PDA

View Full Version : Here's whats left.....

MDABE80
11-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Considering the news::Josh likely out, Will redshirting and, Theo gone home for a bit, here's what's left.

Guards: Pargo, LG, Gray, Matt, Sorenson

Forwards: Downs, Daye, Pendo, Ira

Bigs: Sacre, Kuso,

Look at it this way, none of the 3 kids missing in action for a while contributed much from the end of last year to the early beginning of this year. Doesn't mean they aren't good kids or good players, it just means they won't be available for 1 month or so IF the reports are correct.
Lots of talent left to work with. I'm sure the remaining kids know each other plays. It might take a bit or work for them to congeal as a unit. Good shooters, good speed and continued depth. Freshman will have to grow up quick.

Get the remaining kids running and working together, Zags still win most games. WSU is in doubt but that game always was in doubt. I wish Rob Sacre had more experience but him and Kuso ( who I think is tons better than last year) can handle the center postion. It'll be interesting......but there's lots of horses left.

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Are you taking into account Gray out 6 - 8 weeks with broken wrist?

MickMick
11-10-2007, 09:43 AM
We have been bragging about depth and wondering about minutes all summer long. I guess a lot of questions are being answered....the hard way.

Two players I think will be a larger part of Gonzaga success than I previously imagined:

Kuso and LG

I have confidence that both will come up big in a time of need.

BroncoZAG615
11-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Wouldn't the redshirt come off for Will if this is the case. I know it's not what we wanted this year. But just by sheer numbers we really need another big body or at least 5 fouls.

zag67
11-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I agree with MDA. Even with Gray out, I still think we have the horses to beat a lot of teams and compete with the high ranked teams (like WSU). They do need to work harder as a team but if they play intense defense, box out and hit the boards hard, find the open man to take the open shots, and keep their heads high, then I think you will see some great games.
I do hope that THeo is back soon. He really needs the game experience and during this time would get it. The others are out for about 6 to 8 weeks, but again should be back in time to start preparing for conference. And with the team we have will be able to be brought back slowly.

MDABE80
11-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Gray's wrist is tweaked but it's the first I've heard abut it being broken. DO you know something not published ZN?

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 09:53 AM
It's what Hondo said he had learned from reliable sources (on the injury thread I posted).

HillBillyZag
11-10-2007, 10:09 AM
While I am disappointed & concerned about the injuries to Heytvelt, Davis & Gray, my main thought is what will happen when they are healed and ready to return to the rotation. Kuso,Sacre, Daye,Brown will be getting extra minutes and a chemistry will develop within the new rotation system. With the talent & potential these kids have, its possible/likely that several stars could/will be born. Thus when the wounded are returned to duty, and the fill-ins PT is reduced, we will go through another period of adjustment. I'm sure Coach Few can handle it, but there will be some ego massaging to do. Glad its him,not me.

Reborn
11-10-2007, 03:18 PM
What's left? The Zags!!! This is a team game. Remember? Injuries happen. It's a fact. I really do feel for all of the guys who are hurt, but the Zags must, and will, move on. Overcoming Adversity is just part of what it's all about.

I have complete confidence in the Zags as a team. We are no stranger to adversity at all. Last year we didn't have the players we do this year, and look how great we played. Don't worry. We have guys who are fully equipped to carry this team until Josh and Stephen return. Look who we have: Pargo, Matt, Micah, Daye, Kuso, Pendo LG and Sacre. That is 8 deep, and that is all that is needed for now. And now is all we have.

When adversity hits players step up. I am anxious to see how we respond Sunday. I think that Matt is going to step up in a big way. Before the injury report was posted I said that I felt Matt was going to have a Big game against Montana. Now I KNOW he will. This kid will step up. So will LG. I think we'll see a real big game from him as well.

These events could very well force Coach Few to make Will Foster elligible. It would make sense to me. He's improved from last year, and I totally believe he can give uls 5-8 quality minutes off the bench. He's great on defense and also a great rebounder. We don't need him to score...jHe just needs to give us a few great minutes.

Reborn
11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
What's left? The Zags!!! This is a team game. Remember? Injuries happen. It's a fact. I really do feel for all of the guys who are hurt, but the Zags must, and will, move on. Overcoming Adversity is just part of what it's all about.

I have complete confidence in the Zags as a team. We are no stranger to adversity at all. Last year we didn't have the players we do this year, and look how great we played. Don't worry. We have guys who are fully equipped to carry this team until Josh and Stephen return. Look who we have: Pargo, Matt, Micah, Daye, Kuso, Pendo LG, Sacre and Brown. That is 9 deep, and that is all that is needed for now. Accept we may get Will Foster as well. And now is all we have.

When adversity hits players step up. I am anxious to see how we respond Sunday. I think that Matt is going to step up in a big way. Before the injury report was posted I said that I felt Matt was going to have a Big game against Montana. Now I KNOW he will. This kid will step up. So will LG. I think we'll see a real big game from him as well.

These events could very well force Coach Few to make Will Foster elligible. It would make sense to me. He's improved from last year, and I totally believe he can give uls 5-8 quality minutes off the bench. He's great on defense and also a great rebounder. We don't need him to score...jHe just needs to give us a few great minutes.

zag67
11-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I think that we have a great set of kids to compete against anyone. I also would like to add IRA to that mix. I think that he is really going to be important in the assist, rebounding and defense. He might not score as much as some that we have lost, but his maturity might help in many other ways.