PDA

View Full Version : Pac ten overrated

GU32
11-10-2007, 03:39 PM
(19) USC 81 Mercer 96

I heard people talking about the Pac getting 8 or 9 teams into the tournament. I knew SC was overrated they lost Nick Young and Lodrick Stewart and still are a top 20 team? UW might sneak into the NCAA tournament, but most likely they are an nit team.
Oregon ranked 13th!!!! Aaron Brooks ran that team, good luck Tajuan Porter creating your own shot a 5-6 160 pounds. Malik Hairston is overrated. Stanford looked good but they lost Brook Lopez.
UCLA and Wazzu are the only two teams who can get deep in the tournament maybe Arizona.
I say they get 4 or 5 teams in the tournament. Two into the Sweet sixteen.

madness
11-10-2007, 04:06 PM
For what it's worth, USC will be a completely different team with Daniel Hackett back on the floor. He's the glue guy and will cut down on the turnover problem they had today.

Brook Lopez is back with the team and eligible in December. Oregon returns 4 of 5 starters.

IMO, West Coast hoops supremacy helps GU, and I'm a West Coast hoops fan. One of the best things for a national seeding perspective for GU (and Wazzu) would be a top RPI ranking for PAC 10...obviously the Mercer loss doesn't help...but the league this year has more talent then I can remember.

cbbfanatic
11-10-2007, 04:09 PM
(19) USC 81 Mercer 96

I heard people talking about the Pac getting 8 or 9 teams into the tournament. I knew SC was overrated they lost Nick Young and Lodrick Stewart and still are a top 20 team? UW might sneak into the NCAA tournament, but most likely they are an nit team.
Oregon ranked 13th!!!! Aaron Brooks ran that team, good luck Tajuan Porter creating your own shot a 5-6 160 pounds. Malik Hairston is overrated. Stanford looked good but they lost Brook Lopez.
UCLA and Wazzu are the only two teams who can get deep in the tournament maybe Arizona.
I say they get 4 or 5 teams in the tournament. Two into the Sweet sixteen.

who said they'd get 8 or 9 (out of 10)? whoever did, dont pay attention to that person ever again on this subject.

anyway, knock USC all you want since they dropped a terrible one, but im not sure one should cut into oregon or stanford, or even uw, until they start droppin contests. i personally dont think the pac 10 is the clear best in the coutnry, but i wont write them off as overrated because one young team dropped a bad one early.

and re: ucla and wazzu being the only two that can go deep -- personally, i wouldnt be surprised to see wazzu finish in the 4-6 range in the pac 10 and be on the bubble.

ZagNut08
11-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Almost every analyst I have seen has said it is possible they get 7-8 teams in this year.

Nevtelen
11-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Almost every analyst I have seen has said it is possible they get 7-8 teams in this year.

Me too. It's too early to throw the league under the bus yet. There's just too much talent. They are still IMO still clearly the best conference in the country top to bottom. Even an embarrasing loss or two won't change that. Look at other embarrasing losses around the country this year - Mich St and Kentucky to start. Memphis had problems early. UConn, too. I agree that it's good for West Coast hoops to be strong (and just as important to be seen as strong). Once these teams get rolling, they'll be tough. Oregon is already laying some smack down, Stanford apparently played like they were a tad bit miffed about how their last season ended and had been holding the frustration in for a few months. I'm not sure about 8, but I do see 6 or 7 Pac10 teams going to the NCAAs. USC just made it a little harder on themselves. :)

SunDevilGolfZag
11-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I don't see Washington as a tournament team in that league.

MickMick
11-10-2007, 06:25 PM
As much as I don't like the Huskies, I must admit that the Pac-10 is loaded this year. I never really was sold on USC though.

omahazag
11-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Me too. Pac-10 is/will be the best conference this year. I don't read too much into these early games.

former1dog
11-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Pac ten overrated

No. A fine league that will produce several tournament teams and quite possibly a national champion.

SteeleMan
11-10-2007, 09:05 PM
about SC. Mayo will be their demise this year. How many sots did he have tonight? 35? You aren't on the Laker's Mayonaise and you aren't Kobe...

I hear Mayo is the baddest seed any program could have...putting a teammate in a jaw brace and such... hhhm. This loss can't be a big surprise.

As far as the pac-10 goes? why should is matter to the wcc, really?

GDaleZag
11-10-2007, 09:10 PM
This was USC's first real game. no exhibitions, this was it. And for a team that lost Nick Young and Stewart and with Hackett out, you can't expect them to just dominate Mercer. Starting 1 Jr. 3 So. and 1 Fr., only 2 of which started last year. USC will have its tough times but will get plenty of big game experience over the course of their schedule. This one game does not mean they won't make the tourney or that the pac ten is overrated.

has anyone else looked at USC's schedule this year? it's brutal:
12/2 - Kansas (4th in the nation)
12/4 - AT memphis (3rd in the nation)
UCLA(2nd), Oregon(12th), Arizona(17th), and Stanford(23rd) all twice.
Wash St.(10th) once.

Talk about a loaded schedule, of course I guess most teams in the Pac ten have a loaded schedule.

ZagNut08
11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
gdale, I believe the played in an international tournament. Everyschool can do one every 4 years I believe. This was there year. I think they did it knowing they had a young team, and they needed time to gel before the season kicked off

sittingon50
11-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Where do you get WSU only once?

AnonyMoose
11-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Saying the Pac 10 is overrated is like saying the Big 10 will stink because of Mich. St. and the SEC will stink because of Kentucky.

GDaleZag
11-11-2007, 02:15 AM
sittingon,
i apologize, for some reason when i first read their schedule i only saw one game vs USC. now that i take another look i see i was wrong.

ZagNut08
11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
The current fan poll on espn asks which conference is the toughest....

38% ACC
20% Big East
17% Big Ten
16% Pac Ten
10% Big 12

if nothing else, it realy shows that a lot of people just dont understand what kind of talent plays on the left coast

tenniszag
11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
I think when it is all said and done, 9-9 in the pac-10 will get you into the tournament. The only "bad" team is Oregon State. I think this years ASU team would have placed in the top half of the pac in different years, it is just way to loaded this year.

Spokanicoug
11-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Was it possible for the PAC-10 to be underrated?

cbbfanatic
11-11-2007, 10:42 AM
The current fan poll on espn asks which conference is the toughest....

38% ACC
20% Big East
17% Big Ten
16% Pac Ten
10% Big 12

if nothing else, it realy shows that a lot of people just dont understand what kind of talent plays on the left coast

i think it shows that people vote for who they WANT the answer to be, not necessarily who they THINK it really is. ACC fans vote acc, b10 fans vote b10, etc. only two conferences i could make a legitimate case for would be pac 10 and big east - pac 10 would win out RIGHT NOW simply because the big east basement is horrible. i think any of the others, at this point, is a stretch.