                        ONIONS!!!!!!

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Anyone else notice that Kuso looks like Micheal Johnson when he is running down the court? He has to have the longest running stride of anyone on the team. He can get back on transition in a heartbeat.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

I am so proud of LG, to see him begin to fulfill his potential and literally change the game on both ends, not just on D. That's the best job of finishing I have ever seen him do.

Daye was our best player on the court today. This could change from one player to the next from game to game (Pargo, Micah, Matt...Josh...), but today was Micah's turn. His length causes all sorts of troubles for other teams.

Zags were on the cusp of a 40 point killing but let off the gas when they were up by 29.

If this isn't a one-game fluke, RayG's D is worth its weight in gold. I hope it's every game.

Matt played very, very well, as did Pargo. Kuso was workman-like.

I can't imagine how awful Colorado State must be. Montana is your basic so-so Big Sky team. Hope they win out, though. Go Griz.

It'll say day-to-day but Josh's foot is fractured and we won't see him play for 6-7 weeks.

A good start. Oodles of talent. Great depth, thank goodness.
                            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Zagdawg
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

If Josh has a fractured foot-- I have a hard time figuring out why he was warming up with the team before the game?---Any ideas anyone?--
                              No limp-- He didn't elevate like he normal can-- but he looked ok--

Comment

Working...
                              X