PDA

View Full Version : Very Important New Draft Rule

Zags_Fanatic
05-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Just wanted to point this out because it may have slipped under the radar for some. According to new draft rules players can hire an agent, go through the process, stay in the draft and STILL return to school with full eligibility if they aren't drafted but this ONLY comes into play for players invited to the Draft Combine. Because Norvell and more importantly Tillie got invites they could theoretically go through the entire process and still come back to GU after if they aren't drafted. I think Snacks will go in the second round but Tillie might not and there is a chance that we won't get a complete picture until the end of June.

Zagceo
05-07-2019, 01:35 PM
if they get drafted and elect not to sign can they return?

jazzdelmar
05-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Can Sabonis come back? Zbo?

Zags_Fanatic
05-07-2019, 02:15 PM
if they get drafted and elect not to sign can they return?

I don't believe so, but I'm not sure. I think once they are selected eligibility is gone. I imagine that is true for draft night free agent signings as well. It will be interesting to see how many players take advantage of this since 25% of the combine participants won't get drafted and considering his injuries Tillie could easily be part of that group.

Mr Vulture
05-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Just wanted to point this out because it may have slipped under the radar for some. According to new draft rules players can hire an agent, go through the process, stay in the draft and STILL return to school with full eligibility if they aren't drafted but this ONLY comes into play for players invited to the Draft Combine. Because Norvell and more importantly Tillie got invites they could theoretically go through the entire process and still come back to GU after if they aren't drafted. I think Snacks will go in the second round but Tillie might not and there is a chance that we won't get a complete picture until the end of June.

Tillie will be drafted or, at worst, signed after the draft. I can't see him coming back. Remember, we are talking about a guy that would be a first rounder had he not had the injury history. I think all of Clark, Rui, Tillie, and Norvell have played their last game for the Zags. If I'm wrong, great, but I don't think I am.

KStyles
05-07-2019, 03:21 PM
That rule is contingent upon the NBA adding a rule making undrafted NCAA players ineligible for the NBA until the end of the following NCAA season (to prevent guys from returning to college and then getting called up to the NBA in the middle of the college season). I don't believe the NBA has added that rule yet.

NBA draft flexibility
College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and arenít drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

gonstu
05-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Too much reminiscing music man - haven't you heard? future is shades-worthy.

jazzdelmar
05-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Too much reminiscing music man - haven't you heard? future is shades-worthy.

Ok, could be. Just let me know which one is the next Sabonis?

CDC84
05-07-2019, 05:52 PM
I still say Tillie comes back to prove he can stay healthy for the NBA folks, boosting his stock. Lots of speculation around the net that our Russian center could choose to play another year at Montverde next season. This one thing is from February, but I have also read a couple of things as recent as a couple of weeks ago

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/ars-rescue-rooter-national-hoopfest-bossi-s-breakdown

Mark Few and the Bulldogs have arguably their best recruiting class ever coming in and that's not a good thing to think about for schools out West. As celebrated as their class is, big man Pavel Zakharov
is still a bit of a mystery. He won't be for too long because the guy can really play. He's every bit of 6-foot-10, runs the floor very well, has touch and has the upside to perhaps play at the highest level at some point in the future. There is still a chance that he could wait until the 2020-21 season to make his way to campus, but whenever he arrives he's a potential difference maker and not many schools have a better big man combo on the way than the Zags do with Zakharov and five-star Drew Timme

Zagdawg
05-07-2019, 06:02 PM
He signed his letter of intent already---- he could probably wait another year still.

Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
Montverde Academy Basketball

@MVABasketball
1m1 minute ago
More
Congrats to Montverde CBD players Trae Broadnax on signing with Navy and Pavel Zakharov signing with Gonzaga University!

https://twitter.com/MVABasketball/st...06190117199877

webspinnre
05-07-2019, 06:03 PM
I still say Tillie comes back to prove he can stay healthy for the NBA folks, boosting his stock. Lots of speculation around the net that our Russian center could choose to play another year at Montverde next season. This one thing is from February, but I have also read a couple of things as recent as a couple of weeks ago

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/ars-rescue-rooter-national-hoopfest-bossi-s-breakdown

That's interesting, and given our other big recruits coming in, spacing an extra year probably wouldn't be a terrible thing.

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2019, 07:10 PM
That's interesting, and given our other big recruits coming in, spacing an extra year probably wouldn't be a terrible thing.

They have that already, it's called redshirting. He already signed his LOI.

Zagger
05-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Ok, could be. Just let me know which one is the next Sabonis?

Timme maybe? GU is the place it can happen :)

webspinnre
05-07-2019, 09:38 PM
They have that already, it's called redshirting. He already signed his LOI.

Signing an LOI doesn't mean that he couldn't decide to return for another year there, and him delaying a year might provide flexibility on scholarships for a transfer (Jenkins?).

MDABE80
05-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Lololol

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2019, 05:26 AM
Signing an LOI doesn't mean that he couldn't decide to return for another year there, and him delaying a year might provide flexibility on scholarships for a transfer (Jenkins?).

Link? And we already have room for Jenkins 'cause Larson is off schollie.

webspinnre
05-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Link? And we already have room for Jenkins 'cause Larson is off schollie.

It's not like an LOI is a binding contract with Gonzaga that he'll attend here in the fall. It's an NCAA mechanism that affects scholarships and recruiting. In any case, this is all speculation until further information comes out.

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2019, 07:08 AM
It's not like an LOI is a binding contract with Gonzaga that he'll attend here in the fall. It's an NCAA mechanism that affects scholarships and recruiting. In any case, this is all speculation until further information comes out.

You said that a signed LOI doesn’t preclude someone from going back to high school.

webspinnre
05-08-2019, 07:27 AM
You said that a signed LOI doesn’t preclude someone from going back to high school.

That's correct - it isn't binding except with regards to the NCAA and scholarship allocation. For example, if a student failed to graduate high school, but had signed an LOI, would they still be expected to attend? If they chose to instead go play overseas, would there be penalties for them not attending?

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2019, 08:14 AM
That's correct - it isn't binding except with regards to the NCAA and scholarship allocation. For example, if a student failed to graduate high school, but had signed an LOI, would they still be expected to attend? If they chose to instead go play overseas, would there be penalties for them not attending?

If he failed to graduate high school, he wouldn't have had the grades to get into Gonzaga in the first place. And why would someone sign an LOI to accept a schollie to play college hoops in the states and then go overseas? can you give me real world examples of either of your scenarios ever occurring? I think you're just making stuff up now.