• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZionZag
    Kennel Club
    • Sep 2013

SECOND DECADE

Wouldn't this last season completed the second decade....Why no CD called the "Second Decade of Excellence"?
  • FloridaZagFan
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • May 2019

I can almost hear Jim Nance saying those exact words!

Comment

• sittingon50
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZionZag View Post
      ....Why no CD called the "Second Decade of Excellence"?

Heister is feverishly boning up on the pronunciations.
      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Malastein
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

25 years will be the next big milestone I’m thinking...
        The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• MickMick
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

Many of us here are older. We watched the rise of the program.

The young men that are entering their college careers have a different vantage. For the entirety of their lives, they have always seen a post season bracket that has included Gonzaga.

Many of us sit here as a group of old folks stuck on the decade old concept of proving the validity of Gonzaga basketball as a top tier program, primarily to other old folks. A decade old argument aimed at a decade old narrative. Meanwhile the young folks have long since been sold on a program that has almost always been ranked in their lifetime.

One of the most recent grad transfers was set on signing with Oklahoma State. Then Gonzaga contacted him and to quote this young man, " When Gonzaga talks, you listen". Shortly thereafter he committed to GU instead. Meanwhile, many of us will debate the definition of an elite program as a slow summer topic. There is a certain level of disconnect here. Look no further than the caliber of young men arriving to lace up their shoes and the caliber of programs that were bidding for their services.
          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

I hope Heister will make a second decade of excellence - that dvd was fun to watch for friends of mine who do not follow basketball, and it was well done.
            everytime I would get upset with his 'oneupsmanship' personality I would remind myself that he did a good job with that, and with his mark few show.

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
              Many of us here are older. We watched the rise of the program.

The young men that are entering their college careers have a different vantage. For the entirety of their lives, they have always seen a post season bracket that has included Gonzaga.

Many of us sit here as a group of old folks stuck on the decade old concept of proving the validity of Gonzaga basketball as a top tier program, primarily to other old folks. A decade old argument aimed at a decade old narrative. Meanwhile the young folks have long since been sold on a program that has almost always been ranked in their lifetime.

One of the most recent grad transfers was set on signing with Oklahoma State. Then Gonzaga contacted him and to quote this young man, " When Gonzaga talks, you listen". Shortly thereafter he committed to GU instead. Meanwhile, many of us will debate the definition of an elite program as a slow summer topic. There is a certain level of disconnect here. Look no further than the caliber of young men arriving to lace up their shoes and the caliber of programs that were bidding for their services.
              Out of many fantastic comments, this is one of your best.

You put your finger on something we should be as proud of as all the wins, not once in that run has the school compromised on the type of kids they recruit. They've missed a few times, but less often than most, but it wasn't a "bad kid."

I just keep thinking of Byron Wesley. Just as good a kid as can be. Showed up as a man, college grad, mature, looked you in the eye. And he was at one of the most beautiful campuses anywhere, low performing, yes, but a really good situation, and found one, and then he grew more. He only played a hear, yet he set the bar on tx players, and is much a Zag as Karno in my mind.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• krozman
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2008

Not to quibble, but this is my outline:

1. Decade of Excellence.
                2. Decade of Dominance.
                3. Decade of Championships.
                Krozman
                GU student 1996-2000
                Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

THIRD DECADE Begins...… after the first 20 years, sure we've had some ups and down but outside of Wichita State and the Wyoming fiascoes, we've always represented well. I do think we're in a learning situation this year but we'll still nail 25-30 wins.....
                  Next year will be amazing. I wish we'd have the HS seniors this year so the ascension would begin now with the other new 8 faces.

Although the program proves itself high end year after year, still many of us can't quite believe this is the university that used to have 1800 kids and was famous for drinking and Bing Crosby. I used to mow the campus and put in the sprinkler systems plus do the snow removal (1968 was a jewel). Kids are kids...….the program for basketball has rising beyond what anyone thought. It gives us a certain joy. We all have renewed hope. I really do think it'll never get boring......won't if you were on campus as a young man or woman in the 60's and 70s.

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                    THIRD DECADE Begins...… after the first 20 years, sure we've had some ups and down but outside of Wichita State and the Wyoming fiascoes, we've always represented well. I do think we're in a learning situation this year but we'll still nail 25-30 wins.....
                    Next year will be amazing. I wish we'd have the HS seniors this year so the ascension would begin now with the other new 8 faces.

Although the program proves itself high end year after year, still many of us can't quite believe this is the university that used to have 1800 kids and was famous for drinking and Bing Crosby. I used to mow the campus and put in the sprinkler systems plus do the snow removal (1968 was a jewel). Kids are kids...….the program for basketball has rising beyond what anyone thought. It gives us a certain joy. We all have renewed hope. I really do think it'll never get boring......won't if you were on campus as a young man or woman in the 60's and 70s.
                    Nice job, abe.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                      .... I used to mow the campus and put in the sprinkler systems plus do the snow removal (1968 was a jewel). Kids are kids...….the program for basketball has rising beyond what anyone thought. It gives us a certain joy. We all have renewed hope. I really do think it'll never get boring......won't if you were on campus as a young man or woman in the 60's and 70s.
                      Mow? Who mows west of the Rockies and east of the Appalachians? That’s a solid MIDWEST term, Doc. Who knew you were a corn-fed youngster who shopped at THE Hy-Vee?

Comment

• Birddog
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Growing up in Spokane, your "mowed" the lawn and "shoveled" the drive or sidewalk. Hey Abe, did you have anything to do with removing the icicles over the entries on the Ad Bldg in Spring '69?
                        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                        All mimsy were the borogoves,
                        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                          Growing up in Spokane, your "mowed" the lawn and "shoveled" the drive or sidewalk. Hey Abe, did you have anything to do with removing the icicles over the entries on the Ad Bldg in Spring '69?
                          I stand corrected. Back on East 28nd Street and Avenue L, we "cut the lawn."

Comment

• Spike#1
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            Mow? Who mows west of the Rockies and east of the Appalachians? That’s a solid MIDWEST term, Doc. Who knew you were a corn-fed youngster who shopped at THE Hy-Vee?
                            Check your font Jazz, I was born in the 60's, lived in Idaho, now in Spokane, everyone I know, "mows" the lawn.

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Spike#1 View Post
                              Check your font Jazz, I was born in the 60's, lived in Idaho, now in Spokane, everyone I know, "mows" the lawn.
                              Me, too.

Though "cut" was sort of interchangeable, but certainly "mow" was used a lot.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X