PDA

View Full Version : Yoeli Childs returning for senior year.

bdmiller7
05-29-2019, 07:29 PM
BYU and SMC should both be fighting for an NCAA berth next year. I think Pepperdine will be pretty good next year too, maybe even NIT good. It's always nice to have some competitive games during conference. Feel free to move.

Kiddwell
05-29-2019, 10:17 PM
Great news for the conference. Here's hoping Yoeli & his new coach can put the thing together, break through to an NCAA bid. SMC too.

:]

sittingon50
05-30-2019, 11:00 AM
They just got better. Not sure how many new faces Pope is bringing in, but I think this at least makes them competitive.

Bogozags
05-30-2019, 11:30 AM
There gong to have a pretty decent team - my projected lineup would be:

PG - Harding
SG - Toolson
SF - Haws
PF - Childs
C - Baxter

I would guess that if Emery gets into shape, loses some weight he would be the first off the bench along with Seljaas.

Don't know what if any size they have coming in off a Mission but they will be pretty darn solid...

bdmiller7
05-30-2019, 12:38 PM
I'd guess...

PG-Haws
G-Emery
G-Toolson
F-Baxter
F-Childs

Wade, Harding, Seljaas getting good minutes.
Nixon, Lee, Knell picking up spot minutes as needed.

Bogozags
05-30-2019, 01:18 PM
I'd guess...

PG-Haws
G-Emery
G-Toolson
F-Baxter
F-Childs

Wade, Harding, Seljaas getting good minutes.
Nixon, Lee, Knell picking up spot minutes as needed.

Not sure if they want the ball in Haws's hands so much as it will be difficult for him to get open for shots, which is why I picked Harding...but they will be tough just as SMC and Pepperdine...

soccerdud
05-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Not sure if they want the ball in Haws's hands so much as it will be difficult for him to get open for shots, which is why I picked Harding...but they will be tough just as SMC and Pepperdine...

while i get that, haws was a legitimate top-25 pg last year. his ortg (117.3) and advanced shooting stats (>50% eFG and >60% TS) were solid , even with how much the offense relied on him. i don't see them changing that... just like with perkins here, you can take a top point guard off the ball to get open looks situationally-- but it's rarely to your team's benefit to take the ball out of your best facilitator's hands as the default strategy. i'm with BD on the lineup.

jpn17
05-30-2019, 02:35 PM
BYU and SMC should both be fighting for an NCAA berth next year. I think Pepperdine will be pretty good next year too, maybe even NIT good. It's always nice to have some competitive games during conference. Feel free to move.

I'll believe it when it happens. I think SMC and BYU are both NIT teams this year, save an absolute Gonzaga meltdown in the WCC tournament again. But I don't see them doing that 2 years in a row.

Markburn1
05-30-2019, 04:40 PM
I'll believe it when it happens. I think SMC and BYU are both NIT teams this year, save an absolute Gonzaga meltdown in the WCC tournament again. But I don't see them doing that 2 years in a row.

St. Mary's will be really good. Good enough that they may not have to rely on a win over the Zags to make the NCAA's.

Zagdawg
05-30-2019, 05:27 PM
The question is -- will St Marys OOC schedule allow them to showcase the talent they have or will they hope to beat the Zags in the championship to get to the dance.

sittingon50
05-30-2019, 07:50 PM
St. Mary's will be really good. Good enough that they may not have to rely on a win over the Zags to make the NCAA's.

St. Mary's is a team that only lost 1 guy from a team that would have beat Nova in the Dance if they would have played anywhere but Hartford, IMO.

They're gonna' be tough.

bigblahla
05-31-2019, 04:49 AM
Hopefully the brethren won't drop their drawers in the OOC... cause the WCC is gonna be a war.... Toolson, Baxter, Childs and Haws +1 is a dynamic offensive team, the question will be defense... as for Gollum and the Black Horde, they will be tough as nails... if GU and the brethren stand tall in the OOC there could be three top 25 ranked teams at the start of the WCC conference season with a 4th in the top 35...

Just my opinion...

Go !! Zags!!!

Bogozags
05-31-2019, 05:28 AM
Hopefully the brethren won't drop their drawers in the OOC... cause the WCC is gonna be a war.... Toolson, Baxter, Childs and Haws +1 is a dynamic offensive team, the question will be defense... as for Gollum and the Black Horde, they will be tough as nails... if GU and the brethren stand tall in the OOC there could be three top 25 ranked teams at the start of the WCC conference season with a 4th in the top 35...

Just my opinion...

Go !! Zags!!!

Pepperdine could well be the spoiler this year...they lost two seniors - one starter and "sixth man" but they have a strong core returning with Ross as the PG and Jade Smith and if Kam Edwards can stay healthy (ala Tillie) and if his brother Kessler makes the anticipated "jump" his sophomore year and if Cage is rejuvenated they could be a force and really challenge the top three...

If Bone returns to coach the defence among other game aspects then they should have an awfully good OOC season like you mentioned...Top 35 would be well within expectations...

Kiddwell
05-31-2019, 07:14 AM
St. Mary's is a team that only lost 1 guy from a team that would have beat Nova in the Dance if they would have played anywhere but Hartford, IMO.

They're gonna' be tough.

Didn't SMC have to redshirt their grad-transfer center last year due to injury? If memory serves, he's from Seattle University and 7'3". That kind of height gave us fits last year. (This year, though, we've waves of 6'10'/6'11" guys to throw at the opposition.) Kiddwell's a big, big fan of Saint Mary's and their coach. Back-to-back NCAA Dances for them would be wonderful. And if BYU can win some of their meaningful OOC games (well, SMC too), that bodes well for the conference's rep & Big Dance representation.

:]

willandi
05-31-2019, 07:38 AM
How many OOC wins, and what conference records, would be needed for the WCC to send 3 teams, much less 4, to the NCAA's? I am assuming that the Zags make it.

That would be taking away tickets from the lower tier P 6 conferences, and too many of those punched and they would no longer play the WCC.

TexasZagFan
05-31-2019, 08:26 AM
How many OOC wins, and what conference records, would be needed for the WCC to send 3 teams, much less 4, to the NCAA's? I am assuming that the Zags make it.

That would be taking away tickets from the lower tier P 6 conferences, and too many of those punched and they would no longer play the WCC.

First, Zags would have to be beaten for the auto bid, like last year. The third team will need several top 50 victories in order to be considered. How many midmajor programs got in that weren't autobids...8? 9? Chances that WCC would nab two of those are slim indeed.

Secondly, Zags will need to have another stellar year, to include beating UNC at home, and Arizona and Texas A&M on the road. IMHO, all 3 games must be won for the Zags to be a 4 seed, qualifying them for the first weekend in Spokane.

Our newcomers are going to have to grow up quicker than those playing in power conferences. Tillie coming back helps, as would Thornton joining the Zags. I like our chances, that's just the way I currently survey the landscape 5 months out.

TheOtherGreatOne
05-31-2019, 08:28 AM
St. Mary's plays a really weak schedule every year. They will be very lucky to get an at large bid if they don't win the tourney. It appears to me that Bennett is worried about his coaching record than getting to the ncaa tournament. People in the east doesn't even think the Zags are any good, much less St.Marys. They will win a lot of games but Bennett hardly ever plays away from home, this is also looked down on by the people on the selection comitie. They could have a 30-4 record, but a team with a 6-12 record would make the ncaa tournament over them. It is all about perception, and it is looked at by most people in the east that the wcc is awful. Bennett contributes greatly to this perception of St.Mary's by hardly ever playing on the road or playing teams from the east that would at least give them some national exposer. That is just my opinion.

jpn17
05-31-2019, 04:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, I hope you are right. I think Gonzaga would benefit from being pushed all year by SMC, not only in the head to head matchups, but in the race for a conference championship as well. But I still don't see it. I think SMC is another year away from that.

TheOtherGreatOne
06-01-2019, 09:35 AM
St. Mary's plays a really weak schedule every year. They will be very lucky to get an at large bid if they don't win the tourney. It appears to me that Bennett is worried about his coaching record than getting to the ncaa tournament. People in the east doesn't even think the Zags are any good, much less St.Marys. They will win a lot of games but Bennett hardly ever plays away from home, this is also looked down on by the people on the selection comitie. They could have a 30-4 record, but a team with a 6-12 record would make the ncaa tournament over them. It is all about perception, and it is looked at by most people in the east that the wcc is awful. Bennett contributes greatly to this perception of St.Mary's by hardly ever playing on the road or playing teams from the east that would at least give them some national exposer. That is just my opinion.

I meant to say a team with a 6-12 record in the acc or big-10 would be more likelt to make the ncaa tournament than a St.Marys 30-4 team than never plays on the road or antone that is very good.

bartruff1
06-01-2019, 12:20 PM
I think the Gaels will make it....but unless a new coach can get a consistent effort from BYU on defense I doubt they make the Dance....

Childs is a very skilled player...…. but imo…... not much of a team player....I am looking forward to seeing Wade play....I think he did the right thing transferring to BYU...

maynard g krebs
06-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I hope you are right. I think Gonzaga would benefit from being pushed all year by SMC, not only in the head to head matchups, but in the race for a conference championship as well. But I still don't see it. I think SMC is another year away from that.

I don't get the year away comment at all. They will be one of the most veteran teams in CBB with stars in Ford and Fitts, and a really solid veteran in Krebs. They return everyone of importance except Hunter, and Tass is ready to take his place. If Menzies is healthy and gets an extra year, they're deeper at center. Fotu should make a soph jump as well. And they should have Zorics, who was their projected pg before getting hurt last year, along with Kuhse, who got better and better as the season went along. They return a TON of experience relative to most teams.

T-rank projects them 14th, SB Nation has them 20th, Parrish at CBS says 26th, and Katz says 33rd. Their team improved a lot late in the season after a stretch of tough losses early. With the Zags integrating mostly freshmen and transfers, I expect a battle for the league title, with the Zags winning it over SMC by one or two games.

NotoriousZ
06-01-2019, 03:59 PM
I think the Gaels will make it....but unless a new coach can get a consistent effort from BYU on defense I doubt they make the Dance....

Childs is a very skilled player...…. but imo…... not much of a team player....I am looking forward to seeing Wade play....I think he did the right thing transferring to BYU...

Agree on Jesse Wade, I will be expecting to see a shooting clinic from him.