PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Participants For U19 World Cup Team

Zagdawg
05-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Thirty-Four Athletes to Take Part in Training Camp for USA Menís U19 World Cup Team

Anton Watson (Gonzaga Prep/Spokane, Wash.)

Jalen Suggs (Minnehaha Academy/Minneapolis, Minn.)

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/05/mu19-training-camp-roster.aspx

Mr Vulture
05-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Thirty-Four Athletes to Take Part in Training Camp for USA Men’s U19 World Cup Team

Nice! I imagine that Watson has a good shot of making the team with his experience in camp last year.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Thirty-Four Athletes to Take Part in Training Camp for USA Men’s U19 World Cup Team

Let’s go Anton!!

Kiddwell
05-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Kessler Edwards an upcoming-sophomore from Pepperdine too. (Really like his game.)

:]

vandalzag
05-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Interesting that Jaden McDaniels was not on this list.

Mr Vulture
05-23-2019, 01:15 PM
Interesting that Jaden McDaniels was not on this list.

I found that interesting to, particularly since Hopkins is an assistant on the team.

JPtheBeasta
05-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Suggs has a chance to talk to our guy Watson about GU and Spokane; has the opportunity to form a friendship relationship there, if there isn't one already; and can see if they play well together. Watson seems like such a team-first guy, and good guy in general, that he seems like he would be a good ambassador.

ZagNative
05-23-2019, 01:55 PM
Lots of present and future Zags will be representing their countries at the FIBA U19 World Championships in Greece from June 29 - July 7.

From Serbia, Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga sophomore
From France, Joel Ayayi, Gonzaga sophomore
From Lithuania, Martynas Arlauskas, incoming freshman
From Russia, Pavel Zakharov, incoming freshman
From Mali, Oumar Ballo, incoming freshman

Stories on the FIBA U19 Website:

Petrusev: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/serbian-star-pecarski-no-reason-not-to-believe-in-a-u19-world-cup-gold-medal

Pecarski will undoubtedly be one of the leaders for Serbia along with his fellow big man Filip Petrusev, who joined Pecarski on the FIBA U18 European Championship 2018 All-Star Five by averaging 21.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks.

"Filip and I have played together for years and we always had a great connection. So I expect us to lead the team until the end and make a great success again," said Pecarski, who played with Petrusev at the 2015 and 2016 U16 European Championships as well as both U18 continental tournaments in 2017 and 2018.

While Pecarski is playing with Partizan, Petrusev is in the United States playing with Gonzaga University - a fact that Pecarski believes will serve Serbia well this summer.

"I think that he is at a great place, and right now his experience can be very helpful eventually against teams like United States or Canada," Pecarski said of Petrusev, who averaged 6.5 points and 2.7 rebounds this season including 4 points and 3 rebounds in Gonzaga’s First Round game of the NCAA Tournament.

Serbia are far more than just the big man duo of Pecarski and Petrusev though with some of the other possible leaders being Zoran Paunovic and Luka Cerovina among others.

"I think this is what makes this team good: that every player knows what he has to do to help and what things they do excellently," he said. "We have a lot of talent and besides Filip and me, you never know which player can step up and make a difference."

Martynas Arlauska: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/arlauskas-sirvydis-jokubaitis-among-big-guns-for-lithuania-at-u19-camp

VILNIUS (Lithuania) - Lithuania will have their big guns available as they prepare for the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2019 with Martynas Arlauskas, Rokas Jokubaitis and Deividas Sirvydis included in the team's 24-man preliminary roster for training camp.

The star trio will play in a major role in Lithuania's chances of competing for a medal at the U19 World Cup from June 29-July 7 in Heraklion, where Gediminas Petrauskas' team will face New Zealand, Senegal and the United States in Group A.
Lithuania's 24-man pool includes 10 players who finished second at the FIBA U16 European Championship 2016 and 10 players who were fifth last summer at the FIBA U18 European Championship 2018, where Lithuania qualified for their eighth appearance in the U19 global showcase. The main name missing is Sarunas Valunta, who was injured.

Jokubaitis and Sirvydis were on both U16 and U18 teams while Jokubaitis as well as Dovydas Giedraitis both played at the FIBA U19 World Cup 2017 in Cairo. Arlauskas, who will be playing for Gonzaga University in the United States next season, was on the U16 team but missed the U18 European Championship last summer with a stress fracture in his foot.

Oumar Ballo: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/u18-africa-look-back-mali-capture-first-title-over-successful-returnees-senegal

One thing was certain about this Mali group. It was a talented team with lots of international experience, with six players having played at least one youth World Cup or continental championship. Coulibaly and Aboubacar Djire both lost to Egypt in the Final of the FIBA U16 African Championship 2015 with Coulibaly playing at the FIBA U17 Basketball World Cup in 2016. Martin Diakite appeared on the team at the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2017 while Kanoute, Oumar Ballo and Mohamed Keita helped Mali to their first-ever youth continental crown by taking the FIBA U16 African Championship 2017 and then played in the FIBA U17 Basketball World Cup 2018 as well.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-23-2019, 03:01 PM
Great stuff ZN. Thank you!

JPtheBeasta
05-23-2019, 09:48 PM
This will be a fun tournament to watch with a lot of special reasons to pay attention to games that wouldn’t normally be on my radar.

DixieZag
05-24-2019, 06:11 AM
Suggs has a chance to talk to our guy Watson about GU and Spokane; has the opportunity to form a friendship relationship there, if there isn't one already; and can see if they play well together. Watson seems like such a team-first guy, and good guy in general, that he seems like he would be a good ambassador.

That would be fascinating. And this:

Watson seems like such a team-first guy, and good guy in general

Also does seem true.

He must know that GU is hard after Suggs, and one would think it would be hard NOT to talk to a guy and try to convince him.

I hope Watson makes the team, but even being invited to such a camp is a huge honor. One of the top 34 players in the U.S. under 19? Simply wonderful.

Also, it would seem to me, that as Few has taken the program to a new level, HE is now at a point in time when HIS name will come up when it comes to possible coaches for teams such as that. I have no idea if he has any interest in such a thing. He's a man who values his family and time with them, so. But I suspect his name will start appearing as a possibility in the next few years.

Markburn1
05-24-2019, 07:19 AM
That would be fascinating. And this:

Also does seem true.

He must know that GU is hard after Suggs, and one would think it would be hard NOT to talk to a guy and try to convince him.

I hope Watson makes the team, but even being invited to such a camp is a huge honor. One of the top 34 players in the U.S. under 19? Simply wonderful.

Also, it would seem to me, that as Few has taken the program to a new level, HE is now at a point in time when HIS name will come up when it comes to possible coaches for teams such as that. I have no idea if he has any interest in such a thing. He's a man who values his family and time with them, so. But I suspect his name will start appearing as a possibility in the next few years.

https://www.usab.com/history/pan-am-mens/seventeenth-pan-american-games-2015.aspx

Mr. Few has done a little international coaching. Maybe more in the future.

maynard g krebs
05-24-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm going to predict that Watson makes the team. On a team of allstars, the coaches are going to want a guy who plays team ball and has a high iq and makes those around him better.

bdmiller7
05-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Lots of present and future Zags will be representing their countries at the FIBA U19 World Championships in Greece from June 29 - July 7.

Petrusev: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/serbian-star-pecarski-no-reason-not-to-believe-in-a-u19-world-cup-gold-medal

Martynas Arlauska: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/arlauskas-sirvydis-jokubaitis-among-big-guns-for-lithuania-at-u19-camp

Oumar Ballo: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/u18-africa-look-back-mali-capture-first-title-over-successful-returnees-senegal

I think Strawther is set to play for Puerto Rico also.

Mantua
05-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Wow ZN! Thank you for all of the research. Summer is starting to look like a basketball party.

ZagNative
05-24-2019, 02:11 PM
I think Strawther is set to play for Puerto Rico also.Wow! I missed that, but it looks like you're right:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nevada-preps/libertys-julian-strawther-to-play-for-puerto-rican-national-team-1563661/

Puerto Ricans know Liberty’s 6-7 star wing as Julian Cordero-Strawther — a consensus top 40 recruit and one of the new faces of their national basketball team.

Strawther, a junior at Liberty, will represent Puerto Rico on its junior national team this summer at the under-17 Caribbean Championships and under-19 FIBA World Cup. Puerto Rico’s national team had for several months courted Strawther, whose late mother, Lourdes Cordero-Strawther, was Puerto Rican.

Junior national team coach Omar Gonzalez watched Strawther play last month during the Tarkanian Classic and secured his commitment Dec. 23.

“Basketball is such a big sport in Puerto Rico. … Being such a small island, we have to try to get an advantage however we can get it,” Gonzalez said. “Julian has the type of talent, type of demeanor and (maturity) that will take him to the senior national team. I really see him at that level.”

So, it looks like 7 out of the 16 teams represented in FIBA U19 will include a Zag, present or future:

https://i.imgur.com/ZCRmuFU.jpg

bdmiller7
05-24-2019, 04:33 PM
That will make for some fun summer watching for the GU fans. Hopefully GU has an alum team in TBT too. I like seeing some of the old players for a couple games.

TexasZagFan
05-24-2019, 04:50 PM
Wow! I missed that, but it looks like you're right:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nevada-preps/libertys-julian-strawther-to-play-for-puerto-rican-national-team-1563661/

So, it looks like 7 out of the 16 teams represented in FIBA U19 will include a Zag, present or future:

https://i.imgur.com/ZCRmuFU.jpg

Is there any program that will have more representation than us at FIBA U19? I'd say there's a real story here that deserves to be told.

CDC84
05-25-2019, 10:44 PM
Nice! I imagine that Watson has a good shot of making the team with his experience in camp last year.

Plus he was one of the very last cuts.

Jstock12
05-28-2019, 07:22 AM

VILNIUS (Lithuania) - Lithuania will have their big guns available as they prepare for the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2019 with Martynas Arlauskas, Rokas Jokubaitis and Deividas Sirvydis included in the team's 24-man preliminary roster for training camp.

The star trio will play in a major role in Lithuania's chances of competing for a medal at the U19 World Cup from June 29-July 7 in Heraklion, where Gediminas Petrauskas' team will face New Zealand, Senegal and the United States in Group A.

I think 'star trio' might be pushing it. I really don't expect Arlauskas to dominate after what he's been through. Sirvydis (potential draftee in the 2019 NBA draft) seems like the far and away the best player at the moment, with Jokubaitis being the second option. Then you have a bunch of guys who can have pretty solid contributions - Arlauskas, Venskus, Giedraitis, Jarumbauskas. It actually seems like it's going to be a pretty stacked/deep team. I think they might have a shot at a medal.

ZagNative
05-28-2019, 07:57 AM
The FIBA website has a nice story about Gonzaga's players Joel Ayayi, Filip Petrusev, and Killian Tillie. http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/france-have-grown-and-learned-from-past-leader-ayayi-says

PARIS (France) - Joel Ayayi insists France have grown up since a strong third-placed finish at the FIBA U18 European Championship 2018 and they are ready to show that at the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2019.

France come together for their next training camp ahead of the U19 World Cup on May 28, meeting until June 9 with two exhibition games against Belgium on June 8 and June 9 in Temple-sur-Lot. Frederic Crapez’s team then will meet June 14-15 at INSEP headquarters in Paris before another camp in Vrsac, Serbia June 16-19 and the final camp from June 19-25 in Compiegne with two final warm-ups against Canada on June 23 and New Zealand a day later.

"It’s really exciting to know that we’ll be back together. We have a generation with a lot of good guys on and off the course, so it’s gonna be fun once again," said Ayayi, who was second in scoring for France at the U18 European Championship with 15.7 points to go with 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.7 steals.
Ayayi expects to have a similar major role in Greece from June 29-July 7.

"I don’t think my role is going to be different from last year. My leadership is going to be required as well as my playmaking abilities on both sides of the floor," said Ayayi, who was named to the All-Star Five for his efforts last summer.

The 6ft 3in (1.90m) guard is looking forward to the group stage in Heraklion, where France have been drawn into Group D with China, Puerto Rico and Serbia.

"It’s going to be a good battle to get out of this group in good shape. Three really different styles of basketball which will require adaptation every time. It’s going to be fun and interesting," Ayayi said.

Murphy outgo lifer
05-28-2019, 10:27 AM
I think 'star trio' might be pushing it. I really don't expect Arlauskas to dominate after what he's been through. Sirvydis (potential draftee in the 2019 NBA draft) seems like the far and away the best player at the moment, with Jokubaitis being the second option. Then you have a bunch of guys who can have pretty solid contributions - Arlauskas, Venskus, Giedraitis, Jarumbauskas. It actually seems like it's going to be a pretty stacked/deep team. I think they might have a shot at a medal.

Hello JStock! Can you give the rest of us a rundown of Arlauskas’s game and what we should expect from him next year and what his potential could be in the futures please?

Thank you and I hope everything is going well for you!!

Jstock12
05-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Hello JStock! Can you give the rest of us a rundown of Arlauskas’s game and what we should expect from him next year and what his potential could be in the futures please?

Thank you and I hope everything is going well for you!!

I think the most important thing is to temper your expectations for Arlauskas at the very beginning. I don't think it's fair to put too much pressure on the young guy. The injury has slowed down his progress, and so I don't expect him to be a big part of Gonzaga's rotation in his freshman year. Perhaps a small role off the bench is realistic. But going forward beyond his freshman year, I think he can become a very solid contributor, maybe even the third best player on the team. I think he has that potential.

That being said it's pretty hard for me to project how he's going to look in the NCAA. This season, he played in the NKL (second Lithuanian division), and averaged 4.9 ppg on 42/29/88 shooting splits, also 2.5 rpg, 1.3 apg (and 1.2 TO) in 18 mpg in 17 games. This is slightly worse than his 2017/18 stats in the same league. It's hard to compare NKL to NCAA, but just to give you some context, another young Lithuanian player Ignas Sargiunas decided to go to the NCAA (Georgia Bulldogs) after averaging 10.3 ppg (on 48% shooting from the field) in NKL, and couldn't crack the rotation in Georgia. Granted, that might have had something to do with other things (culture shock, basketball IQ, not having good enough physical tools to defend etc.). Like I said, it's really hard to project how someone from NKL might translate to D-1 basketball.

Zagdawg
05-30-2019, 08:55 AM
Would you recommend a red shirt year to get acclimated to college/US life and complete his injury recovery?

WallaWallaZag
05-30-2019, 10:46 AM
Would you recommend a red shirt year to get acclimated to college/US life and complete his injury recovery?

zags need help at the guard spots so if he's good enough he'll play right away...he looks like he has better footspeed than kispert.

Jstock12
05-30-2019, 01:32 PM

From what I know, he's pretty much fully recovered. I personally think he needs to play as many meaningful minutes as possible. I think these World Cup matches will tell us a lot about his current condition. There should be some preparation/exhibition games too.

Jstock12
06-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Lithuanian U19 team just beat their peers from Latvia, 75-72.

Arlauskas ended up with 5 points. It seems like the best Lithuanian U19 player Sirvydis has decided not to participate in the World Cup. I guess Lithuania might not fight for the medals after all. However, this means Martynas might get some extra minutes.

21 minute, 5 points (2/4 from the field, 0/1 from three, 1/3 from the FT line), 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 turnovers.

Jstock12
06-16-2019, 07:21 AM
Lithuanian U19 team just beat their peers from Latvia, 75-72.

Arlauskas ended up with 5 points. It seems like the best Lithuanian U19 player Sirvydis has decided not to participate in the World Cup. I guess Lithuania might not fight for the medals after all. However, this means Martynas might get some extra minutes.

21 minute, 5 points (2/4 from the field, 0/1 from three, 1/3 from the FT line), 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 turnovers.

Game 2 against the peers from Latvia today. Latvia wins 84-82

Arlauskas with 15 minutes, 3 points (0/5 from the field, 0/1 from three, 3/6 from the FT line), 1 rebound.

On the bright side, he can only be better from now on.

hooter73
06-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Well Hmmm. I guess it’s good he’s getting back into the swing of things now to be ready for gu in the fall???

Jstock12
06-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Well Hmmm. I guess it’s good he’s getting back into the swing of things now to be ready for gu in the fall???

Absolutely. Being around guys like Jokubaitis and Venskus could rub off on him and give him some confidence in his own game.

Zagdawg
06-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Jacob Polacheck

@JacobPolacheck
5h5 hours ago
More
Head coaches in attendance today for the USA Basketball U-19 Training Camp:
UK: John Calipari
Arizona: Sean Miller
Gonzaga: Mark Few
Colorado: Tad Boyle
Oregon: Dana Altman
OSU: Mike Boynton
Georgetown: Patrick Ewing
Michigan: Juwan Howard
UCLA: Mick Cronin
USC: Andy Enfield

Hooray4Daye&Gray
06-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Jacob Polacheck

@JacobPolacheck
5h5 hours ago
More
Head coaches in attendance today for the USA Basketball U-19 Training Camp:
UK: John Calipari
Arizona: Sean Miller
Gonzaga: Mark Few
Colorado: Tad Boyle
Oregon: Dana Altman
OSU: Mike Boynton
Georgetown: Patrick Ewing
Michigan: Juwan Howard
UCLA: Mick Cronin
USC: Andy Enfield

Players from Minnesota who have already visited Gonzaga that are in the USA Basketball U-19 Training Camp:

Jalen Suggs

Zagdawg
06-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Jonathan Givony

Verified account

@DraftExpress
59s59 seconds ago
More
After three and a half very intense days of scrimmaging in training camp, 18 finalists remain for the USA Basketball U19 World Cup, down from 32 originally.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1141007434980495362

Narrowed list to 18 players-- Anton Watson and Jalen Suggs still on the list.

Jonathan Givony

Verified account

@DraftExpress
51s51 seconds ago
More
Here are the players who didn't make the team: Jayden Scrubb, Bryce Wills, Nimari Burnett, Eric Dixon, Dajuan Gordon, Justin Moore (hurt), Onyeka Okongwu, Jared Butler (unavailable), Hunter Dickinson, Caleb Love, Ethan Morton, Kessler Edwards, Sharife Cooper. 6 more cuts coming.

NotoriousZ
06-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Watson and Suggs—2020

;)

Zagdawg
06-18-2019, 10:36 AM
https://247sports.com/Article/Thoughts-from-USA-U19-Trials-132965478/

Jstock12
06-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Game 2 against the peers from Latvia today. Latvia wins 84-82

Arlauskas with 15 minutes, 3 points (0/5 from the field, 0/1 from three, 3/6 from the FT line), 1 rebound.

On the bright side, he can only be better from now on.

Another game today. Lithuanian U19 squad beat the Lithuanian U20 team.

Arlauskas with 16 minutes, 3 points (0/1 FG, 3/4 FT), 1 rebound, 1 steal. Only 1 field goal is concerning. Hopefully his bad shooting isn't eating at his confidence.

Zagdawg
06-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Suggs makes the team but Watson does not.

USABJNT

Verified account

@usabjnt
Follow Follow @usabjnt
More
�� Introducing the 2019 USA Men's U19 World Cup Team �� #USABMU19

https://twitter.com/usabjnt/status/1141740511247646720

Zaga
06-20-2019, 01:32 PM
Was hoping for Watson to make it this year. Top 18 is still really good IMO.

sittingon50
06-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Top 18 is still really good IMO.

It is.

CDC84
06-20-2019, 08:09 PM
God I feel for Watson. To be one of the last cuts TWO YEARS IN A ROW!

Jstock12
06-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Another game today. Lithuanian U19 squad beat the Lithuanian U20 team.

Arlauskas with 16 minutes, 3 points (0/1 FG, 3/4 FT), 1 rebound, 1 steal. Only 1 field goal is concerning. Hopefully his bad shooting isn't eating at his confidence.

Arlauskas with 8 points today in a close loss against Australia.

sittingon50
06-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the updates JStock.

Goshzagit
06-22-2019, 09:51 PM
God I feel for Watson. To be one of the last cuts TWO YEARS IN A ROW!

Really surprising. By all accounts, was a stand-out performer 4 of the 5 days/scrimmages/practices.

But as I posted in his thread, sometimes OVER-versatility can work against you.

And also why I feel it could take time for Anton to make his mark and learn his best position.

He views himself as SG through Center, and plays like it.

A great thing after you have proven yourself in one position, and go from there.

Anton has said in two separate interviews he will play 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 at Gonzaga.

Maybe he will yet every one of those positions require a different responsibility, esp at this level.

Cosch Weber may have asked himself, "we have a 6'10" kid who is a SF with a PF game, yet also bug enough for Center, yet acts like a SG on the court, hmmmm....talented kid, great ability, yet where do we put ornplay him? I'm gonna go with the SF and PF who look and play like one."

Jstock12
06-23-2019, 07:00 AM
Arlauskas with 8 points today in a close loss against Australia.

Lithuania beats China 130-62

Arlauskas with 10 points.

Zags1993
06-23-2019, 02:01 PM
France u19 beat canada by 20 today in a friendly. Good game for Joel vs AJ Lawson. https://twitter.com/_manelo/status/1142854337615597569?s=21

ZagNative
06-23-2019, 03:31 PM
France u19 beat canada by 20 today in a friendly. Good game for Joel vs AJ Lawson. https://twitter.com/_manelo/status/1142854337615597569?s=21Thank you so much! I've been scouring the internet all day for results of this game. Glad you found it. Good for Joel!

Nevada Don
06-23-2019, 04:36 PM
Australia (surprise) has two incoming Gaels 2019 U19 on their team, Alex Ducas and Kyle Bowen. Speculation is that both will see minutes as freshmen but who knows. RB is high on them. Of course, RB needs to be high on something (short joke).

caldwellzag
06-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Lithuania beats China 130-62

Arlauskas with 10 points.

JStock12 I have heard some rumblings that maybe one of MA's teammates might be looking pretty seriously at GU, are you hearing similar things over there. Hearing Tommy has been on him hard!

raise the zag
06-23-2019, 04:49 PM
France u19 beat canada by 20 today in a friendly. Good game for Joel vs AJ Lawson. https://twitter.com/_manelo/status/1142854337615597569?s=21

Joel up to his old tricks -- tearing up international competition, and performing well vs solid players/prospects. He was fairly dominant last year at FIBA, often scoring at will. Averaging 16 ppg for the Tourney.

Ita gotta translate at some point, right?

Jstock12
06-24-2019, 03:07 AM
JStock12 I have heard some rumblings that maybe one of MA's teammates might be looking pretty seriously at GU, are you hearing similar things over there. Hearing Tommy has been on him hard!

Very interesting. I haven't heard anything about it.

Teammate from the Lithuanian U19 team? I wonder who could it be though. All the best players just don't seem available anymore. Some names can be eliminated immediately - Sirvydis got drafted and both Jokubaitis/Venskus have signed pro contracts with Zalgiris while Jarumbauskas has signed with Rytas. I believe Giedraitis also has a pro contract in Spain, so that doesn't leave many names that could be worth "going hard after". Maybe someone a year younger than Arlauskas, from Zalgiris-2? Someone like...

... like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAELIocZ6U

caldwellzag
06-24-2019, 06:30 AM
Very interesting. I haven't heard anything about it.

Teammate from the Lithuanian U19 team? I wonder who could it be though. All the best players just don't seem available anymore. Some names can be eliminated immediately - Sirvydis got drafted and both Jokubaitis/Venskus have signed pro contracts with Zalgiris while Jarumbauskas has signed with Rytas. I believe Giedraitis also has a pro contract in Spain, so that doesn't leave many names that could be worth "going hard after". Maybe someone a year younger than Arlauskas, from Zalgiris-2? Someone like...

... like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAELIocZ6U

I like that kid, name I heard was Kancleris. Any insight on him. Hear Tommy really likes him.

exclusivelee
06-24-2019, 06:38 AM
I like that kid, name I heard was Kancleris. Any insight on him. Hear Tommy really likes him.
Heard about Modestas Kancleris too. He played at the NBPA top 100 camp recently and turned 18 this month

https://youtu.be/l-0s6R-zfZk

Jstock12
06-24-2019, 07:06 AM

Interesting, I'm assuming it's Modestas Kancleris (18 year old) and not Nedas Kancleris (19 year old).

Modestas' stats from 2018-19 NKL (2nd Lithuanian league) season:
36 games, 20:36 minutes
6.9 ppg (58/22/51 shooting splits)
4.7 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.7 bpg

Stats from the U18 Euroleague tournament:
6 games, 26:20 minutes
13.2 ppg (49/27/57 shooting splits)
8.0 rpg, 1.3 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.2 bpg

I believe he had a huge growth spurt, he was a 6 foot shooting guard just a year or two ago.

caldwellzag
06-24-2019, 08:06 AM
Interesting, I'm assuming it's Modestas Kancleris (18 year old) and not Nedas Kancleris (19 year old).

Modestas' stats from 2018-19 NKL (2nd Lithuanian league) season:
36 games, 20:36 minutes
6.9 ppg (58/22/51 shooting splits)
4.7 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.7 bpg

Stats from the U18 Euroleague tournament:
6 games, 26:20 minutes
13.2 ppg (49/27/57 shooting splits)
8.0 rpg, 1.3 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.2 bpg

I believe he had a huge growth spurt, he was a 6 foot shooting guard just a year or two ago.

Correct Modestas. He looks solid and has lots of potential.

Zagdawg
06-24-2019, 08:11 AM
A bit older news-- but was standing out in 2017

2017 ADIDAS EUROCAMP: DAY TWO Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress Mike Schmitz @Mike_Schmitz Jun 10, 2017, 06:31 pm
Standing 6'7.25 in shoes with a 6'9 wingspan, Lithuanian forward Modestas Kancleris played quite a bit of point guard today showing impressive ball handling, vision, and jump shooting ability for his size and age. Already seeing minutes playing up with Zalgiris's junior teams, Kancleris appears to have a bright future as a do-it-all type who will likely continue to grow.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2017-adidas-eurocamp-day-two-6001/

gon2mt
06-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Who would be the seventh team. I only count 6. No USA

hooter73
06-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Australia (surprise) has two incoming Gaels 2019 U19 on their team, Alex Ducas and Kyle Bowen. Speculation is that both will see minutes as freshmen but who knows. RB is high on them. Of course, RB needs to be high on something (short joke).

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/av8xqM_c8yw/hqdefault.jpg

ZagNative
06-24-2019, 10:44 PM
From Twitter: https://twitter.com/SerbiaHoop/status/1143216739209158658

SerbiaHoop
‏ @SerbiaHoop

U19 Serbia ���� roster for U19 WC in Crete, Greece:

Uros Trifunovic
Ognjen Micovic
Pavle Kuzmanovic
Zoran Paunovic
Altin Islamovic
Aleksa Cubic
Luka Cerovina
Lazar Grbovic
Filip Petrusev
Dalibor Ilic
Marko Pecarski
Toma Vasiljevic

coach: Aleksandar Bucan

Jstock12
06-25-2019, 06:27 AM
Lithuanian U19 roster has been announced as well. Arlauskas made it.

Simas Jarumbauskas
Klaidas Metrikis
Domantas Vilys
Erikas Venskus
Justinas Ramanauskas
Nojus Mineikis
Matas Vaitkus
Giedrius Bergaudas
Martynas Arlauskas
Gertautas Urbonavičius
Dovydas Giedraitis
Rokas Jokubaitis

gon2mt
06-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Did Zakharov make the Russian roster? From what I could see I didn't see him listed.

Bogozags
06-25-2019, 01:22 PM
From Twitter: https://twitter.com/SerbiaHoop/status/1143216739209158658

Has Marko already turned pro or has he kept his options open?

What ever happened to that PG they had playing last season, did he go pro?

THANKS...

Jstock12
06-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Has Marko already turned pro or has he kept his options open?

What ever happened to that PG they had playing last season, did he go pro?

THANKS...

On September 25, 2017, Pecarski signed a three-year contract with Partizan from Belgrade.

ZagNative
06-27-2019, 02:56 PM
FIBA U-10 2019 website: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019

I've noted the following games from FIBA U19 featuring Zags on my schedule:

Note: Pavel Zakharov isn't listed on Russia's roster, so better ignore him. Also, I edited from my previous post to add Jalen Suggs, since so many here have their little Zag hearts set on him.

https://i.imgur.com/qCm2rcC.jpg

ZagNative
06-27-2019, 04:09 PM
From a story on FIBA's U-19 site (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-fiba-u19-basketball-world-cup-2019), "Everything you need to know about the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2019."

Game on for Gonzaga - Duo of NCAA champions

There will be dozens of players in Heraklion who played collegiately in the United States last season or will in the up-coming season. But two situations definitely stand out heading into the U19 World Cup. Australia guard Kody Stattmann helped the University of Virginia to win the NCAA title this past season while Argentina big man Francisco Caffaro was on the team as a red-shirt, meaning he practiced with the squad but did not play as he was recovering from an injury. The other school which will be watching the U19 World Cup very closely is Gonzaga University. Two players from the Zags' team last season made the All-Star Five of the FIBA U18 European Championship 2018 - Filip Petrusev of the champions Serbia and Joel Ayayi from the third-placed France side. But the Gonzaga fans will also get a glimpse of two in-coming freshmen for next season in Mali big man Oumar Ballo and Martynas Arlauskas of Lithuania. France and Serbia square off on July 2 in the final game of Group D in a re-match of the U18 European Semi-Finals - and a shot for Gonzaga redemption for Ayayi.

Zagdawg
06-28-2019, 08:04 AM
Final tune up for USA and Serbia

Steven Karr

@SKarrG0
9h9 hours ago
More Steven Karr Retweeted USABJNT
Filip Petrusev with 22 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists. Jalen Suggs with 11 points and the icing FT down the stretch.

This could very well be the gold medal match-up we get at the U19 World Cup.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/06/mu19-serbia-exhibition.aspx

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-28-2019, 08:40 AM
Great stats for Petrusev! The 4 assists is a nice surprise; facilitator from high post for Zags and their athletic guards cutting to the rim this season!!?

hooter73
06-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Awesome for Petrusev!

Zagdawg
06-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Can a mod please rename this thread title to something like "U19 World Cup" .

raise the zag
06-28-2019, 09:38 AM
Final tune up for USA and Serbia

Steven Karr

@SKarrG0
9h9 hours ago
More Steven Karr Retweeted USABJNT
Filip Petrusev with 22 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists. Jalen Suggs with 11 points and the icing FT down the stretch.

This could very well be the gold medal match-up we get at the U19 World Cup.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/06/mu19-serbia-exhibition.aspx

Versus the best players his age group in the US...and likely the World.

He was dominant in many areas, including drawing fouls with lotsa contact.

Petrusev development vs his teammate Pecarski is interesting. Pecarski was a Zag recruit for about a month before signing a professional contract. An excellent prospect in his own right, and a bit more aggressive, dominant last year.

Petrusev has more confidence, and more importantly better feel for the game, esp vs speed and superior athleticism like Team USA.

They both are seeking NBA opportunities, yet Petrusev might be elevating above Pecarski, who was once considered a better prospect.

Pecarski had some interest is going stateside for College, yet Petrusev went and did it, and it's clearly paying dividends.

Pecarski still view himself as the leader and "go to" player, as he attempted the most shots and forced numerous others.

It's a nice comparison to gauge these two, at the same stage, and see how Petrusevs time at Gonzaga is paying off.

One area of improvement/weakness, which plagued Petrusev last season is....weak hands. He has "soft hands" on the catch, yet very easily swiped, or pulled away by defenders or doubling guards. Or off offensive rebounds and out backs. It was mentioned during his HS scout/evaluation as a weakness and we saw it late last season once he was scouted. Well, it was a problem again vs Team USA on some possessions leading to a couple TO's as a result.

Petrusev is often our best scoring player and shooter in practice, yet his weak hands will hold him back vs double teams, taking advantage of offensive rebs/putbacks, hounding guards, and pressure.

It was my one concern last year with him, even in WCC play.

He does a solid job passing when pressured yet holding onto the ball in traffic or under the hoop is a clear concern for me.

Otherwise, I'm a big Petrusev fan. Always have been. Still feel he should have e garnered more PT down the stretch, esp given our mass exodus to the League.

His shooting, feel, touch, skill are blue chip. Lucky to have him on our side and as mentioned above, made a great decision coming to Gonzaga and the States to develop.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-29-2019, 03:52 AM
Watching Mali vs Latvia U19 game. Ballo, #11 based on web search, has not entered game w 3 minutes remaining in 1st half. Mali up 36-34. Have not seen any #11 on bench either though he may have warm up on.

Jstock12
06-29-2019, 03:55 AM
Watching Mali vs Latvia U19 game. Ballo, #11 based on web search, has not entered game w 3 minutes remaining in 1st half. Mali up 36-34. Have not seen any #11 on bench either though he may have warm up on.

Man what a tough matchup for Latvia. It looks like Mali's shooting guards have longer wingspans than Latvia's big men.

Jstock12
06-29-2019, 04:03 AM
Petrusev 9pts 3rebs in 6 minutes so far

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-29-2019, 04:38 AM
Man what a tough matchup for Latvia. It looks like Mali's shooting guards have longer wingspans than Latvia's big men.

Yeah, I like Mali guard #4.

raise the zag
06-29-2019, 05:54 AM
Petrusev 9pts 3rebs in 6 minutes so far

23 pts, 8 rebs, 2 blks in 20 mins of play today. 9/11 FG

He definitely plays as a true Center for them.

Jstock12
06-29-2019, 07:15 AM
Arlauskas' game starting in 30 minutes. It will be interesting to see how he deals with Senegal's length & athleticism.

OntZags
06-29-2019, 07:25 AM

Do you know why Ballo didn't play?

Imporessive win for Mali without him, though. Didn't Lithuania play super tight games against Latvia?

Also, Ayayi lighting up for France with a super efficient 23 points so far. He'll never be the PG at Gonzaga but I still think he's gonna be a rotation piece moving forward.

Jstock12
06-29-2019, 07:35 AM
Do you know why Ballo didn't play?

Imporessive win for Mali without him, though. Didn't Lithuania play super tight games against Latvia?

Also, Ayayi lighting up for France with a super efficient 23 points so far. He'll never be the PG at Gonzaga but I still think he's gonna be a rotation piece moving forward.

Yes, Lithuania had some very close exhibition games against them. It should be noted though that the game where Latvia won Lithuania didn't have their leaders (best Lithuanian player Sirvydis was/is absent due to getting drafted, and Jokubaitis/Venskus didn't play in that game). Also, Latvia is actually missing their best player, a legitimate NBA prospect, Arturs Zagars. He couldn't complete his injury rehab in time for this competition.

Jstock12
06-29-2019, 07:38 AM
Arlauskas' game link, Lithuania vs Senegal, starting in 7 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuJpIpwXD0c

zagsfanforlife
06-29-2019, 08:08 AM
Ut oh.. Why didn't Ballo play??

OCzag
06-29-2019, 08:11 AM
Thank you for the link. Caught 1st Qtr. Lithuania looks more skilled and is a better unit, but Senegal’s athleticism has bothered them. There was a stretch Senegal blocked every shot. If/Once Lithuania adjusts they could do well. A few pump fakes and jump stops could be helpful. I’m no basketball expert but it doesn’t look like Senegal runs an offense at all.

zagsfanforlife
06-29-2019, 08:40 AM
Petrusev had 23 points on 9/11 from the field. I watched that game. He was by far the most dominant player on the court vs China. I realize the competition isn't GREAT but he looked fantastic.

Ayayi had 27 points vs Puerto Rico today too, including some threes and fadeaway jumpers... how come we don't see this kid but every time he goes on the international stage he lights it up?

zagsfanforlife
06-29-2019, 09:33 AM
This thread needs a name change... lots of zags fans are interested in watching these games I'm sure but have no clue based on this thread title what this even is...

Jstock12
06-29-2019, 09:33 AM
Arlauskas didn't shoot well. Also made some mistakes on both ends. But he was active and hustling. Got 4 steals and 5 rebounds. He looked better than I thought he would against such a long and athletic team like Senegal. And he made a beautiful alley-oop dunk! :)

https://twitter.com/FIBA/status/1145002381337231363

OntZags
06-29-2019, 09:54 AM
Ayayi had 27 points vs Puerto Rico today too, including some threes and fadeaway jumpers... how come we don't see this kid but every time he goes on the international stage he lights it up?

You do have remember that most of these competitions (most of the teams anyhow) are fairly well below high major D1 calibre.

That said, he was only a freshman. And last seasons' team had a championship or bust mentality. Few was pretty intent on keeping the rotation tight for what he planned to use in the postseason. Even Petrusev got to next to no run once Tillie came back.

He has his faults, many of which are the type that make Few pull his hair out. A little loose with his handle and sometimes his feet moving faster than his head. I understand why he didn't get a lot PT last season.

That all said, the dude has talent. He gets downhill real quick and can obviously get out in transition. He was cutting nicely and moving well without the ball. His stroke isn't great but he seems to be an effective shooter nonetheless. He is still pretty slender of frame but he looks stronger. I was impressed by his nose for the ball battling for boards. Looks very versatile defensively.

I suspect Foster leaving was a pretty clear indication that Ayayi had surpassed him in the coaches books. I think he will get some real run this season with the opportunity to establish himself a rotation regular moving forward. It'd be nice to a continually improving upperclassmen guard in 2020 when that class lands.

OntZags
06-29-2019, 10:01 AM
Arlauskas didn't shoot well. Also made some mistakes on both ends. But he was active and hustling. Got 4 steals and 5 rebounds. He looked better than I thought he would against such a long and athletic team like Senegal. And he made a beautiful alley-oop dunk! :)

https://twitter.com/FIBA/status/1145002381337231363

I liked his game for the most part. Although he doesn't seem to necessarily excel in any one facet. Kind of a jack of all trades.

He's gonna have to really work on his shooting. Passed up on some open 3's and obviously his #'s coming back injury were quite poor there. He's gonna have to have a quality 3 point shot to be an effective player with GU.

My gut says he might be a redshirt this season based on the lineup, barring injuries. Won't get any run at the 3 with Kispert/Watson and Gilder/Ayayi will be in front of him at the 2. Could be a good chance for him to acclimate to NA, hit the weights hard and really work with the staff on developing his shot. His form isn't terrible by any stretch so I'm optimistic he can real develop his shooting.

ZagNative
06-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Suggs is #9 in white ...

Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/2906/USA-New-Zealand#tab=overview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouqk9BBr1Es

Jstock12
06-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Suggs is #9 in white ...

Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/2906/USA-New-Zealand#tab=overview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouqk9BBr1Es

Hey ZN! It would probably be a good idea to change the title of this thread to World Cup 2019 or something. Not sure if you have the power to do it, but maybe you know someone who can.

ZagNative
06-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Hey ZN! It would probably be a good idea to change the title of this thread to World Cup 2019 or something. Not sure if you have the power to do it, but maybe you know someone who can.A moderator would need to make that change, and there aren't any online right now. Maybe the next time one logs on he or she could change the thread title, as you suggest, since several people have suggested that be done.

gon2mt
06-29-2019, 11:50 AM
I think it's kind of cool that Arlauskas, Strawther, Petrusev, and Ayayi all started for their respective teams, as did Suggs. Also in terms of Arlauskas shooting he is recovering from injury and reportedly hasn't played much this past year. I thought he looked healthy. He really was affected by foul trouble in that game. I thought Strawther looked pretty good too. Ayayi is a puzzle. He always scores points but he is careless with the ball and almost seemed disinterested but I'm not any kind of expert. He didn't really play point in that game did he?

cggonzaga
06-29-2019, 11:55 AM
You do have remember that most of these competitions (most of the teams anyhow) are fairly well below high major D1 calibre.

That said, he was only a freshman. And last seasons' team had a championship or bust mentality. Few was pretty intent on keeping the rotation tight for what he planned to use in the postseason. Even Petrusev got to next to no run once Tillie came back.

He has his faults, many of which are the type that make Few pull his hair out. A little loose with his handle and sometimes his feet moving faster than his head. I understand why he didn't get a lot PT last season.

That all said, the dude has talent. He gets downhill real quick and can obviously get out in transition. He was cutting nicely and moving well without the ball. His stroke isn't great but he seems to be an effective shooter nonetheless. He is still pretty slender of frame but he looks stronger. I was impressed by his nose for the ball battling for boards. Looks very versatile defensively.

I suspect Foster leaving was a pretty clear indication that Ayayi had surpassed him in the coaches books. I think he will get some real run this season with the opportunity to establish himself a rotation regular moving forward. It'd be nice to a continually improving upperclassmen guard in 2020 when that class lands.

I agree with most of this. Ayayi was a redshirt freshman last season. Also, Foster left because of the incoming talent, not because Ayayi had necessarily surpassed him.

cggonzaga
06-29-2019, 11:58 AM
He didn't really play point in that game did he?

That’s because he’s not nor has ever been a pg.

OntZags
06-29-2019, 03:07 PM
I agree with most of this. Ayayi was a redshirt freshman last season. Also, Foster left because of the incoming talent, not because Ayayi had necessarily surpassed him.

I mean Foster started the season as the first guard off the bench in garbage time but by midseason Ayayi was. Caldwell had also said the staff favours Ayayi at this point which played a role in Foster's transfer.

You just have to watch that French replay to see that there is clearly things Ayayi is capable of that Foster isn't. Ayayi has a vastly higher ceiling.

gon2mt
06-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Thatís because heís not nor has ever been a pg.
So that's to say no one on the board has ever referred to ayayi in the context of a possible point for next year. Appreciate your clearing that up.8

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-30-2019, 04:38 AM
Mali down only 6 at the half vs Canada. Once again, no PT for Ballo. He is either nursing an injury or simply on this U19 national team to provide post player depth insurance. I would guess the former as these teams play like 5 games in 5 days or something so youíd think coaches would get everyone some minutes?

IDK. Ballo is so young; maybe good for he and Arlauskas to kill it together this season on the Zags redshirt squad? I know some have argued he is gone to NBA in 2-3 years so why RS, but he is a year younger than Rui was when he arrived. I think being out of the spotlight and just working on his game and school while banging vs Petrusev, Timmie, Zhakarov et al in practice may bea good thing for him.

http://http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/3006/Canada-Mali#tab=boxscore (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/3006/Canada-Mali#tab=boxscore)

OZZY
06-30-2019, 05:01 AM
Canada has come out in the second half and stunk the place out.

Too bad the defending FIBA champions of this age group are missing so many players from that team (well one in particular, RJ....)

Very little team play for Canada, the AAU does not prepare them well for this type of game. The Mali team playing very well...and deserved to win.

Jstock12
06-30-2019, 05:28 AM
Canada has come out in the second half and stunk the place out.

Too bad the defending FIBA champions of this age group are missing so many players from that team (well one in particular, RJ....)

I think both Barrett and Brazdeikis were their leaders. Huge loss for Canada.

Edit: oh nevermind, Brazdeikis is 20 already.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-30-2019, 05:38 AM
Mali beats Canada 71-70! Key big for Mali, #12, leaves w sprained ankle late in game.

OntZags
06-30-2019, 05:43 AM
Mali down only 6 at the half vs Canada. Once again, no PT for Ballo. He is either nursing an injury or simply on this U19 national team to provide post player depth insurance. I would guess the former as these teams play like 5 games in 5 days or something so you’d think coaches would get everyone some minutes?

IDK. Ballo is so young; maybe good for he and Arlauskas to kill it together this season on the Zags redshirt squad? I know some have argued he is gone to NBA in 2-3 years so why RS, but he is a year younger than Rui was when he arrived. I think being out of the spotlight and just working on his game and school while banging vs Petrusev, Timmie, Zhakarov et al in practice may bea good thing for him.

http://http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/3006/Canada-Mali#tab=boxscore (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/3006/Canada-Mali#tab=boxscore)

FIBA featured him in an article before the tourney so I would be shocked if we wasn't playing due to his place on the depth chart. Hopefully it's nothing serious if its an injury.

I really don't see much sense in a redshirt though. He's not gonna be at GU 5 years so I don't see much harm in him getting garbage time minutes ala Rui's freshman year. I could see Arlauskas redshirting though.

Jstock12
06-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Petrusev so dominant so far in this World Cup.

Zagdawg
06-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Serbia downs Puerto Rico 75-74

Petrusev leads team to win with 23 pts 10 boards and 3 blocks
Strawther leads his team with 22 pts and 6 boards

StatZag19
06-30-2019, 09:57 AM
https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1145367804335366146?s=19

False alarm everyone. Ballo just wasn't in Greece for whatever reason.

Oumar Ballo will play in Mali's 3rd game vs Australia on July 2 in #FIBAU19. He wasn't able to travel with his team, but Mali impressively won their first 2 group round games vs Canada & Latvia, and now they should be even better with incoming Gonzaga freshman @OumarBallo32

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-30-2019, 10:32 AM
https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1145367804335366146?s=19

False alarm everyone. Ballo just wasn't in Greece for whatever reason.

Oumar Ballo will play in Mali's 3rd game vs Australia on July 2 in #FIBAU19. He wasn't able to travel with his team, but Mali impressively won their first 2 group round games vs Canada & Latvia, and now they should be even better with incoming Gonzaga freshman @OumarBallo32

This is great news. Curious as to what caused him to not be able to travel with his team for this prestigious international tournament. Seems pretty odd.

Mali has already made a huge splash in this tourney going 2-0 and beating Canada. I’d love to see Ballo match up against Petrusev.

hooter73
06-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Glad to hear. Didn’t want to jinx it but I am really excited to see how he plays

OntZags
06-30-2019, 03:37 PM
This is great news. Curious as to what caused him to not be able to travel with his team for this prestigious international tournament. Seems pretty odd.

Mali has already made a huge splash in this tourney going 2-0 and beating Canada. I’d love to see Ballo match up against Petrusev.

It would be a lot of fun. If Mali with Ballo beats Australia and Ayayi's French can take out Serbia, they would be positioned to play each other in the quarters.

ZagNative
07-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Zags in the U19 July 2, 2019:

Puerto Rico 94 China 99, Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/China-Puerto-Rico#tab=boxscore) Strawther 35 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals, and a block

Serbia 85 France 76 Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/France-Serbia#tab=boxscore) Ayayi 35 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals; Petrusev: 18 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks

USA 87 Senegal 58 Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/Senegal-USA#tab=boxscore)Suggs 14 points, 4 assists, and 2 steals

Lithuania 75 New Zealand 77 Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/New-Zealand-Lithuania#tab=boxscore) Martynas Arlauskas 9 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, and a block

Mali 79 Australia 82 Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/Mali-Australia#tab=boxscore) Oumar Ballo 20 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 3 blocks

ZagNative
07-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Larry Weir's Press Box has a podcast up today involving Steve Karr of Slipper Still Fits discussing FIBA U-19: https://twitter.com/PressBoxSpokane/status/1146124761979768832

Edited to add: Karr is informative and entertaining as heck! Give him a listen.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-02-2019, 12:38 PM
Thanks ZN!

Nice first game for Ballo. Even jazz has gotta like his 8/9 from free throw line stat, unless the competition there also isn’t good enough to impress. :D

jazzdelmar
07-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Suggs signed?

Zags in the U19 July 2, 2019:

Puerto Rico 94 China 99, Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/China-Puerto-Rico#tab=boxscore) Strawther 35 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals, and a block

Serbia 85 France 76 Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/France-Serbia#tab=boxscore) Ayayi 35 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals; Petrusev: 18 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks

USA 87 Senegal 58 Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/Senegal-USA#tab=boxscore)Suggs 14 points, 4 assists, and 2 steals

Lithuania 75 New Zealand 77 Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/New-Zealand-Lithuania#tab=boxscore) Martynas Arlauskas 9 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, and a block

Mali 79 Australia 82 Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0207/Mali-Australia#tab=boxscore) Oumar Ballo 20 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 3 blocks

ZagNative
07-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Suggs signed?No, he hasn't signed. Just tracking his performance since so many Zags have tjeir fingers crossed that he will choose the Zags, as noted here: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?65808-Training-Camp-Participants-For-U19-World-Cup-Team&p=1469484#post1469484

ZagNative
07-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Zags playing on schedule for tomorrow: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019

https://i.imgur.com/dQrCp78.jpg

http://www.fiba.basketball/images.fiba.com/Graphic/3/2/F/1/w16hoqJEPU-Xohsx2K-DeQ.png?v=20190703012638022

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-02-2019, 06:08 PM
My Final Four picks:
Mali vs France
USA vs Serbia

OZZY
07-02-2019, 07:28 PM
My Final Four picks:
Mali vs France
USA vs Serbia

The only question in my mind is the Canada / France game...As has been mentioned in the other thread, Joel will be facing a couple of tough guards in Lawson and Mane.

The Canadians have been pretty inconsistent though....

OntZags
07-02-2019, 07:44 PM
The only question in my mind is the Canada / France game...As has been mentioned in the other thread, Joel will be facing a couple of tough guards in Lawson and Mane.

The Canadians have been pretty inconsistent though....

The Canadian frontcourt is... bad. I wouldn't be shocked if they can't handle the length of Senegal and get upset in the Rd of 16.

Mane/Lawson/Samuel is a strong trio but the team is lacking in depth and not very cohesive. (that AAU ball mentality unfortunately afflicts Canada basketball too these days) Canada has a punchers' chance if they are hot from three but my money is on France fairly comfortably.

Mali will be challenged by Argentina, too. (or P.R. if they pull off the upset which could happen. I'm actually almost convinced Puerto Rico threw versus China to avoid the American side bracket lol.)

Bogozags
07-03-2019, 04:35 AM
Thanks ZN!

Nice first game for Ballo. Even jazz has gotta like his 8/9 from free throw line stat, unless the competition there also isn’t good enough to impress. :D

Ballo shoots his free throws similarity to Mike Bibby (UCLA), who also shot them off center but had great success too!

jazzdelmar
07-03-2019, 04:55 AM
Jmo but I think it’s presumptuous if not inappropriate to list Suggs as a “Zag”. Surprised no mod has weighed in.

GoZags
07-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Suggs signed?

No '20 PSA has "signed". The "early" signing period for the 2020 class begins on November 13, 2019.

OntZags
07-03-2019, 07:41 AM
Jmo but I think it’s presumptuous if not inappropriate to list Suggs as a “Zag”. Surprised no mod has weighed in.

Jazzy Jazz lol. :) This isn't an official GU document. It's just a fan organizing things so we know where to look. Would you feel better if it said Zags and Zags POI?

jazzdelmar
07-03-2019, 07:47 AM
Jazzy Jazz lol. :) This isn't an official GU document. It's just a fan organizing things so we know where to look. Would you feel better if it said Zags and Zags POI?

Yes I would. True a public board but one replete with admonitions on what to say and what not to say. See pinned posts above.

Zagdawg
07-03-2019, 08:18 AM
Appreciate ZN taking the time to put this together for us. jazz can complain all he wants -- we still appreciate what ZN contributes to the board.

kitzbuel
07-03-2019, 09:10 AM

I hereby declare that Jalen Suggs is a recognized player of high interest for Gonzaga basketball fans and information about his performance in the FIBA U19 WC tournament maybe posted in this thread.

Zagdawg
07-03-2019, 09:21 AM
Thanks Kitz

Hoping he makes it official sooner rather than later.

vandalzag
07-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Jmo but I think itís presumptuous if not inappropriate to list Suggs as a ďZagĒ. Surprised no mod has weighed in.

https://i.imgflip.com/225zfm.jpg

ZagNative
07-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Summary of today's game performances for Zags:

USA 116 vs. Latvia 66, Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0307/USA-Latvia#tab=boxscorehttp://), Suggs 9 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals.
b
Mali 77 vs. New Zealand 62, Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0307/New-Zealand-Mali#tab=boxscore)Ballo 15 points, 17 rebounds, 3 assists, w steals, and 5 blocks.

Puerto Rico 77 Argentina 57, Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0307/Argentina-Puerto-Rico#tab=boxscore)Strawther 15 points and 10 rebounds.

Lithuania 91 vs. Australia 74, Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0307/Lithuania-Australia#tab=boxscore) Martynas Arlauskas 4 points, 3 rebounds, and an assist.

Serbia 87 vs. Phillipines 60, Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0307/Philippines-Serbia?jet_appversion=1#tab=boxscore)Petrusev 17 points, 8 rebounds, an assist, 3 steals, and a block.

France 77 vs. Greece 46, Box Score, (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0307/Greece-France#tab=boxscore)Ayayi 11 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, but 5 TOs.

ZagNative
07-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Zags coming up on July 5th in the quarter-finals: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/games#

3:00 AM - Mali vs. Puerto Rico

5:30 AM - Lithuania vs. Serbia

8:00 AM USA vs. Russia

10:30 AM France vs. Canada

jazzdelmar
07-03-2019, 02:39 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/225zfm.jpg

Bedding aside, I just think it’s prudent, if not advisable, for this board to not characterize the player as a Zag. Nothing to do with his talent or likelihood to commit to GU down the road.

ZagNative
07-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Interesting stat from Jim Meehan's piece on the Zags' performance at FIBA today (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jul/03/gonzagas-filip-petrusev-helps-keep-serbia-unbeaten/):

GU sophomore forward Filip Petrusev scored 17 points in just 17-plus minutes as Serbia remained unbeaten with an 87-60 victory Wednesday over Philippines.

Petrusev made 7 of 8 field-goal attempts and grabbed eight rebounds. He’s shooting 79.5% from the field through four games.

Zagdawg
07-03-2019, 02:56 PM
Very efficient scorer.

ZagNative
07-03-2019, 03:08 PM
About Suggs and the GU connection, there's this from an Evan Daniels piece (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Jalen-Suggs-Gonzaga-Minnesota-Marquette-Iowa-State-Iowa-Michigan-decision-timeline-133391726/) today:

RETE, Greece -- After winning Gold Medals with USA Basketball in 2017 and 2018, five-star guard Jalen Suggs is seeking his third first place finish with the USA Basketball u19 team.

Suggs, a 6-foot-4 combination guard, had his best game of the FIBA u19 World Cup on Tuesday, scoring 14 points on 4-for-10 shooting and tossing out four assists in a win over Senegal.

Through three games, Suggs is averaging 6.7 points, 2.3 assists and 2.0 rebounds a game. Suggs and USA Basketball start tournament play on Wednesday morning against Latvia.

Gonzaga, Minnesota and Iowa State sent assistant coaches to Greece to track Suggs' play.

How do you think you’ve played here?

I think I started off pretty slow. I think in the exhibition, I played real well. Definitely, in the opening pool play games I could have played a lot better. I think I was trying to force a lot and I wasn’t really letting the game come to me, and one big thing that I was taught not only by coaches but by my parents was just having fun with the game again. I was kind of taking it a bit too serious, putting a lot of pressure on myself and you know today, I came out relaxed and was just trying to enjoy the game and it showed, and I played a lot better. I slowed down, made the right reads, and I’m just continuing to grow.

How is your role different with this team than it is from other teams you’ve been on?
For USA, I’ve always been kind of the defensive stopper. As far as home, I kind of have the ball in my hands a lot, score, come off a lot of pick and rolls, but here, we also need great scorers and so many people that can create and Tyrese [Haliburton] is a great point guard. The way he sees the floor, you know he’s barely turned the ball over since he’s been here. He’s been great, so like I said I like having him with the ball in his hands, and I’ve kind of gotten to play off-ball, run off screens and get me more open for spot-up shots.

Who has prioritized you for basketball?
I would say Gonzaga has really prioritized me a lot. They’re definitely at the top of the charts, I talk to the coaching staff almost every day, I talk to Dom [Harris] and Julian [Strawther], who are two recruits who have committed there for 2020, almost every day. We’re best friends, I definitely think they’re at the top, and Marquette, Minnesota, Iowa State, Iowa, there’s a lot of schools. Michigan has really emerged, Juwan Howard has talked to me a lot recently. Those schools are still in it as well, so I don’t really have a definitive answer right now but coming soon I will for sure.

Have you thought about setting up any more visits?
I’ve talked to Dom [Harris] and Julian [Strawther], I think we’re all going to go on the same trip, we’re planning to go to the North Carolina game. I think we’re planning to go on the same weekend. We want to go to the North Carolina game, I’m not sure if that will work for everyone though, but we’re definitely going to get down there soon.

Worthington
07-03-2019, 03:20 PM
He talks about making his decision in August, and also mentions visiting for the North Carolina game... All signs point to yes.

ZagNative
07-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Be sure to vote for your fave in U19. Lots of Zags at the top of the rankings: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/news/fan-vote-who-deserves-to-be-named-fibau19-mvp

MDABE80
07-04-2019, 04:28 PM
Ayayi looks SO good in FIBA! He's really got to get these skills to the GU campus.

ZagNative
07-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Mali beats Puerto Rico 84-74 in the quarter-final game just concluded. Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0507/Mali-Puerto-Rico#tab=boxscore)

Oumar Ballo with 21 points, 17 rebounds, 2 steals, and 4 blocks

Julian Strawther with 12 points, 3 rebounds, and an assist.

http://www.fiba.basketball/api/img/graphic/2992f2d6-cb09-4cf6-9913-b5b59af08848/1000/1000?mt=.jpg

Coming up: Lithuania vs. Serbia at 5:30 AM.

ZagNative
07-05-2019, 05:42 AM
Lithuania vs. Serbia now under way. Box Score. (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0507/Lithuania-Serbia#tab=boxscore) I'm watching on ESPN+ ($5.43 per month)

Jstock12
07-05-2019, 05:43 AM
Lithuania vs. Serbia now under way. Box Score. (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0507/Lithuania-Serbia#tab=boxscore) I'm watching on ESPN+ ($5.43 per month)

Not sure if it's available in America, but the game is also streamed on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTYaSJZVnPk

ZagNative
07-05-2019, 05:52 AM
Not sure if it's available in America, but the game is also streamed on youtube.

Says it's not available in my country.

Lithuania leads it 28-20 at the end of the first quarter.

GoZags
07-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Bedding aside, I just think it’s prudent, if not advisable, for this board to not characterize the player as a Zag. Nothing to do with his talent or likelihood to commit to GU down the road.

The Appeal has been heard and it's unanimous (3-0) .... Judge Wapner, Judge Judy and Judge GoZags all go with Kitz's ruling.

I hereby declare that Jalen Suggs is a recognized player of high interest for Gonzaga basketball fans and information about his performance in the FIBA U19 WC tournament maybe posted in this thread.

ZagNative
07-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Boy, this Serbia-Lithuania game is a barn burner. Tied up at 79 in OT.

ZagNative
07-05-2019, 07:53 AM
Lithuania wins it 92-85 and will advance to the semis.

Petrusev with 16 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, and 10 turnovers(!).

Martynas Arlauskas with 8 points in 30:11, with 1 rebound, 2 assists, and 2 steals.

USA - Russia coming up in 10 minutes.

ZagNative
07-05-2019, 08:04 AM
USA-Russia underway. Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0507/USA-Russia#tab=boxscore)

OntZags
07-05-2019, 08:10 AM
USA-Russia underway. Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0507/USA-Russia#tab=boxscore)

Did anybody ever hear about why Zakharov isn't playing for Russia?

I have a hard time imagining he's not good enough to make it.

sittingon50
07-05-2019, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=ZagNative;1470657]Lithuania wins it 92-85 and will advance to the semis.

Petrusev with 16 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, and 10 turnovers(!).

QUOTE]

Hey, TRIPLE DOUBLE! ;)

Mantua
07-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Ayayi looks SO good in FIBA! He's really got to get these skills to the GU campus.

Todayís Game
Canada 80 v France 85
Ayayi led France in scoring game high 25 points, rebounds 8 and assists 7.

Who do we root for now?

USA or Lithuania?

Mali or France?

This is a difficult luxury.

jazzdelmar
07-06-2019, 03:32 AM
The Appeal has been heard and it's unanimous (3-0) .... Judge Wapner, Judge Judy and Judge GoZags all go with Kitz's ruling.

As long as the player doesn’t go the way of Judge Crater.

Therunner
07-06-2019, 06:23 AM
Ayayi was matched up and defended a ton by AJ Lawson, a Top-150 recruit and Sophomore at South Carolina.

Lawson averaged 13.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg his Freshman season, all freshman team in SEC. Known as a solid defender and held his own in a tough conference.

And Ayayi burned him on numerous occasions, even when doubled teamed by Canada's other guards.

There is no way Ayayi won't play next season, if not, then something is up. His mid range jump shot looks smooth, his 3pt is solid (not perfect), his floater is elite level, and his speed is extraordinary. Not to mention his passing/vision has emerged.

He could still use more strength/bulk, yet Ayayi could be competing for serious PT in the backcourt. Great to see.

Zagceo
07-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Suggs signed?

Home of Gonzaga HOPEFULS :lmao:

OntZags
07-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Ayayi was matched up and defended a ton by AJ Lawson, a Top-150 recruit and Sophomore at South Carolina.

Lawson averaged 13.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg his Freshman season, all freshman team in SEC. Known as a solid defender and held his own in a tough conference.

And Ayayi burned him on numerous occasions, even when doubled teamed by Canada's other guards.

The other Canadian guards are quality too. Mane is a possible 5 star with offers from Kansas among others. Brown is going to Cal. Neath is going to Wake. Squire only plays at UCDavis but a lot of that is him being undersized, not his athleticism.

That was legit high major opposition and Ayayi was clearly the best guard on the floor. I'm excited to see what he brings this season. If Gilder shows he can be the primary facilitator it wouldn't shock me to see Joel win a starting spot as he's a much better shooter than Woolridge.

JPtheBeasta
07-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Interesting stat from Jim Meehan's piece on the Zags' performance at FIBA today (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jul/03/gonzagas-filip-petrusev-helps-keep-serbia-unbeaten/):

79.5% is crazy good, even for that level of competition, in my opinion.

DixieZag
07-06-2019, 08:09 AM
This is one of the most surprising and wonderful threads of the summer. We knew our guys were great, but I don't know who could have predicted they'd have this kind of impact across the board.

And for Joel to emerge …. so many things "change" about this next season if he can be that type of player.

ZagNative
07-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Mali leading France now 32-26 3:16 in the second. Ballo with 16 and 5. Ayayi with 5 and 1.

Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0607/Mali-France#tab=boxscore)

I'm watching on ESPN+.

Jstock12
07-06-2019, 08:42 AM
Mali leading France now 32-26 3:16 in the second. Ballo with 16 and 5. Ayayi with 5 and 1.

Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0607/Mali-France#tab=boxscore)

I'm watching on ESPN+.

Awesome. If I'm not mistaken Mali is an ex-colony of France. So winning this game would probably be extra special for Mali.

OntZags
07-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Awesome. If I'm not mistaken Mali is an ex-colony of France. So winning this game would probably be extra special for Mali.

Yeah they were. Ballo speaks French too & mentioned having French speaking guys on Gonzaga was part of the appeal when he committed.

The announcers mentioned this would be the first time an African team made the finals of a major FIBA competition. I love Ayayi & want him to have a great second half but I gotta root for Mali and history here. :)

DixieZag
07-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Yeah they were. Ballo speaks French too & mentioned having French speaking guys on Gonzaga was part of the appeal when he committed.

The announcers mentioned this would be the first time an African team made the finals of a major FIBA competition. I love Ayayi & want him to have a great second half but I gotta root for Mali and history here. :)

If Mali somehow won, that would - in itself - be tremendous validation of Ballo's value as a player right now, never mind when he's 19-20, but leading a team this far, at this level, already is amazing.

ZagMan in Philly
07-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Ballo is a real deal. We got a sure fire lottery NBA player.

katman50
07-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Ballo is a real deal. We got a sure fire lottery NBA player.

Yep.

ZagNative
07-06-2019, 10:00 AM
So Mali moves on to the final wit a win over France 76-73.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Mali keeps their history making streak alive advancing to U19 championship game vs winner of USA vs Lithuania.

Ballo w 17 pts, 11 rbds, 4 blocks.

JPtheBeasta
07-06-2019, 10:25 AM
If Mali somehow won, that would - in itself - be tremendous validation of Ballo's value as a player right now, never mind when he's 19-20, but leading a team this far, at this level, already is amazing.

+1

It was awesome reading how GU already is family to him. I can’t wait to see him play in a Zag uni.

Goshzagit
07-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Mali keeps their history making streak alive advancing to U19 championship game vs winner of USA vs Lithuania.

Ballo w 17 pts, 11 rbds, 4 blocks.

Could Ballo win MVP of FIBA U19 at only 16?!

Likely candidate, yet he did miss their first 2 games.

Former MVP winners of FIBA U19:

Toni Kukoč -Yugoslavia
Andrei Kirilenko -Russia
Andrew Bogut -Australia
Mario Delaš -Croatia
Jonas Valančiūnas -Lithuania
Aaron Gordon -USA
Jalen Brunson -USA
RJ Barrett -Canada

ZagNative
07-06-2019, 10:32 AM
USA-Lithuania has tipped off.

Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0607/USA-Lithuania#|tab=boxscore)

Jstock12
07-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Yeah I'm afraid there's no chance Lithuania can beat USA :( It's not 2011 :D

Goshzagit
07-06-2019, 10:46 AM
USA-Lithuania has tipped off.

Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0607/USA-Lithuania#|tab=boxscore)

Suggs 4/20 from 3pt (20%) this Tourney thus far.

3pt shooting has never been his forte, so he will need to find a way to improve this area of his game.

His dunking, slashing, & athleticism are good to go.

Mantua
07-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Suggs with 6 steals and 4 fouls. I’ll take it.

Goshzagit
07-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Suggs with 6 steals and 4 fouls. Iíll take it.

His football mentality and experience helps his defense and driving the lane.

Very physical type of guard, and fearless taking to the hoop, or risking his body for a steal, tip out, etc.

MDABE80
07-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Gosh.you're in his neck of the woods. What are the Minnesotans saying about Suggs? DO they expect him to stay at home??

Zagdawg
07-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Going to be great to see how Ballo can work against the big men of USA.

bdmiller7
07-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Did anybody ever hear about why Zakharov isn't playing for Russia?

I have a hard time imagining he's not good enough to make it.

U18 Euro championship is later this month, maybe he's in that or maybe he's coming to spokane early. It didn't look like he tried out for the U19 team.

GoZags
07-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Some still have hope that he’s going to commit to the hometown team, but most are resigned to the fact that he is going to be a Zag:

This article makes it seem like he’s going to Gonzaga

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?51188-***ALL-THINGS-JALEN-SUGGS-THREAD***-UPDATED-9-22-Gophers-Offer-Scholarship/page36

Interesting that their "Jalen Suggs" thread (543 posts) began back in 2013.

ZagNative
07-07-2019, 10:30 AM
UA vs. Mali coming up in 5 minutes. I'll be watching on ESPN+ ($5.49 a month, cancel at any time.)

Box Score (http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/game/0707/USA-Mali#|tab=boxscore)

katman50
07-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Tight game, thus far. Go Mali!