PDA

View Full Version : Care to share your thoughts on the GU vs Montana game

Reborn
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I think it will be closer than many think (according to the poll). I think under 15. Montana is experienced, disciplined, pretty talented (not as much as the Zags) well coached, and plans to dance in March. You can bet they have the Gonzaga game circled as one they WANT TO WIN BADLY.

Gonzaga vs Montana is no ordinary game. It is a rivalry with a long history going back to when Gonzaga was in the Big Sky. This game will be full of passion. Montana will give it a 110% for sure. I don't believe the Freshman know and understand, at this juncture of their career, the passion that teams playing Gonzaga will be playing with. Believe me...they've never seen what they will see on Sunday, and it will be a good lesson to learn earaly in the season. Montana will NOT be Emporia State. This isn't a slam on ES, it's just a kudo for Montana and how they play against GU. The Zags will need to be ready to win, and ready to FIGHT with all they have. This will be more of a slug fest than a ballet that we saw Wednesday. We had better come with some muscle and guts.

I was talking to my son who saw the game. He said the guys have really beefed up...and not with fat but with muscle. He really praised Kuso for his toughness and warrior type of approach to the game. He also said Josh has really bulked up. That too was good to hear. I think we need to pound it inside to our big guys, but Montana does have two 7 footers. I am looking forward to a very different kind of game Sunday, and anxious to see how our young guys adjust.

Zags will not lose at home......not to Montana. PRIDE...REIGNS

Doktorkev
11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
I would look for a close first half, then the blowout in the second. I think that Tinkle is going to be a great coach for Montana, but not alot of depth this year and they will be worn down and punished in the second half. Thats my take.

AnonyMoose
11-09-2007, 04:18 PM
First 10 minutes of the first half will be interesting. After that, I'll love seeing Ira! doing dunks.

hondo46
11-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Press, press and more press.

Larryzag
11-09-2007, 05:32 PM
At some point in the game I want to see Downs, Heytvelt, and Daye playing together. All three of these guys can rebound, post up and shoot long. They can also run the floor about as good as any guard. I don't know how any team could stop them from scoring. Combined with a guard rotation of Pargo, Bouldin, LG and Gray we can run teams off the court. Rotate in Pendo, Sacre, Kuso and Davis and Ira and who am I forgetting? This is going to be fun!

RenoZag
11-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I want to see the Zags win without Heytvelt. Last year's team had to; this year's squad faces the same challenge --if the reports elsewhere on this BB are accurate.

Everyone has been saying this crop of frosh are some of the most talented preps to hit the GU hardwood; we'll find out if that's true on Sunday.

Now that Gray is also expected to miss 6 - 8 weeks and LG has his issues to deal with, the depth chart's pretty shaky. The only glass "half full" aspect of these developments is it should mean more PT for Ira!, Robert, Austin, and LG.

Pargo, Downs, & Pendo. . .PDP, Incorporated. . .Need to see that troika of talent kick some butt.

upan8th
11-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Grizzlies catch GU at just about the right time: Josh out, Theo out, Bouldin at much less than full strength, and questions galore as to how wunderkind will respond to pressures of their first collegiate game. JUST ABOUT, but not quite. ZAG frosh show understandable early jitters and the Griz take a 7 pt lead into halftime, but Pargo WILL NOT abide an opening loss, scores 24 in the second half, 35 for the game, including two free throws w/10 seconds left on the clock after being fouled on a cross-over drive to the hoop which, demonstrating an admirable ability to learn from past mistakes, he started with 15 seconds left in the game; he then steals Montana's inbound pass and dribbles out the clock with all 5 Griz players futilely chasing, trying to foul him. Gonzaga 76 Montana 75.

zag67
11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally I had said we would win by about 16. Now I have to believe like everyone else that it could be closer, but I still say we will win. We still have some super horses to fall back on, but our options have now been limited. They need to work hard on being a team. Jeremy needs to push it at them and everyone needs to protect against the 3. I think that Kuso and Sacre will hold their end on the boards (hopefully Kuso does not get in early foul trouble). Downs, Ira, LG, Daye and Pendo need to attack their 2/3/4 people and show what they are made of. Do not let up at either end of the court. We still have enough reserves, but we do not have as many matchups that we can exploit. I wish them all a great game and NO INJURIES.

azzagfan
11-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I think Micah has a big game. I just don't think anyone on the Griz can defend him, and if they go into a zone, well Micah will bury them from the outside.

Reborn
11-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Amazing how things can change in a single day. I am just sick to hear about the injuries. However, they will not affect the outcome of the game on Sunday. The team is definately used to playing without Josh, and overall did a great job last year. Most of those guys are back. Zags will just do what they always do. Let's not forget that they are Zags. On Wednesday night I didn't see the team suffer any with Josh out. Sacre is a stud folks and Montana will NOT control him. Sacre gets 13 against Montana and 8 boards and 3 blocks. Will talk about Josh's absence when it becomes known how long he will be out. Gray, imo, will not be missed as much as Josh. I think LG is going to really have a great year anyway, and Gray may have redshirted anyway.

Reborn
11-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Just finished reading the report about U of Montana's crushing victory. It just pumped me up in a way I haven't been for awhile. And all the horrible news about our injuries. Initially, I just wanted to run and punch a wall or a locker or anything. But the bad news has left me, and a new feeling of exhileration has found me ready for a new season. Yes, a new Season for the '07-'08 Zags. We start the season with some bad luck. So what? Are we going to expect the team to fold and just quit now. HELL NO!!! :D And I won't expect most of the fans to either. We are Zag Nation!!!

I may be a nut but I am the type of guy who loves to rise up against adversity. Just like we did last year. I am just so damn excited to watch what THE ZAGS do to Montana on Sunday.

I think the Zag Flame, The Zag Fire, Zag Fuego, is ready to be lit tomorrow. I'm just sooooooo anxious to see who's going to light that flame.

zag67
11-10-2007, 03:43 PM
First I do not think that they will be able to stop Jeremy. I think that he will have between 8 to 9 assists and about 15 points. If Matt plays he will do some great passing and post up against their guards. Also that Downs and Daye will each have a very good game offensively. Defensively IRA, LG and Jeremy will have a standout effort against there top players. Pendo will just do his thing, which is whatever it takes to win. Lastly IRA, Kuso and Sacre will control their big men.

And most important, we WIN.

Nevtelen
11-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I was watching the Zags vs Zona game today, seeing some of Stepp's passes and thinking... hey, that looks like Bouldin's passing. Hope the ankle's feeling good - whether or not he contributes a lot directly in points, Bouldin really contributes to the team when he's in.