PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep

Larryzag
11-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Can't sleep. Woke up feeling guilty for starting the whole debate in the Love LG thread by mentioning another player's offense (who shall go unnamed) versus LG's defense. So I wanted to start this thread to share my game observations and hopefully make amends.

In the game I saw, LG was everywhere. You all see it when the other team has control of the tempo of the game. Emporia State was coming down the floor in the first half and running their offense with no problem. It was the same old thing with open shot after open shot being allowed. We were all groaning in the stands thinking here we go again.

In comes LG. It was like Errol was reincarnated (exaggeration). (Yes I know he isn't dead). LG met the little quick point guard and shut him down. LG was quick enough to stay in front of the guy and big enough to prevent him from shooting over. Any offense LG brought to the team was a bonus just like Errol. But if he stays healthy it looks like he could score 10 points a game or more.

I know this is just one game against a good Division II team. However, against better teams and top quality guards we are going to need a defensive stopper even more. I got excited over seeing someone play defense like that again. If the coaches are serious about defense this year LG will get a lot of playing time. Pargo and Downs were two others that stood out to me on defense. With Pargo and LG meeting the opposing guards coming down the floor we have a great chance of controlling the tempo of games this year. We also have the people to do an effective trap. Last year we just didn't have it.

I see it going like this. Few will start the games with LG on the bench. When the defense needs help he will insert him. He'll probably get about 20 minutes per game this way. If we start out slow defensively in too many games and LG's offense comes around, I just don't see how the coaches could not play him 25 to 30 minutes a game. Ronny is starting for the Lakers because Jackson wants his energy in games from the start. I could see a similar role for LG this year.

So this isn't meant to trash any other players. It's just my observations from the game and I know it is only one game. And yes I am a little biased because of LG's name. There aren't too many people under 50 with it anymore.

drnoe
11-09-2007, 06:57 AM
In comes LG. It was like Errol was reincarnated (exaggeration). (Yes I know he isn't dead). LG met the little quick point guard and shut him down. LG was quick enough to stay in front of the guy and big enough to prevent him from shooting over. Any offense LG brought to the team was a bonus just like Errol. But if he stays healthy it looks like he could score 10 points a game or more.

Can we get LG to start wearing a headband?

Reborn
11-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Don't worry so much Larryzag. Just write what you believe you see. Trust yourself. You'll never get total agreement on any issue, and I think that's a good thing, as it keeps us all right size. I've learned a lot in a year about messaging on a board, and I've learned to sleep at night....:D

I loved your post. Keep it up. I felt exactly the same way about Larry G, and his defensive abilities. I felt the same about when he came into the game. I didn't quite see him as the reincarnation of Earl, but more of Moses!!!

Proudzagmom
11-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Larryzag,

I am the queen of editing/deleting. I post a really "clever and/or witty" response and then think about it for a time and decide it really isn't as clever and/or witty as I thought. I have lost sleep and gotten up in the middle of the night to change or delete a post because I''m worried that it doesn't sound right. But, just know that you are among friends who appreciate your insights. You also aren't going to get too many arguments about your love for LG. We've been waiting to see him back out on the court again! Looking forward to hearing more from you throughout the season. (By the way, my daughter graduated high school in 2005 with a nice kid named Larry. ;) )

mendiant
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Well, I appreciate your repentance.

A love thread is a love thread, not a critique thread. Show love, start your own critique thread.

Well played repentance IMO.

That being said, we all make mistakes.

I've posted after a few merlots and thought better of it the next morning.

I called one guy a "buttbrain" once. I felt bad, but not for long, he was...

a buttbrain.

love,
mendiant

Proudzagmom
11-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Ohhh Mendiant! If only I could be as clever and witty as you, I would be a happy woman!!