PDA

View Full Version : Now that Zach's officially not coming back, who's the other starter in the backcourt?

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2019, 05:39 AM
I was thinking about this last night. With ZN all in, Gilder is the obvious starter at 1 guard spot, but then what? No way Ayayi, or GFJ start, doubt Ravet starts with Gilder. Do we slide Corey over to the 2 and play Watson at the 3? Is Nix a possibility to come in and start from the get go? Is there a player currently in the draft that will pull his name out and grad transfer ala Ky Bowman (just using his name as an example)? So many unknowns for our other guard. What say you?

Zagsker
05-10-2019, 05:46 AM
1:Ravet
2:Gilder
3:Kispert

?

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2019, 05:50 AM
1:Ravet
2:Gilder
3:Kispert

?

You think Brock starts, huh? Could be.

willandi
05-10-2019, 05:51 AM

I do.

Zagsker
05-10-2019, 05:52 AM

Not necessarily...just throwing that out there...my thoughts is we have one more coming in.

The R/G/C set is something we will see though

JPtheBeasta
05-10-2019, 06:11 AM
I don’t know about the a priori assumption that combo guard Gilder is the starting PG for this team. The most “obvious” lineup for me is Ravet at PG and Gilder at shooting guard.

Zagdawg
05-10-2019, 06:15 AM
I think we have one more option -- still coming.

IowaSERE
05-10-2019, 06:59 AM
Assuming no one else comes in.

Gilder
Kispert
Watson
Timme
Petrovich

We would need to play some Zone to cover Kispers D

zagfan1970
05-10-2019, 07:05 AM
Assuming no one else comes in.

Gilder
Kispert
Watson
Timme
Petrovich

We would need to play some Zone to cover Kispers D

Petrovich?

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2019, 07:14 AM
I don’t know about the a priori assumption that combo guard Gilder is the starting PG for this team. The most “obvious” lineup for me is Ravet at PG and Gilder at shooting guard.

I didn't say that he would start at pg, just that he would be one of the starting guards, I think we all agree on that. Who the other starter will be is a complete mystery as of now.

Reborn
05-10-2019, 07:17 AM
There has been some talk about Kispert playing the 2, but I just don't see it. I know he is sometimes criticized here on this forum, but I think it has been unfair. He is a really good three, and will be even better next year. We do need his outside shooting, and his rebounding. We know he's a little slow on defense, and needs to improve his footwork, but he could never guard a 2 imo. I believe the Zags have one more scholarship, and maybe two if both Tillie and Norvell turn pro; so let's see what Few does in recruiting. I also do not count out Ayayi. I still give him an outside chance. He could do what the horse who won the Kentucky Derby did. He is going to be one year older, and more experienced at this level of play.

Go Zags!!!

Zagceo
05-10-2019, 07:17 AM
Watson

says he's been working on his ball handling.

willandi
05-10-2019, 07:26 AM
I didn't say that he would start at pg, just that he would be one of the starting guards, I think we all agree on that. Who the other starter will be is a complete mystery as of now.

I believe it will be Ravet, unless someone phenomenal comes in.

former1dog
05-10-2019, 07:27 AM
Absent a grad transfer or Daishen Nix reclassifying, I think Ravet will be the starting PG. I predict if that happens, we will collectively be happy about it come about mid December.

IowaSERE
05-10-2019, 07:44 AM
Petrovich?

Petrusev

willandi
05-10-2019, 08:07 AM
Absent a grad transfer or Daishen Nix reclassifying, I think Ravet will be the starting PG. I predict if that happens, we will collectively be happy about it come about mid December.

I agree, and it may not take that long.

SLOZag
05-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Not necessarily...my thoughts is we have one more coming in. The R/G/C set is something we will see though

C?

Stephen Curry? DeMarcus Cousins? Tyson Chandler? Sam Cassell? Vince Carter? or ... Corey Cispert?

__________________________________________________ _________
I am workimg on posting perfecktly. :)

caldwellzag
05-10-2019, 09:27 AM
Derryck Thornton?

gonstu
05-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Derryck Thornton?

hmmm

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Derryck Thornton?

I sure hope not. He is one of the most underwhelming, under performing five star recruits ever. In his last game in the PAC 12 tournament he scored a grand total of two points versus Washington.He was recruited over at Duke and under performed at USC. I’d rather have Ravet.

Zags_Fanatic
05-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Derryck Thornton?

Interesting...

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Interesting...

I think another derivative of the root word of your post is more appropriate; interested, as in, “I am not interested at all in Thorton playing for Gonzaga.”

FlyZag
05-10-2019, 11:06 AM
I put my money on Ravet starting at PG.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-10-2019, 11:21 AM
I put my money on Ravet starting at PG.

I’m thinking Kispert has a fun season coming up. Likely starting at the 3 and needs to be a primary scorer for this squad. Hoping to see some more Thunder Dan Majerle to his game. CK has the strength and hops to attack the rim more...just needs the handles to improve a bit.

zagfan1970
05-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Gilder
Watson
Kispert
Tillie
Petrusev

JPtheBeasta
05-10-2019, 11:51 AM

I see that now. I saw “at 1 guard spot” and read it as “at the 1-guard spot” (ie PG). Sorry about that.

Zagceo
05-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Iím thinking Kispert has a fun season coming up. Likely starting at the 3 and needs to be a primary scorer for this squad. Hoping to see some more Thunder Dan Majerle to his game. CK has the strength and hops to attack the rim more...just needs the handles to improve a bit.

wouldn't that be nice...we could credit Dickau )

jazzdelmar
05-10-2019, 01:16 PM
wouldn't that be nice...we could credit Dickau )

Better he has DD’s remarkable handle.

kitzbuel
05-10-2019, 01:19 PM
PetrusevThought you had a line on a new, incoming PG!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2019, 01:27 PM
I see that now. I saw “at 1 guard spot” and read it as “at the 1-guard spot” (ie PG). Sorry about that.

No worries. I wrote it kind of oddly

maynard g krebs
05-10-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm 100% at ease w/ Ravet starting at point, which I believe will happen absent a top level, immediately eligible transfer or surprise late signing/reclassification. Ravet, like Pangos or Blake Stepp, is extremely savvy as a coach's kid, and will be ready to go out of the box, on the offensive end at least.

Agree w/ Reborn that Kispert is in no way a two. If he has a position other than the 3, it's as a smallball 4.

Ravet Gilder Kispert and two of Watson/Timme/Petrusev imo.

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2019, 03:07 PM
I'm 100% at ease w/ Ravet starting at point, which I believe will happen absent a top level, immediately eligible transfer or surprise late signing/reclassification. Ravet, like Pangos or Blake Stepp, is extremely savvy as a coach's kid, and will be ready to go out of the box, on the offensive end at least.

Agree w/ Reborn that Kispert is in no way a two. If he has a position other than the 3, it's as a smallball 4.

Ravet Gilder Kispert and two of Watson/Timme/Petrusev imo.

Agree with everything that you wrote, except if Tillie comes back.

maynard g krebs
05-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Agree with everything that you wrote, except if Tillie comes back.

Yeah, hope that's the case; if so obviously it changes the prediction.

Zagsker
05-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Derryck Thornton?

Thornton Mellon

MDABE80
05-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Obvious to whom?? Unless some crazy events shows up, Ravets our PG...
I was thinking about this last night. With ZN all in, Gilder is the obvious starter at 1 guard spot, but then what? No way Ayayi, or GFJ start, doubt Ravet starts with Gilder. Do we slide Corey over to the 2 and play Watson at the 3? Is Nix a possibility to come in and start from the get go? Is there a player currently in the draft that will pull his name out and grad transfer ala Ky Bowman (just using his name as an example)? So many unknowns for our other guard. What say you?

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Obvious to whom?? Unless some crazy events shows up, Ravets our PG...

I did not say that he is the obvious starter at point guard I said he was the obvious starter at one of the guard spots. I worded it oddly.

zagfan1970
05-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Thornton Mellon

no respect

Worthington
05-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't count out the prospect that Ayayi starts over Ravet. Got to keep in mind that Ayayi and Ravet are practically the same age, and Joel has had two years with the program. I still think a major off-season improvement is possible for Ayayi. It is all going to come down to how much time he puts in the weight room, and whether or not his comfort with the offensive scheme improves. The fact that he's remained with the program would indicate to me that the staff still has faith in him and have given him hope that there could be a significant role in his future.

JPtheBeasta
05-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Iíve pulled for Ayayi from day one. Heís an intriguing player because of his length and quickness. He will know the offense and the defensive rotations. Iím not sure if is a PG, though, because I havenít seen enough of him. If not a PG, I would like to see him be a play-making guard in the style of Kyle Dranginis.

exclusivelee
05-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Iíve pulled for Ayayi from day one. Heís an intriguing player because of his length and quickness. He will know the offense and the defensive rotations. Iím not sure if is a PG, though, because I havenít seen enough of him. If not a PG, I would like to see him be a play-making guard in the style of Kyle Dranginis.From his play from the French U18 team which he made all tourney team along with Petrusev, Ayayi was far from a point guard, a combo guard at best, but maining just a shooting guard / wing. Hardly ever brought the ball up the court & didnt facilitate the offense much. Seemed turnover prone at times, but Ayayi sure canslash to the hoop & his length and effort helps him secure a lot of offensive rebounds, pressure on defense, and steal the ball well. Interesting that he is so resistant to dunking

MDABE80
05-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Me too!cor me it’s hard to find reasons how he can look so good at competative BB tournaments and mostly sits here. Skill in spades but he's just not getting time here.
I’ve pulled for Ayayi from day one. He’s an intriguing player because of his length and quickness. He will know the offense and the defensive rotations. I’m not sure if is a PG, though, because I haven’t seen enough of him. If not a PG, I would like to see him be a play-making guard in the style of Kyle Dranginis.

katman50
05-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Ravet and Gilder unless Ayayi explodes preseason. Ravet is going to surprise a lot of folks.

caldwellzag
05-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Derryck Thornton?

Lot of hate going on in the forum for a potential future Zag. He will run the point well, he doesn't need to score.

ZagaZags
05-11-2019, 09:26 PM
The last grad transfer from USC turned out pretty well. 4.3 assists last season for Derryck Thornton was not too shabby. He also hit 85% at the FT line, a few years ago.

cggonzaga
05-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Lot of hate going on in the forum for a potential future Zag. He will run the point well, he doesn't need to score.

And play awesome defense. I’d take that kind of pg!

thespywhozaggedme
05-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Because he can't. I think a lot of the "hate" (and I don't like that word, because it's now used to connote anyone that has an opinion that differs from the person claiming the hate) is because we are a national powerhouse, perennial top 10 team and we're supposed to be ecstatic about bringing in a guy that put up worse numbers across the board than Geno did last season. Thornton's ranking was artificially inflated when he committed to Duke and then he proceeded to bust there when it turned out that he wasn't nearly as good as the hype that preceeded him and then transferred to USC and had a completely underwhelming, underperforming career there. I can't disagree with you more about not needing him to score, that's one thing we do need is a scoring guard next season, Gilder isn't that. Defenses will sag 10 feet of off Thornton like they did against Tre Jones this past season, because he can't shoot to save his life. This team needs a Shamori Ponds, or Ky Bowman, Rayjon Tucker, who just committed to Memphis would've been ideal for this team and to compliment Gilder. Now we're supposed to get excited about a guy that shot 38% from the field and 29% from 3? Seriously? What's the point? Especially if he's going to block the development and growth of Ravet, who I would argue is a better player already that Thornton is. Ironically enough, his best season was his freshman one at Duke:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/3913175/derryck-thornton

thespywhozaggedme
05-12-2019, 08:17 AM
The last grad transfer from USC turned out pretty well. 4.3 assists last season for Derryck Thornton was not too shabby. He also hit 85% at the FT line, a few years ago.

And 66% this past season. Oh, and ZN averaged the exact same 4.3 assists this past season, but unlike Thornton, he can actually put the ball in the hoop.

exclusivelee
05-12-2019, 09:05 AM
And 66% this past season. Oh, and ZN averaged the exact same 4.3 assists this past season, but unlike Thornton, he can actually put the ball in the hoop.Zach averaged 3.1 assists per game... you were quoting Zach's rebounds at 4.3 per game

thespywhozaggedme
05-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Zach averaged 3.1 assists per game... you were quoting Zach's rebounds at 4.3 per game

You’re right, my bad. Thank you for the correction.