PDA

View Full Version : Derryck Thornton Thread v2.0

thespywhozaggedme
05-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Everyone knows how I feel, so I pledge to not say one negative thing about him. You have my word. I respect the heck out of Caldwell. If he becomes a Zag I will cheer my head off for him, like every Zag. He is visiting Boston college today.

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
Source: USC grad transfer Derryck Thornton will visit Boston College today. Also expected to visit Gonzaga and St. John's. Auburn and Texas Tech also in the mix. Immediately eligible. #SJUBB

10:27 AM - May 13, 2019

willandi
05-13-2019, 12:01 PM
I am not in the loop, but my impression is that Nix may be the Zags first option, if things can be worked out, and Thornton is plan B.

I also would assume that if Thornton had been offered, he would have accepted.

There is also that 95% that we, the general fan, know nothing about...the proverbial 'Rabbit in the hat".

ZagsObserver
05-13-2019, 12:07 PM
I’m not sure why, as mere fans, we’d surmise that we know better than the coaches on this matter. Go Zags. Go Thornton. And if it’s a match, awesome. Let’s make 2019-20 more than just a “transition” year.

While I didn’t post in the previous thread, you are doing a fantastic job, Caldwell. Thanks for your service (and patience).

GLJake
05-13-2019, 12:47 PM
As a longtime lurker I would ask 'Spy' to consider two areas that might be turnoffs to fellow board members.

1) Quality over quantity(minimize dead horse beating)

2) Regularly needing to have the last word can be very annoying.

Thanks to caldwellzag...This recruiting forum has been a great addition to the GU boards.

thespywhozaggedme
05-13-2019, 01:15 PM
As a longtime lurker I would ask 'Spy' to consider two areas that might be turnoffs to fellow board members.

Thanks to caldwellzag...This recruiting forum has been a great addition to the GU boards.

A. I didn't ask for your opinion. Unsolicited advice is as equally annoying as overposting.
B. We have an ignore feature.
C. You're doing exactly what I addressed in the last thread that was closed, making it about a poster instead of the topic. Please do not derail this thread and make it about me or anyone else, let's keep it on topic; Derryck Thornton. Thanks
D. At the end of the day, we're all Zags fans. Let's try to remember that.

caldwellzag
05-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Guys we have private messaging if you want to give someone some advice or talk to them. This thread needs to stay about Thorton. I closed the other one already and don't want to do it again.

I appreciate everyone's passion for the Zags!

TheOtherGreatOne
05-13-2019, 01:33 PM
I will not say anything bad about Thornton, but I will say this, I hope he goes to one of these other schools.

Markburn1
05-13-2019, 02:00 PM
This country has always been magnanimous in offering people a second chance. As has the Zags program. Thornton has a lot to prove and if he does it here without jeopardizing other recruiting avenues it will be a coup for the coaching staff. Never give up on talent. I’ve seen the light turn on for kids way too many times after being put in the right situation at the right time. If the staff believes him to be an asset, I’m inclined to give him his third chance.

Mr Vulture
05-13-2019, 02:34 PM
The reasons I like the idea of Thornton, and why I think he would really help this team, are based on what he is. Everything that I've read outside of this site says that he has the ability to get the team into their offensive sets and distribute the ball. I also am of the understanding that he takes care of the ball. When I look at this roster, he seems like a very good fit in that respect. I understand that he is not a good shooter, but what I think he does is give us a very experienced backcourt that has played a lot of P6 basketball. I also think that combining him with Gilder gives us what could be a very strong defensive backcourt that could cause problems in that respect. Finally, I think that we then have the ability to spot Ravet into the backcourt rotation at both spots as he adapts to college ball. For me, I would be very happy with Thornton joining the program.

Now, I'm not saying I prefer him over Nix. Obviously Nix would be at GU for two years at a minimum, if he reclassified and committed, which is always better than a one year guy. I'm just saying that I can see positives in Thornton joining the team and helping us transition to the next year's group. One other thing that I like about having two guys, Gilder and Thorton, that have experience distributing the ball is that I think it helps our class of kids arriving this year. Without players that can effectively lead and distribute the ball, it's going to hurt the development of the other players IMO.

I'm not aware of any attitude issues with Thornton so can't really respond to the posts about "second chances" or "fit". I can say that, as I always do, I will defer to the coaching staff as to whether he fits the culture at Gonzaga.

Markburn1
05-13-2019, 04:42 PM
"I'm not aware of any attitude issues with Thornton so can't really respond to the posts about "second chances..."

Just to be clear, the second chance I was referring to is from a basketball perspective.

zagsfanforlife
05-13-2019, 05:10 PM
The reasons I like the idea of Thornton, and why I think he would really help this team, are based on what he is. Everything that I've read outside of this site says that he has the ability to get the team into their offensive sets and distribute the ball. I also am of the understanding that he takes care of the ball. When I look at this roster, he seems like a very good fit in that respect. I understand that he is not a good shooter, but what I think he does is give us a very experienced backcourt that has played a lot of P6 basketball. I also think that combining him with Gilder gives us what could be a very strong defensive backcourt that could cause problems in that respect. Finally, I think that we then have the ability to spot Ravet into the backcourt rotation at both spots as he adapts to college ball. For me, I would be very happy with Thornton joining the program.

Now, I'm not saying I prefer him over Nix. Obviously Nix would be at GU for two years at a minimum, if he reclassified and committed, which is always better than a one year guy. I'm just saying that I can see positives in Thornton joining the team and helping us transition to the next year's group. One other thing that I like about having two guys, Gilder and Thorton, that have experience distributing the ball is that I think it helps our class of kids arriving this year. Without players that can effectively lead and distribute the ball, it's going to hurt the development of the other players IMO.

I'm not aware of any attitude issues with Thornton so can't really respond to the posts about "second chances" or "fit". I can say that, as I always do, I will defer to the coaching staff as to whether he fits the culture at Gonzaga.

Exactly how i feel. I see this in no way HURTING ravet's development. A freshman pg doesnt need to start from day 1. Learning from Gilder and Thornton, two older very experienced guys, and still being able to be instant offense and playmaking off the bench can only help Brock.

strikenowhere
05-14-2019, 05:38 AM
Exactly how i feel. I see this in no way HURTING ravet's development. A freshman pg doesnt need to start from day 1. Learning from Gilder and Thornton, two older very experienced guys, and still being able to be instant offense and playmaking off the bench can only help Brock.

I don't have any issue with this, but doesn't it seem like Ravet is getting recruited over a bit? First with the grad transfers and/or Nix, then followed by Suggs the following year.

bigblahla
05-14-2019, 05:59 AM
I don't have any issue with this, but doesn't it seem like Ravet is getting recruited over a bit? First with the grad transfers and/or Nix, then followed by Suggs the following year.

Cream rises to the Top.... Brock Ravet will determine his PT....

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2019, 06:24 AM
Cream rises to the Top.... Brock Ravet will determine his PT....

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

I agree with this, with the caveat that everyone is given a fair shot. Plus when Suggs and Ravet went head to head for the only time, Ravet had the far superior game.

cjm720
05-14-2019, 09:31 AM
I agree with this, with the caveat that everyone is given a fair shot. Plus when Suggs and Ravet went head to head for the only time, Ravet had the far superior game.

Link? That’s pretty cool....

Mr Vulture
05-14-2019, 09:45 AM

I don't really see it as Ravet being recruited over. Right now we really only have Ravet and Gilder for this year. Both Gilder and Thornton would be one year guys so neither really affects Ravet long term and we'd need three guys this year anyway. If we got Nix, we wouldn't likely bring in Thornton so that seems an one or the other situation if we even get one of them. If we are lucky enough to get Nix this year and Suggs for next year, to go with Davis, there would still be opportunity for all to play in rotation.

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2019, 09:50 AM

Someone posted a video of the game in a different thread, may be the Suggs thread. They played against one another last year on the AAU circuit; Suggs had 13points and 3 assists and Ravet went off for 27/8 and on the video, you can hear a woman off camera saying, "someone better guard that guy hitting all of those shots" talking about Ravet. lol

dnj116
05-14-2019, 09:56 AM

Here's the link to the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOfiNYXLhDo) on youtube and here's the link to the post in the men's basketball forum (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?65559-The-Answer-at-PG-Brock-Ravet&p=1463216#post1463216) that I first saw it identified. Suggs's game against Washington Supreme is around the 9:40 point of the video.

cggonzaga
05-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Not at all. March is for guards. We need as many as we can get. Ravet isn’t afraid of the competition.

amaronizag
05-14-2019, 10:40 AM
If the goal is to win a national title, then we need to pile on talent as deep as possible. If recruits want the chance to win a national title, then they have to commit to GU, contribute to the team effort as best they can, and be happy to get the exposure that gives each individual team member. It's up to each recruit to step up to the task and perform. Nothing is given. Everything is earned.

Zagdawg
05-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
33s33 seconds ago
More
Source: USC grad transfer Derryck Thornton will visit Gonzaga from May 28-30th. Also plans to visit St. John's in June. Recently visited Boston College. #SJUBB

Kiddwell
05-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
33s33 seconds ago
More
Source: USC grad transfer Derryck Thornton will visit Gonzaga from May 28-30th. Also plans to visit St. John's in June. Recently visited Boston College. #SJUBB

Like the fact we get a visit prior to St. John's AND St. John's is waaaaay across the country. (Thornton's from Cal, right?). Hope we seal the deal making a visit to the Johnnies irrelevant. (Plus, we've experience with an SC grad transfer, a big positive in GU's favor.)

:]

JAGzag
05-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
33s33 seconds ago
More

Poor Spy, wherever he is, must be losing his mind right now!

Markburn1
05-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
33s33 seconds ago
More

Who pays for these trips?

Bogozags
05-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Who pays for these trips?

GU, I assume it most likely comes out of the MBB budget.

exclusivelee
05-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Like the fact we get a visit prior to St. John's AND St. John's is waaaaay across the country. (Thornton's from Cal, right?). Hope we seal the deal making a visit to the Johnnies irrelevant. (Plus, we've experience with an SC grad transfer, a big positive in GU's favor.)

:]Distance must not be a factor with where he's played before and his visit schedule

ZagBlue
05-17-2019, 08:18 PM
As of now, I would be surprised (almost shocked) if Thornton is not a Zag. Letís get this one done and move on to 2020.

Markburn1
05-17-2019, 08:42 PM
As of now, I would be surprised (almost shocked) if Thornton is not a Zag. Let’s get this one done and move on to 2020.

Why are you so confident in your assessment? You have Caldwellesque insider info?

GrizZAG
05-17-2019, 09:01 PM
I must be missing something. His stats aren't particularly impressive. ??

willandi
05-17-2019, 09:01 PM

He is a grad transfer and he isn't Brock Ravet.

cggonzaga
05-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Why are you so confident in your assessment? You have Caldwellesque insider info?

From what I can gather from previous zagblue posts, yes he does.

JPtheBeasta
05-17-2019, 10:04 PM

He is a grad transfer and he isn't Brock Ravet.

You guys just encapsulated the GU Message Board content so far this summer.

OntZags
05-18-2019, 01:46 AM

Stats don't tell everything. By all accounts he is a plus defender and defense is every bit as important as offense.

Also he is more than capable distributor which is an area of concern for next season at the moment.

He's not a good shooter and isn't going to blow us away offensively but that's fine. We've got plenty guys coming in that can score.

Also, as much as I like Ravet, he is going to struggle to adjust defensivdly at the D1 level. No way around it. Gilder can't play 40 minutes a night. Adding another experienced, talented defender to the mix is important to help acclimate Ravet to D1 because he is going to need help on the defensive end.

ZagBlue
05-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Caldwell is the man, his info was/is spot on. Yes though, I am confident but I canít share why. Things change but in a vacuum right now, Thornton seems likely for Gonzaga.

Mr Vulture
05-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Caldwell is the man, his info was/is spot on. Yes though, I am confident but I canít share why. Things change but in a vacuum right now, Thornton seems likely for Gonzaga.

I agree and heard the same thing although I think Caldwell was way more connected than whom I heard this from. In any case, like someone said above, heís a good defender and can distribute the ball. With him and Gilder we will have a ton of P6 experience, good defense, and leadership. It also allows Ravet to adjust to the college game without the pressure of running the team. Those three guys are a solid backcourt if it comes to pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoZags
05-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Those three guys are a solid backcourt if it comes to pass

My thinking is that those 3 in the backcourt WILL come to pass (no pun intended).

Worthington
05-18-2019, 11:24 AM
His previous stats are not all that impressive to me, but we've got a coaching staff that develops players and puts them in a position to utilize their strengths and succeed. If he comes here, I suspect he will have the best season of his college career by far. Whether or not that makes him an adequate successor to Perkins, we shall see (maybe)... I will cheer my head off for him if he becomes a Zag.

former1dog
05-18-2019, 12:40 PM
His previous stats are not all that impressive to me, but we've got a coaching staff that develops players and puts them in a position to utilize their strengths and succeed. If he comes here, I suspect he will have the best season of his college career by far. Whether or not that makes him an adequate successor to Perkins, we shall see (maybe)... I will cheer my head off for him if he becomes a Zag.

My best guess is that the coaching staff isn't looking for a successor to Perkins. Rather, they are looking for an experienced player to come in and play a specific role. It might be as a backup guard who can play from the 1 or 2, consequently getting starter minutes who can defend well and pass the ball well. Sounds to me like that is what the Zags are getting.

tyra
05-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Any lack of enthusiasm for Thornton seems to come from a bias of evaluating players mostly through scoring potential. But by all accounts, here is what we get with Thornton: a decent ball handler, a good to very good distributor and a very good to excellent defender. Within the constellation of players we have and the lack of depth at the guard position, why isn’t that an excellent pick up for us (assuming we do pick him up)?

zagsfanforlife
05-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Any lack of enthusiasm for Thornton seems to come from a bias of evaluating players mostly through scoring potential. But by all accounts, here is what we get with Thornton: a decent ball handler, a good to very good distributor and a very good to excellent defender. Within the constellation of players we have and the lack of depth at the guard position, why isnít that an excellent pick up for us (assuming we do pick him up)?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Hit the nail on the head. I would call it a lazy take or uninformed take to just look at scoring numbers. Thornton is a great fit due to 1) experience 2) ball handling and distribution skills 3) Defensive prowess and how that will combine with Admon Gilder 4) Pressure it takes off of Brock Ravet

webspinnre
05-19-2019, 10:44 AM
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Hit the nail on the head. I would call it a lazy take or uninformed take to just look at scoring numbers. Thornton is a great fit due to 1) experience 2) ball handling and distribution skills 3) Defensive prowess and how that will combine with Admon Gilder 4) Pressure it takes off of Brock Ravet

5) He only takes 1 years worth of a scholarship, leaving us room for amazing future recruiting.

bartruff1
05-19-2019, 11:07 AM
I thought he decided to go UNLV ???? Days ago...

exclusivelee
05-19-2019, 11:25 AM
I thought he decided to go UNLV ???? Days ago...That guy's name is David Jenkins. Not a point guard

EEzag
05-19-2019, 11:42 AM
That guy's name is David Jenkins. Not a point guard

Dang. I wanted Jenkins so we could call him”Perks or Penks ”. ��

willandi
05-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Dang. I wanted Jenkins so we could call him”Perks or Penks ”. ��

You could go with Thornks or Thonks!

bartruff1
05-19-2019, 12:34 PM
That guy's name is David Jenkins. Not a point guard

Whoops....I am dancing as fast as I can and can't keep up with all the whelping.....sorry about that....

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-19-2019, 01:19 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!

webspinnre: 5) He only takes 1 years worth of a scholarship, leaving us room for amazing future recruiting.

Thank you both. I’d love to be speculating about the following 2019-20 lineup while dreaming about a ‘20 recruiting class of Harris, Strawther and Suggs:

Thornton / Ravet
Gilder / Ayayi (Kispert)
Kispert / Arlauskas (Watson)
Watson / Petrusev (Timme)
Timme / Zakharov / Bhallo (Petrusev)

SLOZag
05-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Thank you both. Iíd love to be speculating about the following 2019-20 lineup while dreaming about a Ď20 recruiting class of Harris, Strawther and Suggs:

Thornton / Ravet
Gilder / Ayayi (Kispert)
Kispert / Arlauskas (Watson)
Watson / Petrusev (Timme)
Timme / Zakharov / Bhallo (Petrusev)

Did you intentionally leave out Foster? And are you sure you should ignore Tillie?

Goshzagit
05-19-2019, 01:41 PM
FWIW, Thornton and Perkins are similar players, esp Josh in his final year.

Perkins has rec better, more consistent coaching, and naturally a better shooter, yet they play the game in a similar fashion.

They pass the ball quickly, and with flare.

Thornton is not an offensive weapon yet could be of value for his passing, ballhandling, control, etc.

My only concern is his desire to 'show and tell' for NBA scouts next year. Will he press and try to get his? Attempt to impress with inflated stats/#'s he isn't capable of? While his backcourt mate could be doing the same. I dunno.

He is certainly worth a flyer IF he can play within the system. Otherwise, he is a distraction, and could potentially make us worse not better if the goal is to become a scorer/shooter on offense, which is struggles.

50/50 on the potential with this one

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Did you intentionally leave out Foster? And are you sure you should ignore Tillie?

Foster was an oversight...if Zags land Thornton, I’d put Foster as 3rd PG, behind Ravet

Tillie is gone imo.

Kiddwell
05-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Distance must not be a factor with where he's played before and his visit schedule
...that Derrick (if from California) may wish to stay his final "grad transfer" year on the West Coast with a possible three final games in California. His last college year, his family's last chance to attend three games. But you're right--staying West Coast may not matter.

GonzaGAW
05-23-2019, 08:00 AM
- so I have read all the comments in both thornton threads.
- I began from a point of not being too keen on the young man, his numbers did not impress me, seemed to under preform at both schools, and still in search of goals and playing ability that he just might not have.
- but I have been won over so to speak, I think if offered and accepted, he will be a net positive to the team.
- two over riding factors, for me, I trust the staff and if they want him, so do I, and I really think our team can benefit from a senior on the team. next year is going to be one of our youngest teams ever.
- last, I do not see this as an either or, with regards to nix. I think there will be plenty of playing time for 4 guards, and even time for foster and ayayi if they can 'earn' the playing time.

strikenowhere
05-23-2019, 08:20 AM
- I began from a point of not being too keen on the young man, his numbers did not impress me, seemed to under preform at both schools, and still in search of goals and playing ability that he just might not have.
- but I have been won over so to speak, I think if offered and accepted, he will be a net positive to the team.
- two over riding factors, for me, I trust the staff and if they want him, so do I, and I really think our team can benefit from a senior on the team. next year is going to be one of our youngest teams ever.
- last, I do not see this as an either or, with regards to nix. I think there will be plenty of playing time for 4 guards, and even time for foster and ayayi if they can 'earn' the playing time.

Just an fyi - Nix confirmed (on twitter I believe) that he's going 2020.

VaBeachZAG
05-23-2019, 08:52 AM

You are probably right in viewing Thornton as a net positive for the team. But to me that's not enough. I really hope GU can snag the best possible of all available grad transfers (yes, I want it all). If that ends up being Thornton, then great. I am firmly in the camp that this team badly needs another experienced option at the 1/2 to give the team the best option for success the upcoming season. If there are, in fact, better options for the team out there, then lets not settle.

cggonzaga
05-23-2019, 10:24 AM
You are probably right in viewing Thornton as a net positive for the team. But to me that's not enough. I really hope GU can snag the best possible of all available grad transfers (yes, I want it all). If that ends up being Thornton, then great. I am firmly in the camp that this team badly needs another experienced option at the 1/2 to give the team the best option for success the upcoming season. If there are, in fact, better options for the team out there, then lets not settle.

There’s not and I wouldn’t say we are settling on Thornton. The staff is excited for him.

Mr Vulture
05-23-2019, 12:11 PM

We would NOT be settling if we got Thornton. He may not be the best shooter around but he can get us into the offense and play good defense. In fact, if got him onboard with Gilder, I think our defensive backcourt would be real trouble for teams we play. Not to mention we'd have two guys that were able to run the offense. There are no better PG options out there for next season, by the way.

VaBeachZAG
05-23-2019, 12:22 PM
We would NOT be settling if we got Thornton. He may not be the best shooter around but he can get us into the offense and play good defense. In fact, if got him onboard with Gilder, I think our defensive backcourt would be real trouble for teams we play. Not to mention we'd have two guys that were able to run the offense. There are no better PG options out there for next season, by the way.

I am not in any way apposing the idea of Thornton becoming a Zag. But is it truly accurate to say there may be no better grad transfer guards out there? Others have made the point that there may be options who have yet to withdraw from the draft. I don't personally know if that is true, but if it is, the question becomes, is it better to wait to see who withdraws or does GU pull the trigger now (assuming Thornton wants to be a Zag). Classic bird in the hand situation.

soccerdud
05-23-2019, 12:47 PM
I am not in any way apposing the idea of Thornton becoming a Zag. But is it truly accurate to say there may be no better grad transfer guards out there? Others have made the point that there may be options who have yet to withdraw from the draft. I don't personally know if that is true, but if it is, the question becomes, is it better to wait to see who withdraws or does GU pull the trigger now (assuming Thornton wants to be a Zag). Classic bird in the hand situation.

interestingly, thornton is scheduled to visit the 28th-30th. the 29th is the last day to withdraw from the draft. so, i imagine the coaching staff will have a good idea of what's available before they accept a binding commitment from thornton. i wouldn't worry about it much. i imagine we'll end up with thornton if the coaching staff believes he's the best option, and someone else if not.

i am somewhat intrigued by thornton, myself.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-23-2019, 03:24 PM
interestingly, thornton is scheduled to visit the 28th-30th. the 29th is the last day to withdraw from the draft. so, i imagine the coaching staff will have a good idea of what's available before they accept a binding commitment from thornton. i wouldn't worry about it much. i imagine we'll end up with thornton if the coaching staff believes he's the best option, and someone else if not.

i am somewhat intrigued by thornton, myself.

I donít understand the logistics of how this kind of thing works. Have Zags officially offered Thornton? If so, then are they not obligated to honor the offer if he says he wants to #ZagUp?

In other words, if a player has been offered a scholarship doesnít that mean the school has already agreed to accept a binding commitment if the player accepts the offer? Itíd be kind of cold to offer, kid accepts, then school says ďpsycheĒ we donít want you after all.

soccerdud
05-23-2019, 05:40 PM
I don’t understand the logistics of how this kind of thing works. Have Zags officially offered Thornton? If so, then are they not obligated to honor the offer if he says he wants to #ZagUp?

In other words, if a player has been offered a scholarship doesn’t that mean the school has already agreed to accept a binding commitment if the player accepts the offer? It’d be kind of cold to offer, kid accepts, then school says “psyche” we don’t want you after all.

i don't know much about this stuff, but i do know two things:

1) no one has announced that the two sides have agreed that he will play here, but both sides have acknowledged interest
2) previously reported offers (including ones where the prospective athlete traveled to visit the school) have disappeared. it's a thing that happens, whether because another athlete accepts first and takes the spot, or the offering school loses interest, or whatever. otherwise, a school could only have as many offers out as they have available scholarships, and we know that isn't the case.

basically, we don't have any reason to think it's a done deal-- and until it is, i don't believe there's any obligation on either side. otherwise, what would happen if nix called us tomorrow and said he wanted to play for us in '19?

JPtheBeasta
05-23-2019, 08:54 PM
Couldn’t they theoretically kick a scholarship player from last year to the curb? I’m not advocating it but thought that was allowed.

ZagaZags
05-23-2019, 08:58 PM
Couldn’t they theoretically kick a scholarship player from last year to the curb? I’m not advocating it but thought that was allowed.

Yes, they could do that.

cggonzaga
05-23-2019, 11:59 PM
19. Derryck Thornton Jr., USC graduate transfer

A recent addition to the graduate transfer market, Thornton would offer a number of teams an immediate starting point guard. Among the teams on his list are Gonzaga, St. John's and Boston College. If he were to end up at Gonzaga, the Bulldogs wouldn't fall too far despite the personnel losses.

ESPN article.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-24-2019, 02:23 AM
ESPN article.

If Thornton’s top options really are Gonzaga, St John’s and Boston College, I like Zags chances. Seems like a no brainer

jazzdelmar
05-24-2019, 04:10 AM
If Thornton’s top options really are Gonzaga, St John’s and Boston College, I like Zags chances. Seems like a no brainer

Doesn't that cut both ways? Just saying.

JPtheBeasta
05-24-2019, 06:40 AM

Desperate for a Starter-Quality Graduate Transfer might be somewhat of a niche market.

willandi
05-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Desperate for a Starter-Quality Graduate Transfer might be somewhat of a niche market.

I don't know about 'desperate', but looking for a Quality Graduate Transfer at PG is true. It has to be the right person with the right skills.

I expect, as has been stated before, there still is mutual interest in Thornton, hence the visit. We, the knowledgeable fans of the forum, STILL know only 5% of what the staff is doing. They may have a knock-out lined up, and are just waiting to reveal that one.

hooter73
05-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Couldnít they theoretically kick a scholarship player from last year to the curb? Iím not advocating it but thought that was allowed.

Could, but GU will never do that... directly.

JPtheBeasta
05-24-2019, 11:35 AM
I don't know about 'desperate', but looking for a Quality Graduate Transfer at PG is true. It has to be the right person with the right skills.

I expect, as has been stated before, there still is mutual interest in Thornton, hence the visit. We, the knowledgeable fans of the forum, STILL know only 5% of what the staff is doing. They may have a knock-out lined up, and are just waiting to reveal that one.

“Desperate” was probably a poor choice of words.

ZagaZags
05-24-2019, 10:29 PM
Could, but GU will never do that... directly.

Luke Meikle, cough...cough.

jazzdelmar
05-25-2019, 02:58 AM
Luke Meikle, cough...cough.

Among way many others.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-25-2019, 03:11 AM

True, and May 29th deadline to withdraw name from draft is fast approaching so perhaps we will be learnIng of other grad transfer PG options soon. Kind of like poker in a way, do Zags offer Thornton and lock him in during visit or wait and keep options open yet thereby run the risk of Thornton going elsewhere?

Speaking of May 29th deadline, shouldn’t we be hearing official word of Petrusev withdrawing from draft soon?

Bogozags
05-25-2019, 04:50 AM
True, and May 29th deadline to withdraw name from draft is fast approaching so perhaps we will be learnIng of other grad transfer PG options soon. Kind of like poker in a way, do Zags offer Thornton and lock him in during visit or wait and keep options open yet thereby run the risk of Thornton going elsewhere?

Speaking of May 29th deadline, shouldn’t we be hearing official word of Petrusev withdrawing from draft soon?

Flex that is the decision...bird in hand...one could lose both ways...

jazzdelmar
05-25-2019, 05:06 AM
Petro wasn't in the Combine and there have been no reports of him even working out with a team. So what was the point of declaring? Very odd.....might be a wild card.

webspinnre
05-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Petro wasn't in the Combine and there have been no reports of him even working out with a team. So what was the point of declaring? Very odd.....might be a wild card.

Typically it's to go through the early evaluation process to get feedback on what improvements teams would like to see you make.

jazzdelmar
05-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Typically it's to go through the early evaluation process to get feedback on what improvements teams would like to see you make.

Ok, and what was offered?

willandi
05-25-2019, 05:10 PM
Ok, and what was offered?

The opportunity to go back to school?

jazzdelmar
05-25-2019, 05:21 PM
The opportunity to go back to school?

With extreme prejudice?

willandi
05-25-2019, 06:37 PM
With extreme prejudice?

Not from me. I think he will have a break-out year. He will hear footsteps at both ends of the court. He is in his second year, and may have thought he wouldn't play much last year until Tillie's injury.

Zagdawg
05-27-2019, 07:01 AM
Adam Zagoria

Verified account

@AdamZagoria
17h17 hours ago
More Adam Zagoria Retweeted Adam Zagoria
Thornton will visit Gonzaga Tuesday/Wednesday, per source.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/05/26/usc-grad-transfer-derryck-thornton-visiting-gonzaga/

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Adam Zagoria

Verified account

@AdamZagoria
17h17 hours ago
More Adam Zagoria Retweeted Adam Zagoria
Thornton will visit Gonzaga Tuesday/Wednesday, per source.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/05/26/usc-grad-transfer-derryck-thornton-visiting-gonzaga/

Duke to USC to grad transfer for final season of college ball...hopefully Kispert, Ayayi, Foster and Petrusev are in Spokane to host him and especially to give coaches feedback after they’ve met him because one could interpret his track record as indicative of a high maintenance personality not easily content w his role on a team. That’s a fair opinion so please don’t eviscerate me for stating the obvious.

Immediately eligible PG w experience and one year of eligibility is exactly what Zags need this season and for sake of recruiting class of 2020... so I’m rooting for this to be a good fit but wary too

Mr Vulture
05-27-2019, 08:26 AM
Duke to USC to grad transfer for final season of college ball...hopefully Kispert, Ayayi, Foster and Petrusev are in Spokane to host him and especially to give coaches feedback after theyíve met him because one could interpret his track record as indicative of a high maintenance personality not easily content w his role on a team. Thatís a fair opinion so please donít eviscerate me for stating the obvious.

Immediately eligible PG w experience and one year of eligibility is exactly what Zags need this season and for sake of recruiting class of 2020... so Iím rooting for this to be a good fit but wary too

Could be more indicative of being passed on a loaded Duke team so wanting to play close to home at USC. As for grad transferring, he might want a chance to play in the NCAA tournament whereas USC is far less likely to do so.

As for players being on campus, if the semester is over Iíd think Petrusev and Ayayi would be with their national squads for the summer. Others are likely around though

webspinnre
05-27-2019, 08:43 AM
From everything we've heard, Few gives a good deal of weight to feedback from current players when bringing a new guy in. I'm sure that will be considered.

Worthington
05-27-2019, 09:08 AM
I haven't been Thornton's biggest advocate, but one of the things that sticks out to me in his highlights is the energy he brings to the court. It's just highlights, but he appears to have a high motor and is genuinely pumped up when his teammates make a big play. Don't know what he's like off the court, but he looks like a fun guy to play with.

ZagBlue
05-27-2019, 01:28 PM
I haven't been Thornton's biggest advocate, but one of the things that sticks out to me in his highlights is the energy he brings to the court. It's just highlights, but he appears to have a high motor and is genuinely pumped up when his teammates make a big play. Don't know what he's like off the court, but he looks like a fun guy to play with.
By reputation, he is supposed to be a great kid, great teammate, plays great d, brings energy and experience. The only real knock is he has struggled with his shooting. Letís face it, if any grad transfer was perfect he would be in the nba and not a college senior. To me personally, Thornton is about as good a fit as we could have ever hoped for. With him and Gilder we would go from a backcourt with essentially zero experience to having two guys who have all league type potential. AND they take up no scholarships from 2020 recruits.

webspinnre
05-27-2019, 01:36 PM
By reputation, he is supposed to be a great kid, great teammate, plays great d, brings energy and experience. The only real knock is he has struggled with his shooting. Let’s face it, if any grad transfer was perfect he would be in the nba and not a college senior. To me personally, Thornton is about as good a fit as we could have ever hoped for. With him and Gilder we would go from a backcourt with essentially zero experience to having two guys who have all league type potential. AND they take up no scholarships from 2020 recruits.

Agreed. That part is huge. A wealth of experience, without interfering with our future recruiting. What an incredible bridge to have to get all our young bigs some good experience.

ZAG 4 LIFE
05-27-2019, 09:12 PM
By reputation, he is supposed to be a great kid, great teammate, plays great d, brings energy and experience. The only real knock is he has struggled with his shooting. Let’s face it, if any grad transfer was perfect he would be in the nba and not a college senior. To me personally, Thornton is about as good a fit as we could have ever hoped for. With him and Gilder we would go from a backcourt with essentially zero experience to having two guys who have all league type potential. AND they take up no scholarships from 2020 recruits.

And with Gilder and Thornton... they will be a very tough backcourt defensively.

White lightning
05-28-2019, 06:56 AM
I'm hoping Thornton joins the Zags this week. Last season Crandall came in late and I feel was behind the whole season trying to mesh with a new complicated system. The earlier a player comes the better.

Thornton reclassified and went to Duke with a lot of hype as the new point guard. I'm sure the pressure was overwhelming being so young. I think the system that coach Few runs will fit him well. We need a ball handler with experience to help the freshman along.

Starting 20 games and playing roughly 26 minutes a game for Duke as a freshman shows his ability to perform at a top level. We all know once at Duke you will be either a one and done or a done after one. Ask Chase Jeeter. Making the move to USC probably wasn't a good fit for him but had no choice if wanting a chance to start.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raise the zag
05-28-2019, 07:12 AM
I'm hoping Thornton joins the Zags this week. Last season Crandall came in late and I feel was behind the whole season trying to mesh with a new complicated system. The earlier a player comes the better.

Thornton reclassified and went to Duke with a lot of hype as the new point guard. I'm sure the pressure was overwhelming being so young. I think the system that coach Few runs will fit him well. We need a ball handler with experience to help the freshman along.

Starting 20 games and playing roughly 26 minutes a game for Duke as a freshman shows his ability to perform at a top level. We all know once at Duke you will be either a one and done or a done after one. Ask Chase Jeeter. Making the move to USC probably wasn't a good fit for him but had no choice if wanting a chance to start.

Thornton's experience at different schools, learning two new systems [ACC & PAC 12] will help him adjust quickly. There isn't a lot he hasn't seen at this level, and he's played against the best. It makes a difference after awhile.

Thornton isn't a very good shooter, yet moreso due to his out of control drives around the hoop. He missed a TON of bunnies/layups/floaters last year, yet he's actually a decent mid-range shooter and very much a strength of his. I have a feeling we'll isolate these strengths and maximize his ability, especially in a 1 year scenario.

He is already an elite level defender, very active hands, and can handle the ball with the best of them. Our system and coaching will help him tremendously. I'm sure his "flashy" play will frustrate Coach Few from time to time, yet give and take with any grad transfer. You aren't going to change his game/ways, yet you can help him channel the best attributes and utilize his various strengths.

I did hear he absolutely loved his visit to Boston College.

I'm confident we are the leader for his services, yet BC impressed him.

Hoping he commits soon as well.

willandi
05-28-2019, 07:12 AM

Good line. I love it!

Kiddwell
05-28-2019, 09:06 AM
I did hear he absolutely loved his visit to Boston College.

I'm confident we are the leader for his services, yet BC impressed him.

Hoping he commits soon as well.

Wow, go to Boston College, get obliterated twice by Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, etc., don't make The Dance but enjoy a lovely bowl of Boston Baked Beans. (Zags, the better choice. Plus, we got tacos.) Sure hope Derryck enjoys his trip to Spokane (he's here right now, yes?), instantly declares himself a Zag, reaches his five-star H.S. potential, and becomes a GU Living Legend after leading Zags to the Final Four!

Zagdawg
05-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Agree .....but you misspelled National Championship ........ ;)

sittingon50
05-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Agree .....but you misspelled National Championship ........ ;)

:clap:

MDABE80
05-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Weather is SO fine for the next 10 days. I have a hunch he'd blossom here...............USC is a mess.

GonzaGAW
05-28-2019, 06:54 PM
- timing of Tillie's decision to return is perfect!
- another great selling point to thornton......a seasoned, all conference player to feed the ball too, heck maybe conference player of the year.....not a stretch.

willandi
05-30-2019, 05:47 AM
Has anybody heard any news on Thornton?

It would seem, to me, that since he was reported to be here on Tuesday and Wednesday that he would either have been offered or not. My thought is that had he been offered he would have accepted.

Is there a reason that announcing would be delayed?

Was he offered?

Was he even here?

exclusivelee
05-30-2019, 07:28 AM
Today is Derryck's birthday.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190530/1a680228fefc2b15ec988356d86d338e.jpg

SLOZag
05-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Well, I take some small comfort in the fact that Jonah didn't send this birthday message to Derryck: "Happy birthday to my duck thizzz."

gonzagafan62
05-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Well, I take some small comfort in the fact that Jonah didn't send this birthday message to Derryck: "Happy birthday to my duck thizzz."

LMFAO

ZagsObserver
05-30-2019, 12:39 PM
Really quiet on this one...

sportsfan101
05-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Yeah, it's been a while since one of our insiders chimed in about this particular player.

doctorzag
05-30-2019, 01:21 PM

He did mention that he wanted to visit St. Johns after us.

ZagsObserver
05-30-2019, 01:24 PM

True. But many didn’t expect him to make it there.

At any rate, no details about the visit itself.

cggonzaga
05-30-2019, 02:07 PM
https://twitter.com/gonzagaguru/status/1134218741657378816?s=21

jazzdelmar
05-30-2019, 02:29 PM

Saint johns is a dumpster fire. Hard to envision him going there.

Zag_Dad
05-30-2019, 02:31 PM
https://twitter.com/gonzagaguru/status/1134218741657378816?s=21

Interesting that he is still at GU on his birthday (which is today, May 30th). I though he was scheduled to visit Tuesday and Wednesday.

Good sign?

sittingon50
05-30-2019, 07:55 PM
Had to go back for seconds on those tacos!

exclusivelee
05-31-2019, 03:40 PM
The official ZagMBB twitter account decided to follow Derryck today
Also recently followed him on Instagram too

IowaSERE
05-31-2019, 03:55 PM
The official ZagMBB twitter account decided to follow Derryck today
Also recently followed him on Instagram too

I thought that they only followed players who have committed to the zags...........

zagfan1970
05-31-2019, 04:51 PM
The way kids announce their intentions these days they may find out faster following him on social media.

Zagdawg
05-31-2019, 06:32 PM
He hasnt posted on social media since January (twitter) --and Instagram in November.

caldwellzag
06-01-2019, 07:31 AM
He hasnt posted on social media since January (twitter) --and Instagram in November.

He posted on Instagram this week of him in the Kennel. Was on his story. Keep your eyes on social media this weekend.

Just FYI I never use this computer, but it was signed in so I thought I would say hi and keep an eye out for a VC this weekend into early next week at the latest.

Zagsker
06-01-2019, 08:16 AM
He posted on Instagram this week of him in the Kennel. Was on his story. Keep your eyes on social media this weekend.

Just FYI I never use this computer, but it was signed in so I thought I would say hi and keep an eye out for a VC this weekend into early next week at the latest.

...thanks for the heads up?

gonzagafan62
06-01-2019, 10:11 AM

Thanks CZ

ZagsObserver
06-03-2019, 09:53 AM
We’ve heard next to nothing about how the visit went and now the weekend has come and gone. Just repeating the obvious, but it seems unusually quiet given that it’s a high value target.

jazzdelmar
06-03-2019, 10:42 AM
No news is bad news

willandi
06-03-2019, 10:48 AM
No news is bad news

If, during his visit, the staff and the team members felt that he wasn't a good fit so he wasn't offered, why would that be bad news?

LongIslandZagFan
06-03-2019, 10:53 AM
No news is bad news

Or... maybe... just maybe it means there just isn't any news.

soccerdud
06-03-2019, 10:59 AM
If, during his visit, the staff and the team members felt that he wasn't a good fit so he wasn't offered, why would that be bad news?

when you start from a flawed premise (if we had offered, they'd have accepted/announced by now), it sure leads to some silly conclusions.

scrooner
06-03-2019, 11:34 AM
To some people, all news is bad news.

GoZags
06-03-2019, 11:42 AM
No news is bad news

Disagree completely and whole heartedly.

The only recent “news” is Post #108 which IMHO is VERY, VERY good news.

willandi
06-03-2019, 12:43 PM
when you start from a flawed premise (if we had offered, they'd have accepted/announced by now), it sure leads to some silly conclusions.

My premise was "If he wasn't offered".

How is not bad news a silly conclusion?

soccerdud
06-03-2019, 02:13 PM
My premise was "If he wasn't offered".

How is not bad news a silly conclusion?

the premise i was referring to:

It would seem, to me, that since he was reported to be here on Tuesday and Wednesday that he would either have been offered or not. My thought is that had he been offered he would have accepted.

maybe you've backed off the above, but since you've posted similar in multiple threads about multiple players, i figured you really meant it.

anyway, yes you couched it with an "If"... but the conclusion i was referring to was the jump from not having heard anything to we didn't want him and didn't offer, which isn't supported by any other info i've seen or heard-- but which you presented as though it was the likely/default explanation.

but you're right, taken at face value and in a vacuum, that post holds together fine. i just think you took the wrong fork in the road a step earlier, leading to that post.

willandi
06-03-2019, 02:18 PM
premise:

maybe you've backed off the above, but since you've posted similar in multiple threads about multiple players, i figured you really meant it.

anyway, yes you couched it with an "If"... but the conclusion i was referring to was the jump from not having heard anything to we didn't want him and didn't offer, which isn't supported by any other info i've seen or heard-- but which you presented as though it was the likely/default explanation.

but you're right, taken at face value and in a vacuum, that post holds together fine. i just think you took the wrong fork in the road a step earlier, leading to that post.

You are right about the first post. Sorry. I still feel like IF he had been offered he would have accepted. I might have been wrong, but given a choice of a Top 10 team and going to the dance and a dumpster fire at St Johns, it just seems that there is only one choice.

The question about that is, was he offered or not, and we won't know until someone speaks one way or the other.

I was really just responding to the 'no news is bad news' post from Jazz, and trying not to be insulting about it.

zagfan1970
06-03-2019, 02:25 PM
You are right about the first post. Sorry. I still feel like IF he had been offered he would have accepted. I might have been wrong, but given a choice of a Top 10 team and going to the dance and a dumpster fire at St Johns, it just seems that there is only one choice.

The question about that is, was he offered or not, and we won't know until someone speaks one way or the other.

I was really just responding to the 'no news is bad news' post from Jazz, and trying not to be insulting about it.

I highly doubt that ZAGMBB started following him on Twitter and Instagram shortly after discovering we not only didnít offer but didnít want him. They don't follow a lot of former recruiting targets except Kasun.

soccerdud
06-03-2019, 02:31 PM

haha, i get that. it's interesting what internet things elicit responses from people.

you wanted to respond to jazz's droopy dog act. i wanted to respond to your assumptions about and oversimplification of thornton's priorities, circumstances, and decision making process and defend a prospective student-athlete from an unsupported assertion that we don't want him.

all good, man. :)

caldwellzag
06-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Seems like a good time to become a Zag. Should be soon!

sittingon50
06-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Thanks caldwell.

TexasZagFan
06-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Seems like a good time to become a Zag. Should be soon!

Is there ever a bad time to become a Zag?

TheOtherGreatOne
06-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Is there ever a bad time to become a Zag?

If there is I am not aware of it.

sportsfan101
06-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Well nothing new has been posted about Derryck Thornton the last several days so I thought I'd post this to add to the discussion....

Zach Braziller, sports reporter for the New York Post, Tweeted yesterday that he was told that it's unlikely Derryck Thornton would visit St John`s like was originally the plan. Sounds like a great sign for us...I hope lol

JAGzag
06-10-2019, 02:53 AM
I can only suspect the waiting has to do with his schooling. Perhaps finalizing his grad transfer status?

Zagdawg
06-17-2019, 07:59 AM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
35s36 seconds ago
More
Boston College has landed USC grad transfer Derryck Thornton, source told @Stadium. Nice pickup for the Eagles. Thornton started his career at Duke.

strikenowhere
06-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
35s36 seconds ago
More
Boston College has landed USC grad transfer Derryck Thornton, source told @Stadium. Nice pickup for the Eagles. Thornton started his career at Duke.

Hmmmm....that's not good.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Zags seem like an obviously better program and fit for a grad transfer PG this season, so maybe this means breaking news on the horizon re: PG this season?!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
06-17-2019, 08:16 AM

Wow.

We need caldwellzag to come back and reset the positive recruiting vibes.

hooter73
06-17-2019, 08:17 AM
well then.

zagfan1970
06-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Or Spy to tell us how lucky we are: )

LongIslandZagFan
06-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Would have liked to have picked this kid up but no worries... Zags will be fine.

Zagceo
06-17-2019, 08:21 AM
bummer

ZagsObserver
06-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Big bummer. Gotta run with another pg, and the bargain basement sort wasn’t my hope

gonzagafan62
06-17-2019, 08:55 AM
“Whelp”

LongIslandZagFan
06-17-2019, 08:57 AM
“Whelp”

come on 62... you gotta follow that up with:

https://media.tenor.com/images/7fd8336e8959009cb48ff33e869a6ebd/tenor.gif

SanDiegoZag
06-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Zags seem like an obviously better program and fit for a grad transfer PG this season, so maybe this means breaking news on the horizon re: PG this season?!

Yeah, I definitely agree. This means we feel good about another PG prospect, ready for 2019. Anyone wanna throw out some names? I'm blanking on the guy who was discussed last week. I know Nico Mannion could be an option, but I think this would be a one year player, so surely a grad transfer PG. Wasn't there a guy speculated about last week, or did I imagine that?

Zagdawg
06-17-2019, 09:17 AM
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/06/17/usc-grad-transfer-thornton-picks-boston-college-over-gonzaga/

sportsfan101
06-17-2019, 09:34 AM
I wonder if we actually got beat out by Boston College or was this a case of Mark Few not thinking he was a good fit when he visited.....

It's just really hard to fathom him choosing Boston College over us....Boston College virtually has no chance to go to March Madness while we're a top 10 to 15 team this upcoming season depending on what poll you look at. I'm truly befuddled over this one.

jazzdelmar
06-17-2019, 09:39 AM
"For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

Kiddwell
06-17-2019, 10:02 AM
...a lovely bowl of Boston Baked Beans, it is...

:explode:

:[

jazzdelmar
06-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Say what?

haha, i get that. it's interesting what internet things elicit responses from people.

you wanted to respond to jazz's droopy dog act. i wanted to respond to your assumptions about and oversimplification of thornton's priorities, circumstances, and decision making process and defend a prospective student-athlete from an unsupported assertion that we don't want him.

all good, man. :)

gonstu
06-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Interesting curve ball

jazzdelmar
06-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Interesting curve ball

Over the outside corner for a KO.

soccerdud
06-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Say what?

That's old... Will responded to you on page 5 and that turned into a bit of a back and forth between Will and i that culminated in the post you quoted (and spilled over into the main board, I guess). If your question is related to Thornton, please clarify and I'll happily respond to you here. If it's about board bickering, maybe just pm me. Either way happy to have a conversation about it.

FloridaZagFan
06-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Nico Mannion?? Did I miss something? Thought he was super committed to Arizona???

MDABE80
06-17-2019, 03:01 PM
THis kid had problems. Maybe he would have been a good pickup. For me.....something didn't feel right. More good kids to follow. I don't think this is a big defeat.

tyra
06-17-2019, 04:02 PM
I hope I am not guilty of rationalizing but his father’s comment to the effect that BC plays more an NBA game gave me a feeling of relief here. That means individual play and that is decidedly not GU play. Sounds like he wants to be the focal point. Not a good predisposition. Onward and upward.

ZagsObserver
06-17-2019, 04:28 PM
I hope I not guilty of rationalizing but his father’s comment to the effect that BC plays more an NBA game gave me a feeling of relief here. That means individual play and that is decidedly not GU play. Sounds like he wants to be the focal point. Not a good predisposition. Onward and upward.

Interesting take. You might be right.

But we still have a depth issue at guard. Depending on how well Ravet transitions, it might be a greater issue than simply “depth.”

Goshzagit
06-17-2019, 05:02 PM
West Coast (HS) -> then to East Coast (Duke) -> back to West Coast (USC) -> returns to East Coast (BC).

Wants a place to utilize his playground pick-up game And-1 mentality and style.

Let's be honest, we need PG depth/help, yet 99% knew this wasn't a great fit for either party.

I feel its the best outcome for both short and long term.

Back to the drawing board.

ZagBlue
06-17-2019, 05:27 PM
I hope I not guilty of rationalizing but his fatherís comment to the effect that BC plays more an NBA game gave me a feeling of relief here. That means individual play and that is decidedly not GU play. Sounds like he wants to be the focal point. Not a good predisposition. Onward and upward.

I have been quiet on this but the decision is not a surprise to the staff and the above sentiment pretty much sums up why. Do we need a pg? Yes and therefore Thornton would have been a very nice add. As the above alludes to though, papa Thornton is a huge pain and not helpful to his son.

gonzagafan62
06-17-2019, 05:37 PM
West Coast (HS) -> then to East Coast (Duke) -> back to West Coast (USC) -> returns to East Coast (BC).

Wants a place to utilize his playground pick-up game And-1 mentality and style.

Let's be honest, we need PG depth/help, yet 99% knew this wasn't a great fit for either party.

I feel its the best outcome for both short and long term.

Back to the drawing board.

99% is extreme. Few and co I’ll possibly give you but everyone here? Idk bout all that lol

jazzdelmar
06-17-2019, 05:51 PM
Please euthanize this thread.

TexasZagFan
06-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Please euthanize this thread.

Derryck who?

JPtheBeasta
06-17-2019, 07:25 PM
I wish I could say I will be more interested in Boston College games now, but I won't. I don't quite get the choice. Maybe Thornton wants to take a Night class from Elie Wiesel.

zagfan1970
06-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Joel Ayayi

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-18-2019, 02:50 AM
I wish I could say I will be more interested in Boston College games now, but I won't. I don't quite get the choice. Maybe Thornton wants to take a Night class from Elie Wiesel.

It’s a great university with a beautiful campus in a great college town. BC was on my short list of potential grad schools when I was in my mid-twenties. He might actually have looked beyond basketball and made his choice based on the right fit for other reasons.

jazzdelmar
06-18-2019, 02:56 AM
BC is widely regarded as the third best RC college in the country.

GonzaGAW
06-18-2019, 06:45 AM
I wonder if we actually got beat out by Boston College or was this a case of Mark Few not thinking he was a good fit when he visited.....

It's just really hard to fathom him choosing Boston College over us....Boston College virtually has no chance to go to March Madness while we're a top 10 to 15 team this upcoming season depending on what poll you look at. I'm truly befuddled over this one.

- I think this was a mutual agreement, gu passed on thornton, and thornton was more into wanting a team that fits his personal goals, nothing wrong with that.
- but I agree, gu had more to offer in the way of team success than bc.

raise the zag
06-18-2019, 11:07 AM
- I think this was a mutual agreement, gu passed on thornton, and thornton was more into wanting a team that fits his personal goals, nothing wrong with that.
- but I agree, gu had more to offer in the way of team success than bc.

that's why we take the transparent/honest/forthright approach to campus visits at Gonzaga. We entertain as well as ensure they are equipped with proper information. Not just a song and dance like at Memphis....err....other schools.

We, along with recruit, discover if its a fit for the foreseeable future.

We share our vision/hope/projection as well as they do.

Sometimes its not the best relationship and other times its the perfect fit.

This seems mutual, as least imo.

jazzdelmar
06-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Lots of sour grapes on this thread. Unbecoming.

EEzag
06-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Lots of sour grapes on this thread. Unbecoming.

Actually, for a recruit who chose elsewhere, this thread hasn't been as sour as usual. Good luck kid, hope it works out for ya. We only know 5% of what's going on right?

Let's start the Anton PG thread!!!!!

Seriously, more time for Brock. Probably is a good thing.

hooter73
06-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Joel Ayayi

If he was ready the staff wouldn’t be leaving any stone unturned as they have been.

zagfan1970
06-18-2019, 03:41 PM
If he was ready the staff wouldnít be leaving any stone unturned as they have been.

Another summer with France and playing vs high level should do him wonders. He will also have the benefit of consistent PT either in front of or primary backup to Brock or Admon. The biggest thing he really needs is confidence so I hope he does well this summer. At this point with known Grad transfers available I put more faith in a guy in his 3rd year in our program and international experience vs a guy coming from a lower level ave 14ppg or a guy who ave 5ppg at a high major.

ZagsGoZags
06-23-2019, 11:47 PM
an important interpretation of his choice for Boston College is to know is
ONE. we offered and he chose Boston anyway
TWO. we did not offer and he chose his Plan B
If this ever becomes known, it will easier for me to form a reaction and opinion that I like

ZagBlue
06-24-2019, 05:36 AM
an important interpretation of his choice for Boston College is to know is
ONE. we offered and he chose Boston anyway
TWO. we did not offer and he chose his Plan B
If this ever becomes known, it will easier for me to form a reaction and opinion that I like
Letís just say that we arenít going to win every recruiting battle and sometime what Gonzaga has to offer is not what the kid or his family (father) prioritized. Canít win them all and perhaps this one ended up for the better. We shall see.

caldwellzag
06-24-2019, 05:36 AM
Another summer with France and playing vs high level should do him wonders. He will also have the benefit of consistent PT either in front of or primary backup to Brock or Admon. The biggest thing he really needs is confidence so I hope he does well this summer. At this point with known Grad transfers available I put more faith in a guy in his 3rd year in our program and international experience vs a guy coming from a lower level ave 14ppg or a guy who ave 5ppg at a high major.

You also have to understand staff encouraged Greg to explore options, they did not do the same with Joel for a reason.

zagfan1970
06-24-2019, 05:47 AM
You also have to understand staff encouraged Greg to explore options, they did not do the same with Joel for a reason.

This!