PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back to Our Team Next Year

DixieZag
06-23-2019, 07:37 AM
I post the "BOLD" predictions thread only on the first week of college football, first week of classes at GU.

I just want a general place to talk about what we know we have for next year, what we know we don't have, strengths/weaknesses, all that.

We have wonderful threads on our NBA stars, and they're great. But I like just a general threat to get back to where we stand.

GoZags
06-23-2019, 07:49 AM
I post the "BOLD" predictions thread only on the first week of college football, first week of classes at GU.

I just want a general place to talk about what we know we have for next year, what we know we don't have, strengths/weaknesses, all that.

We have wonderful threads on our NBA stars, and they're great. But I like just a general threat to get back to where we stand.

It is my belief that a "what we know we don't have" will turn out to be a "man, can that guy play ... and I can't believe how much he helped the Zags in '19/'20"

gonzagafan62
06-23-2019, 08:28 AM
Still lacking at the PG position, need a backup to Ravet or a someone thatíll make Ravet first off the bench. Really not sold right now that what we have enough that can win a title, but it could land Us in final four if things break our way.

We have a deep assortment of bigs, and I feel like the 3 spot has been taken care of nicely, which isnít something Iíve really said too often.

I think Gilder is going to torch the competition - and while I feel heís going to be great - others are selling him short. I feel he may struggle early but become one of our biggest weapons near the end and into March.

This team possibly could have a low seed going into the big dance because we may not have a lot of big marquee wins but that doesnít mean we will have a bad team. With a young and inexperienced team we will lean on guys like Gilder and Tillie a lot. The young freshman will will light up the scoreboards with flashy dunks, and lots of showtime effects. I am worried this gets us in trouble at times, but itíll work out.

We are going to have a fun year. Iím Afraid of losing a few games early but the talent will show the grit of this team and we will rebound for a great March. Hopefully this can be a building block for a championship team in 2020-2021

CB4
06-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Wasn't there talk of strawther reclassifying?

soccerdud
06-23-2019, 09:30 AM
Wasn't there talk of strawther reclassifying?

no. none at all. he's young for his grade, already. the one i heard talk about is Daishen Nix, but that seems to have died down and i'm not even sure if we're still a factor in his recruitment.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-23-2019, 09:40 AM
It is my belief that a "what we know we don't have" will turn out to be a "man, can that guy play ... and I can't believe how much he helped the Zags in '19/'20"

GoZags -

Was Thornton the last potential grad transfer guard on the radar, or is there still one out there?

Do you think the existing roster is set? Is it deep enough?

GoZags
06-23-2019, 09:57 AM
GoZags -

Was Thornton the last potential grad transfer guard on the radar, or is there still one out there?

Do you think the existing roster is set? Is it deep enough?

No*. Yes*. No. Perhaps.
--------
* Am substituting "Guard that could help next year" for "last potential grad transfer guard"

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-23-2019, 10:47 AM
No*. Yes*. No. Perhaps.
--------
* Am substituting "Guard that could help next year" for "last potential grad transfer guard"

Thanks.

DixieZag
06-23-2019, 11:04 AM

That's fantastic. But, I have to know first what we don't have in order to anticipate the right guy, am I right? :)

Reborn
06-23-2019, 01:38 PM
what amazes me when it comes to our fanbase here on GUBoards is how little talk or discussion there is about Kispert. He was a starter last year and the 6th man his Freshman year. It's his time right now. Kispert could have a fantastic year. He can also be a leader. I think he is all about being a Zag first. I love his attitude. Very unselfish and a team player.

There is plenty of talent on this team. Who knows really what Few or Tommy are thinking about. I do know they're thinking and planning how to win. Yes Another championship or two. I am beginning to think that Ayayi is the dark horse right now. He could have a big role with the Zags next year.

Go Zags!!!

Markburn1
06-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Hard to say at this stage, even knowing who most of the players will be.

I'm looking at upper tier high/low action on the offensive end. We know Tillie is adept at this and from all indications Timme is a skilled passer as well. Who ends up with minutes at the point will probably not be asked to score at a really high level, but if Ravet and Gilder can provide penetration and a few threes, Few's offense won't take long to reach the efficiency we've all come to expect. I'm anticipating Kispert to step up a bit and become even more of an outside threat along with exploding to the rim like he did his freshman year at PK80 before he got hurt. If all that happens, the floor will be sufficiently spaced for Petrusev, Ayayi and Ballo to do their things. It will be interesting to see the growth for those three players.

On the defensive side of the ball, it looks a little sketchy from here. Gilder may be the best on ball defender and Tillie is a valuable help side rim protector. I'm hoping Timme is a solid paint defender because it seems like Ravet needs on ball work and Kispert, although progressing isn't there yet. The team will have to develop an amoeba like presence and high defensive court awareness to compensate for some less than desirable footspeed. Ayayi may help there.

What about Watson? This guy is legit. He could be a ready made star on both sides of the ball. I hope that's the case. If so, that changes nearly everything, especially defensively. He could be the key to a season that carries the Zags to heights that may seem unrealistic at this point.

I think what this all boils down to is that Gonzaga will be very good with the potential to be better than very good. If an experienced PG materializes and the coaching staff does their thing meshing the talented parts available, look out.

cggonzaga
06-23-2019, 01:53 PM
I think Gilder is going to torch the competition - and while I feel he’s going to be great - others are selling him short

Nobody is selling him short. He’ll be great but you predicted AA status. AA status is very hard to achieve and I don’t believe a grad transfer has ever achieved that feat.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-23-2019, 05:31 PM
Now that we know Zags have landed grad transfer Ryan Woolridge, the 2019-20 roster seems to be set and I am very excited about what the coaching staff has accomplished this offseason. This is far and away Zags’ best defensive backcourt ever.

Gilder @ 6’4”, Woolridge @ 6’3” is good sized backcourt, both are physically mature and athletic, both take pride in their D and by all accounts their defensive prowess is their greatest strength. Both are experienced veterans; both will start allowing Kispert to play his natural 3 spot. Kispert and Tillie obviously look to be Zags’ primary scoring options with offensive sets designed to get them shots. Really excited to see them embrace these well earned roles as both have paid their dues.

Key to this season will be for Zags to develop dependable 3rd and 4th scoring options and, of course, great team and post D to complement the defensive minded backcourt. Who will be the other double digit scorers: Gilder, Timme, Watson, Ravet...or maybe Ayayi breaks out this season...or Petrusev? A lot Tobe excited about and a LOT of opportunity for a youngster or late bloomer to ZagUp and shine this season.

zagsfanforlife
06-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Now that we know Zags have landed grad transfer Ryan Woolridge, the 2019-20 roster seems to be set and I am very excited about what the coaching staff has accomplished this offseason. This is far and away Zagsí best defensive backcourt ever.

Gilder @ 6í4Ē, Woolridge @ 6í3Ē is good sized backcourt, both are physically mature and athletic, both take pride in their D and by all accounts their defensive prowess is their greatest strength. Both are experienced veterans; both will start allowing Kispert to play his natural 3 spot. Kispert and Tillie obviously look to be Zagsí primary scoring options with offensive sets designed to get them shots. Really excited to see them embrace these well earned roles as both have paid their dues.

Key to this season will be for Zags to develop dependable 3rd and 4th scoring options and, of course, great team and post D to complement the defensive minded backcourt. Who will be the other double digit scorers: Gilder, Timme, Watson, Ravet...or maybe Ayayi breaks out this season...or Petrusev? A lot Tobe excited about and a LOT of opportunity for a youngster or late bloomer to ZagUp and shine this season.

Gilder will score 12-15 points per game. I don't worry about his scoring at all. Between him, Tillie, Timmie, Kispert, Petrusev, we should have scoring.

zagsfanforlife
06-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Ravet will score 12-15 points per game. I don't worry about his scoring at all. Between him, Tillie, Timmie, Kispert, Petrusev, we should have scoring.

We also have one more spot open.. not sure why we wouldn't fill that.

zag67
06-23-2019, 09:02 PM
i think we are going to be a lot stronger than it looked two months ago.

Look what we now have:
Returning starters Tillie and Kispert.
Then Ayayias a slasher and petrusev as a very solid big man with experience

New grad transfers at guard. Gilder and Woodbridge. Both solid defensive and well rounded

Freshmen
Ravet point guard that is solid offensively and needs work defensively

Then all of our incoming big men.

Look forward to a slow start but growing quickly

Reborn
06-23-2019, 10:44 PM
Gilder will score 12-15 points per game. I don't worry about his scoring at all. Between him, Tillie, Timmie, Kispert, Petrusev, we should have scoring.

Why do you continue to leave out Ravet? Believe me. This kid will score.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
06-23-2019, 10:51 PM
He could be the key to a season that carries the Zags to heights that may seem unrealistic at this point.

I think what this all boils down to is that Gonzaga will be very good with the potential to be better than very good. If an experienced PG materializes and the coaching staff does their thing meshing the talented parts available, look out.

What are the unrealistic heights?

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-24-2019, 03:19 AM
Happened to check out which Duke game was being replayed on dukESPN yesterday afternoon and log and discovered it was the Maui Championship game. Recorded it and watched last night. Petrusev looked great and totally comfortable on the big stage. His decreased playing time over course of season was, I assume, due to defensive limitations, poor rebounding and if I recall correctly a case of slippery hands that increased as his pt and confidence decreased.

Looking forward to seeing how he does for Serbia in U-19 tourney this summer. He was a stud for them last summer and an encore performance + one season of D1 hoops under his belt may serve to get his mojo back...that and added muscle + determination to earn the Zags’ starting 5 spot by playing great D, and rebounding like his role on this year’s team depends on it.

DixieZag
06-24-2019, 06:02 AM
Happened to check out which Duke game was being replayed on dukESPN yesterday afternoon and log and discovered it was the Maui Championship game. Recorded it and watched last night. Petrusev looked great and totally comfortable on the big stage. His decreased playing time over course of season was, I assume, due to defensive limitations, poor rebounding and if I recall correctly a case of slippery hands that increased as his pt and confidence decreased.

Looking forward to seeing how he does for Serbia in U-19 tourney this summer. He was a stud for them last summer and an encore performance + one season of D1 hoops under his belt may serve to get his mojo back...that and added muscle + determination to earn the Zags’ starting 5 spot by playing great D, and rebounding like his role on this year’s team depends on it.

This was one of the mysteries to me last year and one I sure hope doesn't carry over to this year. That young man was critical to our win over Duke. That alone should have ensured serious playing time throughout the year bc staying patient with him seems to me like it would have allowed us to win some games we didn't

That's in the past now. I hope he is utilized this year as a kind of mentor to the new guys coming in, he went through it all last year and he is well-positioned to give them a heads-up on what's going onl

Markburn1
06-24-2019, 08:31 AM
What are the unrealistic heights?
Sorry Reborn. Not gonna bite. Any answer I give will be unsatisfactory to you.

Looking forward to the season.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2019, 10:08 AM
I’m curious. Where do you see him improving? You cite his personal traits and I agree they’re Considerable.

what amazes me when it comes to our fanbase here on GUBoards is how little talk or discussion there is about Kispert. He was a starter last year and the 6th man his Freshman year. It's his time right now. Kispert could have a fantastic year. He can also be a leader. I think he is all about being a Zag first. I love his attitude. Very unselfish and a team player.

There is plenty of talent on this team. Who knows really what Few or Tommy are thinking about. I do know they're thinking and planning how to win. Yes Another championship or two. I am beginning to think that Ayayi is the dark horse right now. He could have a big role with the Zags next year.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
06-24-2019, 10:20 AM
I think the team is coming together nicely. The missing pieces are being filled now, and it looks really good to me. We finally have the two point guards that are necessary to running Gonzaga's offense effectively. I also believe that Few has got the pieces that will make this a really great team, and one to remember. There is one more scholarship, and it will be interesting to see if Few recruits one more player, and if he does who will that be?

In many ways this is going to be one of the most exciting teams to follow that Gonzaga has had in many years. There are so many new faces, new players, and that's really going to make it exciting. Tillie is the key. If he can stay healthy he could become another All-American at Gonzaga. He really could have the monster year that he is capable of having. I would love to see that happen. He really deserves to have an injury free season. I will be praying for that. I also believe that Kispert is going to have a great year. I've always really like him, and believe he can beccome a much better scorer if Few needs him to be one. I love his attitude, and he is going to become a leader of this team. He is all about being a Zag. I agree with those who believe Petrusive will play a much, much bigger role on this team. He has the tools to be a very good scorer. His experience last year will really come in handy next season.

So once again, the team will be led offensively by post players. Two really good starters and two really good subs. Take your pick when it comes to really good subs: Watson, Timme, Ballo and a couple of others. The guards have been the question mark so far, and rightly so. We haven't been this inexperienced at the guard position since Pangos and Bell. And those two guys turned out to be pretty darn good that year. I believe that we have the guards who will handle their duties really well. We have great passers, and penetraters. We have a kid who can really shoot the 3-ball like Pangos could. We have another terrific 3 point shooter in Kispert. We have two very experienced guards now in Gilder and Woolridge. These two are NOT freshmen. They both have very good experience at the D-1 level. They are both described as very good defenders and that's really good.

And most important we have Mark Few, Tommy Lloyd and his other assistants who together make up one of the best coaching staffs in the country. And to me this is the MOST IMPORTANT factor. It's going to be so cool to see what they can do with this group.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
06-24-2019, 10:28 AM
I’m curious. Where do you see him improving? You cite his personal traits and I agree they’re Considerable.

Thanks for the question, Jazz. I base my judgement on a couple of things. First, I believe that for many players, and especially those who stay in college for four years, the biggest jump in their play happens when going into their Junior year. Players like Kispert, have a lot of talent, but for the first couple of years have been role players. But it seems obvious to me that the Zags will need players who can score, and I think Kispert can do that when he's needed. I think if he's given a larger role offensively that he'll show he can do that, and his scoring will improve. He will be able to score in double figures in my opinion. I also believe he has improved a lot in his defense.

Second, he had some really good games, and the one that sticks out the most to me was against Duke. He hit some big shots, and played some really good helping defense. I believe Kispert has worked really hard on defense, and his footwork and positioning are vastly improved. And finally, he is not only a very good 3 point shooter, but attacks the basket really well. His role on last years team was to attack the basket more off the dribble and I think Few's insistence of him doing that, has really helped Kispert create a much better offensive game. My prediction is that he will average 12+ points a game next year.

Just my humble opinion.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
06-24-2019, 12:53 PM
Dix, let’s back into it another way. It’s clear that a team’s late NCAA success — elite 8, final 4 — hinges on how many pros it has. Last year was instructive, as was ‘17. So, other than Tils, who’s iffy as this point, who are the pros on the roster? If there are any, they’re bigs. But who?

JPtheBeasta
06-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Timme and Watson are projected 2nd round by 247. That's a good start, considering what Gonzaga does for bigs. Pavel Zhakarov is projected as a first rounder by the same resource.

IowaSERE
06-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Timme and Watson are porjected 2nd round by 247. That's a good start, considering what Gonzaga does for bigs. Pavel Zhakarov is projected as a first rounder by the same resource.

I've actually seen Ayayi listed as well.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2019, 01:27 PM
I've actually seen Ayayi listed as well.

Where? In L’ Equipe?

MDABE80
06-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Be nice (er). He'll be an important part this year. (fingers crossed behind back)...

Zagdawg
06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
New target jazz?....I figured you would continue to go after Ravet.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2019, 03:08 PM
New target jazz?....I figured you would continue to go after Ravet.

I’m liking Ravet a lot.

Reborn
06-24-2019, 05:29 PM
I’m liking Ravet a lot.

Ha ha ha h a ha hahah ha ha h ah hah a You really crack me up Jazz! Good one! hahahaha

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
06-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Ha ha ha h a ha hahah ha ha h ah hah a You really crack me up Jazz! Good one! hahahaha

Go Zags!!!

No, Bornie, it’s true. I’ve gone 180 degrees on the kid. My kind of player. Every tough Catholic college team in the country had two Ravets in the backcourt back in the 60s and 70s. Ask Maynard. And he won’t bail.

229SintoZag
06-24-2019, 06:06 PM
No, Bornie, itís true. Iíve gone 180 degrees on the kid. My kind of player. Every tough Catholic college team in the country had two Ravets in the backcourt back in the 60s and 70s. Ask Maynard. And he wonít bail.

I swear Texas Tech has one or two who couldn't seem to miss in the elite 8 as well. But my memory is foggy from that traumatic experience.

MDABE80
06-24-2019, 06:18 PM
I agree. Ravet is a kid nobody should sleep on. Defense needs work but he could be A 20 ppg kid easily.

jazzdelmar
06-24-2019, 06:20 PM
I agree. Ravet is a kid nobody should sleep on. Defense needs work but he could be A 20 ppg kid easily.

DD didn’t do D. Worked out ok.

gonstu
06-24-2019, 10:13 PM
DD didn’t do D. Worked out ok.

Wyoming ;)

soccerdud
06-25-2019, 09:39 AM
Wyoming ;)

whatcha gotta go and do that for?

jazzdelmar
06-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Wyoming ;)

That game, DD didn’t do O either.

bartruff1
06-25-2019, 12:26 PM
No, Bornie, itís true. Iíve gone 180 degrees on the kid. My kind of player. Every tough Catholic college team in the country had two Ravets in the backcourt back in the 60s and 70s. Ask Maynard. And he wonít bail.

I have come 360 degrees on Brock....I have the same expectation for him that I had for Wade and essentially for the same reasons.....I was right about Wade and I hope I am wrong about RavetÖ.

I am not posting this to spark a ping pong posting argument and so I will not respond to those that have a different opinion. I have read and considered all the positive opinions during my circular reasoning.......fine...I hope you are right....

The proof as always will be in the pudding....

Bogozags
06-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Timme and Watson are projected 2nd round by 247. That's a good start, considering what Gonzaga does for bigs. Pavel Zhakarov is projected as a first rounder by the same resource.

Ballo, who will be 17 I believe next month, will be too young for the draft; however, with kids going overseas to play and get paid, he could consider that option down the road...the kid is just so talented and yes young but his potential is off the charts...baby Shaq maybe not but his technique on the box is pretty darn good for someone that would be a "rising senior" in HS...

JPtheBeasta
06-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Ballo, who will be 17 I believe next month, will be too young for the draft; however, with kids going overseas to play and get paid, he could consider that option down the road...the kid is just so talented and yes young but his potential is off the charts...baby Shaq maybe not but his technique on the box is pretty darn good for someone that would be a "rising senior" in HS...

I am really looking forward to seeing him play.

maynard g krebs
06-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Wyoming ;)

Lots of reasons for Wyoming. I was there. The day before the game, I played pickup at the Albuquerque Y, and was out of breath in about 5 minutes. I'd been playing 3x a week for a couple hours around Seattle. That's when I knew the Zags would have a hard time playing a team that lives at 7000 ft. Throw in the fact that the local crowd was 100% for a very good, and underseeded Wyoming team, and everything was there for the disaster.

maynard g krebs
06-25-2019, 06:53 PM
No, Bornie, it’s true. I’ve gone 180 degrees on the kid. My kind of player. Every tough Catholic college team in the country had two Ravets in the backcourt back in the 60s and 70s. Ask Maynard. And he won’t bail.

Good to hear:) And yes, a 4 year player whose dream is to be a Zag. The value of that can't be overstated in this sometimes depressing age.