• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IowaSERE
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Oct 2008

Redshirt question

Not counting medical redshirts, who was the last player that we had who redshirted, and stayed through their SR year, and was a contributor?

Dranginis is the last one that I can think of.

It seems to me that all of the incoming freshmen are higher rated than KD was.

We RS KO and he had an amazing transformation, but in reality, we didn't gain an extra year from him. Perhaps it kept him from transferring, but in reality we lost him for an entire year. Could we have won the NC if Zack Norvell played as a freshman? Would the added depth have helped keep someone fresher? Even if it was only for 5-10 min a game?
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Not counting medical redshirts, who was the last player that we had who redshirted, and stayed through their SR year, and was a contributor?

We RS KO and he had an amazing transformation, but in reality, we didn't gain an extra year from him. Perhaps it kept him from transferring, but in reality we lost him for an entire year. Could we have won the NC if Zack Norvell played as a freshman? Would the added depth have helped keep someone fresher? Even if it was only for 5-10 min a game?
    Zach Norvell had significant knee issues, which helped lead to the redshirt decision for him .... As for Dranginis ... that was recently discussed in another thread .... and yes .. Kyle WAS the last one ... Silas could have been had Josh not broken his jaw, and there's still a chance Joel will be one.

Karno and Josh were 5th year Seniors due to injury .... I could be mistaken but I'm thinking Kyle Dranginis may have been the last traditional red shirt 5th year Senior ..... although there IS a chance Joel will be one.
    I believe that was also the plan with Silas Melson (who had not played prior to Perkins broken jaw) but Silas' presumptive freshman RS was abruptly halted when Josh's season ended after a few games.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post

I think it speaks volumes about the staff that so many of our redshirts don't make it to senior year and end up getting drafted. I believe that if Ayayi doesn't perform this year and start getting meaningful minutes he will transfer and not make it to his senior year.

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
        I believe that if Ayayi doesn't perform this year and start getting meaningful minutes he will transfer and not make it to his senior year.
        Is that a gut feeling ... or rumblings you're aware of?
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
          Is that a gut feeling ... or rumblings you're aware of?
          gut feeling... hence the I believe

Comment

• maynard g krebs
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
            I think it speaks volumes about the staff that so many of our redshirts don't make it to senior year and end up getting drafted. I believe that if Ayayi doesn't perform this year and start getting meaningful minutes he will transfer and not make it to his senior year.
            Ayayi would only have one year of eligibility remaining if he transferred and sat out a year; he'd need a waiver to get two years of play. Suppose he could go D2 or JC for a year.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
              Ayayi would only have one year of eligibility remaining if he transferred and sat out a year; he'd need a waiver to get two years of play. Suppose he could go D2 or JC for a year.
              I would imagine he goes and plays over seas if it comes to that. His goal is obviously to eventually play in the NBA.

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • May 2019

Ayayi is going to surprise alot of people this year!

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
                  Hoping he does. This year is his best chance to earn regular rotation minutes. Rooting for him.
                  Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• Shooter
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
                    I sure hope so.

Comment

Working...
                    X