PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Bulletin article re: Kennel Club

J-Lo
11-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Interesting read, interesting take:

Kennel Spirit Hung Over (http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2007/11/09/Sports/Kennel.Spirit.Hung.Over-3090139.shtml?reffeature=htmlemailedition)

ZagNut08
11-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Bad article, imo.

The board this year, for the most part...is class guys who put in their time waiting in line for front row seats their first few years.

House parties are no more, the social fee goes towards bar tabs for those 21+

Board members, from my experience in previous seasons, has always discouraged the "witch rhyme" after a foul. The brokeback cheer was started by a few people not in the board, and lasted about 10 seconds.

The author takes a very negative approach on summarizing the kennel club. I don't see anything wrong with a bunch of drunken college kids yelling at refs and opposing players, some can argue that is what has made the kennel club great over the years.

MedZag
11-08-2007, 09:57 PM
While I think the article is a bit more doom and gloom then the reality of the situation, it is definitely an interesting and accurate phenomenon that I observed at GU over the last four years. Part of it is simply the byproduct of basketball becoming a larger part of the social identity of the campus - people go to games now because everyone does and its the thing to do to socialize, not just to cheer the team. (Heck in the martin center there wasnt enough room into the student section to DO anything besides cheer since it was so over capacity)

Part of it is the university's fault. When they sued for the kennel club rights two (or three?) years past (using some pretty sketch tactics imo), they ousted the leadership from the group who truly cared about the club because without them it wouldnt exist. Back then, the next years leadership would be voted in by the board based on spirit, attendance, and knowledge of the team. They knew if they didnt pick right, the club could end, because it was only them keeping it going. Now board selection is more of a grandfathering expedition concerned with who you know and hang out with, and the club is not nearly as in danger of disappearing into obscurity, not only because the university is now financially invested in its identity, but because its also too engrained into campus culture.

I was lucky to experience kennel club back when it was done right, and when it was done right it was truly an amazing experience (yes, even the drunken sloppy keggers afterwards). Everything seemed much more focused on basketball, and cheering at the games was MUCH more coordinated.

Of course, its not fair to demonize this years KC board for the last couple years mistakes before they have a chance to show their stuff. Chris Haskin is a good dude who is truly passionate about Zags ball. I think he's smart enough to know the current status quo doesnt cut it and things can be better.

Symi81
11-08-2007, 11:09 PM
The KC has been experiencing a slow, drawn-out death for several years. Its not the KC board's fault the current undergrads dont have the same level energy that past KCs did. Gonzaga has changed, the students have changed, the program has changed and the arena has changed. Unfortunately its unlikely the KC could ever have the level of comradery that it did in past years - its just gotten too big and popular; and, frankly, the Universitys crackdown on off-campus KC parties probably hurts the comradery as well.

Its up to the new generation of undergrads to carry on the tradition. Its up to us alumni to provide guidance. Perhaps this article will help get them fired up. Peace.

Kennel Club - In Your Face Since 1984

st. al
11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
nicely done sandberg, while what you speak of is certainly not the unanimous opinion, but it is a shared feeling among at least some of us.

TimZag
11-09-2007, 01:07 AM
The pre-game KC parties have definitely lost attendance each year for the past 2, and since there are no more house parties, this year's will be smaller as well. If anything, the crowd has been more sober each year since I have been a student (as far as I can tell). The rowdiness and enthusiasm has gone down as well. Coincidence?

Does anybody seriously think that a student section is on top of its game when it's sober? Give me a break.

bayzag09
11-09-2007, 03:11 AM
The KC has been experiencing a slow, drawn-out death for several years. Its not the KC board's fault the current undergrads dont have the same level energy that past KCs did. Gonzaga has changed, the students have changed, the program has changed and the arena has changed. Unfortunately its unlikely the KC could ever have the level of comradery that it did in past years - its just gotten too big and popular; and, frankly, the Universitys crackdown on off-campus KC parties probably hurts the comradery as well.

Its up to the new generation of undergrads to carry on the tradition. Its up to us alumni to provide guidance. Perhaps this article will help get them fired up. Peace.

Haha I guess students have changed, we have actually been taught to spell words correctly. Aside from that, I believe the article has a point, yet it magnifies it to the max. People sometimes go drunk, but we have to get into the arena so early that by the time the game starts the buzz has all but faded away. No one I know is blacking out basketball games, a statement that is pretty ridiculous. As for the alumni thinking we're not as intense or "fired up" anymore, I would like for everyone to go watch last years UW game, along with tape of us vs St.Marys when we were losing. Tell us we have lost our strength.

JAGzag
11-09-2007, 03:40 AM
I would hate for this to be true; I certainly understand the opinions of the current Club members. From the perspective of past members, or those who have seen a noticable decline over the years, what is the problem and how can it be fixed? Having the best student section (and BB team) was one of the things that made GU great.

gonzagulous
11-09-2007, 05:26 AM
I would hate for this to be true; I certainly understand the opinions of the current Club members. From the perspective of past members, or those who have seen a noticable decline over the years, what is the problem and how can it be fixed? Having the best student section (and BB team) was one of the things that made GU great.

In my time as a student at GU, 2001-2005, the intensity of the student section went through a noticeable drop. I don't know why this happened, but there were a couple things I noticed that may have contributed to the decline.

The older students who were there my freshmen and sophomore years had been there for the rise of Gonzaga basketball, and were more passionate about the success of the program than kids coming in, whose expectations were much higher.

The other thing is that Kennel Club used to be directly responsible for firing the students up, not just at the game, but before and after. The Kennel Club president would send out emails railing us if we didn't cheer hard enough, and commending us if we had a particularly raucous game. That stopped during my time at GU.

The writer of the article comes down way too harsh on the whole drinking aspect - that always has been and always will be a large part of student sections at any college sporting event, whether it's GU basketball or Notre Dame football.

Zag By the Bay
11-09-2007, 06:37 AM

I concur with you 100%
Kennel Club 1988-91

former1dog
11-09-2007, 06:42 AM
It seems to me that the author of the article isn't terribly familiar with the history of the Kennel Club when making comment regarding drunken students and borderline abusive language within the cheers.

The KC I remember from the late 80's and early 90's was fueled on keggers and were known to throw some pretty caustic stuff towards the other team. A certain chant towards Gary Payton when Oregon State came to town comes to mind.

Of course, given the fact that those early days of the kennel club, membership was populated my baseball and rugby players, one shouldn't be surprised by these facts.

SteelCityZag
11-09-2007, 06:50 AM
The writer of the article comes down way too harsh on the whole drinking aspect - that always has been and always will be a large part of student sections at any college sporting event, whether it's GU basketball or Notre Dame football.

Good point, Zagulous.

There is a fine line between being drunk and clever (and ultimately pleasing to all age groups, as perhaps Kennel Clubs of the past have) and engaging in feckless frat boy behavior. Perhaps the author of the article should have made it more clear that the devolution of the former to the latter is the problem.

Zagpower
11-09-2007, 07:13 AM
As an old fart sitting across from the students, I'm certainly not seeing the revealing clothing being worn by the young ladies...All I see is full-size Kennel Club shirts.

Also, it would be interesting to hear the author's opinion on which student sections across the country do the best job. I'll bet most of them are often fueled by party loving fans.

I think the KC does a great job and agree with the poster that having to arrive so early to the game robs them of some of that enthusiasm.

lawzag
11-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Okay sorry, but I have to speak up here as an alum.

First of all, Gonza is right; the whole "drinking aspect" of student behavior has been a part of college sports' student sections for decades & is not likely to stop in the near future. I think Sandberg came down way too hard on the "drinking" issue in his article. The article seemed an effort at writing what is "PC", rather than what is actual KC history.

Second, I take exception to all these "frat boy" & "frat house" comments. Yes, many fraternities have a past reputation for being party houses & nothing more, but that is not the case anymore and hasn't been for several years. Fraternity members now do community service every single week, they participate in student government and contribute alot to the college environment.

Gonzaga doesn't have a Greek system, which leads me to believe that most of the people making these comments are speaking purely from stereotypes and certainly not from personal knowledge. So lets back off folks.

zagfan07
11-09-2007, 07:33 AM
This same author tried to interview me last year about the Kennel Club. I agreed to do the interview on the assumption that he was writing an article about the club, since we get about 4 or 5 requests a year. However, when I met with him, the interivew soon turned into an attack on me and the club. He kept bringing up a bunch of false rumors and allegations about how I had funded my spring break trip with the clubs money and paid my rent for a few months. All of which were completely false. I'm not sure if he has something against the club or is trying to get some publicity for himself, but many of his facts are wrong and the article doesn't belong in the bulletin.

As for the whole "frat boy" thing, I thought that the Kennel Club had always been known for it's raucus behavior. The language and chants have actually gotten less harsh since I arrived as a freshman in 2003, for the most part.

I was picked as a member of the board because of my love for Gonzaga basketball and I picked Chris Haskin and Luke Lavin because I had seen them in the front row for every home game since their freshman year. The core group of the club is still die hard Zag fans, but where I believe the problem is happens to be the second half of the people at the games. Those in the back of the student section are generally the more casual fans who go to games to be there and generally don't care about the team as much. They get into the games when UW or other high profile teams are in town, but they don't know anything about some of the conference matchups and could care less about those games because the teams we play aren't nationally recognized. There will always be a loyal following of true fans, but now with the increased publicity the school and university is receiving, there will be many more casual fans as well.

As for the drinking thing, I think it's better the kids are at a party before the game where they are meeting upper classmen and drinking in a controlled environment rather than sneaking booze into their dorm room and drinking there. The parties do provide alcohol, but they also provide a social experience where people are able to bridge the gap between class ranks and come together as members of the club.

former1dog
11-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Zagfan07,

You ought to write a rebuttal letter and send it to the Bulletin.

Rubbadub
11-09-2007, 07:46 AM
"Everybody Hates Steven Sandberg"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prGENDYPPt0

Uploaded by "Crossbones2005"..err...Steven Sandberg a while back.

devod
11-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Haha I guess students have changed, we have actually been taught to spell words correctly. Aside from that, I believe the article has a point, yet it magnifies it to the max. People sometimes go drunk, but we have to get into the arena so early that by the time the game starts the buzz has all but faded away. No one I know is blacking out basketball games, a statement that is pretty ridiculous. As for the alumni thinking we're not as intense or "fired up" anymore, I would like for everyone to go watch last years UW game, along with tape of us vs St.Marys when we were losing. Tell us we have lost our strength.

It's not about the pointing to a few instances. Past kennel clubs would bring the same level of energy virtually every game, UW or Montana. The peaks are impressive, but its about the sustained energy. Hell even the occasional NBA team gets their crowd pumped up.

Sorry guys, I am younger have never appreciated the "everything was better" back in the day line. But the past Kennel clubs were better. The current KC looks like they are waiting to be pumped up by the team. It should be (and always has been) the KC pumps the team up.

Psychozag
11-09-2007, 08:02 AM
This article seems to be harkening back to the good ol' days that may never have existed. Time always does that. Twenty years from now, these will be the good ol' days.

And fraternities are what they always have been...just read what Wazzu had to do recently because two different fraternities were fighting (including a broken jaw).

strawzag
11-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Past vs. Present aside i just really hope i hear something a little better then "Lets go Zags" over and over again this year!

ZigZag10
11-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Having the best student section (and BB team) was one of the things that made GU great.

Ever since Gonzaga has become a household name in the basketball world the school has continued to sell out each year, most recently with the cancellation of no pre or post kennel parties for the reasons that they might get sued. They might have got sued every year before so why not let the students have their traditional fun, its college for crying out loud. As mentioned earlier, what student sections is not on top of their game with a little beer in their bellies to fire them up before the game. With just a tab at the bars for 21+ before and after games, this leaves the underclassmen left out and a little bit of camaraderie is lost in the process. The unique camaraderie that once existed in the kennel has completly evaporated and is in a dire need for change. How about some pep-rallies in Cataldo the night before games to inform the "casual" fans on who were playing and what our current situation as a team is or as done in previous years send out e-mails to the fans hyping them up for each game and complmenting/criticizing them for thier performance as a crowd after eah game. As someone said before, it is the kennels job to pump the team up not the teams job to pump the kennel up. I would hate to see Gonzaga become an average student section with just an major name like gonzaga attached to it. The kennel klub is more then just putting on the t-shirt and calling yourself a fan, it is much more then that and that is what i think kids now-a-days fail to realize. THe Kennel Klub was what seperated itself from other small jesuit schools, it gave the students a chance to display their gonzaga pride and thaat is a tradition that i would hate to see disappear. I think that with a heads up towards the school and the kennel club board members we could vastly improve the student section and get it back to what it used to be...the loudest student section in the nation and a gym where opposing teams hated coming to, not necessarily because of the caliber of the players but because of the kraziness in the kennel.

-unhappy zags fan

Zag 77
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
I think that is the summary of what is being said. Hey, everybody knows that when a human being is loaded, he or she does stupider things like yell like a hyena at the refs and opponents. That is what makes for a good home crowd.

zagfan07
11-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Exactly right. Anyone ever notice why Saturday night games seem to be louder and more roudy than ones during the week? It's because the entire student section, except for the author of the article, is full of booze. It's not a bad thing to be drunk at the games, as long as no one is out of control.

The social scene at college is what makes it so great. Some people aren't into that, and that's fine, but they shouldn't be judging others for going out and having their version of a good time. For all of those past kennel club advocates, I assure you that we still know how to party and love Gonzaga basketball with a passion. :cheers:

gamagin
11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
good take. tns.

if the emporia state game indicates anything, to me it is that the KC has gotten tamer.

I love the raucus, noisy, funny, unifying way the Kennel Club adds youth and energy to the building. I am positive the players love it, too. It's not unusual for a player to high five the front row of the Kennel Club.

the player run the gauntlet through the KC at the beginning of the game. For Luck. and for support.

It's great to see. They LET IT ALL out. And good for all of them ! It's especially great to see as a fan.

Having been there since the beginning, I can say I've seen a few students who clearly had had a few pops. But there were no incidents I'd call embarassing, to the students or the school.

More like uncle Harry slipping in the living room. It happens. But it happens among friends. Allies. It's taken care of as it should be. And friends walk (not drive) their friend(s) home. It's all part of life. It's a war story of the future in the making, is the way I look at it. It's also reality.

There has been lots and lots of whoooping and hollering at K2 and it ought to be cherished.

I'd have to ask, where else would you want these fans to let loose ? The Cog ?

It wasn't as though much of this didn't happen against emporia state, but there were fewer cheerleaders, less cheer squads, and therefore les pomp and ceremony than before.

even the dancers seemed a little restrained. and their numbers were smaller, too. there used to be two different teams of dancers. they were sassy, happy and good. Sexy, too. I'm sure it's awful to have sexy coeds, but hey, I think GU should adjust. I know I'm willing.

I know it was just the first game. But if someone wants to tone this down, I protest. mightily. it needs to be turned UP, to meet the challenge of another great year. to include happy KC members. and rouse all those dead fans, too. the ones who are still resting from having written all those checks.

Last year there more cheerleaders and more cheers. they were louder. People stopped to watch and listen, laugh and cheer.

I would love to see more imagination, more energy and more fun eminate from that area. and the rest of K2.

Not less.

Less is for losers.

Northspokane
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
"less is for losers"
-Gamagin

Quote of the day, simple yet elegant

zagfan07
11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Last year there more cheerleaders and more cheers. they were louder. People stopped to watch and listen, laugh and cheer.

Thanks for the compliment about last year. We really tried to get everyone involved and make things as original as possible. Doing research on opposing teams (man boobs cheer started right here) and getting the younger fans acquainted with some of the staple cheers. However, with the university taking on an ever-growing administrative role, I think the club is doomed to lose its intensity and passion. I wish I could have been there in the 80's and 90's to see what it was like.

ZigZag10
11-09-2007, 11:35 AM
However, with the university taking on an ever-growing administrative role, I think the club is doomed to lose its intensity and passion. I wish I could have been there in the 80's and 90's to see what it was like.

I could not say it better ZagFan. I think the university needs to be made aware of this and changes need to be made accordingly. the beauty of the kennel klub was that is was a student oriented club for many years, it is not something that should not be monitored by the administration.

gamagin
11-09-2007, 12:29 PM
bring him back. Have him spell it out like he did back in the day. I'll donate the first $100 for his ticket back.

don't give up and don't let go. that is the student section. by and for students.

instead of caving in, turn it into a cause celebre'.

Think elwood. Think Jake. Watch the Blues brothers, again, for clues.

for e.g., analyze just who is attempting to do this/

Elwood: Illinois Nazis.
Jake: I hate Illinois Nazis.

now you've pinpointed who it is and who you hate . . . review this . . .

while standing at the entrance to the Triple Rock church watching the service with much dancing and Hallelujah choruses, a heavenly light shines down on Jake and he has an epiphany]
Jake: The band... the band...
Reverend Cleophus James: DO YOU SEE THE LIGHT?
Jake: THE BAND!
Reverend Cleophus James: DO YOU SEE THE LIGHT?
Elwood: What light?
Reverend Cleophus James: HAVE YOU SEEEEN THE LIGHT?
Jake: YES! YES! JaySUS H. TAP-DANCING keeRIST... I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

Next, you are going to need a band. to wit:

Donald 'Duck' Dunn: We had a band powerful enough to turn goat pi-s into gasoline.

a proper limit:

Jake: Uh, Bob, about the money for tonight.
Bob: Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer.

maybe a KC prayer.

Elwood: Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now.

and finally, a mission statement:

Elwood: We're on a mission from God.

Good luck.

cair3
11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
HAHAHA fear not. ok I haven't been to a game since 05-06 cuz i was in florence watching on a computer at 2am, but on sunday i will be back and people will cry.
haha im so pumped... I cant wait to be rude to the refs who are just trying to do their job, and to harass college students who are just trying to get a free education by playing a basketball game. And i dont feel bad at all because this is college basketball and i love it. will i be clever? probably not most of the time, but some of the time yes. Will I say stupid things that really dont make much sense? yes. Will I be rude and use profanity unnecessarily? absolutely.

Steve Sandberg, you are probably a great guy, I dont know, I dont know ya, but please sit far away because I do not want to offend you. I will be offensive. I did not like it when the whole crowd was yelling "you, you, you, you (word rhymes with whitch)" or when the whole crowd yells "bullship" after a bad call because there are kids in the crowd that don't want to hear that and they dont want that to be apart of their experience. But I was one of the few people that started adding the "witch" to the end of the chant because where we were sitting the only ones who could hear it were the players on the court and the few people sitting by us. Thats why there is a student section, so we can be seperated from the general public who want to be civilized fans. Did it get out of hand? probably, but what happend? we cut it out and it died down after we realized we had created a monster. I try to attack players and refs, bother them, get in their head, be studpid and have fun, I dont try to offend other (non student) fans, but you gotta be real, when you come to the kennel its not going to be nice, we arent gonna rattle someone with "go zags go". It might get ugly and I wont apologize for that. I wish you were not offended but I'm not trying to offend you Im trying to offend the other team. Remember when we rattled "ear job jensen" so bad he airballed his first 4 shots and we pounded UW, thats what the kennel club does. Remeber when travis "the DB pretty boy" from SCU came in to the kennle and we chanted "WHO SUCKS? TRAVIS SUCKS!" and then he proved us right by sucking all night long... priceless. Yes things get out of control and we get drunk and its ugly but after things go to far someone with common sense gets it under control. just dont try to nip it in the bud and take the fun out of it. Let it grow to the point that we are like wow that was nuts, then we will cut it back. Its a basketball game dont take it so seriously.

Montana is one of the better teams we play this year and they need to be harrassed, its time to go to work planning who to pick on. If we dont make it hostile then they might be confident enought to waltz in here and try and take one. NOT TODAY NOT EVER is that gonna happen.

And when danny "the fouler" cavic comes to town on january 22nd sit very far away from me cuz although danny may be a great guy in real life and probably would be my friend if i actually knew him; i have hated him ever since he tried to foul ammo all game and almost cried everytime a foul was called on him. as far as im concerned hes a dirty fouler and he is going to hear it, in not so nice terms. So sit very far away.

And sit far away every game cuz obviously we shouldnt sit next to eachother during games, im just not a nice person during games and i guess ill just have to deal with it when i die.

J-Lo
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
This article is by no means a new take. When "The Godfather" and I were running the club back in 03/04, the same attacks came out. Attacking the club has become an annual event, though this year it seems to have come a bit early.

Last week there was another article in the Bulletin regarding female board membership. One of the current board members (her name escapes me) was interviewed by the Bulletin for being the first woman to break into the "good old boys club" and that it was a constant battle for her to be allowed into that position.

My response the Bulletin (under "consideration" for reprinting in a subsequent issue) below. The point is that the Bulletin doesn't always get its facts straight when it comes to the Kennel Club.

David Lindsay--

I recently read an article in the online version of the Gonzaga Bulletin, and would like to ensure there is a correction made:

The article, titled "Women Admitted to Kennel Board," is incorrect in several respects. The primary correction I would like to have made, however, relates to the first women involved in Kennel Club.

While I can't speak to board membership for years prior to 2001, I can say this:

During the 2002-2003 basketball season, not only were there Kennel Club board members who were women, but the Co-President was a woman by the name of Jodi Elosi. Joe Dinges, then president, thought it best to bring women, who at the time made up approximately 55% of the student body, into the official leadership of the club. Jodi brought along with her several of her female friends (the names of whom currently escape me) as members of the board.

Moreover, during my tenure (2003-2004) we had a female board member by the name of Jamie Gustavson who served both proudly and capably in her role. In fact, Jamie was one of the most enthusiastic and involved members of our board during that year. She was instrumental in our public relations efforts; in ensuring consistent student support; and in leading the membership through example.

I understand that many of those who may believe there have never been women on the Kennel Club board were still in high school (or younger) when the women mentioned above were proudly representing the student body in one of the finest student organizations in the country. I bring these instances to your attention, not for the purpose of being a stickler for details, but rather to ensure that the fine job these women did in helping to run the club over the years is not forgotten.

Thank you for your time.

spkngrl
11-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I know this doesn't really have anything to do with there needing to be more cheerleaders, but two of the male cheerguys were forced to quit last week after gettin injured (both to their knees, I believe). I think with the loss of both these guys right before the game was a contributinig factor to the cheerleader's lacking. Had there been more cheerleaders overall the loss of both these guys wouldn't have been so evident. But, eh, just how I see it.

cair3
11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
correct me if im wrong but isnt last years president joe tomascheski a girl. I coulda swore joe was trying to go to the olympics for women weightlifting.

just kidding dont beat me up joe

zag944
11-09-2007, 03:03 PM
In time at the school (2002-6) I was relatively annoyed by the growing amount of first couple row seats "allocated" to the "members" of the KC. I can't imagine that there is more then 8 people on the board, and I can't imagine that there was more then a dozen or so people hosting parties for that game.
Made me feel bad for the fans that had to stand outside in the cold for 4+ hours that there was about 2 more rows then necessary given to so called VIPs.

sonuvazag
11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
The kennel klub is more then just putting on the t-shirt and calling yourself a fan, it is much more then that and that is what i think kids now-a-days fail to realize. THe Kennel Klub was what seperated itself from other small jesuit schools, it gave the students a chance to display their gonzaga pride and thaat is a tradition that i would hate to see disappear.

This is exactly the difference, in my experience. In 1996, at Santa Clara, they had a club, I bought a shirt as a Freshman, and when I went to the game, there was no student section organized around the fan club. No cheers, no parties to celebrate the games and the team, no clever taunting of opponents and officials. I basically quit going to games until 1999 when the Zags came to town and the game was on ESPN. Sure, it was the casual fans showing up and I had become one of em. And we got smoked by GU... so as I sat there, I realized, though I enjoyed the benefits of living in the Silicon Valley, as a basketball fan... how I could have had much more fun staying in Spokane... and I love Santa Clara, but I have no sympathy for the team being below the Gonzaga curve. No basketball spirit at Steve Nash's school??? Hope it changes.

BobZag
11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
HAHAHA fear not. ok I haven't been to a game since 05-06 cuz i was in florence watching on a computer at 2am, but on sunday i will be back and people will cry.
haha im so pumped... I cant wait to be rude to the refs who are just trying to do their job, and to harass college students who are just trying to get a free education by playing a basketball game. And i dont feel bad at all because this is college basketball and i love it. will i be clever? probably not most of the time, but some of the time yes. Will I say stupid things that really dont make much sense? yes. Will I be rude and use profanity unnecessarily? absolutely.

Steve Sandberg, you are probably a great guy, I dont know, I dont know ya, but please sit far away because I do not want to offend you. I will be offensive. I did not like it when the whole crowd was yelling "you, you, you, you (word rhymes with whitch)" or when the whole crowd yells "bullship" after a bad call because there are kids in the crowd that don't want to hear that and they dont want that to be apart of their experience. But I was one of the few people that started adding the "witch" to the end of the chant because where we were sitting the only ones who could hear it were the players on the court and the few people sitting by us. Thats why there is a student section, so we can be seperated from the general public who want to be civilized fans. Did it get out of hand? probably, but what happend? we cut it out and it died down after we realized we had created a monster. I try to attack players and refs, bother them, get in their head, be studpid and have fun, I dont try to offend other (non student) fans, but you gotta be real, when you come to the kennel its not going to be nice, we arent gonna rattle someone with "go zags go". It might get ugly and I wont apologize for that. I wish you were not offended but I'm not trying to offend you Im trying to offend the other team. Remember when we rattled "ear job jensen" so bad he airballed his first 4 shots and we pounded UW, thats what the kennel club does. Remeber when travis "the DB pretty boy" from SCU came in to the kennle and we chanted "WHO SUCKS? TRAVIS SUCKS!" and then he proved us right by sucking all night long... priceless. Yes things get out of control and we get drunk and its ugly but after things go to far someone with common sense gets it under control. just dont try to nip it in the bud and take the fun out of it. Let it grow to the point that we are like wow that was nuts, then we will cut it back. Its a basketball game dont take it so seriously.

Montana is one of the better teams we play this year and they need to be harrassed, its time to go to work planning who to pick on. If we dont make it hostile then they might be confident enought to waltz in here and try and take one. NOT TODAY NOT EVER is that gonna happen.

And when danny "the fouler" cavic comes to town on january 22nd sit very far away from me cuz although danny may be a great guy in real life and probably would be my friend if i actually knew him; i have hated him ever since he tried to foul ammo all game and almost cried everytime a foul was called on him. as far as im concerned hes a dirty fouler and he is going to hear it, in not so nice terms. So sit very far away.

And sit far away every game cuz obviously we shouldnt sit next to eachother during games, im just not a nice person during games and i guess ill just have to deal with it when i die.

http://www.auntycookie.com/home/auntycoo/public_html/Thumbs-Up.jpg
I hope there are hundreds more just like cair3. My man.

TheBeast
11-09-2007, 03:31 PM
This is a really long thread, and I have only read the first few posts, so forgive me if what I am typing has already been shared.
I graduated in '02 and have only been to one game on campus since then. I went to a game at the beginning of this year and I got chills walking into the MAC. We were there about a half hour or so before tip and the Kennel Club was already fired up. We sat above the Kennel, and it was nothing but a long strip of red shirts and frenetic energy. I was quite impressed with the club's spirit even though it wasn't necessarily the most important game of the season.
Oh, and complaining about the obnoxious behavior and the impaired people that make a scene etc. is nothing new. We had some heated debates on campus and in the Opinion section of the Bulletin ( :) ). My stance is, be noisy, get inside the opposing team's head, and have fun for God's sake. You're 18-22 (or 23, 24... etc) and enjoy going nuts at a basketball game because eventually you'll be in the nose-bleeds wishing you were young and dumb again.
As far as how the Kennel Club has changed over the years, when I was a freshman there were not that many people involved in it... a couple hundred maybe. By the time I graduated, there were over 1100 people in the club. In that time it went from pre-funking the games and calling it good to a core group pre-funking the games and then everyone would go to the after parties. My senior year was also the year the school put the Kennel Club in the commercials, which I loved of course, but in hindsight I guess it was a bad idea. That's pretty much the time I can pinpoint as the school beginning to lay claim to the club. Once the Kennel Club was officially recognized by the University by appearing in their commercials, that's when they had more incentive to get control and copyright it and put the name on sweatshirts and pint glasses, which is something I of course had wanted to do my senior year. That's a good chunk of change for the school to gain by selling t-shirts and other merch. Liability concerns + school's image + $ = GU controlled KC.
To sum up, things change, money money money, drunk, cheer, whine, complain, things change some more, complain some more, you kids have it easy, I had to walk uphill both ways to the keg.

Reborn
11-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Great article. I have only seen one game in K2 and I was NOT disappointed by the Kennel Club. I loved them. I watched them as much as the game, but it was against Idaho two years ago. The kids were absolutely nuts. AND FUNNY, and entertaining.

Yes...basketball as a game has changed. Even since '02. Life changes. Culture changes. The Zags, as has been said, no longer have the same identity they had in '99. But I will say one thing....we still have the same heart, and when it is all on the line the Real Zags will rise up....and this year will prove that...

TheBeast
11-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Past vs. Present aside i just really hope i hear something a little better then "Lets go Zags" over and over again this year!

Guess I had no reason to post. Strawzag has summed it up nicely.
CREATIVITY, PEOPLE!

Doktorkev
11-09-2007, 04:00 PM
I think that anybody who has spent some time at Leavey Center will tell you that by comparison the Kennel is tame. Im surprised they let Children into Santa Claras venue.

SandbergOnSports
11-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I am in no way going to be one of those writers who responds to people about his own writing, however, there is a point someone made earlier in this thread that I need address as being completely false.

[QUOTE=zagfan07;104178]This same author tried to interview me last year about the Kennel Club. I agreed to do the interview on the assumption that he was writing an article about the club, since we get about 4 or 5 requests a year. However, when I met with him, the interivew soon turned into an attack on me and the club. He kept bringing up a bunch of false rumors and allegations about how I had funded my spring break trip with the clubs money and paid my rent for a few months. All of which were completely false. I'm not sure if he has something against the club or is trying to get some publicity for himself, but many of his facts are wrong and the article doesn't belong in the bulletin.]

This statement is false. I never once interviewed anyone from the Kennel Club last year, least of all made an attack on them. Zagfan07 may have me confused with another writer, but I did not ever interview anyone from the Kennel Club regarding club funds or spring break trips. So to say that I have something against the club or that I am trying to get publicity at the expense of the club is false.

ZagNut08
11-09-2007, 05:37 PM
In time at the school (2002-6) I was relatively annoyed by the growing amount of first couple row seats "allocated" to the "members" of the KC. I can't imagine that there is more then 8 people on the board, and I can't imagine that there was more then a dozen or so people hosting parties for that game.
Made me feel bad for the fans that had to stand outside in the cold for 4+ hours that there was about 2 more rows then necessary given to so called VIPs.

GSBA gets two rows reserved on the front right (facing court). I have no idea why they get these seats. Kennel board I am fine saving seats for. But gsba, common.

bulldogshawn
11-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I've been pretty critical on these boards over the past few years regarding the Kennel Club and it's leadership. For the most part, I don't intend it to be negative, or hating or anything like that. Much more so I see great potential in what this group COULD do if it fully applied itself.

IMO, the BEST student section in the county is the University of Illinois Orange Krush. They bring a level of intensity that we quite honestly don't compete with. But they do a lot more than that, as well. Anytime you have a big group of students like this, you have a lot of power on campus. Think of the positive things the KC could do in Spokane if they applied themselves. What do you think would happen if the KC sent an email to the season ticket holders a few times a year, encouraging them to bring can foods for a food drive? I predict it would be a HUGE success for the club, the fans and most importantly the community. What if the KC sponsored basketball programs in schools in the city, there is a huge budget owned by this club and paid by the members, why not do something good with it?

Great video about Orange Krush: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGMfmGbq51Q

I'll likely be critical of the KC again this year, it's not intended to berate but to encourage. We are capable of MUCH more than we do right now, and there are people who know this and want to make it more. Let's take that step up to the next level - both of fandom and in community effectiveness.

As for this whole drinking debate, I have no problem with everyone being drunk at the games. It definitely helps with the intensity and that is what we are there for. However, I don't think it is right for the KC to be supplying that alcohol out of the general budget (do whatever you want from the "social club" budget). I've always been curious what the KC does with all that money. To give you an idea of the magnitude of this fund, students pay $15 for shirts, which cost $5 at most (have you seen all the ads?). That leaves $10 profit per student, and I would say they sell at least 2000 shirts per year (very conservative estimate, considering enrollment in 6000+ and I can count on 1 hand how many people I know who don't have a shirt for every year they've been here). That's at LEAST $20,000. Where does it go? What benefits do the members get from that? From what I've seen, almost nothing. Pizza during ticket distributions, but honestly is that the best way to spend the budget?

Zagpower
11-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Are you sure about those shirts only costing $5? I deal with the same printing companies and they charge at least $7.50 for any licensed GU T-shirt.

GDaleZag
11-10-2007, 09:26 AM
GSBA gets two rows reserved on the front right (facing court). I have no idea why they get these seats. Kennel board I am fine saving seats for. But gsba, common.

Agreed. At least the KC make shirts, organize ticket distribution, get everything organized, they have the responsibility of getting everyone pumped up, but what exactly does GSBA do to deserve the first 2 rows on the right?

zagpower, they cost $15, not $5.

And this article, imo, just sounds like a negative, bitter approach to the KC. Women wear revealing clothing to the games? im pretty sure everyone is wearing the same kennel club shirt and some sort of clothing to protect against the cold. "the basketball game was merely a distraction, something to take drunken pictures at before blacking out." This is a completely untrue statement. I've been going to games for the past 3 years (minus 1 in florence) and i've never seen people around me not into the game. granted, im usually in the front/middle and never have i ever seen anybody distracted because theyre too drunk. never. are people drunk? yes. are they so drunk theyre not even paying attention to the game? no and it is ridiculous to suggest that. if the basketball game is just a distraction then why are these drunk people waiting in line for hours and sitting in their seats 90 minutes before the game? to suggest a decline in the KC because of drinking is absurd. i bet you'd be hardpressed to find a student section in america that isnt drunk for games.

Are the chants a little out of hand sometimes? yes, but isnt that what we're there to do? we'll never get into someone's head chanting "go zags go". and if the KC has gone too far, are the chants not stomped out before the next home game? suggesting a decline in the kennel club is one's opinion (although how does he know we haven't come a long way since the 90's), but blaming it on drinking is ridiculous. If you want to rip on the kennel club because you don't like it, you're welcome to, but using drinking as the reason, find something better.

MedZag
11-10-2007, 10:01 AM

This is a new development. When I was on GSBA there were seats for the president and vice president, and maybe 1 or two more. Which is completely reasonable IMHO. But rows is rediculous.

gonzaiger
11-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I used to write for the paper, but I just didn't like the whole deal. It wasn't representative of the whole Gonzaga culture, just a fraction of them (a lot of them being uptight journalism majors). I'm not sure that the founder's would be disappointed with the current KC. The buzz around campus is huge for this years team. Sure the Kennel Club has a social aspect to it, BUT SO DO ALL OF SPORTS. My dream as a sports fan is to see a world cup match in england. They drink till they can't stand and yell until their throats need a spot of Earl Grey, but are they bad fans? People lose sight of the fact that college is supposed to be an experience, it's supposed to be loud, it's supposed to be offensive. If people didn't get offended by others in college, that means everyone was doing the exact same thing, doing it the exact same way and so on.
And as for all the former KC Members it's cool to know that you all are out there and still representing Gonzaga, but don't pretend you know what it's like nowadays. I don't know what it was like back then, but I know that as a student, it is something that I look forward to each year. If you don't like the atmosphere, you can watch it on tv at a reasonable volume level, but if you wanna get rowdy and scream until you feel light headed, I'll see you there. GO ZAGS!

RenoZag
11-10-2007, 02:57 PM
People lose sight of the fact that college is supposed to be an experience, it's supposed to be loud, it's supposed to be offensive. If people didn't get offended by others in college, that means everyone was doing the exact same thing, doing it the exact same way and so on.

Bingo !

Zagpower
11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
GDaleZag.

It was BDS that said the shirts cost $5 and sell for $15. I doubt your shirts cost $15 or the club would make nothing selling at $15 as well.

ZagNut08
11-10-2007, 03:39 PM
when a buddy of mine at the time made those yellow JP Batista shirts, he went through kimmel. By bringing in his own design, allowing kimmel to advertise on the sleave (like KC shirts) it cost $5 for a batch of 50. He was looking at doing a batch of 250 and the cost was just below $4 a piece. So, imagine how much 2000 shirts go for. Even if it is 5

2000*15 = 30,000
2000*5 = 10,000

20,000 left over...and how much do you think northen quest and papa johns pay for their ads. I would guess it is close to covering the costs.

Lets say the KC pays for 50 pizzas at every tickets distribution, at $5 a piece (assuming they are smart and do the 5 5 5 deal).

250$ per ticket distribution

and there are about 8 a year, for $2000 on pizza...where does the other $18,000 go???

I had some ideas for KC back in the day, but they never realy bothered to listen, but I think some of the money could be much better spent.

Two ideas (of the many) I have:
1. Buy space heaters for outside. GU originaly planned to have heaters outside for students waiting in line for seats, but the architect did not like the idea. Go to costco and buy a few space heaters for the fans out in line, won't break the bank. Since you have seats reserved, take them back to the KC house before games. I know the presidents this year know how cold it gets waiting at 8 am in line for a 9pm game
2. Get some sort of rope to form a line by the bulldog statue. If you want to make it a tradition to slap its head before going in, make the line start by the bulldog...then have ropes set up to lead you into the doors.

zagfan07
11-19-2007, 03:18 PM
correct me if im wrong but isnt last years president joe tomascheski a girl. I coulda swore joe was trying to go to the olympics for women weightlifting.

just kidding dont beat me up joe

I could powerclean 4 of you, Conor! Haha, keep up the rowdiness and offensive spirit, we owe it to the basketball team. I suggest the "manboobs" chant from last year for Samhan when St. Mary's comes to town, he didn't like that one too much. ;)

rennis
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
well since this was brought back from the dead I thought I would comment myself!

Will they continue to head down the current path, where parties and profanity currently define the Kennel Club, or will they realize what made the Kennel Club so important in the first place, the identity it gives to Gonzaga basketball?

Uh, I was in the KC back in the late 90s and I can tell you from personal experience that if the current KC isn't getting drunk and shouting obscenities at the opposing team, then they aren't following the standard set by KC members over the last two+ decades. In fact, if you aren't bringing a flask to the game, doing background checks on opposing players, finding out how bad their SAT scores are, and finding new ways to conjugate a multitude of 4 letter words, you aren't upholding the tradition of the KC.

You mean to tell me college kids are getting drunk before basketball games? And yelling and screaming? Oh noes! Next thing you know kids are going to watch TV past their bed times!

When did GU get a bunch of crybabies in the student body!?!

pbriz
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
So many good points made already but one more may be needed.

Our kennel club does a great job, the board, the students waiting in the cold, the spirit and energy but.......

other than the "Go Gonzaga, G-O-N-Z-A-G-A" we really dont have any chants that we can call our own. The spelling of the letters was one tradition that has seemed to die out but we really need our own traditions.

As we progress onto the national media we need to bring it with our own traditions.

See videos attached to see what i mean:

Kansas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4TyQTJIa3Y

UCLA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUDytwDq9J4&feature=related

Just a couple of examples to express my point. Tradition breeds excellence and thats what the Kennel Club needs to do at this point. (Zombie nation doesn't count!)

ZagNut08
11-19-2007, 07:17 PM
I know the group I sit with usualy does some research about the other team. Problem is, we are 4-5 rows back, tough to heckle hard in warmups and during the game from there...it needs to start with the kc board. I have always said, we should be able to find at least one good piece of dirt about the opposing teams starters/coaches. the board should have poster boards with specific chants to let the rest of the student body know. Having 20 people chant isnt as good as 1200

or...all gu emails the day before a game letting people know

kclubfounder
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I was there when it started - with 2 kegs and face-painting (which was required to drink the free beer for the 2 hours preceding the game). We got hammered. We were LOUD. We were OBNOXIOUS. And we had so much fun that we started doing it for every game - and slowly but surely more and more students wanted in on the action. The next thing you knew we had the best home court in the league. Then we had a name. The rest is history. But rest assured without 2 kegs of beer the club would never have been born.

The author of the article has a false impression of the club's founding fathers - I guarantee it.

former1dog
11-20-2007, 05:45 AM
The author of the article has a false impression of the club's founding fathers - I guarantee it.

There you have it, right from the horse's mouth.

Not like it was a big mystery anyway.

SintoZag
11-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Did anyone on here read the article from a few weeks ago, about how the KC "tried" to keep a woman of the board, and how she "had" to go to the Univeristy to get them to force the KC to let her on? I don't have the article anymore, but I posted it o nthe Foo a few weeks ago. I did not want to start a thread like this on here, but I did not get any takers on the Foo, so this might be the proper venue to talk about these two issues.

It almost appears like there is a concerted effort to write negative article about the KC. If I see one more, then I know it is happening.:mad:

former1dog
11-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I did not want to start a thread like this on here, but I did not get any takers on the Foo, so this might be the proper venue to talk about these two issues.

It was moved to the OCC where it garnered some discussion.

http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=6344

J-Lo
11-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Did anyone on here read the article from a few weeks ago, about how the KC "tried" to keep a woman of the board, and how she "had" to go to the Univeristy to get them to force the KC to let her on? I don't have the article anymore, but I posted it o nthe Foo a few weeks ago. I did not want to start a thread like this on here, but I did not get any takers on the Foo, so this might be the proper venue to talk about these two issues.

It almost appears like there is a concerted effort to write negative article about the KC. If I see one more, then I know it is happening.:mad:

Yeah, I saw that article a couple weeks back. I wrote to David Lindsay (the email I sent is in this thread on 11/9/2007). Various folks from the Bulletin were very quick to respond and promise both retraction and to print my letter, but, so far, nothing.:mad:

They really seem to have it in for the club this year.

SteeleMan
11-20-2007, 12:16 PM
BulldogShawn has some good suggestions to help the KC with any image problems they have or are perceived to have.

Has the KC ever had an advisory panel?

I have been going to games off and on since 1999 (when tickets found their way to me) and bought a season ticket for the first year in K2. For me, along with the players on the court, the Kennel Club has always been a highlight of the action and atmosphere of tha game. Maybe I haven't been watching as closely these past few years, but there doesn't seem to be that much changed. The KC section is a lot bigger in K2, but the chants seem to be the same.

I particularly enjoy it when the KC has chants directed at specific opposing players. We always enjoy listening closely trying to decipher what the chant is. Sometimes we get its meaning, and other times we don't. When we "get it" we have a great laugh and when we don't, it's just as good, because that let's us know the kids really did their homework and it's something that can really get under the player's skin (an inside joke).

As stated above, BulldogShawn has some good suggestions... I have one as well (whether the KC thinks it's good or not is another matter).

I have always been a bit envious of the students in the KC, as they are right on top of the action and into it for every minute of the game. I don't think I'm the only "old guy" that would relish in the chance to be a part of that for just one game.

What if the KC offered this chance to one person from the general audience per game? The KC could have representatives at the entrances prior to tip taking ticket stubs from those interested in being in a random drawing to take a spot in the KC for that game, first half or second half or ?. To be entered into the drawing you would have to make a "donation" of say $1 or $5 or $10, whichever makes best sense, to the KC which in turn will use the money for a charitable cause.

During the first timeout, the random drawing would take place in a visible area around the court, and an announcement would be made as to what section, row and seat # was pulled for Kennel Club Member of the Game. At that time, a few representatives from the KC would race to that seat and grab the lucky man or woman and take them down to their place in the KC.

Just an idea that may be a little bit selfish on my part. :)

zagfan07
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm not in the Kennel Club any more, but I remember during the WCC tourney championship game in '06 when Bob, (not sure if its the same BobZAG on this board) the guy who sits in the from row at half court continuously yelling at the refs during games, came down to the student section because the Zags were losing to LMU at half time and he felt we needed some extra help cheering. He ended up standing with me and the other members of the KC board for the 2nd half and we won on a missed layup as time expired. That was the game where Morrison ran into the stands and he was one of the ones helping me hoist him on our shoulders! His mug was all over the front page of various sports pages across the country the next day and I had a great time rooting with him.

I'm sure if you came down to the KC members before the game and asked, assuming the ushers would let you by, the guys would probably let you stand there for a while. I'm sure they'd let you at least heckle the opposing team during pregame, especially if you brought some good material. Zag fans are usually pretty inviting as long as you're a diehard fan. Maybe bribe the board with an invite to the bulldog club or something. I know that was one of my favorite places to hang out during half time.

bulldogshawn
11-20-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm not in the Kennel Club any more, but I remember during the WCC tourney championship game in '06 when Bob, (not sure if its the same BobZAG on this board) the guy who sits in the from row at half court continuously yelling at the refs during games, came down to the student section because the Zags were losing to LMU at half time and he felt we needed some extra help cheering. He ended up standing with me and the other members of the KC board for the 2nd half and we won on a missed layup as time expired. That was the game where Morrison ran into the stands and he was one of the ones helping me hoist him on our shoulders! His mug was all over the front page of various sports pages across the country the next day and I had a great time rooting with him.

I'm sure if you came down to the KC members before the game and asked, assuming the ushers would let you by, the guys would probably let you stand there for a while. I'm sure they'd let you at least heckle the opposing team during pregame, especially if you brought some good material. Zag fans are usually pretty inviting as long as you're a diehard fan. Maybe bribe the board with an invite to the bulldog club or something. I know that was one of my favorite places to hang out during half time.

That's not THE Bobzag, but "superfan" as we all call him has made more than 1 appearance in the front row over the past few years. Great guy, great fan.

skiptheskier
11-20-2007, 02:07 PM
It seems like there is a whole lot of misunderstanding going on with the KC. It goes both ways. Current members misunderstanding what the club used to be (as demonstrated by the articles) and former members misunderstanding the club's role today. The one thing that hasn't changed is the purpose of the club: to bring students together to support the basketball team. You can do this with 20 drunk baseball players or 2000 sober underclassmen. Just know that whoever runs the club in any given year is giving it their best shot and the direction of the club has more to do with the uncontrolable (to them) envirionment they work in.

It seems that a lot of people take the club more seriously than the board members do. Thats not saying that the boards do not put their full effort into what they do, but I just don't think they take themselves very seriously in that role. At least that is how thing were when I was there. We were all just having a great time, enjoyed being students, and downing a few before the games. And a few more after. The day KC presidents/board members have to start going to advisory council meetings will be a sad day.

A charity event or two every year would be a good idea, especially considering it sounds like board members don't have to wake up at the ass crack of dawn (for a college student) on Sundays to clean houses.

UberZagFan
11-20-2007, 02:10 PM
House parties are no more

What? No more KC pre-game house parties? First a dry campus and now this?

El Voce
11-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Skiptheskier -- Good to hear from you! In my opinion, the KC did a great job your senior year. You guys knew how to have fun and support the team at the same time.

Hope life is treating you well!

ZagNut08
11-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Steven just doesn't know what he is talking about. His articles seem to get worse and worse as the year goes on. This is his recent article...

http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2007/11/16/Sports/A.Conduct.Violation-3105966.shtml

zagmantis2001
11-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Once you take a spontaneous occurrence and put it under university supervision, create a board to run it and talk about advisory boards and this and that type of regulation, it really loses its original character. That is what the kennel club has really become now. But, based on the success of the program, that was pretty much inevitable.

zagmantis2001
11-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I read his new article online. An attempt at humor. A weak one, but an attempt.

BobZag
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Steven just doesn't know what he is talking about. His articles seem to get worse and worse as the year goes on. This is his recent article...

http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2007/11/16/Sports/A.Conduct.Violation-3105966.shtml

Blanchette, he isn't, nor ever will be... But it's satire. Nobody is that dumb. It's satire. ;)

kclubfounder
11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
My advise to this guy is to start drinking heavily.

MedZag
11-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Once you take a spontaneous occurrence and put it under university supervision, create a board to run it and talk about advisory boards and this and that type of regulation, it really loses its original character. That is what the kennel club has really become now. But, based on the success of the program, that was pretty much inevitable.

And there's the rub.