PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Back Gary Bell, Jr.

Norwester
07-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Gary will be the Zags new grad assistant for this upcoming season.

Zagdawg
07-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Outstanding! Welcome back!

SLOZag
07-08-2019, 10:59 AM
A big welcome back to one of my favorite Zags!

Spike#1
07-08-2019, 11:11 AM
This is fantastic news! Welcome back Gary!

I think it was mentioned on this board years ago that Gary had the interest in getting into coaching after his playing days were over. This is a great start for Gary and a great addition to the staff!

Zaga
07-08-2019, 11:11 AM
That is good news!

sittingon50
07-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Welcome back Gary!

:clap:

JPtheBeasta
07-08-2019, 11:32 AM

Very cool! He was the best Zag player at fighting around screens and getting into the jersey of the other player on defense. He was a great technician offensively and defensively, and sacrificed a lot for the team, in my opinion. I hope we get a Mark Few show Heister interview out of him down the road. I'd love to hear what he has been up to and what he has to say about the Zag experience.

229SintoZag
07-08-2019, 12:05 PM
This is outstanding. I do like that Few seems to bring back former players who are interested in coaching and adds them to the staff like this. It reinforces the "we are all a family" theme, and it develops a future potential "pipeline" of Few disciples to participate in college backetball as coaches or on the staff in other ways than just as players on the floor. It also sends a nice, perhaps more subtle, message that Gonzaga will attempt to take care of its kids even long after they play their last game.

hockeyzag
07-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Super cool, I just wonder why he didn't continue with his professional career for longer. The guy is still so young.

Bouldin4Prez
07-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Love this!

Reborn
07-08-2019, 03:14 PM
OUTSTANDING Welcome home Gary Bell. An all-time favorite Zag, that's for sure.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
07-08-2019, 04:04 PM
I already feel bad for the first times those frosh don't get back on defense. Won't be pretty, as coach gets video of Bell "getting back."

One of my all time favorites.

AND someone I have noted many times to be an obvious "future coach" somewhere.

He was also one of Few's favorites, and so this makes perfect sense; "Never had a bad practice."

Zagger
07-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Great! Love GBJ’s play. It’s gravy having past Zags around the program. This news just upped my confidence level for next season. Good leadership, and in numbers, goes a long way. Welcome back Bell!

webspinnre
07-08-2019, 10:02 PM

Dude! This is phenomenal news! Welcome back, GBJ!

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-09-2019, 03:22 AM
Great addition to the team and a timely one too; GBJ can help teach the newbies about what it means to be a Zag...on and off the court.

Mantua
07-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Super cool, I just wonder why he didn't continue with his professional career for longer. The guy is still so young.

Gary was making good money and was well respected in Europe. No doubt he has learned a considerable amount about what it takes to be successful. My guess is that he wants to be with his wife and children and get a good start on a successful coaching career. With all of his experiences abroad he will be able to further facilitate recruiting and coaching international recruits. Iím glad that Gonzaga is in a good position to launch Garyís future.

SLOZag
07-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Great addition to the team and a timely one too; GBJ can help teach the newbies about what it means to be a Zag...on and off the court.

Also timely: Acquiring extra coaching assistance with our new back court

Zagdawg
07-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Lots of new faces -- it will be great to have an veteran presence there to help with the guys.

SLOZag
07-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Lots of new faces -- it will be great to have an veteran presence there to help with the guys.

Here's Vince Grippi's take on the issue:

"[Bell] can counsel the newcomers in what they should expect playing for Few and how to get over the bumps of dealing with a coach who is more demanding of excellence out of his guards than most in the college ranks. And he can help the younger ones develop consistency, a valued commodity that was the hallmark of his Gonzaga career."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jul/09/grip-sports-gary-bell-jrs-return-seems-fortuitous-/

DixieZag
07-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Nice, Flex. Yes, especially with this year's team being SO young and not that many vets around showing people the Zag way. GBJ is still young enough to relate, mature enough to bash some heads, and also be a shoulder to lean on. The timing is just perfect Few.

Radbooks
10-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Nice article in the Spokesman-Review tonight!

Family matters to new Gonzaga grad assistant, former standout guard Gary Bell Jr. (https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/oct/17/family-matters-to-new-gonzaga-grad-assistant-forme/?fbclid=IwAR0mzWsIYIRon7n_-MlFYVTd6gWrd6oQpjcI4mxF4O4jW_gRPv7yp0n-HYw)

sittingon50
10-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Thanks Rad.

webspinnre
10-17-2019, 08:32 PM
Awesome, thanks for that share. Glad to have him back again, definitely a fave.

TheZagPhish
10-17-2019, 10:04 PM
I already feel bad for the first times those frosh don't get back on defense. Won't be pretty, as coach gets video of Bell "getting back."

I thought the same thing!

GonzaGAW
10-18-2019, 10:21 AM
- man time sure does fly. I recall going to a craziness in the kennel, when he was a recruit, sitting behind the team bench.

- at this years craziness in the kennel, as they were introducing the coaching staff, they call out gary's name, but from my perspective at floor level I did not see him.

- great news.