PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Ranking college basketball's underappreciated coaches

Bogozags
06-08-2019, 02:36 AM
Coaches who are underappreciated because they've won so often their success is taken for granted (The John Calipari category)

"10. Mark Few: Gonzaga has an international pipeline. Players come from all over the world to compete in Spokane, Washington, for Few's program. Few's excellence has been well-documented over his nearly 20 years at Gonzaga. But the cultural elements of his program are often understated. He's not just dealing with athletes from different backgrounds, he's trying to coordinate a group of players who must adapt to cultural norms in a new country. Rui Hachimura, a projected lottery pick in this summer's NBA draft, couldn't speak English when he first arrived in 2016 and struggled to understand the playbook as a result. That's not a hurdle most coaches encounter. The Gonzaga model is proven. But Few's perennial win-loss magic is even more notable when you realize the other elements his job demands."

Coaches who are underappreciated because they've never won titles (The John Beilein/Gregg Marshall category)

"5. Randy Bennett: Bennett has been the "other guy" in his league for nearly 20 years. Without Gonzaga's shadow, Bennett's work at Saint Mary's would draw more national hype. The Gaels are the only reason Gonzaga hasn't won every West Coast Conference title since 2001. Saint Mary's broke up the streak by winning the crown outright in 2012. Patty Mills and Matthew Dellavedova, former Saint Mary's standouts under Bennett, won NBA titles in 2014 and 2016, respectively. Bennett has won 25 or more games in nine of the past 12 seasons. He also has seven NCAA tournament appearances in a league where games against Gonzaga consistently supply the only opportunity for a signature victory."

Found this and thought you'd find it an interesting read...

KStyles
06-08-2019, 05:25 AM
Link to full article: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26902747/ranking-college-basketball-underappreciated-coaches

kitzbuel
06-08-2019, 07:32 AM
Link to full article: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26902747/ranking-college-basketball-underappreciated-coaches

Thanks for the link!

whatazag
06-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Pretty interesting. A couple years ago Few would have been listed in the other category. Some evidence that the perception of GU has changed in the NCAAB world.

zagzilla
06-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Kind of a strange article because one way or another it lists almost every major coach out there. In other words, if you made a list of coaches who are appreciated "appropriately" (whatever that means), who would be on that list?

Coach K
Roy Williams
Tony Bennett
Izzo

Who else is appreciated at a level commensurate with their "success" or program profile? Sean Miller? LOL

ZZ

bartruff1
06-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Bill Self....Jay Wright....when they were there...Billy Donovan....Brad Stevens...

zagzilla
06-11-2019, 08:36 AM
That's my point...Bill Self and Jay Wright are on the "under appreciated" list along with Few.

Donovan and Stevens are out of NCAA and coaching in the Association now.

Who is left that the author didn't mention on his list of 30 coaches that are under appreciated by on measure or another? I suppose the middle of the road coaches with middling reputations....Romar, Miller, Altman, Kent?

maynard g krebs
06-11-2019, 10:05 AM
I suppose the middle of the road coaches with middling reputations....Romar, Miller, Altman, Kent?

LOL. Is this one of those "which one of these doesn't belong w/ the other 3" multiple choice questions?

Hint: one of the above has a 13-6 NCAA tourney record since 2013, with a final 4, an elite 8, and two sweet sixteens as a 12 seed, after taking over a program that was in the cellar when he was hired, and has no history as a basketball power. Oh, and 645 career wins. Basically a guaranteed hall of famer.

seacatfan
06-11-2019, 10:27 AM
LOL. Is this one of those "which one of these doesn't belong w/ the other 3" multiple choice questions?

Hint: one of the above has a 13-6 NCAA tourney record since 2013, with a final 4, an elite 8, and two sweet sixteens, after taking over a program that was in the cellar when he was hired

Honestly 2 of them don't belong w/ the other 2. Obviously I know which one you are referring to. The other has won the regular season conference crown about 50% of the time he's been at his school, has a number of 30+ win seasons and 3 Elite 8's at his current school (1 other previously).

The other 2 coaches have quite a few seasons with losing records.

Here's the career winning % for the 4 coaches in random order--.575, .655, .522 and .738. Somehow I don't think the guy w/ the best winning % is the worst of the 4 coaches. He also has more than twice as many 30+ win seasons as the other 3 coaches combined. So...

maynard g krebs
06-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Honestly 2 of them don't belong w/ the other 2. Obviously I know which one you are referring to. The other has won the regular season conference crown about 50% of the time he's been at his school, has a number of 30+ win seasons and 3 Elite 8's at his current school (1 other previously).

The other 2 coaches have quite a few seasons with losing records.

Here's the career winning % for the 4 coaches in random order--.575, .655, .522 and .738. Somehow I don't think the guy w/ the best winning % is the worst of the 4 coaches. He also has more than twice as many 30+ win seasons as the other 3 coaches combined. So...

You're right, of course. Subjectively, I would say that Altman has done more with less in the pac, taking over a lower echelon program while Miller took over the league's top job; it's a much better position to recruit from. But yes, I should have said that two don't belong w/ the other two.

BTW I didn't say Miller was the worst of the 4 anywhere in my post.

seacatfan
06-11-2019, 10:48 AM
BTW I didn't say Miller was the worst of the 4 anywhere in my post.

Sorry, didn't mean to infer you did. That was more of a general response on my part because lately Miller seems to have achieved Romar status in the eyes of some GU fans.

bartruff1
06-11-2019, 12:32 PM
That's my point...Bill Self and Jay Wright are on the "under appreciated" list along with Few.

Donovan and Stevens are out of NCAA and coaching in the Association now.

Who is left that the author didn't mention on his list of 30 coaches that are under appreciated by on measure or another? I suppose the middle of the road coaches with middling reputations....Romar, Miller, Altman, Kent?

I didn't read the link...all these lists are clickbait imo…..something to argue about....

bballbeachbum
06-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Bill Self....Jay Wright....when they were there...Billy Donovan....Brad Stevens...

re. Stevens and the NBA, he's so appreciated that when his team tanks and sucks, it's Kyrie Irving's fault