PDA

View Full Version : Perkins Named WCC Mike Gilleran Scholar-Athlete of the Year

TerpZag
06-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Perkins Named WCC Mike Gilleran Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Former Zags standout receives conference’s top academic honor

SAN BRUNO, Calif. – Gonzaga's Josh Perkins was named the 2019 West Coast Conference Mike Gilleran male Scholar-Athlete of the Year, announced at the 10th annual WCC Honors Dinner.

The Mike Gilleran Scholar-Athlete of the Year is selected by a vote of the WCC's Executive Council to recognize the finest accomplishments in athletics, academics and community service by individuals who have completed their collegiate eligibility. The award is named in honor of the conference's first full-time commissioner, Mike Gilleran.

Perkins completed his degree in Sport Management and is wrapping up his master's degree in Organizational Leadership. He finished his undergraduate career with an impressive 3.24 GPA and currently holds a 3.66 GPA in his graduate program. In each of the last two years, the Park Hill, Colo., native has received West Coast Conference All-Academic team recognition. He also earned his way onto the WCC Commissioner's Honor roll list the past three years. Perkins was also selected to the Division I-AAA ADA Men's Scholar Athlete Team for the second straight season in 2018-19. He was tabbed Senior CLASS Award Second Team All-American as well, for his contributions on the court, in the classroom and in the community.

Perkins finished his illustrious career second in NCAA Div. I history with 134 wins, with only 19 losses. He played more games (153) than any other active player in the nation this season, and was one of only 15 players in NCAA Div. I history to play 150 games in a career.

Perkins became Gonzaga's all-time assist leader with 712 in his five-year stint. His 712 assists rank fifth in West Coast Conference history. The redshirt senior's 234 assists in 2018-19 are the most in a single season in program history, while his 54 steals rank eighth. He is second all-time at GU with 178 steals in his career, fifth with 251 made three-pointers and 12th with 1,562 points. This season, Perkins was seventh in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.12), eighth with 234 assists and 16th averaging 6.3 assists per game. He led the WCC this season in total steals and assist-to-turnover ratio.

Perkins was a Bob Cousy Award Finalist for the top point guard in the country. He was tabbed All-West Coast Conference First Team for the second time and was named WCC Player of the Week twice this season.

Perkins is the 11th Zag to receive the prestigious award. Nigel Williams-Goss was the last GU student-athlete to receive the honor in 2017.

Gonzaga Article Link (https://gozags.com/news/2019/6/5/mens-basketball-perkins-named-wcc-mike-gilleran-scholar-athlete-of-the-year.aspx)

sittingon50
06-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Exclamation point on a very fine career. Congratulations Josh.

webspinnre
06-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Congratulations to Josh!

ZagNative
06-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Wow. Impressive!

Kiddwell
06-05-2019, 09:25 PM
...in all-time wins in NCAA D1, and Shem is first, right? That is cool. Gonzaga Basketball, wow!

Josh :adored: Josh

:]

ZagaZags
06-05-2019, 09:41 PM
So proud of this young man. We are going to really miss this one. Best of luck to you Josh Perkins. You will always be one of my favorites. :cheers:

Zaglaw
06-06-2019, 06:22 AM
So proud of this young man. We are going to really miss this one. Best of luck to you Josh Perkins. You will always be one of my favorites. :cheers:

+1 A truly great Zag!

cjm720
06-06-2019, 06:51 AM
So cool. Congrats Josh!!

bballbeachbum
06-06-2019, 07:08 AM

+1 :cheers:

amaronizag
06-06-2019, 07:10 AM
High Honors. Once a Zag, always a Zag, and Josh is a great one for sure. I have a feeling Josh will be back to Spokane on many occasions and I look forward to seeing him in the future. He is not done making contributions to this program.