PDA

View Full Version : O Ye of Little Faith

former1dog
04-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Good grief, the negativity around here is nearly stifling.

How many of you, especially the sky is falling type, really believe that any of the NBA declarations that have happened were not known about/anticipated and appropriately planned for by the coaching staff? You know, that group of men who have guided the program to 20 consecutive NCAA appearances and continually surprised and delighted this fan base over and over again for literally 2 decades.

A lot of you act like we have a bunch of rookies running this thing called Gonzaga basketball and have left our cupboard bare.

I for one have zero worries that we'll have a very good to great team once again next year.

Stealing from GoZags, as a fan base we know less than 5% of what is actually going on. Individually though, we do have some folks that are actually in the know and we should likely perk up a bit when they post. GoZags would be one and CaldwellZag would be another.

LongIslandZagFan
04-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Complaints about polly-annas stifling negative nancys coming in 3... 2... 1...

former1dog
04-24-2019, 08:26 AM

:roll:

bartruff1
04-24-2019, 08:41 AM
I am not a person of faith.....To quote Inspector Clouseau…. I know what I know (5%) but I do not know what I do not know (95%).....

If I get new or better information, I will change my mind......to paraphrase John Maynard Keynes...;)

Zagceo
04-24-2019, 08:45 AM
Here's my opinion on how far our recruiting has come in short amount of time.

2015-16 Przemek goes down with back injury and Zags need win in WCC tourney to make dance

2018-19 Tillie goes down with foot problems and Zags 1 or 2 possessions from Final Four

ZigZagger
04-24-2019, 09:40 AM
I know what I know (5%) but I do not know what I do not know (95%).....

So you admit that you are 95% uninformed.

Is there anything less valuable in the world than an uninformed opinion?

kitzbuel
04-24-2019, 09:47 AM

No opinion.

bartruff1
04-24-2019, 09:48 AM
Or a wrong opinion....

Mojo13
04-24-2019, 10:17 AM
Read recently that there are over 230 Early Entry declarations for the 2019 NBA Draft. I think the deadline to declare was last night. The vast majority of these kids will be returning to school.

With the new rule changes there is virtually no harm for a player to declare.

Ezag
04-24-2019, 10:38 AM
We will more than fine next year. There are plenty of other teams who would like "our problems" for the next season

Markburn1
04-24-2019, 10:59 AM
I have total confidence that the coaching staff has planned for contingencies. Sometimes plans don't come to fruition. There are still legitimate concerns for next year's team. That includes PG minutes and inexperience with the talented recruiting class. I'm sure the staff is working hard to cover any holes that might be created by early outs but they aren't infallible. Few has an excellent track record but I'll bet he doesn't wake up in the morning thinking everything will magically work out.

What is hilarious to me is the thread in the Foo that is basically complaining about the complainers. Haha.

maynard g krebs
04-24-2019, 11:03 AM
to paraphrase Maynard ...;)

You rang?

JPtheBeasta
04-24-2019, 11:17 AM
I understand the dynamic that it is very hard to recruit players to spots that are full, with incoming players having no hope of playing time. This makes the situation with the big men this year very understandable.

I just don’t see how the plan all along was to find a grad transfer to start at PG this year.

kitzbuel
04-24-2019, 11:19 AM
I understand the dynamic that it is very hard to recruit players to spots that are full, with incoming players having no hope of playing time. This makes the situation with the big men this year very understandable.

I just don’t see how the plan all along was to find a grad transfer to start at PG this year.

The plan was probably Jesse Wade. Things changed.

webspinnre
04-24-2019, 11:21 AM

Agreed with Kitz - I think the plan was for a combination of Wade and possibly Ayayi. Obviously neither have worked out, to this point, at least.

JPtheBeasta
04-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Interesting thoughts on Wade.

Zagceo
04-24-2019, 12:00 PM
people compare PG's to QB's.....one huge difference...college basketball teams don't carry 3 or 4 PG's.

My guess Norvell is option 1 next year. Convert running back to QB. )

TexasZagFan
04-24-2019, 12:30 PM

But I know an ascheloche when I see one. :lmao:

ZigZagger
04-24-2019, 01:44 PM
But I know an ascheloche when I see one. :lmao:

Wow, calling me an a-hole in german. That's classy...

LTownZag
04-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Why would you possibly assume that the "plan" was to have no PG and need to find a grad transfer, just simply because that's how things ended up?

Obviously we were rolling out the red carpet and going full-court to woo Brandon Williams - he was part of "the plan". We also had Jesse Wade - he too was part of the plan. We had Ayayi and Foster - their potential to develop this year was part of the plan.

That's all in addition to other high-level transfer or freshman PGs we might have pursued, planned to used, and who didn't end up as Zags.

Seriously, saying our "plan" was to have no PG since that's how things shook out is like saying our "plan" was for Tillie to be injured twice and miss most of the season.

TexasZagFan
04-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Wow, calling me an a-hole in german. That's classy...

Yeah, about as classy as the shot you took at Bart.

ZigZagger
04-24-2019, 03:41 PM
I didn't attack Bart personally - he's probably a great guy and not an ascheloch at all. I was just saying that opinions based on next to zero information are pretty useless - apparently you feel otherwise.

TexasZagFan
04-24-2019, 03:57 PM
I didn't attack Bart personally - he's probably a great guy and not an ascheloch at all. I was just saying that opinions based on next to zero information are pretty useless - apparently you feel otherwise.

Hey, this is a chat room, and last season is barely over. Tell you what, if we ever meet, the first round is on me, paraphrasing George Patton, “one ascheloche to another.” ;)

ZigZagger
04-24-2019, 04:00 PM
We're both oldtime Zags who aren't strangers to a beer now and then. There is a good chance we have already shared a round or two - and I would welcome the opportunity to do so again.

MickMick
04-24-2019, 04:57 PM
GU could finish in last place and I would still be a fan.

Doesn't mean I won't throw a post game tantrum once in awhile (if they do finish there).

What you expect anything else from someone that has two decades of emotional investment?

Realistically, I think there is a great chance they finish in the top three and my faith in GU hoops has me believing they will likely take home another trophy and get another NCAA bid.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Read recently that there are over 230 Early Entry declarations for the 2019 NBA Draft. I think the deadline to declare was last night. The vast majority of these kids will be returning to school.

With the new rule changes there is virtually no harm for a player to declare.

I hope some nationally well known and respected sports journalist will take a deep dive look at this new reality of college players being able to declare early, hire an agent, test the waters and still return to school as long as they withdraw by May 29th. Once it has played out, do a thorough analysis of the what it means practically: how many declared early; how many of those players got invited to combine and/or to work out for NBA team(s); how many declared but got no such meaningful feedback/opportunity; what % of early declared got drafted, what % returned to school etc etc.

“Why not test the waters and get some feedback” sounds like a no brainer in theory, but 230 is a big #. How beneficial is it, or is it even detrimental, for those who get nada in terms of combine invite or opportunity to work out for a team?

Take it another step and get anonymous feedback from their college coaches: how does it impact recruiting (does it)?; how does it impact team dynamics?; do they simply tell any underclassmen player of theirs who wants to to go ahead and test the waters?

I’m very curious about the ripple effects, pros and cons of this new reality.

Zagceo
04-24-2019, 06:25 PM
I hope some nationally well known and respected sports journalist will take a deep dive look at this new reality of college players being able to declare early, hire an agent, test the waters and still return to school as long as they withdraw by May 29th. Once it has played out, do a thorough analysis of the what it means practically: how many declared early; how many of those players got invited to combine and/or to work out for NBA team(s); how many declared but got no such meaningful feedback/opportunity; what % of early declared got drafted, what % returned to school etc etc.

“Why not test the waters and get some feedback” sounds like a no brainer in theory, but 230 is a big #. How beneficial is it, or is it even detrimental, for those who get nada in terms of combine invite or opportunity to work out for a team?

Take it another step and get anonymous feedback from their college coaches: how does it impact recruiting (does it)?; how does it impact team dynamics?; do they simply tell any underclassmen player of theirs who wants to to go ahead and test the waters?

Doesn't Gonzaga have a Professional Sports Management MBA program that does this type of research? or should have )

DixieZag
04-25-2019, 04:32 AM

Yes, great points.

I especially share the view that this has expanded such now that "get good feedback" becomes near irrelevant. When you're one of hundreds, how many people are going to give you feedback? And in my mind, there's little that is more dangerous than getting feedback from only one or two people. They might mean well, they might not. They might read it right, they might not.

Only way to get feedback that is valuable is get 12-15 or more people weighing in on where you stand.

TexasZagFan
04-25-2019, 05:36 AM
Out of those 230, I suspect over 150 of them will receive body blows to their egos. There's not enough turnover in the NBA to accommodate half of these prospects.

There hasn't been much talk of NBA expansion...it appears to me the focus will be on growing the G League, and expanding their international footprint (Mexico City for starters). In the era of the superteam, expansion will do nothing but grow the number of teams that don't stand a chance in hell of winning a title.

GrizZAG
04-25-2019, 05:49 AM
Have we seen anything different of value that our guys have brought back from going there in the past and returning?

gonzagafan62
04-25-2019, 06:33 AM
Have we seen anything different of value that our guys have brought back from going there in the past and returning?

Only happened with JW3, and he did work on his game, though not sure how much it really helped. Hard to know

WallaWallaZag
04-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Only happened with JW3, and he did work on his game, though not sure how much it really helped. Hard to know

it really doesn't have that much to do with a guy's game...they know what they need to work on. it's more about going through the process and learning where they stand/getting comfortable with everything...and hey, the sports industry is a big business and this is a great networking opportunity.

willandi
04-25-2019, 07:49 AM
The problem is that the entire starting group has either graduated or declared...Yeah I know that Kispert hasn't left, but many here believe that JJ should have been the starter.

It is easy to see where the angst comes from. I mean, it isn't as though this coaching staff has any kind of track record. And then you get the naysayers like GoZags that tell us that that same staff believes that Ravet will be the starting PG and will do a good job, along with not one, but two potential grad transfers.

Why would any normal fan disregard ALL that and not panic?

jazzdelmar
04-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Speaking for myself, I am a GU fan but also a fan of CBB and the last 12-18 months have seen a wave of lamentable events that have cast a pall on the game. Now comes full blown this new paradigm of just about any breathing D1 player declaring for at least an MRI at the hands of the NBA. What is it now, 300 would be, early departees? That's nonsense and additionally taints the game, IMO. At home here, we have 3 kids who should go, there is money there. Then we have a very nice college player who got an unprecedented leash from Few and now and then delivered on that. He's not in any top 60 that I have seen. On the heels of that, our 8th man with a world of talent but very little in the way of development declares as well. Yes, this is the new world order, but I don't have to like it. So I am still 100% behind Few and Co., we will be fine. But the game I have loved all my life, well, is sick.

bigblahla
04-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Speaking for myself, I am a GU fan but also a fan of CBB and the last 12-18 months have seen a wave of lamentable events that have cast a pall on the game. Now comes full blown this new paradigm of just about any breathing D1 player declaring for at least an MRI at the hands of the NBA. What is it now, 300 would be, early departees? That's nonsense and additionally taints the game, IMO. At home here, we have 3 kids who should go, there is money there. Then we have a very nice college player who got an unprecedented leash from Few and now and then delivered on that. He's not in any top 60 that I have seen. On the heels of that, our 8th man with a world of talent but very little in the way of development declares as well. Yes, this is the new world order, but I don't have to like it. So I am still 100% behind Few and Co., we will be fine. But the game I have loved all my life, well, is sick.

Jazz ol buddy... all about the ducats....filthy lucre... basketball is a TEAM sport.... IMO the money has put a big fat invisible I in the Middle of TEAM.... what used to be about us and we is fast becoming about me... It is an institutional issue that sadly is only going to get worse... Thank God for GU and I mean that.... I too am a fan of the game but only one TEAM is my TEAM.... "In Few We Trust" win lose or draw... Zags 100% always...

Go!! Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
04-25-2019, 11:41 AM

I have a partial solution to your woes, jazz. Hop in the car and take a drive 20 miles south to Oceanside. Spend an hour or two at the tasting room for Holmes Estate Cellars. I think I spent $15 for one of their tasting flights, and I ended up shipping half a case (mixed) back to Texas. My daughter loved the Sauvignon Blanc, and all of the 3 Shiraz vintages were spectacular.

I spent two hours there, while Mrs. TZF and Big D were exploring the beach. It was the perfect respite after two days at Legoland, and in transit to Anaheim. You have beautiful weather out there, jazz, and the balmy ocean breezes were the perfect antidote to a typical brutal North Texas summer.

Back to hoops: although it would take just one team to tell Filip they'll draft him (as a project, on a team looking to tank next season), I just don't see that happening. Filip's development will be hastened next year by the newcomers, and not having to play behind two (potential) lottery picks.

As I said before, probably 150 of those entrants are going to have their bubble burst when they talk with various scouts.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2019, 12:11 PM
I have a partial solution to your woes, jazz. Hop in the car and take a drive 20 miles south to Oceanside. Spend an hour or two at the tasting room for Holmes Estate Cellars. I think I spent $15 for one of their tasting flights, and I ended up shipping half a case (mixed) back to Texas. My daughter loved the Sauvignon Blanc, and all of the 3 Shiraz vintages were spectacular.

I spent two hours there, while Mrs. TZF and Big D were exploring the beach. It was the perfect respite after two days at Legoland, and in transit to Anaheim. You have beautiful weather out there, jazz, and the balmy ocean breezes were the perfect antidote to a typical brutal North Texas summer.

Back to hoops: although it would take just one team to tell Filip they'll draft him (as a project, on a team looking to tank next season), I just don't see that happening. Filip's development will be hastened next year by the newcomers, and not having to play behind two (potential) lottery picks.

As I said before, probably 150 of those entrants are going to have their bubble burst when they talk with various scouts.

Thanks for the tip (O'side is north; LaJolla, Torrey Pines slightly south :)......Just came back from the beach. Zonies and spring breakers still evident. Still, plenty of room for everyone. Next time you're here, call me......On Petrol, yea, that's what I was thinking. OK, he might have a beef, not getting much run. But Zach, all that slack.....no loyalty to Few? C'mon....Just bothers me.....Hope your boy Timmy doesn't split after a yr.

DixieZag
04-25-2019, 12:47 PM

Well, to be a little fair, there's nothing wrong with good-faith questions about whether the team will struggle significantly with youth. I find it boring to hear just how great we are with every post. I might wholly agree we're great, still worth looking at a counter argument.

I am sure you're fine with that. Just pointing it out.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Jazz ol buddy... all about the ducats....filthy lucre... basketball is a TEAM sport.... IMO the money has put a big fat invisible I in the Middle of TEAM.... what used to be about us and we is fast becoming about me... It is an institutional issue that sadly is only going to get worse... Thank God for GU and I mean that.... I too am a fan of the game but only one TEAM is my TEAM.... "In Few We Trust" win lose or draw... Zags 100% always...

Go!! Zags!!!

Really enjoying everyone’s comments on this new world of unfettered testing of NBA waters. Bigblahla, agrée w what you’re saying here. I’d add that the inherent tension any D1 coach has to live in - wanting what’s best for each individual player AND what is best for the team / program / school - becomes heightened as the talent you recruit improves. 4 & 5 star players are using the school as stage upon which to earn a draft pick..nothing wrong w that; it is what it is. This ain’t no slipper still fits Gonzaga anymore; I love that and rue that all at once.

Zagsker
04-25-2019, 05:07 PM

Agree, if anything the window from declare to final decision needs to get smaller

JPtheBeasta
04-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Perhaps you could have each team pick 5 guys (or some arbitrary number) to invite into the draft process. It’s simialr to what’s going on with the camp invites but would keep 250+ guys from spinning their wheels by declaring when nobody is really interested.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2019, 06:06 PM
Perhaps you could have each team pick 5 guys (or some arbitrary number) to invite into the draft process. It’s simialr to what’s going on with the camp invites but would keep 250+ guys from spinning their wheels by declaring when nobody is really interested.

But these 300 kids all think they’re gonna be pros. From the 4th grade they’ve heard this. Enabled and coddled by the toxic AAU environment. Playing on 3 or 4 different travel teams.....at the same time. Loyalty is just not something they’ve been exposed to or learned about.

bartruff1
04-25-2019, 07:06 PM
I don't see a problem ...the kids should have every opportunity to pursue their ambitions....just like everyone else...

There have been dozens of players that have left Gonzaga for a opportunity to play for another program...no one is ever upset about that.... it is only the players YOU want to stay for your own selfish reasons ...should Clarke have stayed at San Jose ??? Of course not. Should Wade have stayed at Gonzaga ??? Of course not...

GrizZAG
04-25-2019, 07:27 PM
It seems to be a foregone conclusion that Tillie will not be back even if he does nothing in the draft. Why? Has he said he was going back to Europe if NBA doesn't work out? And Norvell, IMO he hasn't shown NBA level skill yet. If he doesn't get a look will he be gone for certain either way? His goodbye message was a little disconcerting actually because I don't see him cutting the mustard just yet so where's he going? Maybe he knows he isn't NBA material and perhaps thinks he needs to make a move to generate income one way or another??
Both of these guys would have a giant role if they return. I hope they do.

JPtheBeasta
04-25-2019, 07:41 PM
It seems to be a foregone conclusion that Tillie will not be back even if he does nothing in the draft. Why? Has he said he was going back to Europe if NBA doesn't work out? And Norvell, IMO he hasn't shown NBA level skill yet. If he doesn't get a look will he be gone for certain either way? His goodbye message was a little disconcerting actually because I don't see him cutting the mustard just yet so where's he going? Maybe he knows he isn't NBA material and perhaps thinks he needs to make a move to generate income one way or another??
Both of these guys would have a giant role if they return. I hope they do.

There was a lot of talk by someone (maybe plural, I don’t recall) since almost day one that he didn’t like school and was going pro early, even if that meant Europe. Given his pro volleyball pedigree, he has options if he wants them.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-26-2019, 02:16 AM
I don't see a problem ...the kids should have every opportunity to pursue their ambitions....just like everyone else...

There have been dozens of players that have left Gonzaga for a opportunity to play for another program...no one is ever upset about that.... it is only the players YOU want to stay for your own selfish reasons ...should Clarke have stayed at San Jose ??? Of course not. Should Wade have stayed at Gonzaga ??? Of course not...

You are missing the point many are raising here. Nobody is saying players shouldn’t have the opportunity to pursue their ambitions. The issue is that w the new rules there is now damn near 300 underclassmen who have declared for the NBA draft. The NBA typically invites 70-80 players to the NBA combine, so how many of these early entries are actually going to get quality (accurate, true, wise) feedback that will benefit them in making an informed decision about leaving college early and surrendering the opportunity to get a degree tuition free. Also, how does it impact college recruiting, team dynamics etc

bartruff1
04-26-2019, 05:46 AM
That is one of the points ..I'm not missing it at all....I don't have any problem with that .... I don't care if a 1000 want to attend....the NBA can sort it out... ..as TZF points out, most will get a valuable lesson in reality...

Those that cannot get to the NBA Combine ….. can return to school …...or play in a lesser professional league....good for them..... It is what it is...

Reborn
04-26-2019, 06:39 AM
I see nothing wrong with these Zags wanting to get feedback about their game, and what they need to do in the next year to put themselves into a better spot to be drafted. I look back some years when Harris did just that. I think he may have been the first Zag to do that. Others followed that trend. I don't see where it hurt either those players who "checked that out" nor did it hurt the team. It certainly never hurt our recruiting as our recruiting is at an all time high. After finals are over there won't be much going on for these guys; so why not do something that could be a good experience and fun.

I know. I almost always look at the bright side of things. That's just who I am.

Go Zags!!!

Plainsman
04-27-2019, 09:14 AM
Well, to be a little fair, there's nothing wrong with good-faith questions about whether the team will struggle significantly with youth. I find it boring to hear just how great we are with every post. I might wholly agree we're great, still worth looking at a counter argument.

I am sure you're fine with that. Just pointing it out.

I agree. In the event the Zags are unable to land a PG transfer (which hopefully will not happen), I find those blithely assuming that a true freshman point guard can step in and run a championship level program without a hitch to be operating at a high level of wishful thinking. Could it happen? Maybe. But the transition from high school ball to high level college ball is a huge step up, especially at the PG position.

JPtheBeasta
04-27-2019, 09:45 AM
That is one of the points ..I'm not missing it at all....I don't have any problem with that .... I don't care if a 1000 want to attend....the NBA can sort it out... ..as TZF points out, most will get a valuable lesson in reality...

Those that cannot get to the NBA Combine ….. can return to school …...or play in a lesser professional league....good for them..... It is what it is...

I think it's more about causing excessive worry in obsessive fan bases (this includes myself) who probably put too much emotional investment in the decisions of 20-year-olds playing a sport. I really want Norvell to come back, but I wouldn't blame for jumping with the uncertainty around the team next year. He's already seen the college basketball promised land and fell just short of getting in-- and he may be wandering around the wilderness next year with a goal of just making the tournament.

JPtheBeasta
04-27-2019, 09:49 AM
I see nothing wrong with these Zags wanting to get feedback about their game, and what they need to do in the next year to put themselves into a better spot to be drafted. I look back some years when Harris did just that. I think he may have been the first Zag to do that. Others followed that trend. I don't see where it hurt either those players who "checked that out" nor did it hurt the team. It certainly never hurt our recruiting as our recruiting is at an all time high. After finals are over there won't be much going on for these guys; so why not do something that could be a good experience and fun.

I know. I almost always look at the bright side of things. That's just who I am.

Go Zags!!!

Just having the opportunity to match up against other high-level talent in games in the off-season has to be intriguing to these guys. The temptation of $100k in the G-league has to be strong for those that aren't strong students and don't necessarily want to be in school any more. This year seems like somewhat of an experiment, and I image that if this doesn't work out for the NCAA and, more importantly, the NBA, things will change.

Zagger
04-28-2019, 02:02 PM
I’m itching for KITK :)

maynard g krebs
04-28-2019, 03:30 PM
I find those blithely assuming that a true freshman point guard can step in and run a championship level program without a hitch to be operating at a high level of wishful thinking. Could it happen? Maybe. But the transition from high school ball to high level college ball is a huge step up, especially at the PG position.

Some people here have played basketball at a fairly high level; Reborn is one. Others like myself have played it at a much lower level, in my case hs jv and college intramurals, and 40 years of pickup ball. But we both agree that Ravet is a special talent who will surprise skeptics with his elite ball handling, passing, and shooting. People talk about his scoring, but imo his greatest strength is his floor vision and passing. The only issue w/ him is defense imo.

Calling this a blithe assumption is a bit dismissive imo. I grew up watching all the great pg's of Philly's Big Five in the late 60's and early 70's. Coach K said about 10-15 years ago that, in those days, you could you could find 7 pg's in the Philly catholic league, and now you can't find 7 in the whole Northeast. Ravet has the skill set of a Philly pg of a bygone era, something you don't see much of today. What Dickau had. A few people here have recently suggested that Dickau was mostly a shooter, and I couldn't disagree more. He was a great shooter, but he was a great floor leader/setup guy as well.

You never know for sure until a kid does it on a higher level, but people in the know have said that the coaches believe Ravet could have contributed on the past year's team, and that makes me more confident in my assessment.

jazzdelmar
04-28-2019, 03:50 PM
If Ravet is a billy Oakes, Steve Courtin, Matt Guokas Junior, I’m down with that. Even a Curt Fromal. :)...DD was arguably best leader ever, close by are Matt S and NWG.

Some people here have played basketball at a fairly high level; Reborn is one. Others like myself have played it at a much lower level, in my case hs jv and college intramurals, and 40 years of pickup ball. But we both agree that Ravet is a special talent who will surprise skeptics with his elite ball handling, passing, and shooting. People talk about his scoring, but imo his greatest strength is his floor vision and passing. The only issue w/ him is defense imo.

Calling this a blithe assumption is a bit dismissive imo. I grew up watching all the great pg's of Philly's Big Five in the late 60's and early 70's. Coach K said about 10-15 years ago that, in those days, you could you could find 7 pg's in the Philly catholic league, and now you can't find 7 in the whole Northeast. Ravet has the skill set of a Philly pg of a bygone era, something you don't see much of today. What Dickau had. A few people here have recently suggested that Dickau was mostly a shooter, and I couldn't disagree more. He was a great shooter, but he was a great floor leader/setup guy as well.

You never know for sure until a kid does it on a higher level, but people in the know have said that the coaches believe Ravet could have contributed on the past year's team, and that makes me more confident in my assessment.

maynard g krebs
04-28-2019, 03:52 PM
If Ravet is a billy Oakes, Steve Courtin, Matt Guokas Junior, I’m down with that. Even a Curt Fromal. :)

Dan Kelly.

jazzdelmar
04-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Dan Kelly.

Jimmy Lyman, Dave Wohl, Wali Jones.

Larryzag
04-28-2019, 06:50 PM

I have come to respect your opinion on this board more and more. Thanks for the encouragement about our pg situation next year.

zag67
04-29-2019, 05:22 AM
I also want to thank Maynard and Reborn for all of their insight. I am really looking forward to watching next years team grow. So many new pieces and Cory and Petro the leaders in the beginning. With Zach probably leaving, I could see them forced to play big and possibly go zone. It should be a fun year. I will also hope that Ayayi and Foster step up and play solid minutes

bigblahla
04-29-2019, 07:13 AM

I definitely agree.... it's silly to disregard coach speak on Ravet and after watching him in the State "B" tournament barring injury he will be a diamond if he can get over the hump in the difference of speed and athleticism he'll face in D1.... once he makes that adjustment I think we're all in for a treat... the kid can pass the rock... his game reminds me a lot of Captain Matt with the herky jerky motion that throws off defenders, some Pangos too... he can almost score at will but with the weapons he'll be surrounded by his passing will be the focal point of the offense... the kid stays four years and there will be a new assist record at GU.... great vision and command of the floor... he'll need some help but the cupboard is a long ways from being bare concerning Brock Ravet...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
04-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Glad to hear all this praise about Ravet's game. We'll need him to be all that.

Next year will be the first year ever I might have to buy a program.

bartruff1
04-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear all this praise about Ravet's game. We'll need him to be all that.

Next year will be the first year ever I might have to buy a program.

Has Few ever said anything about him starting ??? With about 8 of the top ten players leaving...including two All Americans and two fifth year point guards off a EE Team..... that locker room must be like a morgue...at least until the freshmen come bouncing in....

I will also need a program...