PDA

View Full Version : Tillie pulls out of combine

MDABE80
05-13-2019, 06:59 PM
posted elsewhere.

Zagceo
05-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Early entry players have until May 29 if they decide to pull out of the draft and return to school. Missing the combine erased an opportunity for Tillie to compete against the nation’s top players but the decision is understandable if he’s not able to put his best foot forward in front of NBA teams.

Tillie could still work out for NBA teams, if his ankle cooperates, leading up to the May 29 deadline.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/may/13/gonzagas-killian-tillie-pulls-out-of-nba-draft-com/

HenneZag
05-14-2019, 04:02 AM
I love Tillie, but the word is out how injury prone he is. Has a history prior to Gonzaga as well the last few years. I hope it's just fluke but it seems like a trend.

MileHigh
05-14-2019, 07:45 AM
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/may/13/gonzagas-killian-tillie-pulls-out-of-nba-draft-com/

Most agents tell players to miss the combines unless they are 100%. Josh did same (decided not to go) at G league Elite camp yesterday due to a nagging turf toe. He has been in LA for the last couple weeks working out with Sabonis and some other NBA guys and thats when the toe thing flared up. He has workouts scheduled in 3 cities with 3 different NBA teams over the next week and they thought resting the toe in preparation for those work outs was the best business decision.

gonstu
05-14-2019, 09:36 AM
the dreaded turf toe strikes again. I was at the Ariz tourney game in S.D. when zags got railroaded. Was fun to beat Marcus Smart and OSU the game before though. Best of luck to Josh.

CDC84
05-14-2019, 10:53 AM
I wonder if Killian just might hang it up. I feel horrible for the kid.

Kong-Kool-Aid
05-14-2019, 12:15 PM
I love Tillie, but the word is out how injury prone he is. Has a history prior to Gonzaga as well the last few years. I hope it's just fluke but it seems like a trend.

What connected sources have you gotten this information from?

former1dog
05-14-2019, 12:19 PM
What connected sources have you gotten this information from?

Unfortunately, Tillie's injury woes are public information. Tillie was injured prior to coming to Gonzaga. In fact, he was out for an entire year. Tillie then got injured (famously) just prior to our Sweet16 game in 2018 vs. Florida State. Then Tillie got injured at the start of this last season and missed a big chunk of the season. Then he got injured again after he came back and missed even more games. Most recently, he was injured while at a work out for an NBA team, not able to finish the work out.

MDABE80
05-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Could be. Great player and a better person.
I wonder if Killian just might hang it up. I feel horrible for the kid.

Zagdawg
05-14-2019, 01:34 PM
Jonathan Givony

Verified account

@DraftExpress
4m4 minutes ago
More
To recap:

Iowa State's Marial Shayok
Ole Miss's Terence Davis
Tulsa's Dequan Jeffries
Nevada's Cody Martin
Miami's Dewan Hernandez
UCF's Tacko Fall
Auburn's Jared Harper
Iowa's Tyler Cook
Syracuse's O'Shae Brissett
Mississippi State's Reggie Perry

Advance to the NBA Combine

DixieZag
05-14-2019, 05:48 PM
I feel like Tillie is the difference between hoping for a top 4 seed, and hoping for a seed. Though I think we'll eventually be just fine.

bballbeachbum
05-15-2019, 10:04 AM
I feel like Tillie is the difference between hoping for a top 4 seed, and hoping for a seed.

would like to agree with you, but the injury bug is a tough one to overcome, whether he stays or not. really sucks for him

bdmiller7
05-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me with the new draft rules? With Tillie pulling out of the combine, hes not eligible to return to school after the draft if he goes undrafted, right? He would have to withdraw at the earlier deadline or forgo his last year? If this has been covered and I missed it I apologize.

gonzagafan62
05-18-2019, 07:49 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me with the new draft rules? With Tillie pulling out of the combine, hes not eligible to return to school after the draft if he goes undrafted, right? He would have to withdraw at the earlier deadline or forgo his last year? If this has been covered and I missed it I apologize.

No he cannot go through draft. Deadline is May 28th or something. I don’t know exact date off top of my head

Mojo13
05-18-2019, 07:59 PM
No he cannot go through draft. Deadline is May 28th or something. I don’t know exact date off top of my head

May 29th.

I thought guys could go through the draft and return to school if undrafted - assuming they met certain criteria. Like didn’t take money from any agent. They have until 5pm the Monday after the draft to inform the school AD that they intend to return.

willandi
05-19-2019, 07:31 AM
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/nba-draft-ncaa-agent-rules-changes-explained

"Agents will be permitted to pay for meals and transportation for players and their families during the agent selection process and for meetings with pro teams, if changes are made to existing agent acts and state laws."

"Players can also now return to school after going undrafted without losing eligibility, but only if they participated in the NBA combine."

Thursday, June 20
2019 NBA draft

It could be that a grad transfer may become available after the draft on June 20, as a FYI.

gonzagafan62
05-19-2019, 08:34 AM
May 29th.

I thought guys could go through the draft and return to school if undrafted - assuming they met certain criteria. Like didnít take money from any agent. They have until 5pm the Monday after the draft to inform the school AD that they intend to return.

They can like willandi pointed out, but since Tillie did NOT participate in combine, that is no longer an option

realtydog
05-19-2019, 08:37 AM
They can like willandi pointed out, but since Tillie did NOT participate in combine, that is no longer an option

if he did not ...then coming back is still an option

gonzagafan62
05-19-2019, 08:45 AM
if he did not ...then coming back is still an option

Yes also correct, but I was referring to mojos comment where he stated he thought players could go through the draft undrafted. Tillie can’t do that. He now has his deadline

soccerdud
05-19-2019, 09:22 AM
[url]... "Players can also now return to school after going undrafted without losing eligibility, but only if they participated in the NBA combine..."

interesting to me that they base it on players attending, rather than being invited to, the combine. if you get injured: 1) your draft stock becomes more difficult to gauge, 2) you'll probably have to miss the combine. that seems like a weird group to specifically exclude from this benefit. makes me wonder if the wording was just poorly thought out? "invited" would seem to function equally well as a filter to limit the eligible group to those the NBA had expressed an interest in, which i understand to be the purpose of the clause.

bdmiller7
05-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info. Guess we'll know soon if Tillie is back or not.

zagbeliever
05-19-2019, 08:04 PM
These new rules are so confusing to me. It doesn't seem as if anything is set in stone. I'll just be glad when we hear something solid one way or the other. I REALLY hope Tillie and Filip both come back. I hope Killian takes the summer to heal his body. Our incoming class is going to be amazing but it would be nice to have the bonus of experience.

willandi
05-19-2019, 08:10 PM
interesting to me that they base it on players attending, rather than being invited to, the combine. if you get injured: 1) your draft stock becomes more difficult to gauge, 2) you'll probably have to miss the combine. that seems like a weird group to specifically exclude from this benefit. makes me wonder if the wording was just poorly thought out? "invited" would seem to function equally well as a filter to limit the eligible group to those the NBA had expressed an interest in, which i understand to be the purpose of the clause.

I agree. It should be based on the invite and not the attending.

Goshzagit
05-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Its odd we asked Norvell, point blank, what his draft intentions were, yet no one has asked Tillie yet?

DixieZag
05-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Its odd we asked Norvell, point blank, what his draft intentions were, yet no one has asked Tillie yet?

Maybe Tilli isn't sure what his intentions are just yet. That would be my guess - and it's just that. Plus, whatever he intended at the end of school, he then sprained an ankle at a workout, and was seen "limping around Spokane" since - so, if he had plans after the season, he would at least have to refigure those plans based on this injury, it would seem to me.

Just a guess.

Since there's no penalty for waiting, it seems smart to me to get as much information as possible.

With Zach, I guess his mind was made up and he had all the info he needed to make his mind up.

sylean
05-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Killian should do whats best for him......I don't know if that means another year at GU...although that would be wonderful.....

good luck to him in whatever he chooses....

raise the zag
05-23-2019, 06:18 AM
fwiw, Tillie is enrolled and actively participating in GU Summer Classes (session 1). He's also been on campus recently.

Norvell, Clarke, and Hachimura are no longer active as GU students.

Evidently, Killian is still interested in completing credits at GU. While Summer courses aren't nearly as demanding, they still take work/time/effort to complete.

If he was "100% locked in" as Norvell declared, its not very likely he'd be taking a couple classes while intensely preparing for the upcoming Draft.

Either way, its a sliver of hope, unlike the other 3...

GoZags
05-23-2019, 06:26 AM
Appreciate the scoop

fwiw, Tillie is enrolled and actively participating in GU Summer Classes (session 1). He's also been on campus recently.

Evidently, Killian is still interested in completing credits at GU. While Summer courses aren't nearly as demanding, they still take work/time/effort to complete.

If he was "100% locked in" as Norvell declared, its not very likely he'd be taking a couple classes while intensely preparing for the upcoming Draft.

Mr Vulture
05-23-2019, 08:28 AM

Interesting...he would have a huge opportunity to build his stock back up by returning. With that said, I will root for him if he decides to continue with the draft.

zagdontzig
05-23-2019, 08:38 AM
I also smell the possibility of some freshmen disgruntled at the prospects of their respective PT. We're stacked in the front court. *zips up fire suit*

ZagzKrak
05-23-2019, 09:45 AM
I also smell the possibility of some freshmen disgruntled at the prospects of their respective PT. We're stacked in the front court. *zips up fire suit*

Maybe that's why PZ was/is talking about being 2020 instead of 2019.

tinfoilzag
05-23-2019, 10:06 AM

Over the last 2 years, people behind Tillie on the depth chart have seen plenty of playing time.

zaguarxj
05-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Over the last 2 years, people behind Tillie on the depth chart have seen plenty of playing time.

Ouch...

jazzdelmar
05-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Hugely talented basketball player, would welcome him back in any capacity.

tinfoilzag
05-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Ouch...

I wasn't trying to take shots at Tillie as much as I was trying to illustrate what you would say to a kid you want in the program next season. Tillie doesn't play 30+ minutes a game due to lineups, foul trouble, and unfortunately, injuries. The coaches will remind the new guys of this and let them know they have to be engaged are ready to go.

Reborn
05-23-2019, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the news. I certaainly hope he is a Zag next year. It would really help the team. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Go Zags!!!

MileHigh
05-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the news. I certaainly hope he is a Zag next year. It would really help the team. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Go Zags!!!

NCAA requires that for a school to pay for room and board for a scholarship basketball player in the summer they have have to be enrolled in summer school.

Even if Tillie wasnt coming back, it makes sense from a financial standpoint for him to be enrolled in summer school.

MDABE80
05-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Love the kid. Hope he makes it back. Everything depends on his foot. So far we know nothing since his injury. I hope he can play. If he cannot play, I'm not sure what's in the cards for his academics/other scholarship support.. Maybe GZ/BZ might know. I don't remember this type of situation over the past 40 years or so.

LongIslandZagFan
05-23-2019, 01:18 PM
Can we PLEASE dial back the injury speculation? From everything I have ever read, it wasn't much more than a sprain... now we are on here speculating he'll never play again... well one poster said he would find a reason to not play next season. With every post it seems the speculation gets worse and worse... I am waiting for the post where he has become a double amputee.

vandalzag
05-23-2019, 01:29 PM
Can we PLEASE dial back the injury speculation? From everything I have ever read, it wasn't much more than a sprain... now we are on here speculating he'll never play again... well one poster said he would find a reason to not play next season. With every post it seems the speculation gets worse and worse... I am waiting for the post where he has become a double amputee.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ec/ecd02c7a9647596a100c125a51118b4b277c7a80fd733a605a 932e8292821eb5.jpg

Mr Vulture
05-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Maybe that's why PZ was/is talking about being 2020 instead of 2019.

Source? Never heard this before now.

CB4
05-23-2019, 03:23 PM
From Sam Vecenie at The Athletic (May 22, 2019):

Killian Tillie, Gonzaga: Tillie ended up having to withdraw from the combine. He suffered a sprained ankle at a workout with the Hawks prior to the combine. The feeling around the league is that, after a season where few evaluators got a chance to see him after he suffered multiple injuries, Tillie would do well to return to school unless he can get in front of executives to do more workouts prior to the May 29 deadline. Some teams are big fans of Tillie long-term, but he needs to find a way to stay healthy after such a tough year.

https://theathletic.com/984128/2019/05/22/vecenies-draft-combine-takeaways-who-opened-eyes-whos-on-the-fence-and-whats-up-with-bol-bol/

ZagzKrak
05-23-2019, 03:27 PM

It was in the Whelpling forum somewhere...people were asking if he could do that since he had already signed his LOI. Someone with better searching skills then me might be able to point you to the correct thread.

tenniszag
05-23-2019, 03:41 PM
NCAA requires that for a school to pay for room and board for a scholarship basketball player in the summer they have have to be enrolled in summer school.

Even if Tillie wasnt coming back, it makes sense from a financial standpoint for him to be enrolled in summer school.

Thanks Milehigh and good stuff. Have you heard if heís made a decision or if heís leaning one direction over the other?

willandi
05-23-2019, 03:43 PM

It was in the Whelpling forum somewhere...people were asking if he could do that since he had already signed his LOI. Someone with better searching skills then me might be able to point you to the correct thread.

It was speculation and I remember it as being shot down immediately.

SunDevilGolfZag
05-23-2019, 07:14 PM
Hugely talented basketball player, would welcome him back in any capacity.

Yup, a certain Wooden front runner if healthy all year

DixieZag
05-23-2019, 07:22 PM
Yup, a certain Wooden front runner if healthy all year

Absolutely everything is different about next year if a healthy Tillie plays next year.

JPtheBeasta
05-23-2019, 08:46 PM
At the expense of sounding trite, I still want what is best for Tillie. I certainly think he would be a great keeper for next year and would be in a great position to provide mentorship and leadership to the new guys. One of my biggest concerns with all of the guys leaving is, who will show the next iteration of Zags the Gonzaga way? This can be done in sort by the coaches but I feel that you really need players to help pass down the team culture and program legacy.

IowaSERE
05-24-2019, 03:23 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm ready to move on from Tillie and Zack as well. Both of them can win you games, but also either totally dissappear, or shoot you out of games. I'm excited about our new guys

jazzdelmar
05-24-2019, 04:08 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm ready to move on from Tillie and Zack as well. Both of them can win you games, but also either totally dissappear, or shoot you out of games. I'm excited about our new guys

That's your right, of course, but I don't paint both of them with that particular brush. Tils does so much more on the court than shoot, and his BB IQ is very high. if anything, like Josh was, he's too unselfish. Just MO.

LongIslandZagFan
05-24-2019, 04:15 AM

SMDH

exclusivelee
05-24-2019, 04:28 AM
Maybe that's why PZ was/is talking about being 2020 instead of 2019.Who is PZ?

TexasZagFan
05-24-2019, 07:18 AM
At the expense of sounding trite, I still want what is best for Tillie. I certainly think he would be a great keeper for next year and would be in a great position to provide mentorship and leadership to the new guys. One of my biggest concerns with all of the guys leaving is, who will show the next iteration of Zags the Gonzaga way? This can be done in sort by the coaches but I feel that you really need players to help pass down the team culture and program legacy.

Corey gets my vote for the torch carrier if Killian doesn't return. Should Killian return, IMO it's his team next year.

TexasZagFan
05-24-2019, 07:23 AM

That's also the rap against James Harden, who is noted for his disappearing acts on the biggest stage.

I'm excited about our new players, but Killian playing next year will be huge. To me, it means going from a year of transition with a Sweet 16 ceiling, to a potential top 10 team.

strikenowhere
05-24-2019, 07:24 AM
Who is PZ?

Zakharov maybe?

strikenowhere
05-24-2019, 07:25 AM

When did Tillie ever shoot the team out of a game?

TexasZagFan
05-24-2019, 07:29 AM

That's a question for James Holzhauer… :lmao:

IowaSERE
05-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Never that I can recall.

raise the zag
05-24-2019, 08:49 AM

If anything, he didnt shoot nearly enough!

From Game 1 of WCC Tourney thru the Elite 8 game, Killian went 8-12 from 3pt.

67% from 3pt over 6 games when it mattered most.

Heck, I'd like to see Tillie shoot 12 shots in a single game.

sittingon50
05-24-2019, 09:51 AM

Both potential WCC POY candidates (IMO). Based on that, it would seem they show up more than they disappear.

scott257
05-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Honestly I just hope he can play healthy at what ever level he ends up at. If he comes back we should consider it a gift because healthy he would be as good as anyone. I remember those WCC tournament games and they were incredible to watch.

Zagdawg
05-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Nothing is official until Tillie says it is.....

Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
56s57 seconds ago
More
Gonzaga’s Killian Tillie is expected to return to school, source told @Stadium. HUGE news for the Zags. If he can stay healthy, could be a guy who moves into first-round lock conversation a year from now.

webspinnre
05-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Nothing is official until Tillie says it is.....

Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
56s57 seconds ago
More
Gonzaga’s Killian Tillie is expected to return to school, source told @Stadium. HUGE news for the Zags. If he can stay healthy, could be a guy who moves into first-round lock conversation a year from now.

Still, good to have what we're expecting reinforced. Here's hoping!