PDA

View Full Version : 2019-20 Zags Lineup

Mr Vulture
06-24-2019, 04:48 PM
Now that we have a pretty good idea of the roster, what say y'all as far as the lineup goes. For me, I think it's pretty clear with several freshmen in rotation.

Starting Lineup:
PG - Woolridge
SG - Gilder
W - Kispert
PF - Tillie
C - Petrusev

Primary Rotation Players: Timme, Watson, Ravet
Secondary Rotation Players: Zhakarov, Ayayi, Ballo (don't think he will RS)
Redshirt: Arlauskas (missed a lot of time to injury last year)

Zagsker
06-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Now that we have a pretty good idea of the roster, what say y'all as far as the lineup goes. For me, I think it's pretty clear with several freshmen in rotation.

Starting Lineup:
PG - Woolridge
SG - Gilder
W - Kispert
PF - Tillie
C - Petrusev

That's a thin guard primary rotation

Edit: after a little more thought, no more different than this year....so....CHEERS

SorenTodd45
06-24-2019, 06:57 PM
I still think Drew Timme starts right away; he's a man amongst boys.

Mr Vulture
06-24-2019, 08:00 PM
I still think Drew Timme starts right away; he's a man amongst boys.

I donít see it with Tillie and Petrusev back. With that said, I think itís going to all three rotating thru the 4/5 spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malastein
06-24-2019, 08:15 PM
I don’t see it with Tillie and Petrusev back. With that said, I think it’s going to all three rotating thru the 4/5 spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Petrusev be ready to start by then? Not sure. The only sure thing starter is Tiilie. I could see Kispert as closer to a lock than not as well. One if either Gilded or Woolridge will most likely start as well. I think the starting lineup could change 3-4 times to start out the year.

jazzdelmar
06-25-2019, 06:33 AM
Shallow roster....not much wiggle room for debate here.....both newcomer guards are damaged goods; wary........and the kids are untested. Combo of excitement and unease with all the unknown factors.

bartruff1
06-25-2019, 06:52 AM
Shallow roster....not much wiggle room for debate here.....both newcomer guards are damaged goods; wary........and the kids are untested. Combo of excitement and unease with all the unknown factors.

A lot of unknowns unlike recent years...….if Tillie can play to his potential without injury they will win some games ….if not ???

bdmiller7
06-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Starting Lineup:
PG - Woolridge
SG - Gilder
W - Kispert
PF - Tillie
C - Petrusev

I'd agree with that lineup. I think Ayayi will get double digit minutes this year though. Him, Timme, Watson, and Ravet as the primary bench. Others getting spot minutes or redshirting.

VinnyZag
06-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Starting Lineup:
PG - Woolridge
SG - Gilder
W - Kispert
PF - Tillie
C - Petrusev

That starting group feels almost certain. The only question, to me, is whether Timme or Watson leapfrog Petrusev.

OntZags
06-25-2019, 11:18 AM
That starting group feels almost certain. The only question, to me, is whether Timme or Watson leapfrog Petrusev.

My gut keeps telling me Timme will beat out Petrusev for the starting spot. But we shall see.

I also think Ayayi will be ahead of Ravet on the depthchart.

Reborn
06-25-2019, 11:26 AM
I understand the thinking about Petrusev and Tillie both starting because they appear to have the same kind of game to me. I think we will need a tough inside player to go with them. That would not be Watson in my opinion. Timme really could start, and I think there's another big low post European player. I am still hangin with Ravet as a starter.

sheps001
06-25-2019, 11:41 AM
That lineup is borderline good enough to make the NCAA's. Sorry. Some of the younger players will have to step up for us to make it this year. Scary.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-25-2019, 11:51 AM
That lineup is borderline good enough to make the NCAA's. Sorry. Some of the younger players will have to step up for us to make it this year. Scary.

Agree that making NCAA tourney this upcoming season is far from a given. Not only do Zags need to replace a lot of talent, the leadership void is immense. Methinks we will all appreciate Perkins a lot more than perhaps we did while he was here. Add to this the fact that three of the five guys we are counting on to be major contributors (Tillie, Gilder, Woolridge) are coming off injuries; this adds another layer of uncertainty.

amaronizag
06-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Substitutions begin early in the game and are continuous throughout the game. Regardless of who starts, opponent match-ups will determine which players get the most run in any given game. Our roster has lots of experience and lots of young talent that should be ready to plug and play from the get go. This year, fresh players coming off the bench should guarantee that all players get plenty of bench rest each game so they should all be in great shape and well rested in the post season. I agree with Vulture that we are solid eight deep with four more players Few will be trying to get as many minutes and as much floor time/experience as possible. Another great year ahead.

zagssuperfan
06-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Substitutions begin early in the game and are continuous throughout the game. Regardless of who starts, opponent match-ups will determine which players get the most run in any given game. Our roster has lots of experience and lots of young talent that should be ready to plug and play from the get go. This year, fresh players coming off the bench should guarantee that all players get plenty of bench rest each game so they should all be in great shape and well rested in the post season. I agree with Vulture that we are solid eight deep with four more players Few will be trying to get as many minutes and as much floor time/experience as possible. Another great year ahead.

Along the lines of lots of substitutions and staying fresh, I think playing good hard defense is going to being more important this year than ever before. It seems like we already have that with gilder and woolridge. Now we just have to convince the 3-5 positions that good effort on defense equals playing time. This team isnt going to score nearly as much as past teams, so we have to keep the other teams scoring down.

sheps001
06-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Didn't realize about the injuries. Injuries are cumulative which adds to the uncertainty

cjm720
06-25-2019, 12:48 PM
I think Watson and Timme start from day 1.

Gilder
Kispert
Watson
Tillie
Timme

Ravet, Wooldridge, Petrusev first off the bench.

Bogozags
06-25-2019, 01:08 PM
The 5-spot is Filips to lose...Coach Few isn't going to give Timme or other Frosh starting positions from the first day of practice...

I certainly believe that the two senior guard transfers will (if they are healthy and in shape) start with Brock and Joel getting meaningful minutes...

We have not even seen one minute of D1 ball played by Timme and yet he is by some, being crowned as the second coming...I've seen several of his games on line and he does have talent but an immediate starter, well just don't see it in the cards but that's not saying he couldn't start later in the season but not from day one...IMO

Wooldridge
Gilder
Kispert
Tillie
Petrusev

With Timme, Watson, Joel & Brock coming off the bench when the season begins - that is if there are no injuries...

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-25-2019, 02:35 PM
The 5-spot is Filips to lose...Coach Few isn't going to give Timme or other Frosh starting positions from the first day of practice...

I certainly believe that the two senior guard transfers will (if they are healthy and in shape) start with Brock and Joel getting meaningful minutes...

We have not even seen one minute of D1 ball played by Timme and yet he is by some, being crowned as the second coming...I've seen several of his games on line and he does have talent but an immediate starter, well just don't see it in the cards but that's not saying he couldn't start later in the season but not from day one...IMO

Wooldridge
Gilder
Kispert
Tillie
Petrusev

With Timme, Watson, Joel & Brock coming off the bench when the season begins - that is if there are no injuries...

Assuming all are healthy, I agree w you 100% on this starting lineup Bogozags. The grad transfer guards are by all accounts athletic and can get to the rim and finish. They will fit well alongside proven 3 pt shooters Tillie, Kispert, Petrusev. Bigs who can shoot from 3 = driving lanes for guards who can attack off the bounce and finish at the rim.

What stands out for me about this team is the talent level 1-12. Assuming Timmie, Watson, Ayayi, Ravet earn meaningful roles and force Few to go 9 deep regularly, players 10-12 are Zhakarov, Arlauskas, Ballo. That’s some serious size and young talent for starters to scrimmage against. I’d say best overall depth of talent Zags have had. Makes for great competition in practice.

Who knows...the remaining scholarship just might get filled by an immediately eligible stud transfer set loose by NCAA if/when the other shoe ever drops from FBI investigation. Imagine that depth

ZagzKrak
06-25-2019, 02:45 PM

Starting Lineup:
PG - Woolridge
SG - Gilder
W - Kispert
PF - Tillie
C - Petrusev

PG:Woolridge....Ravet, Ayayi, Watson
SG:Gilder....Ravet, Ayayi, Watson
Wing:Kispert....Watson, Arlauskas
PF:Tillie....Timme, Watson
C:Petrusev....Zhakarov, Ballo, Watson

Watson did say in an interview that he could play 1-5 at GU.....but really I think he will see most of his time at the 3-4. :roll: If no one RS and all stay healthy that is some really good depth in the frontcourt...should allow them to play very hard Defense without the worry of fouls, it would also allow the guards to play up tighter knowing that the bigs have their backs without fearing the fouls...let's hope it all works out.

zag67
06-27-2019, 02:31 PM
I do believe the starting line up, but could see splitting Tillie and Petrusev. But my logic would be one with Watson and one with Timme means more experience for the rest of the team. All four are going to play a lot. Also Woolridge and Gilder need to play with Ravet and Ayayi to merge their experience into the guards. Kispert seems to be a mainstay, but when he is out there could be three bigs or three guards depending on the team they are playing. Also I do not know very much about the other wings.

But we need to remember this is going to be a team in growing from first of the year to March madness.

Reborn
07-15-2019, 01:07 PM
I want to revisit this thread after watching the Zag players who played in the FIBA tournament.
Ballo showed me that he's ready to play D-1 basketball. He will be a beast down low, a player who could be very difficult to handle. Ayayi also played very good and should have a roll to play this upcoming season. He has matured, and Melson is gone. In order to play during the last two years, Ayayi had to beat out Melson. I'm sure Ayayi is feeling much more confident about his playing time. He has been in the Zag system for two years now, and that will definitely matter.

It's common knowledge that the success of the '19-'20 season will depend on the guards. There are very big questions there. I think Admon Gilder will fill the leading role for the guards. He's 6'4" and weighs 200 lbs. That's a big body, and he should be able to fill the role of two-guard. He's a good outside shooter, and can score one on one. Gilder, I believe could also play the point.

Then we have the battle for the point-guard position. Most fans feel Woolridge will start, but I'm one who is not so sure about that. The battle between Woolridge and Ravet will go to the player who best handles the offense and is a good passer. Both players seem very good at that. The edge that Ravet has over Woolridge is his outside shooting. I'm afraid that defenders will play off Woolridge and force him to shoot from the outside. And they would be in position to help out on double teaming the post positions. Ravet is a very good outside shooter. Ayayi has a good chance to also compete for playing time at either of the guard positions.

Tillie
Timme
Kispert
Gilder
Ravet

Ballo, Petrusive, Watson, Woolridge, Ayayi

I feel more positive about the team after watching the young players play in the FIBA tournament this summer. I feel a LOT BETTER about Ballo. He will contribute in a way that I didn't think he could prior to FIBA. i ALSO feel better about Ayayi, who also played well in FIBA, AND IS MATURING as a basketball player. I've done more research on Gilder and feel really good about him. He will be a very good scorer. He can also be a guard who can post up other guards. This is something we haven't seen since we saw Matt Bouldin doing just that.

ZagaZags
07-16-2019, 12:50 AM
I want to revisit this thread after watching the Zag players who played in the FIBA tournament.
Ballo showed me that he's ready to play D-1 basketball. He will be a beast down low, a player who could be very difficult to handle. Ayayi also played very good and should have a roll to play this upcoming season. He has matured, and Melson is gone. In order to play during the last two years, Ayayi had to beat out Melson. I'm sure Ayayi is feeling much more confident about his playing time. He has been in the Zag system for two years now, and that will definitely matter.

It's common knowledge that the success of the '19-'20 season will depend on the guards. There are very big questions there. I think Admon Gilder will fill the leading role for the guards. He's 6'4" and weighs 200 lbs. That's a big body, and he should be able to fill the role of two-guard. He's a good outside shooter, and can score one on one. Gilder, I believe could also play the point.

Then we have the battle for the point-guard position. Most fans feel Woolridge will start, but I'm one who is not so sure about that. The battle between Woolridge and Ravet will go to the player who best handles the offense and is a good passer. Both players seem very good at that. The edge that Ravet has over Woolridge is his outside shooting. I'm afraid that defenders will play off Woolridge and force him to shoot from the outside. And they would be in position to help out on double teaming the post positions. Ravet is a very good outside shooter. Ayayi has a good chance to also compete for playing time at either of the guard positions.

Tillie
Timme
Kispert
Gilder
Ravet

I feel more positive about the team after watching the young players play in the FIBA tournament this summer. I feel a LOT BETTER about Ballo. He will contribute in a way that at didn't think he could prior to FIBA. i ALSO feel better about Ayayi, who also played well in FIBA, AND IS MATURING as a basketball player. I've done more research on Gilder and feel really good about him. He will be a very good scorer. He can also be a guard who can post up other guards. This is something we haven't seen since we saw Matt Bouldin doing just that.

Quick question, when was the last time Gonzaga had a 10 man rotation? I guess it has happened before, I just can't remember when.

OntZags
07-16-2019, 03:16 AM
Quick question, when was the last time Gonzaga had a 10 man rotation? I guess it has happened before, I just can't remember when.

In 2013 11 guys averaged 10+ mins & Barham got some run too. Obviously by the postseason the rotation got tightened.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-16-2019, 03:48 AM

Tillie
Timme
Kispert
Gilder
Ravet

I feel more positive about the team after watching the young players play in the FIBA tournament this summer. I feel a LOT BETTER about Ballo. He will contribute in a way that at didn't think he could prior to FIBA. i ALSO feel better about Ayayi, who also played well in FIBA, AND IS MATURING as a basketball player. I've done more research on Gilder and feel really good about him. He will be a very good scorer. He can also be a guard who can post up other guards. This is something we haven't seen since we saw Matt Bouldin doing just that.

I like your prediction here for the most part Reborn though I do think Tillie and Timme are natural 4’s while Petrusev and Ballo are 5’s. My guess is Petrusev starts alongside Tillie w Ballo and Timme backing them up. Petrusev has to improve his hands and D or Ballo maybe taking his minutes.

zagdontzig
07-16-2019, 08:01 AM
I see Petrusev having a break-out year.

EEzag
07-16-2019, 08:35 AM
I see Petrusev having a break-out year.

Watty and DT may or may not start, but will dominate minutes over everyone cept maybe Tillie. This season is about getting ready for next season.

hooter73
07-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Its make or break for Petrusev. If he cant get tightened up hes going to lose playing time and not see it as worthwhile for how good he does in euro ball. Same with Ayayi. They play great in Euro leagues but dont produce in D1 and the game isnt going to wait for them.

We've seen a four man big man rotation before (Karno, Collins, Tillie, Williams) so I dont see an issue there. Kispert and Watson will probably have all of the wing minutes. Zhakarov and Arlauskas are going to be the wildcards that I dont think anyone can predict.

Mr Vulture
07-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Since the original post I made on this, I have a lot more information and a different view on some of the players and playing time. Here is how I see it playing out now, barring injury of course:

PG - Woolridge
SG - Gilder
W - Kispert
PF - Tillie
C - Petrusev

Main Rotation Guys: Timme, Watson, Ballo, Ravet, Ayayi
Secondary Rotation Guys (hopefully redshirt): Zhakarov, Arlauskas

Reborn
07-16-2019, 11:17 AM
I like your prediction here for the most part Reborn though I do think Tillie and Timme are natural 4ís while Petrusev and Ballo are 5ís. My guess is Petrusev starts alongside Tillie w Ballo and Timme backing them up. Petrusev has to improve his hands and D or Ballo maybe taking his minutes.

Thanks for the "heads up" on Timme being a 4. If that's the case than I'll pick Ballo for the center spot because he definitely outplayed Petrosev in the FIBA Tournament, and made the All-Tournament team. Ballo is a beast down low, and if he doesn't start he'll certainly get a lot of playing time. I know there's a lot of concern about Ballo's age, but to me he didn't look 16/17 at FIBA. He really dominated in the low post, imo. I'm very, very excited to see Ballo play next season.

Zagdawg
07-16-2019, 11:39 AM
I think the center position is Petrusevs to lose---- knows the Zag system ---in FIBA played 25 mins a game and averaged 19.3 pts on 66% shooting with 10 boards 2.6 assists

Ballo played 31 mins with 17.6 pts on 52% shooting with 11.8 boards 1.6 assists

Will Ballo earn his spot during the year-- maybe -- but Ballo will have to get acclimated to the United Sates, college life, NCAA game etc.

Both will do great and the ability to sub out and keep them both fresher will help out the Zags (or if either get into early foul trouble-- we will have an answer -- reminds me a bit of the Shem/Collins dynamic-- and that worked out great).

irishzag_09
07-16-2019, 12:35 PM
I see a big lineup like this:

1 - Woolridge
2 - Kispert/Gilder
3 - Tillie
4 - Timme
5 - Petrusev

Rotation:

Ayayi for Wooldridge at the 1
Watson subs for Timme, Tillie to the 4 and Watson at 3
Ballo/Zakharov for Petrusev

My hot take: With the NBA calling for Tillie after this year for sure, he's going to play between a 3/4 at that level. I'm sure primarily a 4, but in some cases possibly a 3 if he shoots it like we all know he can...this year maybe he flirts a little at the 3 spot because we have a other studs willing to play 4/5...Killian will pressure the new extended 3-point arc at the 3 and will also be a killer block specialist from behind on post players turning for shots to the basket. I know he'd be prone for very quick guards to get past him, but with his size, he can allow the drive and switch if Timme or Petrusev help stop the penetration.

Reborn
07-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Every year we hear a cry for a Power Forward to play the 3. First it was Elias Harris, then Hachimura last year, and now Tillie. It has been obvious to me that Few is not going to play our 4's at the 3. Especially in this day and age where most 4's can extend out behind the 3 point line and hit 3's. Mark Few would rather play a natural 2 guard at the 3 than he would play a 4 at the 3. For example a few years ago he played Mathews at the 3, and last year he played Melson. Gilder is a good example of a natural 2 guard who just might play some time at the 3. Gilder is 6' 4" and 200 pounds. He has the kind of body that Melson has. Gilder is also described as a pretty tough defensive player and rebounder.

webspinnre
07-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Every year we hear a cry for a Power Forward to play the 3. First it was Elias Harris, then Hachimura last year, and now Tillie. It has been obvious to me that Few is not going to play our 4's at the 3. Especially in this day and age where most 4's can extend out behind the 3 point line and hit 3's. Mark Few would rather play a natural 2 guard at the 3 than he would play a 4 at the 3. For example a few years ago he played Mathews at the 3, and last year he played Melson. Gilder is a good example of a natural 2 guard who just might play some time at the 3. Gilder is 6' 4" and 200 pounds. He has the kind of body that Melson has. Gilder is also described as a pretty tough defensive player and rebounder.

Agreed. The closest thing will be when you have someone who's more of a combo forward who is a natural 3 who might slide up to the 4, ala Watson, rather than a natural 4 dropping to a 3.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Agreed. The closest thing will be when you have someone who's more of a combo forward who is a natural 3 who might slide up to the 4, ala Watson, rather than a natural 4 dropping to a 3.

Yeah, I think Watson gets minutes at the 3 backing up Kispert. He has a good role player model in Kispert; if Watson can impact the game as a glue guy capable of scoring like CK, that’s a good way to start his college career.

tinfoilzag
07-16-2019, 03:14 PM
Scoring is not a problem for the upcoming season. The factors that will decide playing time are (in order):

- Taking care of the ball
- Defending and playing team defense
- Blocking out

This is why I think Timme may break into the starting lineup and Ravet will not.

College basketball continues to more more towards the grind-like basketball seen at Virginia/Texas Tech/Villinova/SMC. Teams are spending most of practice working on how to disrupt flow by grabbing, body-ing, slapping and poking on defense and on offense, no shots until single digits on the shot clock. Flows and runs are disrupted by timeouts and foul shots. Gaps in skill level are closed when there are only 30 possessions per team in a game.

Few knows this and will reward players that do the dirty work because we will need them during the tourney.

Reborn
07-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Just finished reading articles and watching video of Watson. and I think he will be a very good 3. In his videos he shows that he's a good passer and handles the ball well enough to play the 3. He's a good post up player with many inside moves, and I think he'll have more success posting up from the 3 position. He will be taller than many 3's. However, I don't think he has the size to post up power forwards. This is where he is not Rui. Rui has the body to post up from the 4 spot quite successfully. Maybe Watson can get the kind of body Rui has with a commitment to lifting weights. Watson loves the full-court fast break, and he does look like Rui when Rui dribbles the ball up court. Watson seems to like passing the ball while dribbling on the fast break more than Rui did. Rui liked to take it all the way to the basket.

cggonzaga
07-16-2019, 06:41 PM
Just finished reading articles and watching video of Watson. and I think he will be a very good 3. In his videos he shows that he's a good passer and handles the ball well enough to play the 3. He's a good post up player with many inside moves, and I think he'll have more success posting up from the 3 position. He will be taller than many 3's. However, I don't think he has the size to post up power forwards. This is where he is not Rui. Rui has the body to post up from the 4 spot quite successfully. Maybe Watson can get the kind of body Rui has with a commitment to lifting weights. Watson loves the full-court fast break, and he does look like Rui when Rui dribbles the ball up court. Watson seems to like passing the ball while dribbling on the fast break more than Rui did. Rui liked to take it all the way to the basket.

Watson is as strong if not stronger than Rui at the same age. He will play some 4 this year.

ZAG 4 LIFE
07-16-2019, 06:48 PM
I think the center position is Petrusevs to lose---- knows the Zag system ---in FIBA played 25 mins a game and averaged 19.3 pts on 66% shooting with 10 boards 2.6 assists

Ballo played 31 mins with 17.6 pts on 52% shooting with 11.8 boards 1.6 assists

Will Ballo earn his spot during the year-- maybe -- but Ballo will have to get acclimated to the United Sates, college life, NCAA game etc.

Both will do great and the ability to sub out and keep them both fresher will help out the Zags (or if either get into early foul trouble-- we will have an answer -- reminds me a bit of the Shem/Collins dynamic-- and that worked out great).

Filip has to play WAY BETTER defense this season... he was a liability on that
End of the floor last year... hopefully he has improved there. Ballo will make him
Earn his PT for sure... that young man is hungry.

cggonzaga
07-16-2019, 09:53 PM
I’ll still be surprised if Ballo gets much pt this year. He’ll be great in 2020 but I just don’t see it this year. Happy to be wrong.

CB4
07-16-2019, 10:47 PM
Watson is not a "role player" or a "glue guy" he's a possible one and done. He's a better player than CK. It just depends how fast he accelerates his game and if he gets a chance to play meaningful minutes despite not knowing the system, presumably, as well as the return players.

LTownZag
07-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Watson is not a "role player" or a "glue guy" he's a possible one and done. He's a better player than CK. It just depends how fast he accelerates his game and if he gets a chance to play meaningful minutes despite not knowing the system, presumably, as well as the return players.
Do you think he'd be apt to want to stay for a possibly very very good team in 20-21 even if he could get drafted after 1 yr?

CB4
07-17-2019, 12:02 AM
Do you think he'd be apt to want to stay for a possibly very very good team in 20-21 even if he could get drafted after 1 yr?

Idk everyone always mentions things like college experience, education, etc. but when it comes down to it, and this isn't specific to Watson, if a college kid has the opportunity to drop out and make a million or more dollars the very next year, whether it's playing basketball or digging snow ditches in Alaska, common sense seems to prevail.

Reborn
07-17-2019, 12:55 AM

I hope you are right about Watson being better than Kispert. That would really be awesome. From my point of view he seems to be a much different player. At least in high school where he (Watson) played the majority of the time in the post.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-17-2019, 02:19 AM

I may be sleeping on Watson. If Zags can get 18-20 ppg from the 3’s (Kispert, Watson) that kind of productivity will open up the D for 4’s (Tillie, Timme) and 5’s (Petrusev, Ballo) to go to work. Offense starts through post players forcing D to help then pass out to the 1’s (Woolridge, Ravet) and 2’s (Gilder, Ayayi) who can attack the rim, spot up for 3’s or swing the ball. Oh yeah, pulling a big out to 3 line who can score from there (Tillie, Petrusev) will be a nice piece of this season’s offense.....really opens up middle of the D.

Ayayi has a leg up on the competition for starting at the 2. As is the case every season, Zags’ early season record is key resume builder for an At Large bid. Hugely important. If the veterans all earn starting roles - Ayayi, Kispert, Tillie, Petrusev - presumably more of Few”s offense is available to them. Then again, Ayayi off the bench as an attacking scorer for 2nd unit would be nice too ......Woolridge and Gilder earning the starters minutes would be a good thing to of course.

This preseason more than any other I hope Few believes he has 10 players deserving of regular minutes. these youngsters earning meaningful PT (Ravet, Watson, Timme, Ballo) would be fun to see and great for next season.

Random thought: I hope Kispert has a dominant year - thinking Thunder Dan Majerle ceiling

JPtheBeasta
07-17-2019, 06:58 AM
Idk everyone always mentions things like college experience, education, etc. but when it comes down to it, and this isn't specific to Watson, if a college kid has the opportunity to drop out and make a million or more dollars the very next year, whether it's playing basketball or digging snow ditches in Alaska, common sense seems to prevail.

Joakim Noah, and players like him, do seem to be the exception and not the rule.

raise the zag
07-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Watson is a great prospect with an unlimited ceiling. Versatile, athletic, long, and can defend/play multiple positions, runs floor well, list goes on.

Not 'one and done' though, unless he takes a flyer like Norvell did.

Anton lacks a true position, and tweeners are highy valued at NCAA level, yet surprisingly not for NBA 1st Rounders. Versatile is a good thing, yet can work against you at the next level believe it or not.

He also needs to bulk up quite a bit. He plays stronger than he actually is (lean base), relies heavily on his natural attributes to carry him, and has an inconsistent motor, which is one of the #1 things they look for in "versatile/tweener" prospects at NBA level. Motor seems/feels like an easy thing to fix, yet far from it. Seems like you can say, "stay 100% engaged, focused, & all out hustle/effort", yet this is an issue, and one reason a couple elite prospects went undrafted this season. Ask any Coach out there, especially in post prospects, about up and down consistency, or motor issues.

Anton made the cut to final 18 for all his good things mentioned above, yet also missed the final cut because he was good at all those things and a couple positions, yet not great/elite at any of them or any one position.

This will take time. He will need to learn multiple sets at multiple positions, and begin to show his strengths at different positions. Not just a great rim protector and rebounder at PF, yet not so good defender at SF, etc etc.

Sometimes the more versatile you are the longer it can take to reach your peak --- see Tillie, Rui, et al.

I'm super excited about Anton's potential, and has a very high ceiling. A sure-fire NBA talent in waiting, yet I think it will take 2 yrs. And I also feel it will take him at least half this season to find his role/value and learn the intricacies at 2, 3, 4, and even 5 positions, as each require different motions, sets, responsibilities in our system.

He will make an instant impact at rebounding, rim protection, transition, can even shoot the ball decently, yet will take time to be trusted for long stretches on the court.

But once all this clicks, and he gains some strength, refined bball IQ, he will be a force. Besides, I hope he sticks around to play with Strawther, Harris, maybe Suggs, et al. and play alongside Timme, Ballo once they get acclimated.

zag67
07-17-2019, 09:20 AM
I also agree with raise the flag

I watched Watson in both state tournaments. Can be dominant but also needs better consentration at both ends. Took time off but always seemed to be there when needed

Mr Vulture
07-17-2019, 10:10 AM

I don't see one and one with Watson at all, and I'm very high on his ability at the next level. I think that two years, probably three, is the likely timeline with Watson. I would be happy to be wrong though as that would mean he has blown up as a freshman far more than I ever thought he would.

CB4
07-17-2019, 11:18 AM
I don't see one and one with Watson at all, and I'm very high on his ability at the next level. I think that two years, probably three, is the likely timeline with Watson. I would be happy to be wrong though as that would mean he has blown up as a freshman far more than I ever thought he would.

You may be right. But guys, this is a Spokane kid. He is a Gonzaga Prep kid. He led his team to two state titles. They lost two games in two years only to national high school programs in close games. He dominated. He was Mr. Basketball. He scored at will. Look at other players from WA, particularly the 5 or 6 most recent Mr. Basketball WA. Most are one and dones. He's pretty muscular already. He's strong. His wingspan is impressive. If he can make the second all WCC team and average 10 points or so I really find it hard to believe he's sticking around.

I am obviously very optimistic on Mr. Watson. I am also optimistic for the other freshman, through probably not to the same degree. I see a lot of comments about inexperience, young players, but this class is stacked. It's unusual for Gonzaga to have so many young players but it's also so unusual to have this talent level. Let the boys run! I think a lot of people will be shocked at how good Gonzaga is next year.

maynard g krebs
07-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Watson's highest national ranking I found was 40th on 247, w/ a composite of 47. From what I've seen, top 50 seems right, and that's pretty good. His iq and team play make him more valuable to a college team than a lot of top 50 guys, but my guess is that he's a 2-3 year guy, probably 3 to be a first rounder.

I don't see more than a sliver of a chance that he's one and done.

OntZags
07-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Watson's highest national ranking I found was 40th on 247, w/ a composite of 47. From what I've seen, top 50 seems right, and that's pretty good. His iq and team play make him more valuable to a college team than a lot of top 50 guys, but my guess is that he's a 2-3 year guy, probably 3 to be a first rounder.

I don't see more than a sliver of a chance that he's one and done.

Ja Morant just went from unranked entering college to #2 overall after 1 season. Rankings aren't the be all end all.

He's got good athleticism, a great build, well rounded skillset and the versatality teams are looking for. If everything lines just right he could easily be a 1 and done. Much more than a slivers' chance.

My money is we'll get to see multiple years of AW but any outcome (1- full 4 years) wouldn't surprise me.

maynard g krebs
07-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Ja Morant just went from unranked entering college to #2 overall after 1 season. Rankings aren't the be all end all.

He's got good athleticism, a great build, well rounded skillset and the versatality teams are looking for. If everything lines just right he could easily be a 1 and done. Much more than a slivers' chance.

My money is we'll get to see multiple years of AW but any outcome (1- full 4 years) wouldn't surprise me.

Morant played 2 years.

True about rankings; Adam was 200ish and played like an AA as a senior. I thought he belonged in the McDonalds game.

I used the rankings to justify my opinion that he'll be probably be around for a while. The game I saw in the tourney, v Fed Way, he didn't dominate like you'd expect a 1 and done to do. I just think some people are expecting a bit too much from him out of the gate.

Goshzagit
07-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Morant played 2 years.

True about rankings; Adam was 200ish and played like an AA as a senior. I thought he belonged in the McDonalds game.

I used the rankings to justify my opinion that he'll be probably be around for a while. The game I saw in the tourney, v Fed Way, he didn't dominate like you'd expect a 1 and done to do. I just think some people are expecting a bit too much from him out of the gate.

And Morant made HUGE improvements between Year 1 & Year 2.

Namely, strength, shooting, & refining his PG skills.

He flashed his talent his 1st year and became a more well rounded player 2nd year.

The different between late 2nd Round flyer (Year 1), to the #2 overall pick.

Made a big difference.

OntZags
07-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Morant played 2 years.

Yeah you're right. For some reason I thought he was 1 and done.

But Jaxson Hayes just went from being outside the top 100 recruit to a top-10 pick. It's not unheard of.

I don't think Watson is likely to be a one and done but I think it's a reasonable possibility. He has the physical makeup and all it takes one strong enough season to make it happen.

mgadfly
07-17-2019, 07:12 PM
If Watson plays the three for any significant amount of minutes, he'll be the biggest three Mark Few has ever used.

I think Morrison is the biggest three-man during Few's tenure. If we were to see a bigger three it might have happened in 2009 when Micah Downs and Austin Daye (I think combined they were barely Karnowski's weight, but both were long) would have seen minutes. But then Sacre's injury early in the season prevented that from really happening. 2013 was a candidate too, but instead of playing Harris there, who could defend on the perimeter and shot well enough from three to be a threat, the coaches tried Barham, Guy Landri-Edi, Mike Hart and finally landed on Gary Bell a PG/SG type.

This may be the year we go big, but it hasn't happened in the first nineteen years, so I'm going to take a bit of a wait and see attitude towards it.

MDABE80
07-17-2019, 08:57 PM
So much talent with this team, it’s impossible to predict who gets the lions share. Few will have to sort it out. One thing we can be sure of is that we have FF talent. Ballo has enough to take over a game. Many others could too. Positions 1-3 are puzzling. In a good way;)

GoZags
07-17-2019, 09:07 PM
So much talent with this team, it’s impossible to predict who gets the lions share. Few will have to sort it out. One thing we can be sure of is that we have FF talent. Ballo has enough to take over a game. Many others could too. Positions 1-3 are puzzling. In a good way;)

I still don’t think the ‘19/‘20 roster is final. I think another piece/cog may materialize.

webspinnre
07-17-2019, 09:26 PM
I still don’t think the ‘19/‘20 roster is final. I think another piece/cog may materialize.

Well that's an intriguing hint...

CB4
07-17-2019, 09:52 PM
I hope this doesn't mean another grad transfer...

hooter73
07-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Huh, didn’t realize we do have one open scholarship left.

jazzdelmar
07-18-2019, 04:54 AM
I hope this doesn't mean another grad transfer...

What else could it mean?

zagssuperfan
07-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Huh, didn’t realize we do have one open scholarship left.

Assuming Larson is gone, we have one.

cjm720
07-18-2019, 09:22 AM
What else could it mean?

Euro!

Reborn
07-18-2019, 09:57 AM
I reviewed a tap of the All-Star game between Washington and Oregon yesterday and observed how Ravet may play at Gonzaga. I've said this a couple times before that Ravet is an excellent passer and outside shooter. And that's pretty much how he played in the All-Star game. HE hit 4 three pointers and was mostly passing the ball to open shooters. This is where I feel he may have it over Woolridge. Woolridge is not known to be a good outside shooter. Very good outside shooting by Perkins is going to be something that will be missed, and something that Coach Few may want as a weapon next season. If he does, Ravet would be the guy that could provide that kind of shooting.

Woolridge, on the other hand, is a very good passer also and it's said he's a very good defensive player. He also has real good size for a guard at 6' 3". He also has really good speed. In some ways these descriptions of Woolridge remind me of Goodson who was a really fast guard but could not shoot from the outside. Because of this they players who guarded him were instructed to play off of Goodson and be in a help position to double up on post players. When I think of all of the Gonzaga point guards most of them were very good 3 point shooters.

Therunner
07-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Fun to see the kids working out together.

Tillie leading the way..

Along with Watson, Gilder, Timme, Arklauskas, Petrusev, & Ravet.

https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/1151274542624468993?s=19

Reborn
07-18-2019, 10:16 AM
It's good to see that there are GU players who are on campus working out together. There hasn't been very much reporting outside of this one, about the guys working out together. I'm also wondering if anyone who posts here has seen the Zags playing ball together? There are usually reports here about some of those games.

CPkZagFan
07-19-2019, 08:13 PM
Even though I live in Texas, I got on the Gonzaga train back when they made their first elite 8 run and have been a rabid fan ever since. This is the first time on the forum.
I agree with Vulture's assessment and starting five. However, having watched all the state Washington High School playoffs, I think Watson has some definite weaknesses that will need to be addressed. Talent wise he definitely has all the offensive tools but I was a little shocked at the lack of defensive intensity he showed when his team played Federal Way. If it had not been for the rest of his team, especially Liam Lloyd, they never would have advanced to the state championship game. He seemed way too laid back on defense, especially giving the player he was guarding a huge amount of space and not even raising his arms that much. I think Brock Ravet will have some challenges but I think he definitely brings something to the table and I think he will be a starter before he graduates.

sheps001
07-19-2019, 09:45 PM
Where in Texas? My son lives in Austin and is a big big big Zag fan. Yes Im a big Zag fan too. Law '75.

Reborn
07-19-2019, 10:47 PM
Even though I live in Texas, I got on the Gonzaga train back when they made their first elite 8 run and have been a rabid fan ever since. This is the first time on the forum.
I agree with Vulture's assessment and starting five. However, having watched all the state Washington High School playoffs, I think Watson has some definite weaknesses that will need to be addressed. Talent wise he definitely has all the offensive tools but I was a little shocked at the lack of defensive intensity he showed when his team played Federal Way. If it had not been for the rest of his team, especially Liam Lloyd, they never would have advanced to the state championship game. He seemed way too laid back on defense, especially giving the player he was guarding a huge amount of space and not even raising his arms that much. I think Brock Ravet will have some challenges but I think he definitely brings something to the table and I think he will be a starter before he graduates.

Congrats, CPKZagFan. It's really great to see someone bran new here on GUBoards. Your post is well written and it shows that you put some good thinking into it. A darn good post for your first attempt at it. I look forward to seeing many more. Have fun here, and don't be shy. We need all the help we can get here, especially from people who seem to know a little about basketball. I'll keep an eye open for your posts. I have never seen Watson play, but I've seen Brock many times beginning when he was probably a 7th grader. He's just a year younger then one of my grandkids who played against Brock when they were in Middle School AAU ball. I've also watch Ravet a few times when he was in high school. If you have followed this forum for awhile you must know how much I like Brock Ravet. My son did see Watson play and felt he would be a very good D-1 player. That's all it took for me to become a Watson fan. My son has great knowledge and insight into what makes an athlete great. Those of us who rave about the Washington athletes (fans like me) who play for Gonzaga are really blessed right now. These two new guys plus Kispert are going to be soooo much fun to watch.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-20-2019, 03:19 AM
Congrats, CPKZagFan. It's really great to see someone bran new here on GUBoards. Your post is well written and it shows that you put some good thinking into it. A darn good post for your first attempt at it. I look forward to seeing many more. Have fun here, and don't be shy. We need all the help we can get here, especially from people who seem to know a little about basketball. I'll keep an eye open for your posts. I have never seen Watson play, but I've seen Brock many times beginning when he was probably a 7th grader. He's just a year younger then one of my grandkids who played against Brock when they were in Middle School AAU ball. I've also watch Ravet a few times when he was in high school. If you have followed this forum for awhile you must know how much I like Brock Ravet. My son did see Watson play and felt he would be a very good D-1 player. That's all it took for me to become a Watson fan. My son has great knowledge and insight into what makes an athlete great. Those of us who rave about the Washington athletes (fans like me) who play for Gonzaga are really blessed right now. These two new guys plus Kispert are going to be soooo much fun to watch.

+1 Welcome CP

GoZags
07-20-2019, 06:07 AM
Euro!

I can think of some guys that Tommy has gotten to the US that weren’t exactly “Euro’s”. Rui Hachimura and Greivis Vazquez come to mind. And J.P. Batista worked out okay.

NotoriousZ
07-20-2019, 06:16 AM
I can think of some guys that Tommy has gotten to the US that werenít exactly ďEuroísĒ. Rui Hachimura and Greivis Vazquez come to mind. And J.P. Batista worked out okay.

International!

NotoriousZ
07-20-2019, 06:19 AM
How soon do you think we will know who this guy is?

GoZags
07-20-2019, 06:27 AM
How soon do you think we will know who this guy is?

Nothing is ever in the bag until it is in the bag. We learned about Ronny coming in the 4th week of August.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Fun to see the kids working out together.

Tillie leading the way..

Along with Watson, Gilder, Timme, Arklauskas, Petrusev, & Ravet.

https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/1151274542624468993?s=19

Tillie leading ankle strengthening workout.

Mantua
07-20-2019, 04:05 PM

Federal way had two agile bigs. Prep had Anton who was getting in foul trouble while Federal Wayís bigs were grabbing his jersey,etc and not getting called. Coach McIntyreís risk was to sit Anton for quite a few minutes in the second half and let Federal Wayís bigs foul out. When Federal Way was in deep foul trouble, Anton was subbed in and cleaned up. The coach saw early in the game that the fouls werenít being called evenly. He didnít want Anton to have to defend if he was just going to get called. Liam Lloyd went along way to get Federal Way in trouble so that when Anton came back in there was no one left to defend against his offense. There was a picture of Anton going up for a basket with Jaden McDanielís fingers tugging on his jersey.

maynard g krebs
07-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Federal way had two agile bigs. Prep had Anton who was getting in foul trouble while Federal Way’s bigs were grabbing his jersey,etc and not getting called. Coach McIntyre’s risk was to sit Anton for quite a few minutes in the second half and let Federal Way’s bigs foul out. When Federal Way was in deep foul trouble, Anton was subbed in and cleaned up. The coach saw early in the game that the fouls weren’t being called evenly. He didn’t want Anton to have to defend if he was just going to get called. Liam Lloyd went along way to get Federal Way in trouble so that when Anton came back in there was no one left to defend against his offense. There was a picture of Anton going up for a basket with Jaden McDaniel’s fingers tugging on his jersey.

Lloyd scored 14 of his 19 in the first quarter, if memory serves, on four 3ptrs. I don't think he had much of anything to do w/ Fed Way's bigs fouling out; each had a dumb tickytack foul or two in the second half, and the refs certainly didn't swallow their whistles on those. Not like LLoyd was taking it to the hoop on them. I was there and saw no significant disparity in the officiating; it was the Fed Way guys who fouled out, not Prep's, allowing Anton to take over in the last 4 minutes. McDaniels missed most of the 2nd qtr w/ foul trouble as well. During that stretch Eason was scoring on Watson, and Watson wasn't scoring on Eason.

Mantua
07-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Lloyd scored 14 of his 19 in the first quarter, if memory serves, on four 3ptrs. I don't think he had much of anything to do w/ Fed Way's bigs fouling out; each had a dumb tickytack foul or two in the second half, and the refs certainly didn't swallow their whistles on those. Not like LLoyd was taking it to the hoop on them. I was there and saw no significant disparity in the officiating; it was the Fed Way guys who fouled out, not Prep's, allowing Anton to take over in the last 4 minutes. McDaniels missed most of the 2nd qtr w/ foul trouble as well. During that stretch Eason was scoring on Watson, and Watson wasn't scoring on Eason.

I watched the game on tv four times.

Zagger
07-21-2019, 02:49 AM
Hmmmm .... when thinking about 19-20 starters I end up wondering about 3 Zags and how much they may improve over past play as a Zag: Kispert, Tillie and Petrusev. These 3, like many a Zag before them, are quite likely to really shine brighter this coming season. Ayayi too for that matter. It would not surprise me if Ayayi was in the early season starting lineup (along with K, T and P). I will have to see the transfers play as a Zag in KITK before I place them in a starting lineup. At this point if, I do include A as a starter with KTP I’d venture that the 5th starter could be Watson or Ravet (and I’m not ruling out Timme either).
Lots of unknowns in store for what the flavor of the 19-20 Zag team will be. Perkins was a well known quantity. The PG situation now is the opposite of that. 19-20 is going to be interesting.

Zags1993
07-21-2019, 07:21 AM
https://twitter.com/mikegrib8/status/1152822651414409216

Interesting take. If Fiba plays is any indication I think Joel may have a shot at starting.

Ladyzag12
07-21-2019, 07:32 AM
I don't see woolridge averaging more than 20 minutes a game. He is a zero on offense but may be our best point guard defender ever. Admon will be the center of our team and our best guard since NWG. I don't we can count on Tillie to play consistent minutes because of his injury history. People who think Petrusev will lose minutes are insane. He will be in the league next summer. While I don't think Ballo is actually 16, he will be an animal in D1 and the only things that will hold him back are foul trouble and learning the system.

StatZag19
07-21-2019, 07:55 AM
While I don't think Ballo is actually 16, he will be an animal in D1 and the only things that will hold him back are foul trouble and learning the system.[/QUOTE]

He's actually 17 now :roll:

Ladyzag12
07-21-2019, 08:05 AM
If Ballo is actually 17, then Thon Maker is actually 22.

cjm720
07-21-2019, 08:50 AM
https://twitter.com/mikegrib8/status/1152822651414409216

Interesting take. If Fiba plays is any indication I think Joel may have a shot at starting.

Very encouraging report. We need him!

JPtheBeasta
07-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Ayayi certainly looked like a guy who was in control and that the game had slowed down for him. This would be fantastic news if he is ready for some playing time, because the team could certainly use him. Ayayi has the tools to be a great defender with his quickness and length. The Zags' perimeter defense has potential to be elite this year if Woolridge is as advertised.

Reborn
07-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Lots of unknowns in store for what the flavor of the 19-20 Zag team will be. Perkins was a well known quantity. The PG situation now is the opposite of that. 19-20 is going to be interesting.

This really is the case when thinking about next season, "lots of unknowns." However, imo what is known is that Gonzaga has never seen this many new players with this much talent. And at the same time, I don't think Gonzaga has ever lost 4 starters after a season was over. So there is going to be a lot of opportunity for these new players to see playing time. Practices this coming Fall will be immensely intense.

The fact that sticks out the most to me is that the Zags only have one returning starter, Corey Kispert. As we all know, Killian Tillie has played a lot over the years, but he has never been a starter or a player who has played a lot of minutes. He has been held back because of injuries. The question regarding Killian is "can he play 30 minutes a game?" The best news regarding this question is the fact that if he can't then the Zags will be able to defer his minutes to players who will be inexperienced but very talented. I'm talking about Watson, Timme, Ballo and Zhakarov. All four of these players are very talented, and all four are 4 Star players. That's a lot of talent.

I think the same thing can be said about Petrusev. He's an experienced player at Gonzaga, but has not been a steady contributor over the entire season. Questions arose about him that I'm not positive have been answered. It could have been about his toughness and rebounding and defense. If he hasn't made positive strides to overcome those problems than, once again, we have some very tough players just waiting to get playing time. The Zags will have 6 post players who are talented and are going to be going all out to get playing time. Gonzaga has NEVER been THIS DEEEP in the posts.

I think another really good question is, "what is going to separate these 4 very talented post players (Timme, Watson, Zhakarov and Ballo)? The answer, as I see it, has to be toughness shown on defensive skills, rebounding and being able to play team defense. They have all shown a desire to play defense. Zhakarov says he enjoys playing defense more than offense. Timme is described as a hard working player. It's reported that Watson can defend all five positions. And finally, Ballo is just seen as a monster rebounder and shot blocker. I'm not sure how this is going to be sorted out. It seems to be the opinion of fans here on GUBoards that one way to begin to solve it is to have Watson play the 3. If he can defend at that position this will certain begin to solve the problem of getting playing time for these Bigs.

I believe most of us fans feel pretty positive about the post players and what they will contribute to the team next season. However, there remains a pretty big question mark about the guards, and it could certainly be a problem for the team. I don't think we have ever Not had an experienced point guard leading the Zags. I would say the back-up point guard last year was Zach Norvell, and he will not be on the team next year. Joel Ayayi did play some, but he certainly was not what I'd call the back-up point guard. There has been much better thoughts about him so far, and his play in the FIBA Tournament does suggest that he may have matured and is ready for more playing and a more significant role on next season's team.

I think it's the general consensus that Gilder is going to be a very good player and will take the place of Norvell. And that is really big news. If Ayayi can not show that he can handle the back-up role at the 2, then I feel that either Watson or perhaps Kispert will come in to play that role.

This leaves perhaps the biggest question on the team, and perhaps the most important, "who is going to run this team?" It appears it will be Woolridge and Ravet. Neither of them have experience running Mark Few's offense, and that concerns me. Woolridge does have experience running an offense at the D1 level, and he's a senior, but unfortunately he has not run offenses against Elite College basketball teams like UNC, Michigan St, Oregon, Seton Hall and University of Washington. Ravet has no D1 experience at all, but absolutely does show he has very good offensive skills and can really shoot the 3 ball. He has loads of confidence so it will be neat watching this all unfold. I wonder if Watson can play the point? Or Gilder? Can Ayayi? These are all good questions.

It will be absolutely exciting to see how all of this plays out. Most likely we won't know who the top 8 players will be until our conference games start in late December. The early part of the season will be a time we'll probably see ten players get playing time. How they play during actual live game time will determine what their roles will be when conference games begin.

Go Zags!!!

bartruff1
07-21-2019, 01:06 PM
I have seen very little of the new bigs….but hopefully if Watson has a chance to scrimmage with Sabonis and Clarke and Williams and Calvary among others..... he will see the need to play with a lot more intensity...…. especially on defense....

EEzag
07-21-2019, 01:20 PM
I have seen very little of the new bigsÖ.but hopefully if Watson has a chance to scrimmage with Sabonis and Clarke and Williams and Calvary among others..... he will see the need to play with a lot more intensity...Ö. especially on defense....

Iíll say this about Watson and Ravet, both who Iíve seen in person multiple times. Star players on teams who donít have another star on the team usually win by their scoring, period. Iíve never had a talent like that on a team Iíve coached but Iíve had to face them and the game plan is always the same, go right at them, make them work and hopefully get them in foul trouble. This is not always successful but you have little choice. Anton and Brock will for the first time not be the focus of the other teams game plan and they will thrive, especially Anton. With some DI conditioning and guys like Tillie and timme playing around him Anton will dominate. Brock will surprise many on this board as well. 2 keys for this season are guard health and defensive cohesion. We might have one of the best defensive teams in zag history this year. Coaches have their work cut out for them though.

bdmiller7
07-21-2019, 01:21 PM
As we all know, Killian Tillie has played a lot over the years, but he has never been a starter or a player who has played a lot of minutes. He has been held back because of injuries. The question regarding Killian is "can he play 30 minutes a game?"

Go Zags!!![/QUOTE]

Tillie did start 35 games his soph year. I know last year was almost a total loss, but I think the year before is a little overblown because he missed the elite 8 game and was sorely missed. I think this year he comes back strong, a lot of draft sites still think hes a 1st round pick next year. I don't think he will need to play more than 26-27 minutes with the depth at forward.

Outraged
07-21-2019, 01:46 PM
I would be happy with twenty minutes. I can see tandem rotation like three years ago where Few would swap center and forward pairs together.

CPkZagFan
07-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Where in Texas? My son lives in Austin and is a big big big Zag fan. Yes Im a big Zag fan too. Law '75.

I live directly north of Austin in Cedar Park.

GonzaGAW
07-22-2019, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=EEzag;1471861] We might have one of the best defensive teams in zag history this year.

- I agree that the defense, while an unknown (as is everything) is what has me excited.
- at guard we have ayayi's quickness and length, gilder and woolridge both come to us with top notch reports and stats showing they can shutdown their opposing opponent.
- at the wing, we have seen kispert improving, and Watson I think is going to learn (already has received the message) that defense is what coach is going to value out of him. I think he will rise to the challenge.
- the bigs, petrusev has shown defense to be a weakness at times, but hey he can only improve right? Tillie we know is a good defender, and ballo is young, but with that 7'6" reach he is going to block his fair share of shots. I've not seen timmie play or film, but everyone on this board speaks to a sabonis type motor, and now I read that zahakarov likes to play defense more than offense.

- I too think we have the potential makings of a superior defensive squad this coming year.

LTownZag
07-22-2019, 03:21 PM
We might have one of the best defensive teams in zag history this year. Coaches have their work cut out for them though.

That seems absurdly optimistic.

Kispert is a below-average defender at the 3, and will almost certainly start. His backups are freshmen.
Petrusev is a below-average defender at the 5 and will almost certainly start.
Ravet will be among the top4 guys (by minutes) at the guard spot, and is already below average for defending against small high schools.

Those facts alone will prevent GU from having close to our best defense ever.

Then add in the fact that we lost Clarke (realistic DPOY), we are going into the first season in 6 years without an impact RS player who has been practicing/defending/learning with the team for a year, and we'll be relying on more true freshmen and 1-yr transfers than any time in the last decade, and defense in college BBall is a team strategy/philosophy.

EEzag
07-22-2019, 04:02 PM
That seems absurdly optimistic.

Kispert is a below-average defender at the 3, and will almost certainly start. His backups are freshmen.
Petrusev is a below-average defender at the 5 and will almost certainly start.
Ravet will be among the top4 guys (by minutes) at the guard spot, and is already below average for defending against small high schools.

Those facts alone will prevent GU from having close to our best defense ever.

Then add in the fact that we lost Clarke (realistic DPOY), we are going into the first season in 6 years without an impact RS player who has been practicing/defending/learning with the team for a year, and we'll be relying on more true freshmen and 1-yr transfers than any time in the last decade, and defense in college BBall is a team strategy/philosophy.

Fair enough. You also could mention we lost Rui's athleticism. However, GU hasn't had a lot of elite defensive teams throughout it's storied albeit somewhat recent history. I'm basing more on the transfer guards coming in. They are both elite on-ball defenders, which can hide many ills. Watson and Timme are both above average athletes and we know Tillie can play D. Sure there are holes and this isn't 2016-2017, but as far as GU defense goes, this one could rank up there pretty high. Optimistic.....sure........absurdly.......I don't see it that way.

Reborn
07-22-2019, 04:20 PM
One thing that will help Mark Few and his assistants create another very good defensive team is going to be the level of competition at every position this year. Because the players are pretty even I think on offense, what is going to separate them is their desire to play D. Yes. Good defense comes from PURE DESIRE to play it. Yes! They need to be tough, but I think most players who play in D1 are tough. They need to come to every practice and every game with the mind set of playing tough defense and to work really hard at it.

LTownZag
07-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Fair enough. You also could mention we lost Rui's athleticism.

I could have, but chose not to since (despite his athleticism) I don't think Rui's functional defense was anything to write home about. (some special blocks, but he was learning and had missed assignments and late closeouts and boxouts.)

ZagRecruitWatch
07-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know how BYU is going to handle its scholarship problem? I count that they currently have 16 scholarship players. Are they expecting 3 players to go on mission trips this year?

Bogozags
07-23-2019, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=EEzag;1471861] We might have one of the best defensive teams in zag history this year.

- I agree that the defense, while an unknown (as is everything) is what has me excited.
- at guard we have ayayi's quickness and length, gilder and woolridge both come to us with top notch reports and stats showing they can shutdown their opposing opponent.
- at the wing, we have seen kispert improving, and Watson I think is going to learn (already has received the message) that defense is what coach is going to value out of him. I think he will rise to the challenge.
- the bigs, petrusev has shown defense to be a weakness at times, but hey he can only improve right? Tillie we know is a good defender, and ballo is young, but with that 7'6" reach he is going to block his fair share of shots. I've not seen timmie play or film, but everyone on this board speaks to a sabonis type motor, and now I read that zahakarov likes to play defense more than offense.

- I too think we have the potential makings of a superior defensive squad this coming year.

Team Defence is just that TEAM DEFENCE and everyone on the TEAM doesn't have to be elite defenders, they just need to understand the defensive concept put forth by the coaching staff. To be effective, everyone must buy into the system or the system won't work. I believe this team has the potential to be excellent defensively but time will tell.

The freshman will determine the level of success the Zags have this season and those than adjust to D1 defence, will be difference makers early this season.

Someone mentioned CK's defence is lacking; however, he has improved in each of his first two years and I believe he will again and Joel is going to be hell on wheels on defence and just hope that his confidence on the offensive side improves.

With regards to Tillie, I have but one concern and that is which Tillie will show up in each game. He has had extreme difficulty adjusting defensively, which limited his floor time in the games he played this past season. He could be a dominant player life he was in the WCC Tournament two years ago but he has not shown any consistency since, yes it could be his injuries last year that interfered with his game tempo.

I think that after 8-12 games, Ballo will be an impactful player coming off the bench and if Filip doesn't step-up, then Ballo might just start as the season progresses.

We all hope that Filip and Tillie play UP to their potential this season.

I think this team has the potential to have another 30 win season but all the pieces have to fall into place for that to happen...it will be interesting to watch this team develop and improve as a TEAM...so many new pieces but it could be a "plug & play" season.

IowaSERE
07-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know how BYU is going to handle its scholarship problem? I count that they currently have 16 scholarship players. Are they expecting 3 players to go on mission trips this year?

Emery just "retired"

Bogozags
07-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Emery just "retired"

He sure didn't seem to have his "heart" in the game last season...he seemed over weight and out of shape...must be that married life has taken it's toll for practice time...wish he good luck! Had he played this year I thought BYU could be a formidable opponent...time will tell if his "retirement" will have a negative effect on the teams performance

bdmiller7
07-23-2019, 12:04 PM
He sure didn't seem to have his "heart" in the game last season...he seemed over weight and out of shape...must be that married life has taken it's toll for practice time...wish he good luck! Had he played this year I thought BYU could be a formidable opponent...time will tell if his "retirement" will have a negative effect on the teams performance

The way he played last year I'm not sure he would start this year with Toolson coming back and Haws and Wade. He was a completely different player after the suspension. Vanquish the Foe says this opens up a schollie and that Alex Borcello from Arizona could be an option to transfer in and sit this year.

ZagRecruitWatch
07-23-2019, 12:59 PM
The way he played last year I'm not sure he would start this year with Toolson coming back and Haws and Wade. He was a completely different player after the suspension. Vanquish the Foe says this opens up a schollie and that Alex Borcello from Arizona could be an option to transfer in and sit this year.

According to https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/brigham-young they have 15 players on scholarship and need to dump 2. Unless they got a bunch of guys going on missions, getting Borcello is doubtful.

bdmiller7
07-23-2019, 02:00 PM
According to https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/brigham-young they have 15 players on scholarship and need to dump 2. Unless they got a bunch of guys going on missions, getting Borcello is doubtful.

I'm pretty sure Nield, Hansen, and DowDell are all walk-ons, making it 12. Vanquish the Foe has had a couple articles talking about how they still have an open schollie to fill, but I could be wrong.

MDABE80
07-23-2019, 05:14 PM
Honestly guys/gals.......who starts not only doesn't matter because the top 8 guys get playing time to suit the situation or the opponent . We haven't seen enough of the squad at work to know what the best team is. We have 4 good guards and 5 good bigs . I was honestly shocked to see how talented Ballo was. Timme is a tireless bigger version of John Brockman. Killian will get lots of time if he can stay healthy. Watson.....great play and kid who wants to learn.

I'm sure this team will take a while to gel but will fit together after a few games. Who does what is always puzzling in the beginning.
Coaching job will be tough but Few has some good assistants. Bell will help plenty. Cory needs to stand up and play defense from day 1. It'll be a 5 loss team. but we'll be top ten or better.

IowaSERE
07-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Honestly guys/gals.......who starts not only doesn't matter because the top 8 guys get playing time to suit the situation or the opponent . We haven't seen enough of the squad at work to know what the best team is. We have 4 good guards and 5 good bigs . I was honestly shocked to see how talented Ballo was. Timme is a tireless bigger version of John Brockman. Killian will get lots of time if he can stay healthy. Watson.....great play and kid who wants to learn.

I'm sure this team will take a while to gel but will fit together after a few games. Who does what is always puzzling in the beginning.
Coaching job will be tough but Few has some good assistants. Bell will help plenty. Cory needs to stand up and play defense from day 1. It'll be a 5 loss team. but we'll be top ten or better.

If we have 5 losses, we will not be a top 10 team or better. We'd end up as a 5-6 seed with 5 loses.

MDABE80
07-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Doubt it Iowa. 4-5 losses is standard.

ZagRecruitWatch
07-23-2019, 07:10 PM

Yeah for any major conference. We take that many losses in the WCC the committee will always hit us hard. It's unfortunate but that's reality.

MDABE80
07-23-2019, 07:38 PM
WCC. Two loses. The rest in a difficult OOC. Young team. Lotsa inexperience in D1. I guess we’ll see but I wouldn’t be surprised at all. In the end though 2 more in OOC with 1 in the NCAA tournament. It’s not bad. I don’t see an E 8 this year. Just my thoughts.

ZagzKrak
07-23-2019, 10:57 PM
I think we need to go at least 1-1 vs. UNC Atlantis and at home to stay in the top 10

Markburn1
07-24-2019, 12:41 AM
This really is the case when thinking about next season, "lots of unknowns." However, imo what is known is that Gonzaga has never seen this many new players with this much talent. And at the same time, I don't think Gonzaga has ever lost 4 starters after a season was over. So there is going to be a lot of opportunity for these new players to see playing time. Practices this coming Fall will be immensely intense.

The fact that sticks out the most to me is that the Zags only have one returning starter, Corey Kispert. As we all know, Killian Tillie has played a lot over the years, but he has never been a starter or a player who has played a lot of minutes. He has been held back because of injuries. The question regarding Killian is "can he play 30 minutes a game?" The best news regarding this question is the fact that if he can't then the Zags will be able to defer his minutes to players who will be inexperienced but very talented. I'm talking about Watson, Timme, Ballo and Zhakarov. All four of these players are very talented, and all four are 4 Star players. That's a lot of talent.

I think the same thing can be said about Petrusev. He's an experienced player at Gonzaga, but has not been a steady contributor over the entire season. Questions arose about him that I'm not positive have been answered. It could have been about his toughness and rebounding and defense. If he hasn't made positive strides to overcome those problems than, once again, we have some very tough players just waiting to get playing time. The Zags will have 6 post players who are talented and are going to be going all out to get playing time. Gonzaga has NEVER been THIS DEEEP in the posts.

I think another really good question is, "what is going to separate these 4 very talented post players (Timme, Watson, Zhakarov and Ballo)? The answer, as I see it, has to be toughness shown on defensive skills, rebounding and being able to play team defense. They have all shown a desire to play defense. Zhakarov says he enjoys playing defense more than offense. Timme is described as a hard working player. It's reported that Watson can defend all five positions. And finally, Ballo is just seen as a monster rebounder and shot blocker. I'm not sure how this is going to be sorted out. It seems to be the opinion of fans here on GUBoards that one way to begin to solve it is to have Watson play the 3. If he can defend at that position this will certain begin to solve the problem of getting playing time for these Bigs.

I believe most of us fans feel pretty positive about the post players and what they will contribute to the team next season. However, there remains a pretty big question mark about the guards, and it could certainly be a problem for the team. I don't think we have ever Not had an experienced point guard leading the Zags. I would say the back-up point guard last year was Zach Norvell, and he will not be on the team next year. Joel Ayayi did play some, but he certainly was not what I'd call the back-up point guard. There has been much better thoughts about him so far, and his play in the FIBA Tournament does suggest that he may have matured and is ready for more playing and a more significant role on next season's team.

I think it's the general consensus that Gilder is going to be a very good player and will take the place of Norvell. And that is really big news. If Ayayi can not show that he can handle the back-up role at the 2, then I feel that either Watson or perhaps Kispert will come in to play that role.

This leaves perhaps the biggest question on the team, and perhaps the most important, "who is going to run this team?" It appears it will be Woolridge and Ravet. Neither of them have experience running Mark Few's offense, and that concerns me. Woolridge does have experience running an offense at the D1 level, and he's a senior, but unfortunately he has not run offenses against Elite College basketball teams like UNC, Michigan St, Oregon, Seton Hall and University of Washington. Ravet has no D1 experience at all, but absolutely does show he has very good offensive skills and can really shoot the 3 ball. He has loads of confidence so it will be neat watching this all unfold. I wonder if Watson can play the point? Or Gilder? Can Ayayi? These are all good questions.

It will be absolutely exciting to see how all of this plays out. Most likely we won't know who the top 8 players will be until our conference games start in late December. The early part of the season will be a time we'll probably see ten players get playing time. How they play during actual live game time will determine what their roles will be when conference games begin.

Go Zags!!!

"Playing Watson at the 2 is also a joke. I understand. People don't have anything better to do; so they post a blog, any blog about any insane idea and we HAVE to read it.......wow!!! "
Curious. How do you go from this quote of yours on June 19 berating another poster to now wondering if Watson can play the point?

I'd say the three. If Watson is running the point, the Zags are in trouble.

IowaSERE
07-24-2019, 05:43 AM

Zags seed is almost always +or- 1 of their loss total.

LTownZag
07-24-2019, 07:31 AM
"Playing Watson at the 2 is also a joke. I understand. People don't have anything better to do; so they post a blog, any blog about any insane idea and we HAVE to read it.......wow!!! "
Curious. How do you go from this quote of yours on June 19 berating another poster to now wondering if Watson can play the point?

Reborn makes a lot of interesting observations in that (and other) posts.

Tillie has never been a Zags starter? What about the whole 2018 season?

Zags Have never been lead by a freshman PG? What about the 2011 season (Pangos/Bell) or the 2015 season (Perkins)?

Norvell was last year's backup PG? That would be news to Crandall and to the stats showing number of minutes without either Josh or Geno on the floor and bringing the ball downcourt.

Gilder and/or Watson will play the 2, but Woolridge and/or Ravet will be PG and be tasked with "running the team"? Right...

EEzag
07-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Zags Have never been lead by a freshman PG? What about the 2011 season (Pangos/Bell) or the 2015 season (Perkins)?

Norvell was last year's backup PG? That would be news to Crandall and to the stats showing number of minutes without either Josh or Geno on the floor and bringing the ball downcourt.

Gilder and/or Watson will play the 2, but Woolridge and/or Ravet will be PG and be tasked with "running the team"? Right...

How does one associate a position with a player these days? As we play more position-less basketball, other than bringing the ball up the court, is there a stat that dictates position played? I'm actually curious. Could we have a point forward? Is that what Bouldin was? If you live on the block does that make you a center? Is it who you guard?

Reborn
07-25-2019, 08:49 AM
How does one associate a position with a player these days? As we play more position-less basketball, other than bringing the ball up the court, is there a stat that dictates position played? I'm actually curious. Could we have a point forward? Is that what Bouldin was? If you live on the block does that make you a center? Is it who you guard?

In general, rebounding is a stat that would be attributed to post players. Blocked shots would also be attributed to post players. I believe 2 point shooting percentage would indicate that the leaders in this category are low post players. Likewise the best 3 point shooters, in general, are guards. Assist leaders usually are also guards, and in particular point-guards. In general steals leaders are guards. The highest foul shooting % usually are guards.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I enjoyed thinking about this. Thanks for making me think this morning. It's a good way to wake up, along with my cup of coffee.

Reborn
07-25-2019, 09:04 AM

I would say that maybe sometimes I create a post like the one you quote because it's summer, and maybe there's not a lot to discuss on this forum; so maybe I want to wake up some fans, create a little irritation in some fans; maybe it was a hot day and I didn't have any Gatorade or diet Pepsi to drink. It's really not too absurd to read that post in a way that you can laugh and see the humor in it. If you knew me better, you know that I love to make people laugh. And in the same vein I love to laugh, and love to laugh at myself...like I did when reading YOUR post. Thanks for that.

Reborn
07-25-2019, 09:06 AM

I can be pretty funny sometimes, can't I. I hope you are laughing or giggling as much as I am. Thanks for making me smile and giggle a bit this morning when reading this post. I'm laughing at myself really. Not you. It is a pretty crazy post.

DixieZag
07-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Yeah for any major conference. We take that many losses in the WCC the committee will always hit us hard. It's unfortunate but that's reality.

I am with Abe on this one. If we have 4-5 losses this year, even with 2 in the WCC, that will equate to a top 10 team. We have quite the OOC schedule, one has to believe that SMC will be better this year, and with BYU's new coach, I expect a burst of energy out of them.

Throw into that 2 (possible) games with UNC, one with UW, one with UA, and some I am forgetting, 4-5 losses for a young team, that will likely get better each game it plays, we'd be just fine.

Last, other than maybe Michigan State, no one out there is rumored to be just monsters. College BB is weird that way, you can be REALLY good some years but also have 4-5 other REALLY good teams, and some years it's just a dog fight among 15 teams.

ZagRecruitWatch
07-25-2019, 11:15 AM
I am with Abe on this one. If we have 4-5 losses this year, even with 2 in the WCC, that will equate to a top 10 team. We have quite the OOC schedule, one has to believe that SMC will be better this year, and with BYU's new coach, I expect a burst of energy out of them.

Throw into that 2 (possible) games with UNC, one with UW, one with UA, and some I am forgetting, 4-5 losses for a young team, that will likely get better each game it plays, we'd be just fine.

Last, other than maybe Michigan State, no one out there is rumored to be just monsters. College BB is weird that way, you can be REALLY good some years but also have 4-5 other REALLY good teams, and some years it's just a dog fight among 15 teams.

It depends on how early or late we take the losses in WCC play. Polls and ranking voters have sort memories. Let me put it this way, we have never taken 2 or more conference losses and still have been in the top 10. Additionally, the highest seed we have ever received when taking that many losses is a 3 seed back in the 04-05 year. Historically when we lose 2-3 conference games the committee places us in the 7-11 seed range.

MDABE80
07-25-2019, 12:56 PM
Zag Recruit.........not exactly. Your basic facts are correct. BUT GU goes in almost no matter. We are playing a much more rigorous schedule this upcoming season. Also though, the WCC has 2-3 teams that likely will be tournament bound. SMC is one. There are few more. Translation is a much tougher league we live in AND a much tougher OOC. Dixie, on second thought, may be correct in that there no clear monster teams this year. (MSU maybe in my view). The point is that our OOC, although replete ( and for years I've spelled "replete" wrong) with good names of college with good programs, may not be so difficult.
But my thoughts on losses are not hinged to the tougher competition only. We just have a team that's big on D1 talent but short on D1 experience. Add those factors together and 4-5 losses isn't so far fetch while still being a top ten team.......especially toward the end of the season when every upset imaginable happens year in and year out.

I'm betting on at least 4 which is very good and is 88.5% of the schedule. Who wouldn't take that>? 3 months 1 week and we're on the court again. half of the offseason is now complete.

Bogozags
07-25-2019, 04:14 PM
It depends on how early or late we take the losses in WCC play. Polls and ranking voters have sort memories. Let me put it this way, we have never taken 2 or more conference losses and still have been in the top 10. Additionally, the highest seed we have ever received when taking that many losses is a 3 seed back in the 04-05 year. Historically when we lose 2-3 conference games the committee places us in the 7-11 seed range.

ZRW - For some reason I don't think we played such a challenging OOC schedule in 04-05...

If we lose 2-3 games that doesn't mean we will take a "BIG" hit as it depends to whom we lost those games...AND...if it's SMC or BYU or Pepp AND those schools do very well in the OOC, then those losses will not be as detrimental like they were in 04-05...

I know that RPI isn't the main matrix any more but imo we could have four teams in the "RPI's Top 50...barring injuries to the top four WCC teams (GU, SMC, BYU and Pepp).