PDA

View Full Version : OT - Jayhawks in for a world of pain

strikenowhere
09-20-2019, 01:52 PM
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article235306247.html

The NCAA is preparing to issue a notice of allegations that details multiple major violations in the Kansas men’s basketball program, The Star has learned.

The notice will come, sources told The Star, after a summer of speculation following a top NCAA official saying the organization would make findings against schools involved in a pay-for-play recruiting scheme investigated by the FBI.

There will probably be other schools...<cough, cough, UoA>

Zagdawg
09-20-2019, 02:45 PM
"ESPN recently reported that NCAA investigators in addition to N.C. State were working on cases at KU, Arizona, Auburn, Creighton, Louisville, LSU and USC."

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article235306247.html

Zagdawg
09-20-2019, 02:50 PM
"Any school found guilty of violations has the ability to play the shift card and pass any punishment earned to the University of Pacific if filed within the first 30 days of punishment announcement."

NotoriousZ
09-20-2019, 03:19 PM
"Any school found guilty of violations has the ability to play the shift card and pass any punishment earned to the University of Pacific if filed within the first 30 days of punishment announcement."

Lol BYU is also craving more deferred penalties.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Might this be why Zags have an unused 2019-20 scholarship on the table? Perhaps a midseason transfer opportunity.

sittingon50
09-20-2019, 03:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X78i13q-atk

JPtheBeasta
09-20-2019, 04:56 PM
The pay-for-play scandal has shown me that it is alright to pay players unless it’s in the form of used Volkswagen Jettas.

TheOtherGreatOne
09-20-2019, 04:58 PM
To much money involved with these big name schools. I will believe there will be something done to these schools when I see it, and not before. Little schools such as Pacific or San Jose State, will be in trouble, because the NCAA will have to show they are really They burn BYU for giving enforcing the rules, so they will burn these small schools for violations that don't mean doodly squat. They burn BYU for a booster giving a player $5000 that the school knew nothing about, but do nothing to Arizona for giving a player $150.000. That makes a lot of sence. Then when BYU gripes about it they suspend their best player for 9 games for making a simple mistake. Moral of that story is don't gripe to the NCAA or they will go on a witch hunt against your school.

DixieZag
09-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Creighton?

MickMick
09-20-2019, 05:03 PM
Let me know when it is an infraction to hire a club coach as a temporary assistant just to gain access. The list would be much bigger.

There are rules and then there are ethics. Not necessarily always the same.

GonzaGAW
09-20-2019, 05:11 PM
- what does a "world of pain" mean?
- to me it means loss of scholarships and prohibited from the ncaa tournament.

- and I will fall flat on my back if I see that happening to Kansas or Arizona, maybe Louisville and auburn as they come with some baggage.
- just saying, I will believe it when I see it, as I look straight up at my ceiling.

GoZags
09-20-2019, 05:21 PM
Might this be why Zags have an unused 2019-20 scholarship on the table? Perhaps a midseason transfer opportunity.

I had thought that there would be a "late August" surprise ... but for a variety of reasons, that didn't happen.

Mantua
09-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Creighton?

Creighton?

JPtheBeasta
09-20-2019, 07:17 PM
Creighton?

Outlier as a non-big-money school?

ZagRecruitWatch
09-20-2019, 08:28 PM
- to me it means loss of scholarships and prohibited from the ncaa tournament.

- and I will fall flat on my back if I see that happening to Kansas or Arizona, maybe Louisville and auburn as they come with some baggage.
- just saying, I will believe it when I see it, as I look straight up at my ceiling.

Totally agree. NCAA has a history of not punishing big brand names.

willandi
09-20-2019, 09:24 PM

At some point, the other 250 schools will file suit. It might even be more of a danger to the continued existence of the NCAA than the California law in another thread.

bartruff1
09-20-2019, 09:28 PM

A study by Temple University Sports Research found otherwise...

ZagDad84
09-21-2019, 12:48 AM
The first shoe drops:

Kansas loses 4-star recruit as major NCAA allegations loom for program
Jack Baer
6 hrs ago

Kansas basketball hasn’t yet received its expected notice of allegations from the NCAA for multiple major violations, but it’s still getting hit with bad news.

Issac McBride, a four-star point guard recruit and Rivals’ No. 109 player in the Class of 2019, withdrew from Kansas only months after enrolling in the university. Kansas coach Bill Self announced McBride’s decision on Friday.

McBride confirmed the news with a statement released on Twitter. He explained his decision as him deciding the program “was not a good fit.”

Losing McBride probably doesn’t sting the Jayhawks much in the short term, but it’s a tough break for what was already Kansas’ lowest ranked recruiting class in years.

McBride’s withdrawal comes days before the expected arrival of the NCAA’s notice of allegations for multiple major recruiting violations, according to the Kansas City Star.

The charges reportedly stem from the FBI’s investigation into college basketball last year that resulted in guilty verdicts for three people involved in the sport. The NCAA indicated that six schools involved in the matter would be hearing from the organization, and it appears Kansas is one of them.

Article Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/kansas-loses-4-star-recruit-as-major-ncaa-allegations-loom-for-program/ar-AAHBIer?li=BBnba9I

ZagDad

MickMick
09-21-2019, 06:17 AM
Lately, I don't think Kansas is recruiting any better than GU.

Texas would be a natural recruiting area for Kansas. The Jayhawks play there at least a couple of times a year and it is closer. It seems that GU has been doing very well in Texas lately.

Put another way, GU is doing better in Texas than Kansas is doing in Seattle. Lately.

bballbeachbum
09-21-2019, 08:15 AM
The first shoe drops:

Article Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/kansas-loses-4-star-recruit-as-major-ncaa-allegations-loom-for-program/ar-AAHBIer?li=BBnba9I

ZagDad

Good. Even if the ncaa does just what TheOtherGreatOne said, which I agree with.

Court of public opinion will matter, for a while at least, and choices will be made, like above. Looking forward to watching the spins on this from the universities, ncaa, if GonzaGAW remains upright and never sees his ceiling

DixieZag
09-21-2019, 08:26 AM
I believe Kansas is one of the schools (Duke, Michigan State, Kansas?) with more consecutive NCAA appearances than us.

Will be interesting to watch.

Bogozags
09-22-2019, 06:14 PM
These schools might or might not be penalized BUT if they are penalized, these schools will: 1. not be penalized this coming season; 2. may lose a scholarship or two; 3. not be FORCED to miss the dance and 4. the school will volunteer to not play in the dance; therefore, current players won’t be able to transfer and be immediately eligible.

Once again, money talks and the “big schools” walk...

maynard g krebs
09-22-2019, 07:10 PM
A study by Temple University Sports Research found otherwise...

Hmm. Wonder who funded the "study". There's certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Birddog
09-23-2019, 05:56 AM
Hmm. Wonder who funded the "study". There's certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Maybe their most famous Alum !

LongIslandZagFan
09-23-2019, 08:16 AM
NCAA to Kansas:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3oriffhhxhmuQP2Xgk/giphy.gif

ZagNut08
09-23-2019, 02:53 PM
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27687051/source-kansas-self-hit-level-1-violations

maynard g krebs
09-23-2019, 03:00 PM

It's a league game, Smokey.

Birddog
09-23-2019, 03:12 PM
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27687051/source-kansas-self-hit-level-1-violations

from the article

"If we're going to have these rules, they need to be enforced. Until we see the end game, I don't know how worried Kansas should be about these allegations because it still has to go through the infractions process. The committee on infractions has shown in the past that it's very reticent to punish some schools. We'll have to wait and see. If they're doing their job, Kansas should be absolutely eviscerated."

ZagDad84
09-23-2019, 03:29 PM
From Yahoo Sports:

Sources: Kansas men's basketball charged with multiple Level 1 allegations, including lack of institutional control
Pat Forde, Pete Thamel and Dan Wetzel

The University of Kansas received its notice of allegations from the NCAA on Monday, which includes potentially devastating allegations toward the men’s basketball program, according to multiple sources.

Kansas has been charged with lack of institutional control, three Level I violations in men’s basketball and there is a head coach responsibility charge against coach Bill Self, according to multiple sources. There also are allegations against football, sources added, although those are Level II violations. The football allegations include charges of allowing an extra coach to work during practice under former head coach David Beaty.

The Level I violations are tied, in part, to the recruitments of Billy Preston and Silvio De Sousa. Court testimony and documents tied to the federal basketball corruption cases over the past two years included details of veteran adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola having “conspired to illicitly funnel approximately at least $90,000” to the mother of Preston. Gassnola also testified in court that he paid De Sousa’s guardian $2,500, although he denied arranging a $20,000 payment that had been discussed on wiretaps.

The charge against Self will potentially prove a compelling and high-profile application of the NCAA’s head coach responsibility bylaws. Evidence tied to the case included Gassnola and Self talking openly in text messages about Adidas helping Kansas recruit players. “I’m happy with Adidas,” Self wrote Gassnola. “Just got to get a couple real guys.”

Later, Gassnola texted about keeping Self and Kansas happy with lottery picks. Self responded: “That’s how (it) works. At UNC and Duke.”

Article Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/sources-kansas-mens-basketball-charged-with-multiple-level-1-allegations-including-lack-of-institutional-control/ar-AAHJv8T?li=BBnb7Kz

ZagDad

Zagdawg
09-23-2019, 03:30 PM
The charge against Self will potentially prove a compelling and high-profile application of the NCAA’s head coach responsibility bylaws. Evidence tied to the case included Gassnola and Self talking openly in text messages about Adidas helping Kansas recruit players. “I’m happy with Adidas,” Self wrote Gassnola. “Just got to get a couple real guys.”

Later, Gassnola texted about keeping Self and Kansas happy with lottery picks. Self responded: “That’s how (it) works. At UNC and Duke.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/sources-kansas-mens-basketball-charged-with-multiple-level-1-allegations-including-lack-of-institutional-control/ar-AAHJv8T

soccerdud
09-23-2019, 03:42 PM
It's a league game, Smokey.

ncaa telling bill self: "this is not nam... there are rules."

drvenkman05
09-23-2019, 06:02 PM
This is all unpossible! Kansas is the birthplace of basketball and they are the greatest program in the history of the world. They have the tradition and the legacy. They have the "Beward the Phog!" They have the waving of the brown paper bags! This cannot stand!

zagzilla
09-24-2019, 11:14 AM
From the ESPN article...

Under NCAA rules, Kansas officials have 90 days to respond to the charges. In a release, the school noted "it is already clear from an initial review that the University will fiercely dispute in detail much of what has been presented."

If they take 90 days to respond and then the NCAA takes however long to review and decide means that KU can string this out and probably not face any consequences for the current season.

ZZ

ZagRecruitWatch
09-24-2019, 11:23 AM
From the ESPN article...

Under NCAA rules, Kansas officials have 90 days to respond to the charges. In a release, the school noted "it is already clear from an initial review that the University will fiercely dispute in detail much of what has been presented."

If they take 90 days to respond and then the NCAA takes however long to review and decide means that KU can string this out and probably not face any consequences for the current season.

ZZ

It's hard to imagine this doesn't hurt there recruiting for the near future in 2020 and 2021.

jazzdelmar
09-24-2019, 12:48 PM
It's hard to imagine this doesn't hurt there recruiting for the near future in 2020 and 2021.

Did it hurt crooked Seannie? And Bill has a lot more charm.

LongIslandZagFan
09-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Still convinced we'll only see slaps on the wrists even with these multiple level 1 violations... because... they are Kansas.

ZagDad84
09-25-2019, 09:15 AM
A counterpoint from USA Sports to the views noted above:

NCAA says Self is a cheater and wants him out
Dan Wolken, USA TODAY
20 hrs ago

This isn’t a theory anymore. It’s not an empty threat from a U.S. Attorney or a grandiose promise from some stuffed shirt in Indianapolis.

Two years after an FBI investigation cracked the door open on how college basketball really works and tons of skepticism about whether the NCAA would truly go after the sport's big names, the first real hammer dropped Monday. In no uncertain terms, they have called Kansas coach Bill Self a cheater.

The Notice of Allegations that was sent to Kansas isn’t a 20-page document as much as it is a showdown. Kansas and Self are going to fight it, of course, because there’s really no other choice. They’re going to put the NCAA’s credibility on trial in the court of public opinion and say there’s no real evidence linking their Hall of Fame coach to the underground machinations of an Adidas bagman who was using cash to recruit basketball players to Kansas.

But make no mistake about what is happening right now: The NCAA wants Self out of college basketball, and it is firing directly at him with all the power it's got.

Had NCAA investigators chosen to go after Self merely for looking the other way or not properly monitoring his program, he could feel a little more secure about his future in college basketball. Plenty of coaches have been popped on that technicality, served their time in the penalty box and returned to normal operation.

But the allegations against Self go much further, implicating him both directly and tacitly in the corruption that was carried out by T.J. Gassnola, a “consultant” in the Adidas grassroots basketball system who admitted in federal court that he made payments to the families of several high-profile recruits, including two who ended up at Kansas.

The bottom line to all of it is this: Over and over in the Notice of Allegations, the NCAA accuses Self and Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend of not only knowing that Gassnola and others at Adidas were working to recruit players to Kansas but that they welcomed the help and, in some cases, actively encouraged it.

The technical sticking point Kansas will dispute is the NCAA classifying Adidas and consultants like Gassnola as Kansas boosters, which automatically turns interactions that might have seemed normal into violations.

But ultimately, text messages between Self, Townsend and Gassnola that were entered into evidence in the federal trial could doom him. In August of 2017, shortly after Kansas and Adidas agreed to an extension of their apparel contract, Gassnola texted the following to Self: “In my mind it’s KU bill self. Everyone else fall into line , to (expletive) bad, that’s what’s right for adidas Basketball. And I know Iam RIGHT. The more you win, have lottery pics. And you happy

That’s how it should work in my mind.”

Self responded: “That’s how ur (sic) works. At unc and Duke”

Gassnola: “Kentucky as well”

Gassnola: “I promise you. I got this , I have never let you down Except (Dyondre) lol"

The “Dyondre” he was talking about, of course, is DeAndre Ayton, who ended up at Arizona but had also been on Gassnola’s payroll. If those text messages don’t paint a pretty clear picture of Gassnola as a Kansas booster — by whatever definition you want to use — then he was sure putting up a good front.

The way the NCAA enforcement staff connects the relationship between Self and Gassnola to illicit recruiting is both direct and damning. That’s why Self punched back so hard Monday night, essentially accusing the NCAA of overreach to make a point at his expense.

“Compelled to reassure member institutions and the general public that it can police its member institutions, the NCAA enforcement staff has responded in an unnecessarily aggressive manner in submitting today’s unsubstantiated Notice of Allegations, and I, as well as the University, will vigorously dispute what has been alleged,” Self wrote. “In its haste and attempt to regain control, the enforcement staff has created a false narrative regarding me and our basketball program. The narrative is based on innuendo, half-truths, misimpressions and mischaracterizations.”

But as Self surely knows, in the NCAA’s kangaroo court, he is not innocent until proven guilty. Instead, what’s contained in the Notice of Allegations already makes him guilty. Now, it’s up to Self to prove that he doesn’t deserve the massive and perhaps career-ending punishment that the NCAA could throw his way.

Self will almost certainly coach Kansas this season because he is too successful and too well-supported to be cut loose before anyone’s hand is forced. But the weight of what the NCAA has alleged is going to hang heavy over Lawrence because for all the written defiance on Monday, Kansas knows what’s coming.

Even if the FBI fell short of completely exposing college basketball for the cesspool that it is, the NCAA couldn’t take a pass on this. The NCAA had to hit a big name and hit them hard, and now it has its chance.

When Gassnola early demonstrated over and over again how hard he was working to help the great Bill Self get lottery picks to Lawrence, the NCAA had the only smoking gun it needed. And in some ways, it’s the perfect one to capture the essence of the sport — a legendary, $7 million a year coach and a shoe company fixer sucking up to each other in text messages largely out of paranoia that their competition was doing the same.

It’s easy enough to look at these slimy college basketball coaches, the greedy shoe companies and the hypocritical NCAA and wish for a plague on all their houses. But someone has to be made an example of to keep the amateurism con going. It appears that burden is going to fall directly on Self’s neck.

Article Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ncaa-says-self-is-a-cheater-and-wants-him-out/ar-AAHM61g?ocid=msn360

ZagDad

bdmiller7
09-25-2019, 10:16 AM
I hope he's right.

NotoriousZ
09-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Still convinced we'll only see slaps on the wrists even with these multiple level 1 violations... because... they are Kansas.

We’ll see. I think coach K may be untouchable, but the NCAA might want a big target this time.

Whatever happens, at least we will be entertained with some game time heckling of Self and Kansas. I really enjoyed Oregon’s “Where’s the money” chant at DeAndre Ayton.

Bogozags
09-25-2019, 10:40 AM
From the ESPN article...

ZZ

Nothing happens until after the 2020 Tournament...

I think Self will be gone for 5-years under the "show cause" scenario. IMO KU will reduce it's scholarship by two per year for two years and volunteer not to play in the B12 tournament and decline a tourney for 2020, this way KU will not be sanctioned by the NCAA - therefore, not being ALLOWED in to the tournament. Being banned from the tournament would allow their players to transfer to any school and be immediately eligible and the NCAA needs KU for marketing purposes for the "Dance!"

If/When Self is fired, I think it would depend on who the next coach will be to determine how this damages KU's recruiting...with a new coach, it only took UL two years to regain prominence.

ZagDad84
09-25-2019, 11:09 AM
Speaking of Louisville, from the Louisville Courier Journal:

NCAA is hammering Kansas. Is the same in store for Louisville?
Danielle Lerner
Louisville Courier Journal

Continued fallout from the FBI's college basketball recruiting investigation pounded Lawrence, Kansas on Monday, and it's only a matter of time before it rolls into Louisville.

The University of Kansas received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA alleging three Level I violations as well as a lack of institutional control and a head coaching responsibility charge against men's basketball coach Bill Self.

The allegations are tied to Kansas' involvement in the pay-to-play scandal, in which Adidas employees organized payments to college basketball recruits in exchange for their commitments to specific programs.

The NCAA is taking a heavy hand with Kansas. Is the same in store for Louisville?

The Cardinals definitely have the right to be worried. With Kansas, the NCAA relied heavily on evidence presented at the federal trials last fall and spring, particularly testimony and text messages from Adidas fixer T.J. Gassnola.

The NCAA investigation into Louisville is also focused on confirming evidence from the trials, where witnesses testified of a scheme to funnel $100,000 to the family of former recruit Brian "Tugs" Bowen so he would sign with the Cards.

Two former Louisville assistants, Kenny Johnson and Jordan Fair, are also accused of making illicit payments. Bowen's father testified that he received $1,300 from Johnson, and government witness Marty Blazer testified that Fair paid $11,700 to an AAU coach in hopes of landing another recruit identified as Balsa Koprivica.

Many of the recruiting violations in the Kansas and Louisville cases appear similar; Gassnola testified that he conspired to make or made payments in the recruitment of Billy Preston (up to $89,000) and Silvio De Sousa ($2,500).

One main difference is that Louisville coaches are actually accused of making payments themselves. The school fired Johnson and Fair shortly after the FBI complaint came out in September 2017, but there's no guarantee that action will mitigate any punishment from the NCAA, especially since Louisville was already on probation from the escort scandal when the payments allegedly occurred.

Central to both cases is the relationship each school had with Adidas, and the question of who knew what.

Text messages between Self and Gassnola appear to show that the two had a close relationship and talked about Adidas helping Kansas recruit players, so it's feasible Self could have known what Gassnola was up to.

On the other hand, Gassnola testified that former Louisville head coach Rick Pitino was unaware of the Bowen scheme. Pitino has consistently maintained he did not know Christian Dawkins, the aspiring agent at the center of the Bowen web. Texts show Pitino was close with Adidas executive Jim Gatto, but they do not depict the two men discussing paying players.

In its notice of allegations to Kansas, the NCAA described Adidas as a "representative of an institution's athletic interests," which is effectively the definition of a booster in NCAA bylaws. It's quite a complicated assertion that speaks to the influence shoe companies have in the basketball world, but it's unclear how much control the NCAA expects member schools to have over employees of apparel companies.

As for the allegations themselves, the lack of institutional control charge is among the most serious against Kansas. The NCAA says that because multiple violations occurred over a period of multiple years, Kansas did not adequately monitor or enforce compliance measures.

The same could apply to Louisville, if only because the school was already on NCAA probation after being hit with multiple Level I violations in 2016. Any more violations committed after that could be used to cite lack of institutional control, meaning a postseason ban could be inflicted on Louisville.

As for Self's head coach responsibility charge, NCAA bylaws say the head coach is responsible for the actions of all staff who report to the coach and all violations within the program unless they can prove otherwise.

Given that two of Pitino's assistants are directly implicated, the NCAA could decide to charge him with lack of coach control and issue a show-cause penalty. Show-cause orders are also possible for Johnson and Fair.

There's no telling when the NCAA will wrap up its investigation into Louisville, but in the meantime it will be important to monitor how Kansas handles its allegations.

Article Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ncaa-is-hammering-kansas-is-the-same-in-store-for-louisville/ar-AAHQbAk?li=BBnba9I

Rumblings are being felt in the bluegrass state.

ZagDad

Bogozags
09-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Speaking of Louisville, from the Louisville Courier Journal:

Article Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ncaa-is-hammering-kansas-is-the-same-in-store-for-louisville/ar-AAHQbAk?li=BBnba9I

Rumblings are being felt in the bluegrass state.

ZagDad

If UL is caught up in the same mess as KU, NCST, AZ, USC, Creighton...then the penalties could all be severe...this is the first I've heard of UL...second NCAA look see in a couple of years...they have been in constant trouble...it would seem that the Death Penalty might be warranted, if UL is hit again by the NCAA but I also remember reading that NCAA will never again use it again.

TexasZagFan
09-25-2019, 02:03 PM

They'll exhume James Naismith's corpse to ward off NCAA sanctions.

TexasZagFan
09-25-2019, 02:06 PM
If UL is caught up in the same mess as KU, NCST, AZ, USC, Creighton...then the penalties could all be severe...this is the first I've heard of UL...second NCAA look see in a couple of years...they have been in constant trouble...it would seem that the Death Penalty might be warranted, if UL is hit again by the NCAA but I also remember reading that NCAA will never again use it again.

I saw ESPN headlines where Dennis Smith Jr. denied receiving any money from Adidas. We'll see...

DixieZag
09-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Did it hurt crooked Seannie? And Bill has a lot more charm.

I believe it did for a year and a half, and may hurt him a bit in the near future.

Not a ton, but it did seem to have an impact. Not of the type deserved, but some.

You are right, it had little lasting impact, but when the whole thing was up in the air, it was an anchor on him a bit IIRC.

Then he appeared in the clear, incoming would get massive minutes, so a great class. But w/ storm clouds brewing, possible dry days ahead, possible transfers.

It should have a bigger impact in a just world, but hard for me to say it had no impact at all.

DixieZag
09-25-2019, 05:27 PM
A counterpoint from USA Sports to the views noted above:

Article Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ncaa-says-self-is-a-cheater-and-wants-him-out/ar-AAHM61g?ocid=msn360

ZagDad

Careful about fair use policy. The rules of the board dictate caution copying articles, usually limited to 3 paragraphs and a link.

I believe the site rule matches the general internet standard.

Mods can note if I am wrong, obviously.

I know you meant well, and we appreciate the good-intentions. Just watch out a bit in the future.

Cheers, and thx.

Zagdawg
09-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Georgia Tech

Dan Wolken
@DanWolken
·
1h
BREAKING: Georgia Tech basketball banned from the postseason in 2019-20

Evan Daniels
@EvanDaniels
·
1h
To go with postseason ban, Georgia Tech also hit with these each of next 4 years:

•Reduction of a scholarship
•8 week ban on unofficials
•3 visit reduction on officials
•8 week ban on recruiting communication
•Reduction of 19 recruiting days

Bogozags
09-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Wow! GT isn't that a P-5 school and I thought the NCAA might have made a mistake because P-5 schools were not supposed to be penalized...this must be a mistake...Maybe they meant UOP!

bballbeachbum
09-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Wow! GT isn't that a P-5 school and I thought the NCAA might have made a mistake because P-5 schools were not supposed to be penalized...this must be a mistake...Maybe they meant UOP!

LOL

so is GT the precedent for punishment in this, or the fall guy? we'll see, but I'm focused on Kansas, Arizona, Louisville...again, etc.

GT being hurt helps their foes, as it would with Kansas, Arizona, Louisville...another perspective.

strikenowhere
09-26-2019, 12:30 PM

Hahah yeah I was going to note that Georgia Tech is pretty much the Pacific of the ACC, at least BBall performance-wise.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Exactly. Josh is a sacrificial lamb, but there must be something in the water in Tucson. Speaking of which, I only have eyes for Seannie.

sittingon50
09-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Feel badly for former Portland Coach Reveno @ G Tech. Would be tremendously surprised if he was involved in any of this.

maynard g krebs
09-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Hahah yeah I was going to note that Georgia Tech is pretty much the Pacific of the ACC, at least BBall performance-wise.

Yup. Boston College might be next.

FlyZag
09-26-2019, 02:11 PM
I saw ESPN headlines where Dennis Smith Jr. denied receiving any money from Adidas. We'll see...

No, he said he didn't receive money from NC State. He never mentioned 3rd parties.

Zagdawg
09-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Foreshadowing of things to come?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/georgia-tech-banned-from-ncaa-tournament-due-to-recruiting-violations/ar-AAHTnQM?li=BBnb7Kz

bdmiller7
09-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Foreshadowing of things to come?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/georgia-tech-banned-from-ncaa-tournament-due-to-recruiting-violations/ar-AAHTnQM?li=BBnb7Kz

Never really liked Pastner, just something about always seemed a little sleazy.