PDA

View Full Version : Watch List for top Julius Erving Award candidates -- Kispert on the list

Zagdawg
06-05-2019, 06:34 AM
NCAA March Madness

Verified account

@marchmadness
10m10 minutes ago
More
Top #ErvingAward Candidates from @TheAndyKatz:

1. Jordan Nwora
2. Yoeli Childs
3. Josh Langford
4. Naji Marshall
5. Tres Tinkle
6. Scottie Lewis
7. Anthony Lamb
8. Corey Kispert
9. Nojel Eastern
10. Rex Pflueger
11. Xavier Sneed

"8. Corey Kispert, Jr., Gonzaga: The Zags ultimate glue guy will now have a more featured role. Kispert will expand his game and deliver with more shot opportunities."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-06-05/jordan-nwora-tops-11-favorites-2019-20-julius-erving-award

Reborn
06-05-2019, 07:54 AM
This is really cool, and I have felt that Corey will have a much expanded role on offense this year. It's his time. Being patient and waiting for his time will pay off handsomely for Corey. It's important to remember that he was ahead of Norvell as a freshman and was a starter before he got injured. With Corey and Tillie in the starting lineup Gonzaga will have a very strong foundation to build another championship team. Tillie will stay healthy this year. Keep positive thoughts flowing fans.

Go Zags!!!

sittingon50
06-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Good for Corey.

Hope he's in the hunt.

Zagceo
06-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Good for Corey.

Hope he's in the hunt.

+1

GoZags
06-05-2019, 10:19 AM
I wonder whatever happened to that guy that won it last year.

https://wccsports.com/news/2019/4/13/mens-basketball-gonzagas-hachimura-wins-julius-erving-award.aspx

Kiddwell
06-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Two West Coasters (Kispert, Childs); one PACman (OSU's Tinkle, who can really dribble.) :p

:]

LTownZag
06-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Does anyone else think that what we've seen from CK the last couple years is what we are going to see the next couple years?

I'm not in any way rooting against him and I suspect he's a great guy and great teammate , but his stats thus far have been remarkably similar to those of Kyle Dranginis, who played the 3 recently for GU with very similar height, weight, rebounding, shooting percentage, etc.

GoZags
06-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Does anyone else think that what we've seen from CK the last couple years is what we are going to see the next couple years?

I'm not in any way rooting against him and I suspect he's a great guy and great teammate , but his stats thus far have been remarkably similar to those of Kyle Dranginis, who played the 3 recently for GU with very similar height, weight, rebounding, shooting percentage, etc.

Curious as to your thoughts about Kelly Olynyk after his sophomore season. Or Dan Dickau after his sophomore season at Washington.

As I reported here at the time, I was in the car with Corey’s AAU (FOH) coach while he was on the phone with an iconic college coach (ACC) during recruiting. This is almost verbatim as to what was said.

“I’ll say the same thing that I said to you about Joe Harris. He will be with you four years. His Junior and Senior Year’s he will be All Conference. And he will make somebody’s All American team.”

So you can take your Kyle Dranginis (who was a GREAT Zag btw) example of Kispert’s upside and I will take Joe Harris (who Corey’s coach also had)

I believe Corey Kispert has earned his place on the Julius Erving watch list. And perhaps this ties to Tommy’s mantra that folks only know about 5 percent of what’s going on ... but despite Kispert’s Final list of Virginia, Notre Dame and Gonzaga ... he could have gone anywhere in the country out of high school. Anywhere (at least according to his AAU coach).

Vanzagger
06-05-2019, 11:54 AM
A long time ago I said give me 3 Dranginis and a couple bangers. No one put team before self more than Melson & Dranginis.

Their first year together....Coach’s 1st Elite Eight

Kyle’s Senior year, after destroying Seton Hall and Utah, Cuse slips off the hook a foot from the boat

Stats are fun. Team basketball and getting stops in March and April are better

Vanzagger
06-05-2019, 11:57 AM
Team b-ball and getting stops in Post Season is all Tony B cares about as well

maynard g krebs
06-05-2019, 12:22 PM

I think it's instructive to look at the first 6 games of Kispert's fr year before the ankle sprain, including Fla, OSU, and I think Texas(?) at the Knight tourney in Ptld. In his first 6 games as a true fr, Kispert played 30 mpg, averaged 11.3 ppg, making 10/25 3 pointers for 40%, and 15/20 twos (75%) for an overall 56% fg's, and effective fg% of 67%. After the injury and loss of starting role, his minutes were greatly reduced.

As a soph, he was the fifth option with limited offensive opportunities, and it's really hard to get in an offensive rhythm in that role, as any player can tell you.

Dranginis, as a rs freshman, played 13 minutes per game his first 6 against a fairly comparable, maybe slightly weaker, sched, and was 6/17 from the field and 3/8 on 3's, averaging 2.7 ppg.

Also, Kispert is an inch taller, probably 20 lbs heavier and more of a forward imo, while Dranginis is a combo guard with some point skills.

I expect Kispert to take on an expanded role next season and be maybe the second leading scorer next season behind a healthy (fingers crossed) Tillie.

TexasZagFan
06-05-2019, 12:36 PM
I wonder whatever happened to that guy that won it last year.

https://wccsports.com/news/2019/4/13/mens-basketball-gonzagas-hachimura-wins-julius-erving-award.aspx

You mean this guy (and I don't mean Big D)?

https://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1800%202_zpspeqr18rb.jpg (https://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1800%202_zpspeqr18rb.jpg.html)

I found it remarkable that Rui was awarded "Small Forward of the Year" while playing very few minutes at the 3. He and Brandon were basically a two headed monster at the 4 and 5. He will be a very productive small forward, no matter which team drafts him.

I also expect Rui to be one of the top earners in endorsements, thanks to the deep pockets of Japanese fans who know Rui very well.

TexasZagFan
06-05-2019, 12:39 PM

For the past two years, Corey's been the 4th or 5th option on offense for the Zags. He's a great teammate who does the things the coaching staff asks. IMO, he made great strides on defense last year, his offensive game was always there, but it was lurking behind Rui, Brandon, Snacks, and Josh. It's his turn in the limelight.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Corey Kispert is an old school college baller....play your role, team first, work your a** off then take advantage of your opportunity to shine bright as an upperclassmen. Looking forward to seeing him have a featured role offensively. I think CK will rise to the occasion. Still remember his first bucket as a Zag; offensive rebound put back dunk. Dude is a stud.

LTownZag
06-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Curious as to your thoughts about Kelly Olynyk after his sophomore season. Or Dan Dickau after his sophomore season at Washington.

As I reported here at the time, I was in the car with Corey’s AAU (FOH) coach while he was on the phone with an iconic college coach (ACC) during recruiting. This is almost verbatim as to what was said.

“I’ll say the same thing that I said to you about Joe Harris. He will be with you four years. His Junior and Senior Year’s he will be All Conference. And he will make somebody’s All American team.”

So you can take your Kyle Dranginis (who was a GREAT Zag btw) example of Kispert’s upside and I will take Joe Harris (who Corey’s coach also had)

I believe Corey Kispert has earned his place on the Julius Erving watch list. And perhaps this ties to Tommy’s mantra that folks only know about 5 percent of what’s going on ... but despite Kispert’s Final list of Virginia, Notre Dame and Gonzaga ... he could have gone anywhere in the country out of high school. Anywhere (at least according to his AAU coach).

I have no thoughts on Dickau or Olynyk's college transitions. I wasn't a Zag fan or basketball fan then.

I'm also not surprised that CK's high school coach thought highly of him. He would be highly motivated and biased to do so and CK seems like a highly likable and coachable guy. I think CK's a solid D1 college player, and was for a year or two probably the best player on his AAU team and probably one of the best players that his high school coach had ever coached.

I expect that at the end of next season he won't be in serious consideration for this award and will not have significantly different stats from his first 2 seasons, apart from 25-30% more shot attempts, boards, and TOs, in more minutes played.

We'll know the answer in 9 months.

For those who expect he'll contend for this award for make a big leap for next year - does anyone care to suggest any of CK's per-40 totals for next season? (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/corey-kispert-1.html)

amaronizag
06-05-2019, 02:57 PM
I'm guessing Cory will start. Due to the talent we have coming in, I'd guess he'll get about 20+ minutes a game as he has when playing healthy. His career numbers are FG% 460, 3% 351, FT% 667 and about 4 rebounds per game. He doesn't draw many fouls but I would hope he puts up a few more shots and averages 10-12 points per game. That would be solid.

willandi
06-05-2019, 05:39 PM
I have no thoughts on Dickau or Olynyk's college transitions. I wasn't a Zag fan or basketball fan then.

I'm also not surprised that CK's high school coach thought highly of him. He would be highly motivated and biased to do so and CK seems like a highly likable and coachable guy. I think CK's a solid D1 college player, and was for a year or two probably the best player on his AAU team and probably one of the best players that his high school coach had ever coached.

I expect that at the end of next season he won't be in serious consideration for this award and will not have significantly different stats from his first 2 seasons, apart from 25-30% more shot attempts, boards, and TOs, in more minutes played.

For those who expect he'll contend for this award for make a big leap for next year - does anyone care to suggest any of CK's per-40 totals for next season? (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/corey-kispert-1.html)

My guess would be 30 min/game, 15+ pts, 7 boards and 3 assists.

He will pick up the slack from losing Josh and Zach, both on shot attempts and assists.

soccerdud
06-05-2019, 06:05 PM
My guess would be 30 min/game, 15+ pts, 7 boards and 3 assists.

He will pick up the slack from losing Josh and Zach, both on shot attempts and assists.

worth noting, complete list of zags to average 15+ ppg since '10:
kelly o. ('12-'13)
wiltjer ('14-'15 and '15-'16)
domas ('15-'16)
nwg ('16-'17)
rui ('17-'18)
bc ('17-'18)

in 4 of the 9 seasons no player on the team averaged 15+... and those that did were ball dominant and -- with the exception of wiltjer -- left early for the nba.

we regularly have 4 guys averaging ~10-14 ppg, tho. the safe bet is him landing in that range.

willandi
06-05-2019, 06:26 PM
worth noting, complete list of zags to average 15+ ppg since '10:
kelly o. ('12-'13)
wiltjer ('14-'15 and '15-'16)
domas ('15-'16)
nwg ('16-'17)
rui ('17-'18)
bc ('17-'18)

in 4 of the 9 seasons no player on the team averaged 15+... and those that did were ball dominant and -- with the exception of wiltjer -- left early for the nba.

we regularly have 4 guys averaging ~10-14 ppg, tho. the safe bet is him landing in that range.

Worth noting, in all those years the Zags had several players coming back and players coming off of redshirt years.

Also worth noting. Until Kispert hurt his ankle, he was the coaching staff's choice over Norvell, and wasn't Zach coming off his own redshirt?

The scoring has to come from somewhere. I think Corey will be a big part of it.

You are welcome to post what YOU think he will do. I would gladly see it and, at the end of the year, we can see where the chips fell.

amaronizag
06-05-2019, 06:32 PM
I agree Will. Once the roster is full, we can all make our predictions. Lots of fun to compare preseason stat predictions and see how it all played out at the end of the year.

GoZags
06-05-2019, 07:21 PM

You mentioned Corey's High School coach a couple of times. I'm not sure why and I have no idea what his h.s. coach had to say about him.

I thought I was clear that it was his AAU coach (even named the team ... "FOH" "Friends of Hoops"). Corey is the first FOH kid to come to Gonzaga straight out of high school. McDonald's All American Micah Downs transferred to Gonzaga after beginning his career at Kansas.

As for being the best on his AAU team .... here's a link naming the FOH alumni . https://www.fohseattle.com/alumni/. His AAU coach (my friend/colleague) was used to talking to coaches about his kids ... and it'd be shocking if he ever "hyped" a guy over and above stating his talents/demeanor, etc. In actuality he is the exact opposite of somebody "highly motivated and biased".

I'll list a few of Corey's fellow FOH alumni (i.e. his peers). I know you weren't following basketball way back in the "Olynyk" GU era .... but these guys are recognizable names in the game of basketball.

Former Friends of Hoops players -

Martell Webster - 6th pick in the NBA draft
Jamal Crawford - 8th pick in the NBA draft
Spencer Hawes - 10th pick in the NBA draft
Zach LaVine - 13th pick in the NBA draft and former Zag recruit
Nate Robinson - 21st pick in the NBA draft
Joe Harris - 33rd pick in the NBA draft
Isaiah Thomas - multi year NBA All Star
Jon Brockman - multi year All Pac 12 -- multi year NBA and former Zag recruit

Again ... here's what the guy (Kispert's AAU coach) had to say to the h.c. of one of college basketball's Top 3-5 programs ...

“I’ll say the same thing that I said to you about Joe Harris. He will be with you four years. His Junior and Senior Year’s he will be All Conference. And he will make somebody’s All American team.”.

soccerdud
06-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Worth noting, in all those years the Zags had several players coming back and players coming off of redshirt years.

Also worth noting. Until Kispert hurt his ankle, he was the coaching staff's choice over Norvell, and wasn't Zach coming off his own redshirt?

The scoring has to come from somewhere. I think Corey will be a big part of it.

You are welcome to post what YOU think he will do. I would gladly see it and, at the end of the year, we can see where the chips fell.

i did. 10-14 ppg.

but yeah, obviously it's your prediction and you can make it based on whatever you like. i thought some context might be useful for exactly how big (and rare) 15+ ppg really is, because numbers tend to get (imo too) casually thrown around in discussions like this.

if you think his role/aggressiveness/effectiveness is more likely to be like Rui's this season, than previous comparables like Norvell(e), Mathews, Wesley, etc... that's just fine. of course I'll be happy to revisit this later. :)

willandi
06-05-2019, 07:54 PM
i did. 10-14 ppg.

but yeah, obviously it's your prediction and you can make it based on whatever you like. i thought some context might be useful for exactly how big (and rare) 15+ ppg really is, because numbers tend to get (imo too) casually thrown around in discussions like this.

if you think his role/aggressiveness/effectiveness is more likely to be like Rui's this season, than previous comparables like Norvell(e), Mathews, Wesley, etc... that's just fine. of course I'll be happy to revisit this later. :)

You STILL haven't made your 'guess'!

Please. Rather than just tell me I'm wrong, put some skin out there, and no, saying a bunch of guys at 10-14 isn't there.

soccerdud
06-05-2019, 07:58 PM
You STILL have made your 'guess'!

Please. Rather than just tell me I'm wrong, put some skin out there.

uh, are you looking for minutes/rebounds/assists? i think he's a little below 30 mpg, just because of how deep and balanced i think we'll be, and the fact that i don't see him playing much at the 2... but he starts and is a top 2-3 option in the offense. i think he'll do what we ask him to in terms of rebounds and assists, and that'll likely depend a lot on lineups. i don't think i can make a useful guess on those. anything else?

and, just ftr, the ppg is the only thing i feel confident enough about to have posted it without prodding.

willandi
06-05-2019, 08:11 PM
uh, are you looking for minutes/rebounds/assists? i think he's a little below 30 mpg, just because of how deep and balanced i think we'll be, and the fact that i don't see him playing much at the 2... but he starts and is a top 2-3 option in the offense. i think he'll do what we ask him to in terms of rebounds and assists, and that'll likely depend a lot on lineups. i don't think i can make a useful guess on those. anything else?

and, just ftr, the ppg is the only thing i feel confident enough about that i'd have posted it without prodding.

So what you are saying is that he might start and will get from 5 to 30 minutes a game. 0-14 points and 0-4 rebounds plus 0-4 assists.

Pretty ballsy predictions for someone trying to correct mine.

soccerdud
06-05-2019, 08:19 PM
So what you are saying is that he might start and will get from 5 to 30 minutes a game. 0-14 points and 0-4 rebounds plus 0-4 assists.

Pretty ballsy predictions for someone trying to correct mine.

lol. yeah. "10-14 ppg", "he starts", and "a little below 30 mpg" becoming "0-14 ppg", "might start", and "5-30 minutes" is one of the more creative interpretations i've seen.

and my goal isn't to be ballsy. my goal is to be as reasonable and close to right as possible, and not make up stuff just to fill out a post, or pretend to have a clue (which i don't for assists and rebounds, at least not to any useful specificity).

willandi
06-05-2019, 08:28 PM
lol. yeah. "10-14 ppg", "he starts", and "a little below 30 mpg" becoming "0-14 ppg", "might start", and "5-30 minutes" is one of the more creative interpretations i've seen.

and my goal isn't to be ballsy. my goal is to be as close to right as possible, and not make up stuff just to fill out a post, or pretend to have a clue (which i don't for assists and rebounds, at least not to any useful specificity).

So why do you have to rag on my GUESS (clearly stated as such)? If you have a response, or a prediction, make it. Otherwise, I don't really need your c**p.

Have a nice, if somewhat misguided, day.

And by NOT making a prediction, you are close to nothing.

LTownZag
06-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Will - he wasn't making it personal.
He was pointing out how incredibly rare it has been for any Zag to put up 15 points per game.

No need to be heated.

willandi
06-05-2019, 08:30 PM
So why do you have to rag on my GUESS (clearly stated as such)? If you have a response, or a prediction, make it. Otherwise, I don't really need your c**p.

Have a nice, if somewhat misguided, day.

And by NOT making a prediction, you are close to nothing.

You know what? Never mind. You are my very small ignore list.

willandi
06-05-2019, 08:36 PM
He was pointing out how incredibly rare it has been for any Zag to put up 15 points per game.

No need to be heated.

It isn't the first time he has disagreed with my opinion. My opinions may be wrong, but they are mine.

The question asked was where we thought CK would fall this year. I clearly called mine a guess. Yes, he pointed out how rare the 15 ppg have been, and I pointed out that there are fewer returning players and no redshirt players and that CK was the starter as a Frosh over a RS Norvell before he hurt his ankle.

His only 'guess' was a vague, 'a bunch of guys at 10-14'. He wouldn't actually express a genuine prediction because he wants to be right and not guess.

Sorry, rant over. I blocked him so I don't/won't have to deal with it.

LTownZag
06-05-2019, 08:44 PM
You mentioned Corey's High School coach a couple of times. I'm not sure why and I have no idea what his h.s. coach had to say about him.

I was using high school in reference to CK's High school years and team he was on during his time in high school. I should have been more clear.

Was CK the best player on that team during his years? How many years was he a member? He broke his foot over Christmas of his 12th grade year, and according to CK's initial thread (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?54372-Corey-Kispert-Offered-by-Gonzaga-2017-6-6-wing-Kings-HS-(WA)/page2) (love Reborn's post) he played for multiple AAU teams. So how long was he playing on the FOH team under your coach friend?

soccerdud
06-05-2019, 09:32 PM

No need to be heated.

thanks ltown. truly, i wasn't trying to give anyone crap or make it personal. will, if you ever see this-- i'm sorry if i came across that way. was just providing some context for the discussion. tho i quoted will, the post wasn't any more for him than anyone else in here... he was just the first to throw out a number that high which triggered my curiosity about how many times (and when) we've seen that recently.

that being said, based on the way that whole interaction went, it's probably for the best that he blocked me. i'm good with that. i'll still comment on stuff, but can skip the back-and-forth.

ZagaZags
06-05-2019, 09:37 PM
I'm guessing Cory will start. Due to the talent we have coming in, I'd guess he'll get about 20+ minutes a game as he has when playing healthy. His career numbers are FG% 460, 3% 351, FT% 667 and about 4 rebounds per game. He doesn't draw many fouls but I would hope he puts up a few more shots and averages 10-12 points per game. That would be solid.

Ya think?

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-06-2019, 01:46 AM

I thought I was clear that it was his AAU coach (even named the team ... "FOH" "Friends of Hoops"). Corey is the first FOH kid to come to Gonzaga straight out of high school. McDonald's All American Micah Downs transferred to Gonzaga after beginning his career at Kansas.

As for being the best on his AAU team .... here's a link naming the FOH alumni . https://www.fohseattle.com/alumni/. His AAU coach (my friend/colleague) was used to talking to coaches about his kids ... and it'd be shocking if he ever "hyped" a guy over and above stating his talents/demeanor, etc. In actuality he is the exact opposite of somebody "highly motivated and biased".

I'll list a few of Corey's fellow FOH alumni (i.e. his peers). I know you weren't following basketball way back in the "Olynyk" GU era .... but these guys are recognizable names in the game of basketball.

Former Friends of Hoops players -

Martell Webster - 6th pick in the NBA draft
Jamal Crawford - 8th pick in the NBA draft
Spencer Hawes - 10th pick in the NBA draft
Zach LaVine - 13th pick in the NBA draft and former Zag recruit
Nate Robinson - 21st pick in the NBA draft
Joe Harris - 33rd pick in the NBA draft
Isaiah Thomas - multi year NBA All Star
Jon Brockman - multi year All Pac 12 -- multi year NBA and former Zag recruit

Again ... here's what the guy (Kispert's AAU coach) had to say to the h.c. of one of college basketball's Top 3-5 programs ...

Thanks, GZ. Cool to hear CKís former AAU coach spoke so highly of him and that his prediction for Kispertís college career is right on schedule. Iím really looking forward to his junior season. Wonder how much he can improve his handles and quickness this offseason because if he could earn minutes at the SG spot Iíd love to see him play alongside Watson at the 3 and Tillie at the 4. Imagine: Gilder, Kispert, Watson, Tillie, Timmie.... lot of length

bballbeachbum
06-06-2019, 07:19 AM
no Rui, no BC, no Zach, no Josh...that's a lot of shots and on-ball time out the door. How Few and co. use CK with the newly available minutes and shots and all the rest will give him the chance to do things and step up. Does he? I don't know, but I'd bet he gets the opportunity to take many more shots and be much more integral to the O. Not just a spot up shooter off the ball while others operate like before, but instead plays actually run for him and screens off the ball and weak side, post ups and elbow touches vs. the right matchups, curls off the wing, etc. CK has made a lot of tough clutch baskets and has been awesome supporting his teammates. Is it his turn to be the man, or one of them at least?

we'll see

willandi
06-06-2019, 08:02 AM
no Rui, no BC, no Zach, no Josh...that's a lot of shots and on-ball time out the door. How Few and co. use CK with the newly available minutes and shots and all the rest will give him the chance to do things and step up. Does he? I don't know, but I'd bet he gets the opportunity to take many more shots and be much more integral to the O. Not just a spot up shooter off the ball while others operate like before, but instead plays actually run for him and screens off the ball and weak side, post ups and elbow touches vs. the right matchups, curls off the wing, etc. CK has made a lot of tough clutch baskets and has been awesome supporting his teammates. Is it his turn to be the man, or one of them at least?

we'll see

I think it is, and yes, we'll see.

NotoriousZ
06-06-2019, 08:46 AM
thanks ltown. truly, i wasn't trying to give anyone crap or make it personal. will, if you ever see this-- i'm sorry if i came across that way. was just providing some context for the discussion. tho i quoted will, the post wasn't any more for him than anyone else in here... he was just the first to throw out a number that high which triggered my curiosity about how many times (and when) we've seen that recently.

that being said, based on the way that whole interaction went, it's probably for the best that he blocked me. i'm good with that. i'll still comment on stuff, but can skip the back-and-forth.

If I quote this Will might see it and perhaps take you off the ignore list. It didnít seem like a personal attack to me either, at least it didnít start out that way. However, it was starting to look like Spy vs. [insert anyone who disagrees with Spy here].

bballbeachbum
06-06-2019, 08:53 AM
I think it is, and yes, we'll see.

I think it is too but can't crystal ball it like others here. Haven't even seen any of the new guys ever play! Simply don't have the data to form an opinion, yet. hence, we'll (I'll) see ;)

CK kind of reminds me of Pendo in the sense that as the program evolved, and opportunities arose over his years at GU, Few went to him, and being an upperclassmen does bring key important elements to the table in this college bball equation thing evidently. I'm not saying CK is Pendo, or that his game is Pendo's, just to be clear, but think his role as leader is key along with his game, like Pendo

amaronizag
06-06-2019, 09:57 AM
The roster isn't even full yet and how the new guys will pan out is a total unknown. But I would say Cory has the best shot at starting at the 3 based on his performance to date. He's a stand up guy, great team player, and I love his jump shot. He's solid and unflappable. But he will have some serious competition (I hope) ---possibly even from an unknown new comer. Can Watson and Timme also play the 3? Probably. Few has lots of good pieces and interesting line ups to experiment with. Another fun year in store.

Bogozags
06-06-2019, 11:05 AM

As I reported here at the time, I was in the car with Coreyís AAU (FOH) coach while he was on the phone with an iconic college coach (ACC) during recruiting. This is almost verbatim as to what was said.

ďIíll say the same thing that I said to you about Joe Harris. He will be with you four years. His Junior and Senior Yearís he will be All Conference. And he will make somebodyís All American team.Ē

So you can take your Kyle Dranginis (who was a GREAT Zag btw) example of Kispertís upside and I will take Joe Harris (who Coreyís coach also had)

I believe Corey Kispert has earned his place on the Julius Erving watch list. And perhaps this ties to Tommyís mantra that folks only know about 5 percent of whatís going on ... but despite Kispertís Final list of Virginia, Notre Dame and Gonzaga ... he could have gone anywhere in the country out of high school. Anywhere (at least according to his AAU coach).

I remember watching him for the first time in a tournament he played in Seattle with "PROS" and he fit right in and at that time, I stated he was going to be an excellent player...in fact if memory serves, I said he would be a starter his freshman year which he was until he was injured playing in Portland.

From what I see he endeavors to excel taking his physical gifts and maximizing them where he can...there were many on here that stated his dense was lacking but from what I saw, he was pretty decent on both sides of the court. He was the 4th or 5th option on the court much the same way Dranginis was but IMO he will be called upon to increase his looks on the offencive end of the court this coming season...I think he will be the anchor on this team...

I believe he deserves this opportunity and have no doubts that he will shine!

soccerdud
06-06-2019, 11:18 AM
If I quote this Will might see it and perhaps take you off the ignore list. It didn’t seem like a personal attack to me either, at least it didn’t start out that way. However, it was starting to look like Spy vs. [insert anyone who disagrees with Spy here].

i appreciate it. but seriously, if he's that upset that i disagreed with one of his opinions for a second time in a week and didn't want to make up a random prediction-- we're all probably better off if he keeps me on ignore. i am not offended or bothered by that at all.

i just really hope i'm not the one in the role of spy here. i was mostly just trying to respond to his direct questions after my first post. apparently there was more going on in that little convo than i understood at the time. either way, ready to move on from that whole thing. :)

maynard g krebs
06-06-2019, 11:37 AM
i appreciate it. but seriously, if he's that upset that i disagreed with one of his opinions for a second time in a week and didn't want to make up a random prediction-- we're all probably better off if he keeps me on ignore. i am not offended or bothered by that at all.

i just really hope i'm not the one in the role of spy here. i was mostly just trying to respond to his direct questions after my first post. apparently there was more going on in that little convo than i understood at the time. either way, ready to move on from that whole thing. :)

FWIW I thought your post was (as usual) in the realm of reasonable, rational discussion, and not offensive in the least.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-06-2019, 12:52 PM
NCAA March Madness

Verified account

@marchmadness
10m10 minutes ago
More
Top #ErvingAward Candidates from @TheAndyKatz:

1. Jordan Nwora
2. Yoeli Childs
3. Josh Langford
4. Naji Marshall
5. Tres Tinkle
6. Scottie Lewis
7. Anthony Lamb
8. Corey Kispert
9. Nojel Eastern
10. Rex Pflueger
11. Xavier Sneed

"8. Corey Kispert, Jr., Gonzaga: The Zags ultimate glue guy will now have a more featured role. Kispert will expand his game and deliver with more shot opportunities."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-06-05/jordan-nwora-tops-11-favorites-2019-20-julius-erving-award

Has Yoeli Childs played a single career minute as a small forward? Heís an excellent player and deserves preseason recognition, but heís more of power forward or center.

NotoriousZ
06-06-2019, 02:12 PM
soccerdud, I didn’t want to risk offending anyone, but since you brought it up, you were not Spy. :)

And I think Cory turns it up a great deal this season!

GoZags
06-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Has Yoeli Childs played a single career minute as a small forward? He’s an excellent player and deserves preseason recognition, but he’s more of power forward or center.
Yoeli Childs has probably played as many minutes as a small forward as last year's winner of the Award (Rui) did.