PDA

View Full Version : Gurganious

dim4sum
11-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Larry Gurganious' tenacious D took Montana completely out of its offense. People that hadn't seen him in over a year, may have forgotten that he can score,too. He gives the team both energy and cohesiveness. Therefore, I nominate a new nickname for him---"Glue." Anyone second the motion.

strikezag
11-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Second the motion, third, and then fourth. He was outstanding tonight. welcome back Larry. Wow.

Reborn
11-11-2007, 02:27 PM
LG and Pargo will become one of the best guad trandums in America. LG is just flat out committed to 100% full-court/full-out defense all the time. He is definated a thorn in the side to teams. Pargo is also playing much better D, probably inspired by LG. I had a very, very sneaky feeling that we would be seeing this out of LG, because as I have often said, I liked him better than Pargo when they were freshman.

LG also takes nothing away from Matt because I thought Matt had a great game as well. We now have a very good 3 guard rotation and we will be ok wihile Gray is healing that wrist. I would have liked seeing Gray play though because I'm a big fan of his too.

And yes!!! Larry G can score. And He can score in a way that every team looks for....with slashing drives to the hoop and foul shooting. He can also rebound very well, as does Pargo. I'll look at their rebounding stats soon.

HRZag
11-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I too was pleasently surprised by his scoring ability. Nice bonus.

Kids looked good today.

Go Zags.

Radbooks
11-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I liked him better than Pargo when they were freshman.

I did too and it was nice to see him playing again today. I hope we have TWO years of them playing together. :)

bigblahla
11-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Larry "The Glue" Gurganious. I like it . It could stick. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

JAGzag
11-11-2007, 02:38 PM
LG and Pargo will become one of the best guad trandums in America.

Reborn, love the enthusiasm, but I don't think you'll garnish much support for "one of the best in the country" comparisons. LG is and will always be a lock down defender, but offense is not his strong suit.

Reborn
11-11-2007, 02:45 PM
You will see Jagzag!!! :D THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!

Best doesn't always HAVE to mean offense, even though we most often think of it that way. Maybe a combination of offense, defense and REBOUNDING (which they both do very well) may be the difference I am talking about. But the most important measure is VICTORIES!!!! There's nothing like winning and I believe we'll see the best of these two in the toughest of games....

Just my humble opinion!!!

zag67
11-11-2007, 03:10 PM
I have to admit that I was one of those that did not believe that LG would be as good as we saw today. I felt that his D was super, his rebounding was solid, and he drove well to the basket. He will take away the hurt for not having Gray. I also am wondering how long it will take Steven to get his shot back (since it is his right hand)? But I do agree that Jeremy, Matt, and LG should be a great set of guards and depending on who we play a different set will get more time (maybe we will even see all 3).
Larry had a great game and hope he has a great set of 3 more years.

zag67
11-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I have to admit that I was one of those that did not believe that LG would be as good as we saw today. I felt that his D was super, his rebounding was solid, and he drove well to the basket. He will take away the hurt for not having Gray. I also am wondering how long it will take Steven to get his shot back (since it is his right hand)? But I do agree that Jeremy, Matt, and LG should be a great set of guards and depending on who we play a different set will get more time (maybe we will even see all 3).
Larry had a great game and hope he has a great set of 3 more years.

Zag79
11-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Larry showed exactly what he can do today. Everyone knows his D is as good as almost anyone we have had in recent years, but dont sleep on his O. LG is a very effecive slasher and is going to hit a ton of buckets with his cutting and ability to finish when he gets to the rim. Nice game Larry, and i for one am super excited hes back.

ZagFanatic
11-11-2007, 05:53 PM
I was really excited to see Larry back. He was a great spark plug his freshman year and showed good potential. I remember him being something of Errol's protege on defense. Some of you may not remember, because he wasn't as highly touted as some of our recent recruits, but I think he was #3 rated West Coast wing in his class and definitely has offensive ability. Obviously he's athletic enough to really turn the corner, and with Gray out he might get the opportunity to display his worth with every game. Nice job Larry - welcome back!!

MedZag
11-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Told y'all L was hungry. Sitting out last year drove him crazy.

TheBunnieRancher
11-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Seems to me he lead the team in scoring for one of the exhibition games his first year here. Not bad for someone who keeps getting tagged for his offensive woes on this board.

Larryzag
11-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Montana was on a run to start the 3rd quarter. Few puts LG in and GU goes on a 9-0 run. We are going to need his energy on defense this year. The whole team picks up the pace when he is in. On offense he was very active. I would say that with his 12 points and his defense he was just as valuable as Austin or Jeremy tonight.

ZagNut08
11-11-2007, 09:38 PM
I'll be honest, I didn't expect much out of him this year...but his defense was something else out there. I was glad to see the control he had above the rim. He seemed to have the close range down today. His fresh year he got to the rim but seemed to get flustered/rushed and miss the gimmies...guess its why you don't write a player off after a freshman season

great game today by lg, hope he keeps it up

JLGutrocks
11-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Told y'all L was hungry. Sitting out last year drove him crazy.

Med, you're right on. The slow healing fracture had me believing a miracle would have to happen for him to come back. It did and he did. Thank God in Heaven. His display of heart and soul was nothing short of drive, determination, grit, and fear. He will amaze us this year. Congratulations to you Larry, on your coming back party. We were all pulling for you but never thought you would surprize us like this. Wow!! Welcome back kid.

Continue on.

Nevtelen
11-11-2007, 10:13 PM
There was a definite reason Few mentioned him first in the post-game interview on players that did well. He was right on, too - LG absolutely changed the game with his defense. Montana is a lot better team than they looked today. LG, with Pargo, just totally gummed up the works. The double-figure scoring really surprised me, too. Only his D would be good enough for him to get PT, but add that scoring punch and it allows him to stay in longer since he's not a liability on offense. We are really going to need him to bring his A game vs WSU and vs Tenn this year. He'll get a tough warm-up for those games guarding Lee for W Kentucky in the GAS.