PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Anyone have any idea what this Gonzaga storage chest might be from...??

gozagswoohoo
05-10-2019, 09:29 AM
So....this is BIZARRE, and SUPER cool. A friend of mine just tagged me in a picture of this storage chest that they found. This is at a resale shop LESS THAN ONE MILE FROM MY HOUSE (in a small town in MISSOURI!!!!). How weird and random is that?? I wonder how the heck this thing ended up here in Missouri, but I'm even more curious as to what the story behind the actual chest is?? Part of me is thinking it might not actually have anything to do with Gonzaga, but that a former grad may have just gotten 'artsy' and stenciled the words onto a random chest.

Thoughts?? Anyone?

And yes, I will be buying this as soon as I get by the store this weekend! How can I not?

https://i.imgur.com/6vJK2Bv.jpg

gonzagafan62
05-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Not if I get there first haha. JK. Go get it. I have nowhere to put it lol

gozagswoohoo
05-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Not if I get there first haha. JK. Go get it. I have nowhere to put it lol

:roll: :roll:

LongIslandZagFan
05-10-2019, 10:03 AM
I do have to say that the font looks like the one they used back in the day when I was there. Might be somewhat legit.

ZagsObserver
05-10-2019, 10:11 AM
ROTC?

Zagceo
05-10-2019, 10:13 AM
ROTC?

exactly what I was gonna say.

Zagdawg
05-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Looks a lot like this..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MILITARY-FOOT-LOCKER-green-chest-trunk-wood-army-wwii-rustic-US-storage/362596963336?hash=item546c769408:g:t6oAAOSwmMNcPpD C

FlyZag
05-10-2019, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that's where Francis keeps his oats

Zag365
05-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Plainly a military footlocker. These were commonly used at least into the 1970s and could be found in any Army barracks for basic trainees - everyone had a footlocker and a vertical clothes locker. They could be found in other military settings as well. Many people stole/bought used ones to store stuff in their backroom or attic because they are fairly airtight and sturdy. Hard to say how the marking got on there, but my WAG is that someone with a connection to GU (alum, faculty?) put a sticker on it to show their Zag pride.

gozagswoohoo
05-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Plainly a military footlocker. These were commonly used at least into the 1970s and could be found in any Army barracks for basic trainees - everyone had a footlocker and a vertical clothes locker. They could be found in other military settings as well. Many people stole/bought used ones to store stuff in their backroom or attic because they are fairly airtight and sturdy. Hard to say how the marking got on there, but my WAG is that someone with a connection to GU (alum, faculty?) put a sticker on it to show their Zag pride.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

And Flyzag- :roll:

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to go look at the trunk in the morning. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be more info, or perhaps a name on the inside?

SunDevilGolfZag
05-10-2019, 11:07 AM
I might fantasize that it was the travel chest for the 1950 NCAA Champions GU Boxing Team and toted the gloves of the great Carl Maxey.

krozman
05-10-2019, 11:20 AM
I'll bet you folding money it's just an old ROTC locker from the 70's/80s. Not sure how it would fit in a GU man cave, but i'll leave that up to you!

Bogozags
05-10-2019, 11:39 AM
I'd love to hear from TexasZagFan as he was in GU's ROTC program...

I have my fathers from WWII and it is nearly air-tight...

gozagswoohoo
05-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Wow, how cool...

And yes! I'd love to hear from TZF on it then too!

TexasZagFan
05-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Sorry guys, don't have much to add here. I never saw a foot locker like that during my days at GU.

O/T, but we had an indoor range on the 4th floor of the Ad Building, where we practiced our .22 target shooting. Nobody ever freaked out when we walked the stairs carrying our rifles with us. I expect the reaction would be different today.

I also recall one of my fellow cadets firing a pistol with blanks in public speaking class. He was using it as a prop. His discipline consisted of a stern talking to.

Hard to believe I'm coming up on the 43rd anniversary of my graduation.

gozagswoohoo
05-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Sorry guys, don't have much to add here. I never saw a foot locker like that during my days at GU.

O/T, but we had an indoor range on the 4th floor of the Ad Building, where we practiced our .22 target shooting. Nobody ever freaked out when we walked the stairs carrying our rifles with us. I expect the reaction would be different today.

I also recall one of my fellow cadets firing a pistol with blanks in public speaking class. He was using it as a prop. His discipline consisted of a stern talking to.

Wow. Very interesting!

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-10-2019, 01:50 PM

We were still using that rifle range during the 1990s. Nobody cared.

I don’t think that is a military foot locker. I never saw one that elaborate. I think it’s an old travel trunk of some kind.

ZagnetitForce
05-10-2019, 02:00 PM
If you find the bones of Bigs McGee in there I know nothing! ��

TexasZagFan
05-10-2019, 02:09 PM
If you find the bones of Bigs McGee in there I know nothing! ��

I’ll wager one of Adrian Buoncristiani’s clipboards is in there...in a hundred pieces. :lmao:

sittingon50
05-10-2019, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that's where Francis keeps his oats

:lmao:

RenoZag
05-10-2019, 03:15 PM

He was nearly expelled. Probably should have been.

GrizZAG
05-10-2019, 10:51 PM
Inspector Clouseau says that green paint was added later, probably to hide banged up edges. The paint drips and over spray on the lettering are telltale. It was all black originally.

Any Grad transfers to Missouri in about 1930?

gozagswoohoo
05-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Update- I bought it today!! It’s really cool. I got a LITTLE more info on it. The owner said he bought it from a local guy, and from what he understood, the guy either WENT to Gonzaga or had some significant connection to GU. He said he would guess the guy is about 70 years old and his name is Steve Brown. The owner said Steve is in the shop often. I left my cell # and asked if he’d pass it along to Steve (not only because I’d like more info on the trunk, but I need all the GU-connection peeps I can get here in Missouri!!).

I’ll keep you all posted if you’re interested.

sittingon50
05-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Congrats woohoo!

Was Geraldo buried inside?

zagbeliever
05-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Cool!!!!

Markburn1
05-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Hey Woohoo. Take that thing to Minnesota, throw Suggs inside and ship it to Spokane. Haha.

webspinnre
05-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Update- I bought it today!! Its really cool. I got a LITTLE more info on it. The owner said he bought it from a local guy, and from what he understood, the guy either WENT to Gonzaga or had some significant connection to GU. He said he would guess the guy is about 70 years old and his name is Steve Brown. The owner said Steve is in the shop often. I left my cell # and asked if hed pass it along to Steve (not only because Id like more info on the trunk, but I need all the GU-connection peeps I can get here in Missouri!!).

Ill keep you all posted if youre interested.

Awesome!

kitzbuel
05-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Hey Woohoo. Take that thing to Minnesota, throw Suggs inside and ship it to Spokane. Haha.

I wonder if that might be a recruiting violation.:confused:

Outraged
05-11-2019, 08:02 PM
We were still using that rifle range during the 1990s. Nobody cared.

I don’t think that is a military foot locker. I never saw one that elaborate. I think it’s an old travel trunk of some kind.

Yes in the 80's shooting was an NCAA sport it helped fulfill the minimum number of sports to fulfill NCAA requirenents. Fitz gave us a $500.00 budget.

ZagaZags
05-11-2019, 09:37 PM

Nothing is in the chest until it's in the chest?

GrizZAG
05-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Yes in the 80's shooting was an NCAA sport it helped fulfill the minimum number of sports to fulfill NCAA requirenents. Fitz gave us a $500.00 budget.

Indeed it was. I was offered a full ride four year scholarship to shoot for University of Alaska Fairbanks in 1971. The sport was a big deal back in the day.

mgadfly
05-13-2019, 12:17 AM
Isn’t it still an NCAA sport? I thought it was but I am getting old and maybe missed them shutting it down.

TexasZagFan
05-13-2019, 03:57 AM
Indeed it was. I was offered a full ride four year scholarship to shoot for University of Alaska Fairbanks in 1971. The sport was a big deal back in the day.

Eastern Washington was by far the best team in our area, they had at least one sharpshooter that would compete in the Olympics, Wanda Jewell.

Although the program was under the wing of the ROTC department, two of my teammates were "civilians"...both were excellent marksmen.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-13-2019, 04:01 AM

Were the competitors asked to purchase your own uniforms and ammo?

Birddog
05-13-2019, 05:34 AM
There was a Stephen Brown from Trenton Ill class of 69 (my class). I don't recall him, he probably hung out in the library not in the Bubble Inn like me. Trenton Ill appears to be about the same distance east of STL as Washington Mo is west.

edit:
A little more digging shows that Mr Brown was a Biology major and that somewhat confirms my suspicion that he wasn't in the Bubble Inn that much. Woohoo, If you run into him, ask him what he thought about Mrs Stanton, my bet is he'll say she was outstanding. He might have known ElVoce too.

TexasZagFan
05-13-2019, 07:54 AM
Were the competitors asked to purchase your own uniforms and ammo?

Good question...I think ROTC covered our ammo costs, and we used the equipment they had on hand...it was all aged. A couple of my teammates, both serious shooters, had their own custom fitted rifles, Anschutz IIRC.

webspinnre
05-13-2019, 08:35 AM
There was a Stephen Brown from Trenton Ill class of 69 (my class). I don't recall him, he probably hung out in the library not in the Bubble Inn like me. Trenton Ill appears to be about the same distance east of STL as Washington Mo is west.

edit:
A little more digging shows that Mr Brown was a Biology major and that somewhat confirms my suspicion that he wasn't in the Bubble Inn that much. Woohoo, If you run into him, ask him what he thought about Mrs Stanton, my bet is he'll say she was outstanding. He might have known ElVoce too.

This is even more fantastic. Gotta love the community.