• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tyra
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

UW rationale?

While none of the pre-season polls have the UW in the top 25, they have been mentioned as a distinctly possible Dance prospect. Several posters have also suggested as much. I'd be interested in why people believe the Huskies might be better this year than last (when they didn't make the NIT). It's hard for me to believe they get that much better. Theories?
  • AnonyMoose
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2007

I don't get it, they lost Hawes, or was it Brockman, or was it both? Damn the offseason was short X_X.

Comment

• devod
      Redshirt
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AnonyMoose View Post
      I don't get it, they lost Hawes, or was it Brockman, or was it both? Damn the offseason was short X_X.
      Addition by subtraction.

All the current players on the Huskies were recruited for a fast run-and-gun offense. When Hawes signed, Romar made a pathetic attempt at creating a slower offense focused around Hawes. It screwed everything up. Letting the current players get back to their preferred play will help a lot.

Two things haven't changed. Their starting point guard (Dentmon) is below average for Pac-10. And Romar is a below average in-game coach. I believe that a NCAA tournament bid is possible but not a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination. If it happens it's because the team bonds and learns how to play within itself, it will have little to do with Romar. This is the same thing that happen with Roy, Nate, Will and Bobby. They came together and just played as a better team then others (thus were the "Roll it out Romar" came from). The individual talents of Nate and Roy were too much for opposing teams. I do not believe that the 2007-2008 incarnation of the Huskies has that kind of talent, determination or leadership. Time will tell. I'd predict a 5th - 7th place finish for the U and 40% possibility of a NCAA tournament bid, 75% chance of a NIT bid.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• HRZag
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Feb 2007

Devod, nice

That was a very rational and lucid explanation.

No need to wade through a load a %#@1.

Thanks.

Comment

• MickMick
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

Two words describe the recent Husky rise (and then fall).

Brandon Roy
          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

The ewe is gonna' lose a lot of games in league. 7th place is the best I see for them. The Committee won't go that deep.
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Nevtelen
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I honestly see them about 5th or 6th. They'll do better than Oregon St, Arizona St for sure and I think they can finish higher than Cal and USC (I know it's fashionable to jump off that bandwagon today, but I haven't been on it all off-season - OJ Mayo does not a good team make).

Comment

• zaguarxj
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I agree with devod. Every time I saw them play last year, I wondered why they didn't get the ball to Pondexter a lot more, instead of trying to force it to Hawes. Pondexter's an exciting player who can really create. The other "addition by subtraction" is Appleby. I don't wish an injury on anyone, but I think UW will discover that they're a better team without him on the floor.

Comment

• TR11Zag
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Maybe

Jake Locker is going to play Basketball too!!

Comment

• Nevtelen
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zaguarxj View Post
                    I agree with devod. Every time I saw them play last year, I wondered why they didn't get the ball to Pondexter a lot more, instead of trying to force it to Hawes. Pondexter's an exciting player who can really create. The other "addition by subtraction" is Appleby. I don't wish an injury on anyone, but I think UW will discover that they're a better team without him on the floor.
                    Pondexter missed a lot last year and played bad D. That's why he didn't get the ball more. He clearly has some talent, but he needs to use it better than he did last season. Hawes was pretty solid, OTOH, in terms of scoring.

IMO Appleby isn't a bad player, he's just a role-player was had to do more than that last season. If he can just be the designated 3-pt shooter off the bench, he'll do fine.

Comment

• cbbfanatic
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Aug 2007

agree a lot with devod.

also think the huskies need to adopt brockmans mentality of toughness and heart. if this team comes out and outworks their opponent consistently, i will not be surprised at all to see them in the tournament. POTENTIAL talent is there, its just a matter of bringing it out. they could be an interesting team to watch this year.

Comment

• Birddog
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Are all the Mods asleep? This thread and at least 2 others belong on a different forum.

"General Basketball" A place to talk about teams other than GU

Birddog
                        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                        All mimsy were the borogoves,
                        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Working...
                        X