PDA

View Full Version : GU vs UW renewal? Todd Turner says no...

dpouley
11-09-2007, 08:43 AM
For as much as everyone hates the Huskies, there have been a ton of UW fans that have pushed for the GU game to get going again after this years UW back out. But here is some of the latest from a somewhat biased UW fan base (not biased against GU, more so against Todd Turner)

http://www.firetoddturner.com/

hockeyzag
11-09-2007, 08:48 AM
NO ZAGS FOR YOU!
http://www.reel-hometheater.com/images/the_soup_nazi017.jpg

:lmao:

Director Turner breaks silence long enough to let fans know he's still not listening.

The fans have asked for it, the local media would love it, and it was developing into a great cross state basketball rivalry. Then it was gone. We are of course talking about Washington v. Gonzaga. Recently members of the media were blindfolded and lead to Director Turner's super secret hideout to discuss the possibility of UW and Gonzaga once again sharing the court. Below is what Director Turner said regarding the game:

“I think right now we’re fairly comfortable with where we are,” UW athletic director Todd Turner said. “The Oklahoma State game will be returned next year, so at least until next year we know what we’re doing. Never say never. I think most people would like to see the (Gonzaga) series continue. If there’s a way that we can work it out sometime down the road, I think we should at least try.” ~ Tacoma News Tribune 11/7/2007

sullyzag66
11-09-2007, 09:39 AM
NO ZAGS FOR YOU!
[IMG]
“I think right now we’re fairly comfortable with where we are,” UW athletic director Todd Turner said. “The Oklahoma State game will be returned next year, so at least until next year we know what we’re doing. Never say never. I think most people would like to see the (Gonzaga) series continue. If there’s a way that we can work it out sometime down the road, I think we should at least try.” ~ Tacoma News Tribune 11/7/2007
And they're already playing WCC powerhouse University of Portland on December 15. Why would they want to give that up?

dawgfather11
11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
don't worry, turner will be gone soon, like real soon sometime this year.

TRhyno
11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds like Todd is scared!

Zag 77
11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I always assumed the basketball coaches set their schedules. I assume Few sets up our schedule, not AD Mike Roth.

Rubbadub
11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
The way I understand it, and it's a little different for each program, is that the coach has input but the decision is always up to the AD.

ZagNative
11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
My understanding is that Jerry Krause, Director of Basketball Operations, has primary responsibility for scheduling. It's probably a committee decision of Krause, Roth, and Few, but scheduling is included in Jerry's job description on the official site.

23dpg
11-09-2007, 11:56 AM
For as much as everyone hates the Huskies, there have been a ton of UW fans that have pushed for the GU game to get going again after this years UW back out. But here is some of the latest from a somewhat biased UW fan base (not biased against GU, more so against Todd Turner)

My hate for the Huskies only started when they bailed on the series. Now it has withered down to indifference. I really hope that GU decides not to renew the series. Oregon or one of the other Pac10 teams would be fine by me.

tyra
11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I was at the President's luncheon before the UW and Arizona State football game. Romar was the guest speaker. Someone asked him if the GU basketball series would resume and he said "yes, it's just a matter of time but we will be playing them again." There was no hesitation in his voice and it was very matter of fact. Maybe he is waiting for Turner to be fired.

CDC84
11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Oregon or one of the other Pac10 teams would be fine by me.

My read on things is that the UW/GU series is more likely to be resumed than any game taking place during the regular season between Gonzaga and Oregon in the foreseeable future....even if it were a one off game on a neutral court.

I think a renewal of the Gonzaga/Stanford series would be nice.

As a side note....the UW/GU series should be strictly home and home. None of this Key Arena or Spokane Arena nonsense that a few people have suggested as alternatives. It would just kill the game atmosphere.

MDABE80
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM

MickMick
11-09-2007, 03:52 PM
The Husky homers think they would be "doing us a favor" by renewing the series. Some even believe that Gonzaga has the nation "hoodwinked". I personally believe the shoe is on the other foot in that regard. I look for their national stature to fall even further this season.

Gonzaga has owned the Huskies in the modern era. Renewing the series only opens Gonzaga up to tired old UW arguments and excuses. It was their decision to end the series. The series should be renewed only under Gonzaga terms (ie. CDC's post).

Otherwise...to heck with em. The recent Gonzaga domination of the series holds it's own water.