PDA

View Full Version : Injury Report and Other concerns

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Posted on the Spokesman blog (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6383#more) at 9:07 AM:

GU update

Our phone calls went unanswered Friday night and thus far Saturday morning, so the only official word regarding GU's injuries came in the school's release (http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111007aad.html) for Sunday's season-opener with Montana.

More below.

According to the release, Josh Heytvelt had an MRI on Friday and is listed as day-to-day. Heytvelt had a 'hot spot' in his right foot/ankle that kept him out of practice until Tuesday, when he participated for roughly 15 minutes. He played 5 minutes in GU's exhibition win over Emporia State on Wednesday.

Heytvelt is one of 50 preseason candidates for the Naismith Trophy.

Theo Davis, who had been sidelined with a foot infection, left the team Thursday because of a medical emergency in his family. It isn't known when he'll return.

The release said guard Matt Bouldin, who sprained his ankle Wednesday, is expected to play Sunday.

There is also concern with freshman guard Steven Gray's right (shooting) wrist. He apparently hurt his wrist during Wednesday's game and wasn't able to practice Thursday.

:confused:

Nevtelen
11-10-2007, 09:53 AM
So confused... While I certainly feel for Theo and hope that everything works out for his family, at least he wouldn't be playing anyway with the infection. With our lack of guard depth, Gray's injury is more worrying - anyone know anything? Perhaps Micah will be our guard depth for a while, with Daye playing more 3? Add in that Heytvelt's out in the middle... *sigh*

hondo46
11-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Josh has a broken foot 6 - 8 weeks and Gray has a broken wrist 6 - 8 weeks.

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 10:08 AM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9764/screambu0.jpg
No-o-o-o!!!

gamagin
11-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm most concerned about Josh. He doesn't seem to be healing at a pace needed for him to play. This has lingered since, what, 3-4 wks before practice began ? He has added 30-40 pounds to that big body and now needs to plant that foot under the duress of a game. He came aout against ES after five minutes early in the game. He didn't seem to be limping when I checked. But obviously, if it weren't bothering him, he would very likely have returned. I just hope he has time to let that foot heal so he can play -- sooner than later. But clearly it is nagging, on him and the team.

re Matt: I saw him roll his ankle. Somehere else on the GUB it was mentioned he has rolled that same ankle many times over the years. I had that problem start in high school football. It came back when I played handball and many, many times when out jogging, then occasionally when walking. Step on something, like a rock or crack in the sidewalk, or make a sudden stop, or land on another player's shoe and the ankle can "roll."

If that other poster is right, Matt can wear an ankle guard (mine was a lace up sock) that will help alot when he plays. The ankle can still roll, and he can still wind up limping whenever it happens. But, judging from my experience, it may slow him a bit, but likely will not sideline him. "If" that, indeed, is what happened to him.

I was watching him when he went down and it looked to me like it was a roll, fwiw.

best,

zag67
11-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I agree with Zagnative. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I am also concerned about the guard position, with the injury to Gray. But I guess we will see how much depth we really had and how the youngsters grow up.

Radbooks
11-10-2007, 10:37 AM
I agree with ZagNative!!!

http://userpic.livejournal.com/53142209/8040913

I finally figured out how to insert pictures here.

MickMick
11-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Does Gray medical redshirt?

Zag By the Bay
11-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Geessh...Let the guys play a few games before declare the sky is falling...injuries come with every team. Gray came to GU with some big expectations to fufill, and correct me if I am wrong, but so did LG a couple of years ago. A great baller in high school doesn't always translate into a instant success. If Gray has to take a medical red shirt so be it. Relax, take a deep breath it is a long season and it hasn't even started yet. Go Zags!

KSTATEZAG
11-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Geessh...Let the guys play a few games before declare the sky is falling...injuries come with every team. Gray came to GU with some big expectations to fufill, and correct me if I am wrong, but so did LG a couple of years ago. A great baller in high school doesn't always translate into a instant success. If Gray has to take a medical red shirt so be it. Relax, take a deep breath it is a long season and it hasn't even started yet. Go Zags!

I think most of us are concerned because we lacked depth behind P-go--If Bouldin's injury lingers longer and Gray is gone...who backs the point?
Micah maybe? But if they press we're screwed/

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Zag By the Bay, you go ahead and take a deep breath. For myself, with three players suddenly out and another questionable, I intend to have a meltdown.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3610/tantrum12859fh6.gif

mendiant
11-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks for a real report on the situation, ZN. No gossip, no hyped drama, just the facts.
mendiant

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks for a real report on the situation, ZN. No gossip, no hyped drama, just the facts.
mendiant
Well .... maybe just a little drama ....:mecry: :mecry:

gamagin
11-10-2007, 11:07 AM
sorry to hear that. wonder why/how that wasn't diagnosed earlier ?

at least now, the cause is known. Clearly, everyone was puzzled.

GonzagaGurl08
11-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I agree ZN, just a tad bit of drama, just a small teeny bit. Just a thought, Pendo is technically listed as a guard, is there any thought of him playing a bit of time there. Also Sorenson can ball, this might be a chance for him to get some quality minutes. Just my two cents.

KSTATEZAG
11-10-2007, 11:13 AM
No offense to pendo or sorenson but they certainly cannot handle point duties.

Zag By the Bay
11-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I think most of us are concerned because we lacked depth behind P-go--If Bouldin's injury lingers longer and Gray is gone...who backs the point?
Micah maybe? But if they press we're screwed/

These are Division I players and I sure that we have someone that can spell Pargo some minutes at the point. I not aware of any team that presses the entire game, but then again that is on the coaches to make the right adjustments and the players to perform. Now is Pargo goes down we may have some real reason to worry. Besides what has been mentioned before, the more important games are the WCC and NCAA's. All I am saying is let the team play a few games, before we start having meltdowns.

TheZagPhish
11-10-2007, 11:18 AM
It will be okay, no matter. No one feels these absences more than those remaining to suit up, and they are singularly focused on ambitious goals. I think we will see a number of players stretch hard to be what they expected themselves to be.

It will be okay.

(Takes off rose hued glasses and crosses fingers)

ZagNut08
11-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I was hoping gray didnt seriously hurt his wrist. He went down in the game, and had a player come down on it. For the rest of the game he was flexing his wrist, looked to be in pretty bad pain

Horrible way to start out the year

john montana
11-10-2007, 11:43 AM
ugh. looks like we'll be testing that depth early on...

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 11:56 AM
It will be okay, no matter. No one feels these absences more than those remaining to suit up, and they are singularly focused on ambitious goals. I think we will see a number of players stretch hard to be what they expected themselves to be.

It will be okay.

(Takes off rose hued glasses and crosses fingers)

Where'd all these calm, reasonable types come from? We have at least four threads going on the injuries issue. Can't we reserve this one for irrational, overwrought, sky-is-falling posters to vent? Let this thread be ...

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8417/meltdownpo5.jpg

Zagpower
11-10-2007, 12:23 PM
This is why all the preseason posts about lack of playing time to go around are usually unwarranted and another reason why it is OK to overrecruit. You can never have too many good players.

CDC84
11-10-2007, 12:50 PM
In CDC's view, the injury to Gray is more harmful to Gonzaga in the short term than losing Josh. The Zags have enough size in the middle and on the wings to work around Josh for the time being, but Steven is by far and away the most consistent and reliable long range shooter on the team besides Downs. He's the most natural shooting guard on the team, and in an emergency, the 3rd PG in the rotation (and as we know, Bouldin isn't 100%). Moreover, Gray is a freshman who needs game experience. Josh has been in the system long enough to be able to make that adjustment quite easily....for Gray it won't be as easy.

GU absolutely cannot afford to medically redshirt Gray unless they're forced to due to the injury lingering well past the time it's supposed to take to heal. He's too important.

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 12:54 PM
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1989/whenwillitstoptr8.jpg

Edited to add: Sorry, CDC84. ZN is a disgrace in the presence of your usual sage advice.

bigjeep
11-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Gees guys, I`m very sorry to hear about the injuries, and I can honestly say this coming from a fan of the leading injury pleagued school in the world. Someday I`ll post our past history and maybe you guys will feel a little better...

this yr we lost our projected starting center 6-10 A`darios Pegeus for the season with a knee injury, starting forward 6-9 Jeremy Evans is hobbled with an ankle and senior 6-8 Matt Maresca is out with back problems. WKU is blessed with depth this yr, thank the Lord...

Hope your young men get well and on the court soon...

Good luck tomorrow...

oh, Tops beat Kennesaw St last night 96-61. Kennesaw is in the same conference and ranked higher than uk`s latest nightmare Garner Webb...;) I know that means absolutly nothing but it`s fun to post...:)

ZagNative
11-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Congrats to the Toppers, BigJeep. Nice of you to drop by with a little chicken soup for the troops.

mendiant
11-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Well .... maybe just a little drama ....:mecry: :mecry:

now, now, I did clarify that statement "hyped drama" yes drama, but backed up by facts.

I agree...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

<crap>