PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Expectation as to Tillie's Plan?

DixieZag
05-11-2019, 12:02 PM
I never for a minute thought he'd come back to GU until I heard the poor kid injured himself at a workout.

I can't imagine that a good pro team, one that invests in its athletes, would sign him until he can stay healthy.

Gonzaga provides their kids with world-class care in doctors and therapists, trainers, etc. He would have a tough time getting that level of care by himself or with a sub-par pro team.

Seems to me that the obvious best choice for him now is to come back and pray he can stay healthy.

But I don't know the time frame for any announcement. What is realistic?

Terrifteacher
05-11-2019, 12:44 PM
I never for a minute thought he'd come back to GU until I heard the poor kid injured himself at a workout.

I can't imagine that a good pro team, one that invests in its athletes, would sign him until he can stay healthy.

Gonzaga provides their kids with world-class care in doctors and therapists, trainers, etc. He would have a tough time getting that level of care by himself or with a sub-par pro team.

Seems to me that the obvious best choice for him now is to come back and pray he can stay healthy.

But I don't know the time frame for any announcement. What is realistic?

Tillie has several options. He can wait for the draft and if he misses out he can play in Europe. In my opinion, he is not coming back because of these options plus the injuries have convinced him to go pro. Just my humble opinion.

krozman
05-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Without a guaranteed contract I wouldn't count on my body to provide the paycheck. A college degree will honestly be most valuable to him if he can't actually play the game he loves. I hope he's surrounded by people with his true best interests to give him the advice he needs. If that involves him leaving, I'll wish him the best from a grateful fan base.

CDC84
05-11-2019, 09:05 PM
He needs to stay at GU. He has the chance to be a first or second option starting offensive player while proving to the scouts that he can stay healthy and continue to pursue the great academics that Gonzaga Univ. provides.....which could prove even more crucial if he cannot stay healthy and is forced to quit playing basketball. Even if he had stayed healthy thru the combine, and if some team had drafted him late in the first round, I would not have expected to see him playing in the NBA 5 years from now. I just don't think he is ready for the pros, and part of it is all the wasted time due to injuries. It's not just the lost practice time and the lost playing time, but all the time he has wasted on the court just getting into game shape and getting caught up to game speed. Where those 2 items were the primary goals for him being on the floor. Not making winning basketball plays like he is capable of doing. He's just been hurt too much to improve.

CB4
05-12-2019, 12:35 AM
He'll be back and odds are he'll miss games or find some other reasons to not play. I know that seems unfair to say.

ZagNation
05-12-2019, 01:00 AM
He'll be back and odds are he'll miss games or find some other reasons to not play. I know that seems unfair to say.

What would the odds be?

DixieZag
05-12-2019, 05:40 AM

"Other reasons not to play" is an awfully odd way of putting it. I think it certainly IS unfair to say, bc there has never been an indication that any missed games were for anything but very serious injuries. That's part of the deal with him, the injuries are real, that's the problem.

I can see saying that odds are he will be back and odds are that he'll experience an injury and miss some time. but not "find some other reason not to play" - that does seem unfair to the kid. You have to have more to make an accusation like that IMO.

vandalzag
05-12-2019, 07:35 AM

"other reason not to play" is a garbage post. If you are going to say crap like that at least have the backbone to say what you mean. Do you have knowledge that Tillie did not play a game for any reason other that injury?

TexasZagFan
05-12-2019, 08:19 AM

Not to pile on, but it was more than unfair. IMO it was an undeserved shot at Killian's integrity.

CB4
05-12-2019, 08:51 AM
I just don't think he has the fire in his belly. I don't think he prepares or takes care of his body well enough before or after games. Other than being 6'10, I think he'd get pulverized in the NBA due to his lack of strength and coordination. I think he's constantly inside his own head. He seems scared of failure.

He reminds me like a lot of athletes I've seen over the years, on my teams, on other teams, in youth and collegiate sports, and to a certain extent in the pros, who seemingly have ongoing and reoccurring issues that on first glance appear to be bad luck.

gonzagafan62
05-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Lock it up. This is dumb. Thx

ETA: Sry Dix

LongIslandZagFan
05-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Quite the classless post.

GoZags
05-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Got it. I guess this explains Mark Few's continued effusive praise of Killian Tillie ... as a player, as a teammate and as a leader.

Thanks for clearing this up.

jazzdelmar
05-12-2019, 10:48 AM
I love Tils.

DixieZag
05-12-2019, 11:00 AM
I love Tils.

Well, to get back on pace, do you think that he now comes back? And when do you think we'll know one way or another?

MDABE80
05-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Well, to get back on pace, do you think that he now comes back? And when do you think we'll know one way or another?

YES. How much he contributes will be proportionate to his injuries. I'd love to see a whole season of AA play. He can likely do that if he can keep his wheels healthy.

Zags11
05-12-2019, 01:01 PM
I dont think he comes back unfortunately.

gonzagafan62
05-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Well know by end of this month

maynard g krebs
05-12-2019, 01:16 PM

You just joined my relatively small ignore list. Lots of bs assumption in your characterization of Tillie. I found it really offensive.

CB4
05-12-2019, 01:21 PM
You just joined my relatively small ignore list.

:mecry:

Vanzagger
05-12-2019, 04:33 PM
I think a good team will grab him in 1st. Golden State ?

ZagzKrak
05-12-2019, 05:45 PM
If he shows good at the combine then someone will take a chance on him for sure.

Zagger
05-13-2019, 04:58 AM
You just joined my relatively small ignore list. Lots of bs assumption in your characterization of Tillie. I found it really offensive.

Ditto .... My ignore list got up to maybe 4-5 a year ago then I un-ignored them eventually and found their posts to be more sensitive - or they left the board. Now my ignore list numbers 1.

basketballzag
05-13-2019, 05:49 AM

Sometimes sitting back and evaluating before you post something will stop you from posting this :vomit-smiley-007:

TexasZagFan
05-13-2019, 06:52 AM
Ditto .... My ignore list got up to maybe 4-5 a year ago then I un-ignored them eventually and found their posts to be more sensitive - or they left the board. Now my ignore list numbers 1.

So you're telling me I'm off your ignore list? :lmao: (Not that I thought I was ever on one)

former1dog
05-13-2019, 07:22 AM

Its unfair because its completely at odds with the facts. You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

With out fail, those who know about how Tillie prepares his body have nothing but good things to say about him. He is know as a model teammate and a player with an excellent feel and knowledge of the game.

There is absolutely zero information from anyone suggesting that Tillie doesn't put in the work to keep himself healthy. In fact, if anything there has been ample evidence to the contrary.

But, for some inexplicable reason, you post on a public message board a disparaging remark about him that flies in the face of the facts. Why would you do that?

willandi
05-13-2019, 08:41 AM
I am curious, what do people believe Tillie's plan to be?

I know that he has declared and that he can pull back at some time. Has HE stated what his intentions are if he doesn't appear to be getting drafted?

Zags11
05-13-2019, 08:55 AM
I never have put anyone on ignore. I just take it our brains are wired differently and we root and see things differently.

webspinnre
05-13-2019, 08:57 AM
I am curious, what do people believe Tillie's plan to be?

I know that he has declared and that he can pull back at some time. Has HE stated what his intentions are if he doesn't appear to be getting drafted?

Nope, we've got no idea. And what should people on the internet do if they don't know? Speculate! :roll:

Therunner
05-13-2019, 09:01 AM
Norvell has a guarantee.

Guaranteed money, and at very least some type of contractual agreement awaiting him.

Tillie has neither at this point.

An invite to Combine was last minute due to numerous declines. Its awesome he was invited yet nearly did not.

He should return.

The gamble is ridiculously high otherwise.

Tillie, unlike any other player for Gonzaga has a chance to really improve his stock. Norvell was a late 1st Round, likely 2nd Round this year or next. Tillie can prove himself and others he is an elite prospect.

Not just a few draft spots, rather from Undrafted, or late 2nd Rd flyer, to a Lottery Pick type status.

It should be a no brainer IF he is seriously focused/reconsidering NBA.

If he is thinking Europe or a volleyball career, then by all means, go for it. Realize your goals and be paid to do what you love.

If he wants mega money, or to stick in NBA, coming back is his best option. It should be the only option at this point.

Zagdawg
05-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Jonathan Givony

Verified account

@DraftExpress
37s38 seconds ago
More
DeAndre Hunter, Chuma Okeke and Killian Tillie have withdrawn from the NBA Combine, the league office just informed all 30 teams that they will not be available for interviews tonight. Feel free to start speculating as to why (promises, etc).

zagdontzig
05-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Jonathan Givony

Verified account

@DraftExpress
37s38 seconds ago
More
DeAndre Hunter, Chuma Okeke and Killian Tillie have withdrawn from the NBA Combine, the league office just informed all 30 teams that they will not be available for interviews tonight. Feel free to start speculating as to why (promises, etc).

I'm speculating "promises." My bet is he was told to stay healthy and he'd be picked up as an undrafted free agent if he goes undrafted.

Goshzagit
05-13-2019, 03:30 PM
I'm speculating "promises." My bet is he was told to stay healthy and he'd be picked up as an undrafted free agent if he goes undrafted.

I suspect it's due to health reasons and/or limiting teams to assess his ankles, feet, etc.

He can now pick and choose his workouts to teams which have shown interest or he likes. Also, buys him more time to heal.

Keep in mind, Killian averaged 6 mpg, 3 rpg last season.

It's not his current status he is being drafted on, rather his past results and future potential.

The mystique of Tillie is worth more than the current condition/state of Tillie.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-13-2019, 04:06 PM
I think Tils stays in the draft, gets picked (late 1st, early 2nd) and will be in an NBA uniform come opening night this October. If he is withdrawing from the combine because of injuries (which has NOT been reported, so far as I know) then perhaps I'll retract my prediction, but my understanding is that Tillie's injury woes aren't the result of chronic injuries and if that's the case, NBA teams know it. We all know that the NBA drafts on potential, and we all know that Tillie has enormous potential as an NBA player, so the notion that he "needs" to come back to do this or that in order to get drafted in the future doesn't hold up for me. He already came back once to improve his draft stock (I suspect he would have been a 2nd round pick last year), I don't think he needs to do it again.

GrizZAG
05-13-2019, 07:01 PM
From the news tonight on TV I thought to be a statement that he has withdrawn from the NBA draft. If that's the case any chance he comes back here?

Zags11
05-13-2019, 08:58 PM
Spokesman said he was seen in spokane limping around after withdrawing from combine.

MickMick
05-14-2019, 02:55 AM
If you can't run, you can't workout.

Speculation can go in any direction from there.

caldwellzag
05-14-2019, 05:54 AM
I have to believe Tillie returns for his senior year. Good veteran leader for us to mentor the young bigs we have a stable of.

Zagceo
05-14-2019, 06:20 AM
I have to believe Tillie returns for his senior year. Good veteran leader for us to mentor the young bigs we have a stable of.

yes please

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2019, 06:42 AM

Gilder
?
Kispert
Tillie
Petrusev

Provided the ? is a pretty good player this is a very good starting 5 and with the young pups coming off of the bench, a lot of room for growth. If not Ravet as the “?” my dream scenario would be Shamorie Ponds or Ky Bowman if they pull out of the draft.

MileHigh
05-14-2019, 07:53 AM
my dream scenario would be Shamorie Ponds or Ky Bowman if they pull out of the draft.

Ponds isnt a graduate. If he transfers anywhere he has to sit a year

LongIslandZagFan
05-14-2019, 08:03 AM
Spy... I'd say that question mark on your line-up would likely be Brock or Joel. Otherwise I agree with that line-up. Watson spells Kispert, Timme spells Tille and Petrusev

exclusivelee
05-14-2019, 08:21 AM
From Tillie's Instagram feed yesterday: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190514/788d87d6eac4de6340a547f5f06c2474.jpg

basketballzag
05-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Spy... I'd say that question mark on your line-up would likely be Brock or Joel. Otherwise I agree with that line-up. Watson spells Kispert, Timme spells Tille and Petrusev

I would put the money on him returning to Gonzaga for his last year and Watson RSing.

DixieZag
05-14-2019, 09:00 AM
I would put the money on him returning to Gonzaga for his last year and Watson RSing.

Watson?

CB4
05-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Watson is the real deal who could be a one and done so I'd be surprised if he redshirted.

ZagzKrak
05-14-2019, 09:41 AM
I'd be shocked to see any of the incoming bigs RS....I don't think any of them are 4 year guys.

Mr Vulture
05-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Watson is NOT redshirting... :roll:

raise the zag
05-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Watson is the real deal who could be a one and done so I'd be surprised if he redshirted.

Watson is an NBA talent, no doubt. And yes he is the 'real deal', yet he is STILL growing and discovering himself as a basketball player. He considers himself to play (4) positions and very much a tweener.

Even our Coaches don't quite know which position he will play, as Lloyd just said last week he will play the (3), yet also the (4), even the (5).

He will be a difficult projection until he masters a position or two. Also, Watson is very much still learning consistency and growing into his ever developing body and game.

This generally takes an entire year or so to figure out. He isn't ready to be the go-to, #1 option until he can fully refine/develop his game. I compare him to Brandon Clarke, a terrific talent who took a season or two to really discover who, what, and which type of role/position he can play and be the best, most efficient at.

I agree, he won't redshirt, yet I feel he'll be a slow starter within in our structured system. It will take him a half season or more to play with the type of freedom he is used to and to take his game to the next level. Its not quite there yet....but it will be.

I suspect Anton to declare after his Sophomore year, yet not really on any one-and-done radars for next season.

LongIslandZagFan
05-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Ballo might be the only RS of the group... and that might be a very big might.

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2019, 11:41 AM

Really, you think Joel has a shot at starting? Not saying he doesn't, but I'd be pretty shocked if it happened.

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2019, 11:42 AM
Ponds isnt a graduate. If he transfers anywhere he has to sit a year

Are you sure? I thought that I read/heard otherwise.

LongIslandZagFan
05-14-2019, 11:45 AM
Really, you think Joel has a shot at starting? Not saying he doesn't, but I'd be pretty shocked if it happened.

Only because he has a better knowledge of the system. Now, by mid-season, who knows.

Zagceo
05-14-2019, 12:05 PM

I do like Joel's arm length for defense...and if he can tighten handles I can see him getting big minutes.

should be a quick yes no on watching his playing time if he's got the system down.

I really hope he puts on some muscle..protect himself from hard drives.

vandalzag
05-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Watson is an NBA talent, no doubt. And yes he is the 'real deal', yet he is STILL growing and discovering himself as a basketball player. He considers himself to play (4) positions and very much a tweener.

Even our Coaches don't quite know which position he will play, as Lloyd just said last week he will play the (3), yet also the (4), even the (5).

He will be a difficult projection until he masters a position or two. Also, Watson is very much still learning consistency and growing into his ever developing body and game.

This generally takes an entire year or so to figure out. He isn't ready to be the go-to, #1 option until he can fully refine/develop his game. I compare him to Brandon Clarke, a terrific talent who took a season or two to really discover who, what, and which type of role/position he can play and be the best, most efficient at.

I agree, he won't redshirt, yet I feel he'll be a slow starter within in our structured system. It will take him a half season or more to play with the type of freedom he is used to and to take his game to the next level. Its not quite there yet....but it will be.

I suspect Anton to declare after his Sophomore year, yet not really on any one-and-done radars for next season.

The Clarke comparisons do not match up since Brandon could not shoot until this year. Watson is at best a 2 year player. He will be the guy out of this class. Has the skill and work ethic to start from day one and will push Kispert to play the two or come off the bench by the end of the season. Not sure how many games you watched him play at Prep, but they run a structured system built on defense and sharing the ball. What makes Watson so good is his ability to pass and put the ball on the floor.

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2019, 12:28 PM
I do like Joel's arm length for defense...and if he can tighten handles I can see him getting big minutes.

should be a quick yes no on watching his playing time if he's got the system down.

I really hope he puts on some muscle..protect himself from hard drives.

It's weird because I watched the Euro U18's this past summer and he was dominant; slashing to the hoop, pull up 3's, attacking relentlessly, he looked like an alpha male. Yet for us, he seems to really lack confidence. Hopefully that changes this upcoming season.

WallaWallaZag
05-14-2019, 10:18 PM
It's weird because I watched the Euro U18's this past summer and he was dominant; slashing to the hoop, pull up 3's, attacking relentlessly, he looked like an alpha male. Yet for us, he seems to really lack confidence. Hopefully that changes this upcoming season.

he's one of those guys who would probably thrive playing for romar...zags not a great fit from a system perspective.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-15-2019, 02:29 AM

Ayayi did look great w U18 French team; whatever system they ran allowed the players to just go on instinct more than set plays. As has been mentioned, playing in an apparently much more structured offense that relies on players reading the D and then making split second decisions to run play x, y or z based on what the D does is like learning a new game.

Ayayi was 17 when he moved to U.S., lots of talent in front of him each year, now he is in year 3 of his process. I’m hoping a switch flips and he now knows Zags system well enough to play without having to think too much...loose, confident and smart is how he needs to play. Big year for Joel Ayayi coming up; he’s either gonna show marked improvement and earn key minutes this season or not. If not, hard for me to believe it will ever happen for him w Zags.