PDA

View Full Version : June 27 Lunardi - Zags a 2 seed in Spokane

ZagNative
06-27-2019, 09:48 AM
This would be fun! http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

NotoriousZ
06-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Love the optimism from Joe and love the possible sweet 16 match up with Tex tech. I’d like a big piece of those handsy #######s.

MDABE80
06-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Things have changed dramatically at the guard spots. With a very great collection of bigs, lots depends on how quickly these kids develop themselves and how quickly a "team" develops. Experienced guards to work with Brock. And Brock himself putting up major points and feeding the bigs.

Nevada Don
06-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Can someone explain the basics of location seeding? I remember back when they didn't want a team too close to their home as maybe an unfair advantage. But now, ?

GU playing in Spokane, fantastic !! Last year Gaels shipped to East Coast when I think San Jose was available. This coming year we have Sacramento so close by yet the Gaels will likely end up who knows where.

I am NOT complaining. Being IN the dance is the key. Just asking the question. Is it that they allow 1 and 2 seeds the chance to be close to home?
TIA for any responses.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Can someone explain the basics of location seeding? I remember back when they didn't want a team too close to their home as maybe an unfair advantage. But now, ?

GU playing in Spokane, fantastic !! Last year Gaels shipped to East Coast when I think San Jose was available. This coming year we have Sacramento so close by yet the Gaels will likely end up who knows where.

I am NOT complaining. Being IN the dance is the key. Just asking the question. Is it that they allow 1 and 2 seeds the chance to be close to home?
TIA for any responses.

They try to seed teams seeded 1-4 near their home towns. They can’t play in their home arena. Since the Spokane venue is not the Zags’ primary court, the Zags are eligible to play games there, unless our team is seeded 5 or lower.

soccerdud
06-28-2019, 02:37 PM
They try to seed teams seeded 1-4 near their home towns. They can’t play in their home arena. Since the Spokane venue is not the Zags’ primary court, the Zags are eligible to play games there, unless our team is seeded 5 or lower.

mostly correct, but there's a little more to it than that. basically, every ncaa tournament site has a school "host". next year, WSU is a site "host", and their site just happens to be the spokane arena. the rules state that a school may not be assigned to its own site, so WSU would be ineligible to be sent to the spokane site, if they were to make the tournament next year. other than that prohibition, it's pretty customary to send teams seeded 1-4 to the closest eligible site, based on the order they are seeded.

and as a bonus-- there are not generally a glut of NW teams with high seeds also gunning for the site, so we're way more likely to get our preferred location than, say, a 4-seeded NC State team would be...

anyway, that all kinda works together to make us feel pretty good about our chances of getting a "home" game, provided we get a 4-seed or better.

NotoriousZ
06-28-2019, 03:23 PM
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Zags have never played in Spokane in the NCAA tournament. We seem to have an “off year” each time the opportunity avails itself. And here we are again, tourney in Spokane and the Zags are in rebuilding mode.

Having said that, Lunardi’s two seed projection is encouraging.

seacatfan
06-28-2019, 05:05 PM
next year, WSU is a site "host", and their site just happens to be the spokane arena. the rules state that a school may not be assigned to its own site, so WSU would be ineligible to be sent to the spokane site, if they were to make the tournament next year.

Ha ha, well luckily the chances of WSU making the Tourney are just short of non-existent, so it's as much of a non-issue as is possible.

Nevada Don
06-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Thanks people.
Ask a question---get a good answer.
Cool.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-28-2019, 05:45 PM
Thanks people.
Ask a question---get a good answer.
Cool.

The Gaels would find a friendly crowd in Spokane. With the upgraded schedule and a great season record, it could happen.

Nevada Don
06-28-2019, 06:25 PM
The Gaels would find a friendly crowd in Spokane. With the upgraded schedule and a great season record, it could happen.

From your ears to God's lips...or whatever :pray:

MickMick
06-28-2019, 07:35 PM
This is more about confidence in Mark Few getting new parts ready than anything

KStyles
06-29-2019, 03:51 AM
This is more about confidence in Mark Few getting new parts ready than anything

Yep.

Malastein
06-29-2019, 04:30 AM
Yawn... These are the most meaningless projections possible. Until games are played and the W-L columns fill up then I won’t begin worrying about brackets or top 25 lists. I hope this year is good enough, but I’d be surprised if Coach Few is able to turn such a new group into a top 10 team. I’m hoping for a sweet sixteen type of season, but I’m fearing the wrong side of the bubble. Let’s not count any eggs before they hatch, and this team is certainly a basket full of eggs.

jazzdelmar
06-29-2019, 04:34 AM
Yawn... These are the most meaningless projections possible. Until games are played and the W-L columns fill up then I won’t begin worrying about brackets or top 25 lists. I hope this year is good enough, but I’d be surprised if Coach Few is able to turn such a new group into a top 10 team. I’m hoping for a sweet sixteen type of season, but I’m fearing the wrong side of the bubble. Let’s not count any eggs before they hatch, and this team is certainly a basket full of eggs.

".......but we need the eggs."

Bogozags
06-29-2019, 05:14 AM
Remember, along with the 1-4 seeds having access to close-to-home venues there are also those 13-16 seeds that can also play close to home "IF" there are no other conflicts...

MickMick
06-29-2019, 05:32 AM

In a normal environment I would agree (about the dour feeling of the Zags upcoming season) but...….

Nearly all the typical contenders are undergoing the same issues the Zags are. An unprecedented number of players have declared for the draft early or entered the transfer portal. The entire landscape of basketball is filled with roster churn. So when making prognostications, going with established programs with top coaches is about the only reliable basis to do so. In a normal season. Michigan State wouldn't have a number 1 squad. The only reason they do so now is because they are the most intact top tier team remaining, but their roster really isn't that imposing relative to the rosters of past champions.

If there was ever a season for a relative underdog to come from no where, this would be it. Texas Tech nearly pulled it off last season.

IowaSERE
06-29-2019, 07:58 AM
How does one go about getting tickets to the Spokane Regional?

KStyles
06-29-2019, 10:16 AM
How does one go about getting tickets to the Spokane Regional?

https://www.ncaa.com/tickets/basketball-men/d1

Right now they just have ticket packages available. I believe individual tickets will be on sale later, you can sign up for the pre-sale.

I know the entry for the lottery for the Final Four aready happened.

zagssuperfan
06-29-2019, 12:02 PM
If everything works out this season with new players gelling and no injuries, I think our realistic goal should be a 3 seed. Top 12 seems a lot more realistic to me than top 8. If we can get that 3 seed we get to play in Spokane and have a much better shot at keeping the sweet 16 streak alive, which is my main hope for this season!