PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to celebrate the new season

jazzdelmar
10-05-2019, 06:04 AM
Kansas athletic director Jeff Long issued an apology Friday night following a performance at Allen Fieldhouse by hip hop artist Snoop Dogg that included pole dancers, a money gun and profanity.

Snoop performed at the end of the athletic department's "Late Night in the Phog" preseason celebration following scrimmages by the men's and women's basketball teams.

"We apologize for the Snoop Dogg performance at Late Night," Long said in a statement. "We made it clear to the entertainers' managers that we expected a clean version of the show and took additional steps to communicate to our fans, including moving the artist to the final act of the evening, to ensure that no basketball activities would be missed if anyone did not want to stay for his show. I take full responsibility for not thoroughly vetting all the details of the performance and offer my personal apology to those who were offended. We strive to create a family atmosphere at Kansas and fell short of that this evening."

To promote Snoop Dogg's performance, Kansas last week produced a video with Self wearing a shirt with a large "Adidas Basketball" logo and a chain with a "$" sign.

Zagger
10-05-2019, 06:20 AM
Well, I've got to say my neck is in pretty good shape for all the head shaking I've been doing in these times. I'm just plain dumbfounded at what some people think are good ideas. Mixing the entertainment industry with college sports seems counterproductive. With the Zags and KITK it is the team that is celebrated - good! - I'd hate to see KITK end up having added entertainment that had zip to do with basketball.

Snagglezag
10-05-2019, 06:39 AM
You can thank Adidas for this moment of brilliance. Snoop Dogg is an Adidas sponsor and Adidas cut a $196 million check to KU. Despite that, the President, AD and PR should have known better. Moronic given the state of things in Lawrence. Plus, KU basketball doesn't need the window dressing to draw excitement for their upcoming season.

2Zags3Pups
10-05-2019, 06:45 AM
What exactly did the AD think the poles were for during the setup?

bartruff1
10-05-2019, 07:04 AM
Snoop Dog in Kansas.....What could possibly go wrong...….

RenoZag
10-05-2019, 08:01 AM
Snoop Dog in Kansas.....What could possibly go wrong...….

:roll:

Well-played

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-05-2019, 09:56 AM
If it was the other Adidas school, Louisville, the pole dancers would have been entertaining the recruits in other ways...

NotoriousZ
10-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Kansas AD: I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part.

Self: And we’re just the guys to do it.

Malastein
10-05-2019, 11:07 AM
http://images.app.goo.gl/ZVLXzSXjSq2dWKuXA

jazzdelmar
10-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Snoop, wearing a blue No. 20 Kansas jersey, played for about 35 minutes in front of a raucous crowd that included the basketball teams. At one point, he shot a money gun full of fake $100 bills featuring his face over the team bench areas. The rapper met with the players in the locker room before the show.

Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self missed the majority of the performance after returning to the locker room, but he said he was caught off guard by some of its content after being told it would be "radio edited."

"That's not the direction that anybody at our school would want that to go at all," Self said. "Regardless of the entertainment that it provided many, it was still not the right way to provide the entertainment."

The performance comes as Self's program faces five NCAA Level I violations this week, including a lack of institutional control charge and a violation of coaching responsibilities standard.

DixieZag
10-05-2019, 11:31 AM
I cannot believe I just read all this.

The school with the single most to lose in the NCAA investigations (What else does Kansas have to make money? Football? Pffft), just went so far beyond what I could EVER have come up with as the dumbest thing it could have done to make its situation worse.

I literally couldn't have cooked-up as reckless a scheme.

And the AD and Self are full of it. They are just so beholden to that Addidas money that when Addidas said "this is what we're doing" they said "okay" and prayed for the best, hoped that their later "lament" sounded earnest enough.

jazzdelmar
10-05-2019, 11:43 AM

The school with the single most to lose in the NCAA investigations (What else does Kansas have to make money? Football? Pffft), just went so far beyond what I could EVER have come up with as the dumbest thing it could have done to make its situation worse.

And the AD and Self are full of it. They are just so beholden to that Addidas money that when Addidas said "this is what we're doing" they said "okay" and prayed for the best, hoped that their later "lament" sounded earnest enough.

Embodiment of blue blood arrogance.

ZagDad84
10-05-2019, 11:59 AM
...Kansas received an NCAA notice that alleges lack of institutional control, three Level 1 violations in men's basketball and a head coach violation against Jayhawk's coach Bill Self...

Head coaches who commit a Level 1 violation can be suspended for a season or more. According to the NCAA Manual as head coach, the NCAA says Self is accountable for his program.

So which low-level assistant is going to get the ax for last night's stunt?

Kansas, who finds themselves in a deep hole, asks for a shovel instead of a rope.

Unbelievable,

ZagDad

jazzdelmar
10-05-2019, 12:46 PM
The spin begins.....

LAWRENCE, Kan. — The University of Kansas apologized for its risque Late Night at the Phog event in which rapper Snoop Dogg performed, stripper poles were wheeled onto the Allen Fieldhouse floor and fake money was shot over the heads of prospective recruits.

Athletic director Jeff Long said Friday night “we expected a clean version of the show.”

The Jayhawks instead got an R-rated performance for their annual basketball kickoff and another big headache as they deal with a high-level NCAA infractions case tied to recruiting.

“We made it clear to the entertainers’ managers that we expected a clean version of the show and took additional steps to communicate to our fans, including moving the artist to the final act of the evening, to ensure that no basketball activities would be missed if anyone did not want to stay for his show,” Long said in a statement. “I take full responsibility for not thoroughly vetting all the details of the performance and offer my personal apology to those who were offended.
“We strive to create a family atmosphere at Kansas and fell short of that this evening.”

Kansas has been putting on Late Night for 35 years, but what began as a scrimmage to celebrate the start of basketball practices has turned into a night of skits, music and entertainment

That’s included big-name rappers in recent years, such as Tech N9ne, Lil Yaghty and 2 Chainz.

None of them brought the cache of Snoop, though. The 47-year-old rapper and well-known sports fan was expected to take the minds of players, fans and recruits off the specter of the NCAA investigation and turn attention fully to a season in which the Jayhawks are expected to be title contenders.

The school even promoted his appearance with a social media video of Hall of Fame coach Bill Self wearing a gaudy chain and Adidas shirt — the focus of the NCAA inquiry has been on the apparel company’s dealings with recruits, including whether officials paid them to steer them to its schools.

Wearing a No. 20 jersey with “Snoop” on the back, the artist performed for about 35 minutes to a full house that included the men’s and women’s basketball teams. But he wound up singing unedited versions of several hits, such as “Gin and Juice” and “Drop It Like It’s Hot,” as pole dancers performed and fake $100 bills featuring the rapper’s face were shot over players and recruits.

Self said he wasn’t feeling well and spent most of the performance in the locker room. He later told The Kansas City Star he expected a “radio edited” version of the songs.

“I don’t guess you have visuals on radio. I learned that tonight,” Self told The Star. “That’s not the direction anybody at our school would want that to go at all, regardless of any entertainment that it provided many, it was still not the right way to provide the entertainment.”
S

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-05-2019, 01:02 PM

Spot on.

Kansas AD apologizing for Snoop Dog being Snoop Dog when he needs to be apologizing for Bill Self being Bill Self. KU athletics needs a complete reboot

Mantua
10-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Maybe Yeezy would have been a better choice?

Adidas U.S. is nuts.

ZagDad84
10-05-2019, 03:02 PM
“We made it clear to the entertainers’ managers that we expected a clean version of the show and took additional steps to communicate to our fans, including moving the artist to the final act of the evening, to ensure that no basketball activities would be missed if anyone did not want to stay for his show,” Long said in a statement. “I take full responsibility for not thoroughly vetting all the details of the performance and offer my personal apology to those who were offended.
“We strive to create a family atmosphere at Kansas and fell short of that this evening.”

Self said he wasn’t feeling well and spent most of the performance in the locker room. He later told The Kansas City Star he expected a “radio edited” version of the songs.

“I don’t guess you have visuals on radio. I learned that tonight,” Self told The Star. “That’s not the direction anybody at our school would want that to go at all, regardless of any entertainment that it provided many, it was still not the right way to provide the entertainment.”

What part of "lack of institutional control" do Athletic director Jeff Long and head coach Bill Self not understand??

ZagDad

JPtheBeasta
10-05-2019, 03:09 PM
I am absolutely stunned that they let something like this happen. If I saw this happen on a TV show I would think it was too far-fetched and had jumped the shark. I wonder how many people over there are going to start rooting for the Shockers after all of this...

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-05-2019, 03:17 PM

I don’t see any NCAA violations with this. To my knowledge, the NCAA has not prohibited concerts on college campuses. These events routinely involve elaborate entertainment.

The “scandal” exists only to the extent that Kansas citizenry was offended. They are apologizing to their donors, not to the NCAA. I agree that they knew exactly what they were getting when they asked Snoop to perform. I’ll bet that most of the recruits and students in attendance had a great time. If that stunt successfully wooed a single prospect, Coach Self would privately admit that he got what he wanted. He’ll probably do it all the same way to land the next one.

drvenkman05
10-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Did y’all really expect something different? This is Kansas we’re talking about - they are the most arrogant program in the nation!

seacatfan
10-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Is it bad that I'm mostly shocked that Snoop is still relevant? I thought he rode off into the sunset years ago. He can't really be the first choice of today's college aged kids.

He did put on a good show at the Mitch re-release into the wild party in "Old School." And that was like 15 years ago!

Zagceo
10-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Unbelievable .....how can so many be so stupid. entire administration

JPtheBeasta
10-05-2019, 10:19 PM
I don’t see any NCAA violations with this. To my knowledge, the NCAA has not prohibited concerts on college campuses. These events routinely involve elaborate entertainment.

The “scandal” exists only to the extent that Kansas citizenry was offended. They are apologizing to their donors, not to the NCAA. I agree that they knew exactly what they were getting when they asked Snoop to perform. I’ll bet that most of the recruits and students in attendance had a great time. If that stunt successfully wooed a single prospect, Coach Self would privately admit that he got what he wanted. He’ll probably do it all the same way to land the next one.

"Bad optics" is the term that comes to mind. Having Snoop Dogg on campus shooting a money gun after signing a new contract with Adidas earlier in the year, the issues with pay-to-play involving the program and an Adidas executive, and NCAA violations hanging in the balance, seems like an unapologetic way of handing things. The term "doubling down" was used in a Tweet I read, which seems apropos. "Tone deaf" is another one that comes to mind.

johno
10-05-2019, 11:14 PM
I really don't see anything wrong with having a little harmless fun.

DixieZag
10-06-2019, 05:27 AM

JP hit it exactly right.

They are going to be attempting to convince the NCAA they're not in bed with a shoe company and then they go out and prove just how in bed they are with a very specific shoe company.

Exactly how they proved themselves to be in bed with the specific shoe company took a level of imagination of which I'm incapable.

"And then we want strippers and poles in the middle, with Shoop firing fake money out of giant guns . and .. and …"

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-06-2019, 07:14 AM
"Bad optics" is the term that comes to mind. Having Snoop Dogg on campus shooting a money gun after signing a new contract with Adidas earlier in the year, the issues with pay-to-play involving the program and an Adidas executive, and NCAA violations hanging in the balance, seems like an unapologetic way of handing things. The term "doubling down" was used in a Tweet I read, which seems apropos. "Tone deaf" is another one that comes to mind.

I can see that. In a vacuum, this would be a, “running with scissors,” level bad idea. When you’re under investigation for multiple armed robberies with sharp objects, “running with scissors” in front of thousands of people looks a lot worse.

JPtheBeasta
10-06-2019, 10:21 AM
I can see that. In a vacuum, this would be a, “running with scissors,” level bad idea. When you’re under investigation for multiple armed robberies with sharp objects, “running with scissors” in front of thousands of people looks a lot worse.

That’s a great analogy. I tried to think of one but couldn’t.

I think the money gun is worse than the stripper pole in this case, which is weird to say.

Birddog
10-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Yahoo Sports take on this affair with a video of Self
https://sports.yahoo.com/bill-self-kansas-fall-victim-to-snoop-doggs-acrobatic-dancers-and-money-cannons-175446368.html

drvenkman05
10-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Kansas truly believes they have done nothing wrong. Ergo, they had no qualms about putting this on.

That’s a great analogy. I tried to think of one but couldn’t.

I think the money gun is worse than the stripper pole in this case, which is weird to say.

bdmiller7
10-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Yahoo Sports take on this affair with a video of Self
https://sports.yahoo.com/bill-self-kansas-fall-victim-to-snoop-doggs-acrobatic-dancers-and-money-cannons-175446368.html

Thought this was spot on.

drvenkman05
10-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Agreed! It perfectly sums-up Kansas’ arrogance.

Thought this was spot on.