PDA

View Full Version : Petrusev Ceiling or Comparisons

LTownZag
04-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Warning - nothing but idle speculation and conjecture ahead.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the kind of season we might see from Petrusev next year but especially the year after?

At 6'11" and able to hit the 3 pt shot it seems like he could be a huge impact guy but it also seems with our incoming players, Petrusev's defensive and rebounding woes, and occasional weak/soft hands and slippery fingers, it's possible he'll be passed over. Does "motor"/intensity develop, or remain innately fixed?

I was dreaming about the possibility of a team 2 years from now with:

Suggs/Harris/Ravet Strawther/Watson/Kispert Timme/Ballo/Zakharov

My "ceiling" hope was that he'd be a slightly taller Tillie type player without the injury woes, but I don't see him ever being as bouncy, assertive, or having nearly the on-court vision/passing/BB intuition. If anyone remembers our Illinois game or listened to that team's season later on, they had a freshman eastern European big man named giorgi bezhanishvili who was very impressive despite being a little shorter. He had some really crafty post moves and plays hard nosed defense.

What would Petrusev need to do to be somewhere closer to Lauri Markannenen (Arizona, Chicago Bulls)?

LongIslandZagFan
04-19-2019, 09:36 AM
If he can be better about not bringing the ball down after rebounds and works a bit more on his post skills, then the ceiling is quite high.

sylean
04-19-2019, 10:41 AM
how about stop dissin our players before they even get a decent chance to prove themselves.....people doubted Brandon......

DixieZag
04-19-2019, 10:56 AM
how about stop dissin our players before they even get a decent chance to prove themselves.....people doubted Brandon......

Legitimate critique of play, while also acknowledging what a player does super well, is not, IMO, "dissing" our players.

I am fully on-board for not unfairly calling kids out personally. They are kids, not grown men, they're not paid to play.

OTOH, they are absolute elite level athletes that play the game at an international level and don't expect total kid-glove treatment, either. If it relates to play on the floor, if it's balanced, I don't see anything wrong with the thread.

I suspect everyone here wants him to develop to his full potential, and being a GU big, there is a lot of reason for hope.

Reborn
04-19-2019, 11:02 AM
I have high hopes for Petrusev. I thought he played well before Tillie came back. I think he will put on weight and muscle, and develop more post moves. As we know he's an outstanding 3 point shooter and we need that. I think he'll have a place at GU, and I'm looking forward to seeing him mature.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
04-19-2019, 11:09 AM
If he can be better about not bringing the ball down after rebounds and works a bit more on his post skills, then the ceiling is quite high.

I'd like to see him develop a power move to the hoop, one that's set up by faking a shot from 3.

Playing against/with Timme and Oumar in practice should benefit his development, i.e. getting better at mixing it up in the paint, and become more of a presence on the boards.

I thought he personally handled well the cards he was dealt last season, the highs and the lows. I expect he'll play a big role for us next year, and hopefully into 2020-2021. Yes, I believe that is the year for our next run at a title.

LTownZag
04-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Legitimate critique of play, while also acknowledging what a player does super well, is not, IMO, "dissing" our players.

I am fully on-board for not unfairly calling kids out personally. They are kids, not grown men, they're not paid to play.

OTOH, they are absolute elite level athletes that play the game at an international level and don't expect total kid-glove treatment, either. If it relates to play on the floor, if it's balanced, I don't see anything wrong with the thread.

I suspect everyone here wants him to develop to his full potential, and being a GU big, there is a lot of reason for hope.

Thank you, Dixie.

Ladyzag12
04-19-2019, 11:57 AM
He will be our best or second best player next year. He was good this year in his minutes. He does need to work on his defensive reads, but he is super mobile and has incredible hands and touch.

willandi
04-19-2019, 12:33 PM
I expect him to be more of a perimeter playing forward, similar to Wiltjer and probably/possibly platooning with Timme.
His hands will be improved and he will have a much better idea of what he needs to do. The staff and the other players will have been scrimmaging and sharing. Last year he was a true freshman, forced into playing because of Tillie's injury.
The centers will be Zahkarov and Ballo.

At least that is my opinion.

LongIslandZagFan
04-19-2019, 12:42 PM

For the record... one of my favorite Zags ever, Robert Sacre had the same issue. Not dissing FP at all, in fact, it is something I am confident that he can work on and fix and then he's even that much better. I said, quite clearly, that if he fixes a couple of kinks in his game then the ceiling is very high for him. That is a compliment.

LongIslandZagFan
04-19-2019, 12:43 PM
He will be our best or second best player next year. He was good this year in his minutes. He does need to work on his defensive reads, but he is super mobile and has incredible hands and touch.

I could definitely see that. My gut says if Tillie doesn't get injured then he'd have redshirted this season.

Mr Vulture
04-19-2019, 12:49 PM
I personally think that Petrusev has NBA potential and I've read scouts say the same thing. For me, his biggest thing to work on this offseason is his strength, particularly upper body/hands. Otherwise, his skill set is good for his age and will get better as he matures. I don't know who will start next year, not sure it really matters, but I doubt Petrusev is passed up by all three incoming bigs. Frankly, I think Ballo has a lot of development that will need to happen before he is an impact player. For the record, I expect that development to happen and for Ballo to be a stud as he matures. I can't speak much about Zhakarov as I haven't seen much on him but I have heard that his skills will surprise us. Most think Timme will start from day one and after watching video on him myself, I think that is very likely barring Tillie returning to school.

Markburn1
04-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Depends entirely on Filip. Generally the biggest improvement in college players comes between their freshman and sophomore years. He needs to take advantage of a brand new highly motivated assistant coach (Powell Jr.) whose specialty is working with bigs. Also this offseason will be the time to transform his body to enable him to play a more physical game.

Filip will be pushed for minutes by incoming freshmen, in particular Timme, and that could go one of two ways. He can rise to the challenge or settle for good enough. I hope the challenge motivates him.

He has a good offensive foundation. Decent shooter from range and a couple of adequate post moves. Both have the potential for dramatic improvement. A major upgrade is needed on defense, especially footwork and revving the motor.

I'm looking forward to what he will bring next year. Good luck and good work, Filip.

zag67
04-19-2019, 01:14 PM
First I agree with Reborn. I think that as a freshman big man he showed solid minutes when he played. At times he would make moves to quickly and lose or mishandle the ball. We all knew that he needs work on his defense, but I think even that looks better toward the end of the season. I also would not be surprised that if everyone stays healthy, we might see Ballo redshirt (only because of his age). But even if he does not, I think that "bigs" playing time is going to be interesting to watch. I t also would mean that our front court can be more aggressive attacking their opponents with that many fouls to give. We are going to be young and make many mistakes, this will be a YOYO year. Look forward to following them as the year goes on.

bartruff1
04-19-2019, 01:15 PM
I doubt he will be another Kelly, Sabonis. Karno, Collins , Williams.....but he will have a fine career in D1... and play for some real dough for years after he leaves Gonzaga....

Vanzagger
04-19-2019, 01:20 PM
A little better than Channing Frye who I believe 20 years later is still in the League

IowaSERE
04-19-2019, 02:33 PM
I doubt he will be another Kelly, Sabonis. Karno, Collins , Williams.....but he will have a fine career in D1... and play for some real dough for years after he leaves Gonzaga....

I think that he reminds me a LOT of Freshman KO, but better. Here are the stats/

KO 12 min, 50% fg, 59% ft, 2.7 reb, .1 blk, 3.8 pts
PET 11.4 min 55% fg, 85% ft, 2.7 reb, .5 blk, 6.5 pts.

Kelly had 4 years in the program. If FP stays through his SR year, I expect similar results.

bartruff1
04-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Kelly played 3 years plus a red shirt....made first team All American and was the 13th player in the draft as a junior.....I am not aware of any Gonzaga Player who improved as much after his sophomore season...... . that is quite a high bar....the proof of course is always in the pudding...

Once and Future Zag
04-19-2019, 04:04 PM
For the record... one of my favorite Zags ever, Robert Sacre had the same issue. Not dissing FP at all, in fact, it is something I am confident that he can work on and fix and then he's even that much better. I said, quite clearly, that if he fixes a couple of kinks in his game then the ceiling is very high for him. That is a compliment.

Of our recent bigs, maybe a cross between Sacre and Heytvelt - Sacre's back to the basket game + Heytvelts flexibility away from the paint.

jazzdelmar
04-19-2019, 04:37 PM
KO was a guard in his younger days and that became a big edge as he grew to 7 feet. Petro has no such guard skills.

bdmiller7
04-19-2019, 05:25 PM
I think he is 10 ppg and 6 rbg next year, starts and gets 20-25 mpg. I like that we will have a stable of bigs that all bring something different to the table, practicing against each other is going to bring out the best in all of them.

WallaWallaZag
04-19-2019, 05:49 PM
petrusev isn't a great athlete, so he needs to make up for it with a better motor. sabonis is a better athlete, but not by a whole lot and petrusev is actually more skilled...the motor and toughness is what separates. he needs to try and get to a z.collins level from an effort standpoint...collins probably a better comp as he also likes to shoot, though collins also a superior athlete which shows up on d.

zagfan1
04-19-2019, 05:55 PM
I personally would like to see him become a better defender. That was the big issue this past season and translated into very few minutes after Tillie came back.

LTownZag
04-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Kelly played 3 years plus a red shirt....made first team All American and was the 13th player in the draft as a junior.....I am not aware of any Gonzaga Player who improved as much after his sophomore season...... . that is quite a high bar....the proof of course is always in the pudding...

How about Brandon Clarke's Sophomore to Junior year improvement as being even bigger?

(but I acknowledge that it's not even a fair comparison to make, since BC wasn't at Gonzaga hist first two years. Maybe in GU's program he would have improved more gradually and steadily the whole time.)

It does seem that both Johnathan Williams and BC have really amazing RS junior years. I wonder how each of their college careers would have turned out if they had not transferred or had transferred elsewhere.

bartruff1
04-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Good grief....Clarke made a huge improvement but he was a very accomplished player at San Jose..... unlike Kelly....including Defensive Player of the Year and first team All Conference…. some of you just want to argue.....about nothing...

ZagsGoZags
04-19-2019, 06:52 PM
I thought Ammo improved a lot from soph to junior year also

bartruff1
04-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Well I don't think Petrusev will improve as much as Morrison either....

Morrison was a starter his sophomore year and averaged nearly 34 minutes and 20ppg ...if you compare that to Kelly's sophomore year you might conclude that Kelly made a more dramatic improvement ….or not...

Reborn
04-19-2019, 08:31 PM
KO was a guard in his younger days and that became a big edge as he grew to 7 feet. Petro has no such guard skills.

There is one skill that many guards have, and it should be right at the top of guard skills. imo. And too many GU guards lately seem to lack this skill in the most important games. AND THAT IS SHOOTING FROM BEHIND THE THREE POINT LINE. Petrusev has this skill, and he was more successful with it than guards were. If Tillie had not returned I think we would have seen even more progress than we did. Honestly, I really like Petrusev a lot, and of course it could be because he can hit the 3 ball.

Go Zags!!!

mgadfly
04-19-2019, 08:47 PM
I don't think Morrison improved all that much from sophomore to junior season. His usage went up, but his efficiency was nearly identical and he was already scoring nearly 20 points per game as a sophomore. His rebounding percentages went down (bot offensive and defensive), his assist rate took a nose dive, and his defense was blah both seasons.

Not saying he wasn't better as a junior because performing at the same level but on higher usage is still pretty awesome, but I don't think that was the season he made the major jump. He was an awesome sophomore.

Clarke improved some, but his numbers were impressive as a sophomore as well. He played more efficiently for the Zags, but less minutes and was asked to do less outside of his areas of strength. His rebounding was virtually the same and while his defense improved, he was already a very good defender.

Olynyk improved a ton. I don't think it is a fair expectation of anyone to improve like he did. He went from being a low usage, low minutes guy to being a high usage player. He improved his offense in virtually every category. Despite scoring more points, his assist rate increased (unlike both Clarke and Morrison whose passing took a hit when asked to shoot more), his turnovers improved, and his defense went from Morrison-esque to being almost at the level Clarke was as a freshman (which is pretty good).

Petrusev could certainly improve more than Clarke or Morrison did (because they didn't improve a whole lot, were just given different opportunities). I don't think there is much of a chance he can do what Olynyk did, not because I don't think he is really good, but because of the hundreds of players that have come through GU, Olynyk is in a pretty elite position for SO to JR improvement.

WallaWallaZag
04-19-2019, 11:08 PM
if you want to talk about improvement in efficiency even when increasing usage as a standard for making a true jump, probably need to include wiltjer in the conversation...without looking at the numbers, off the top of my head, i would guess he comes in second to ko from this perspective.

Worthington
04-20-2019, 02:35 AM
I kept a close eye on Filip this season and I have to say he was nearly unplayable on the defensive end. Had no idea how to hold his ground without fouling/biting on up fakes. Super efficient on offense, with a high ceiling on that end, but if he doesn't shore it up on defense, I wonder about the minutes he will get.

TexasZagFan
04-20-2019, 06:44 AM
I don't think Morrison improved all that much from sophomore to junior season. His usage went up, but his efficiency was nearly identical and he was already scoring nearly 20 points per game as a sophomore. His rebounding percentages went down (bot offensive and defensive), his assist rate took a nose dive, and his defense was blah both seasons.

Not saying he wasn't better as a junior because performing at the same level but on higher usage is still pretty awesome, but I don't think that was the season he made the major jump. He was an awesome sophomore.

Clarke improved some, but his numbers were impressive as a sophomore as well. He played more efficiently for the Zags, but less minutes and was asked to do less outside of his areas of strength. His rebounding was virtually the same and while his defense improved, he was already a very good defender.

Olynyk improved a ton. I don't think it is a fair expectation of anyone to improve like he did. He went from being a low usage, low minutes guy to being a high usage player. He improved his offense in virtually every category. Despite scoring more points, his assist rate increased (unlike both Clarke and Morrison whose passing took a hit when asked to shoot more), his turnovers improved, and his defense went from Morrison-esque to being almost at the level Clarke was as a freshman (which is pretty good).

Petrusev could certainly improve more than Clarke or Morrison did (because they didn't improve a whole lot, were just given different opportunities). I don't think there is much of a chance he can do what Olynyk did, not because I don't think he is really good, but because of the hundreds of players that have come through GU, Olynyk is in a pretty elite position for SO to JR improvement.

There's another difference with Kelly that I don't think I've seen with others who went through a redshirt year. Kelly took on the role of a shadow assistant coach during his redshirt year. That meant his understanding of the game, and its nuances, matched the improvements he was making off the court.

The young man definitely made the most of his time at Gonzaga...didn't he also graduate with a masters degree?

TexasZagFan
04-20-2019, 06:50 AM
I kept a close eye on Filip this season and I have to say he was nearly unplayable on the defensive end. Had no idea how to hold his ground without fouling/biting on up fakes. Super efficient on offense, with a high ceiling on that end, but if he doesn't shore it up on defense, I wonder about the minutes he will get.

As we've all seen, big men take longer to develop than other positions. Guys like Filip are able to dominate in HS due to their height, then it gets much harder at the next level. His development last year was hindered by Killian's injury...there was no one that matched him in height, and Rui and Brandon were far superior athletes. With the arrival of the new bigs, I'm optimistic that Filip will be challenged, and respond well to the competition.

Ladyzag12
04-20-2019, 11:09 AM
People are too high on Timme. I think Timme will be a solid 4 year guy, but he actually has the lowest potential of any of the incoming big men for me. Petrusev has better scoring numbers per 40 minutes than almost any other GU big man as a Freshman that I can look up, except for Zach Collins. He needs some work defensively for sure, but people really underrate his touch and mobility for his size. We have not had another player his size and with that mobility other than Collins. He was fringe NBA prospect in Europe and decided to do the NCAA route. Timme for me is limited athletically and in terms of size as well. He has tons of intangibles and definitely a good handle and passing for his size.

maynard g krebs
04-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Without looking it up, his 3 pt % went from low 30's his soph year to something like 43-44% his jr year. That's a huge difference imo, and what jumped him to superstar status.

Malastein
04-20-2019, 05:37 PM
If Petrusev can put on a good bit of muscle without losing speed, then he could be pretty good. He’s definitely too soft on both sides of the court right now. His defense and his rebounding both need major improvement. Don’t forget how few he collected in the games against Tennessee and North Carolina.

TexasZagFan
04-21-2019, 05:55 AM
People are too high on Timme. I think Timme will be a solid 4 year guy, but he actually has the lowest potential of any of the incoming big men for me. Petrusev has better scoring numbers per 40 minutes than almost any other GU big man as a Freshman that I can look up, except for Zach Collins. He needs some work defensively for sure, but people really underrate his touch and mobility for his size. We have not had another player his size and with that mobility other than Collins. He was fringe NBA prospect in Europe and decided to do the NCAA route. Timme for me is limited athletically and in terms of size as well. He has tons of intangibles and definitely a good handle and passing for his size.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I've seen him play in person, and he was hampered by the lack of talent around him. He singlehandedly led his team to beating Duncanville, the Texas 6A state champion this year.

There's a reason he's been moving up the player rankings since his visit to GU two years ago, and his style of play fits the Zag system to a T. He has the potential to be a triple-double player for the Zags, that's how good his passing is. His "motor" will elevate the Zags, too. He's averaged over 10 rebounds a game the past two seasons, and he loves mixing it up in the paint. Drew's demonstrated he's able to pass out of double and triple teams, because that was the strategy other teams employed against him. Unfortunately, his teammates bricked too many of the open looks provided by Drew.

MontanaCoyote
04-21-2019, 09:56 AM
“Texas Timme”. Goin’ B a Good One!

Vanzagger
04-21-2019, 10:39 AM
Ladyzag12. I love your posts. There will be amazing competition between bigs as there has been. We are still loaded.

I look forward to seeing your projections and as information is added any of our evaluations can change. Thanks for sharing

LTownZag
04-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Without looking it up, his 3 pt % went from low 30's his soph year to something like 43-44% his jr year. That's a huge difference imo, and what jumped him to superstar status.

31.1 to. 42.8

On way more attempts as well.

That's a huge difference.

soccerdud
04-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I've seen him play in person, and he was hampered by the lack of talent around him. He singlehandedly led his team to beating Duncanville, the Texas 6A state champion this year.

There's a reason he's been moving up the player rankings since his visit to GU two years ago, and his style of play fits the Zag system to a T. He has the potential to be a triple-double player for the Zags, that's how good his passing is. His "motor" will elevate the Zags, too. He's averaged over 10 rebounds a game the past two seasons, and he loves mixing it up in the paint. Drew's demonstrated he's able to pass out of double and triple teams, because that was the strategy other teams employed against him. Unfortunately, his teammates bricked too many of the open looks provided by Drew.

... and don't forget that he can push the ball on breaks like tillie (handles/vision/athleticism are comparable), and will instantly be the most 2-handed post we've ever had.

mgadfly
04-21-2019, 04:24 PM

His three point shooting did improve a bunch. His TS% improves a little. His offensive efficiency went up from 119.4 to only 120.0 because his two point FG% fell by 4 points and his assist rate declined very significantly. Three point shooting was a massive improvement. The extra usage is huge too. But he was almost identical in efficiency and already had a usage rate above 29% as a sophomore.

West Side Lady
04-21-2019, 04:37 PM
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

LOL! Rude, and also I've thought this ("you don't know what you're talking about") so many times when reading posts here! Many of the premature pronouncements on who will do what are so off.

TexasZagFan
04-21-2019, 04:58 PM
LOL! Rude, and also I've thought this ("you don't know what you're talking about") so many times when reading posts here! Many of the premature pronouncements on who will do what are so off.

I probably should have said it differently. My attitude about certain criticisms has changed over the past couple of years. In this case, in the limited sample size i’ve seen of Drew, he displayed a high level of athleticism to go with a high hoops IQ. You simply don’t beat the eventual state champs without it.

After seeing how the players interacted with all the campers during our visit two years ago, I now think of those young men as extended members of my family. Josh kibitzed with my grandson after “stealing “ his hat, Corey gave him individual instruction for 30 minutes, and dozens of great pictures were taken.

A picture of Big D and Rui is now my “wallpaper “ on my phone, it always brings a smile to my face. Several months later, Dillon was plucked out of the crowd in Nashville for the halftime slam dunk contest. Courtesy of GoZags, he earned the moniker of Big D.

None of this could have happened without the ongoing journey of Zag basketball. That’s how I roll, and that’s why I take umbrage when I think our players are criticized unfairly.

willandi
04-21-2019, 05:03 PM

I probably should have said it differently. My attitude about certain criticisms has changed over the past couple of years. In this case, in the limited sample size i’ve seen of Drew, he displayed a high level of athleticism to go with a high hoops IQ. You simply don’t beat the eventual state champs without it.

After seeing how the players interacted with all the campers during our visit two years ago, I now think of those young men as extended members of my family. Josh kibitzed with my grandson after “stealing “ his hat, Corey gave him individual instruction for 30 minutes, and dozens of great pictures were taken.

A picture of Big D and Rui is now my “wallpaper “ on my phone, it always brings a smile to my face. Several months later, Dillon was plucked out of the crowd in Nashville for the halftime slam dunk contest. Courtesy of GoZags, he earned the moniker of Big D.

None of this could have happened without the ongoing journey of Zag basketball. That’s how I roll, and that’s why I take umbrage when I think our players are criticized unfairly.

And one of the very few on this board that has actually seen Mr Timme play, so it isn't just highlight vids.

maynard g krebs
04-21-2019, 05:10 PM
As I said on this board about concerns about Ryan Spangler's hs level of competition years ago, at some point the numbers don't lie. I said that sight unseen about Spangler, and I'll say the same about Timme. Those stats on the HS level are nearly Kevin Love level. Not especially about the scoring, but combined w/ the rebound and assists numbers, it all says he's a can't miss prospect.

West Side Lady
04-21-2019, 05:59 PM
in the limited sample size i’ve seen of Drew, he displayed a high level of athleticism to go with a high hoops IQ. You simply don’t beat the eventual state champs without it.

I like that you're a Zag superfan and high on Timme after seeing him play. I cant wait to see him play honestly.

TexasZagFan
04-21-2019, 06:38 PM
I like that you're a Zag superfan and high on Timme after seeing him play. I cant wait to see him play honestly.

My apologies for a significant error: Drew’s team did not beat 6A champ Duncanville. They lost twice, 58-52, and 70-68...close, but no cigar.

GeorgiaZagFan
04-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Warning - nothing but idle speculation and conjecture ahead.

... Petrusev's defensive and rebounding woes, and occasional weak/soft hands and slippery fingers,...

I believe there is NO WAY to make those assessments based upon the limited and inconsistent playing time he had this past year ....

GrizZAG
04-21-2019, 09:10 PM
He needs work on catching passes. He gets stripped too often and a tad out of balance on the inside moves. Otherwise he has the tools. MHO...

CDC84
04-22-2019, 02:10 AM
I like Filip's offensive skill set quite a bit, but he is a bad post defender right now. Especially against BCS level competition. That is the number one thing he needs to focus on in the offseason. It's going to keep him off the floor until he gets better. Especially with all these talented big men who are coming in. Most of them are more highly ranked than Filip was coming out of HS.

But we have seen dramatic changes in Zag players between their frosh and soph seasons. Think of how much Norvell grew defensively last offseason. He went from terrible to average/slightly above average.

People sometimes forget that one of Filip's better games this past season was vs. Duke.

caldwellzag
04-22-2019, 07:37 AM
Umm just saw this on Twitter....

https://twitter.com/zoransavic_bcn/status/1120267989587251203

willandi
04-22-2019, 07:44 AM

Hmmmm

Testing the waters, for sure, if it's true. I wouldn't really expect this to be serious until after a full year in the rotation...but if the NBA drafts on potential, TexasZagFan's grandson, Big D, has already dunked the ball on regulation height baskets, and he wasn't even 6 when he did that.

ZagzKrak
04-22-2019, 07:49 AM

That one is a shocker

bigblahla
04-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.... time for B-Mic to declare too... OMG what a soap opera this is becoming.... who's next? It will be what it is when it is all said and done come May 29th and the Zags will move on from there.... lot's of work needs to be done between now and October... I'm sure coach and staff are up for it... it does come with the territory...

Go!! Zags!!!

White lightning
04-22-2019, 09:11 AM
As I said in another thread he knows with the talent coming in his playing time may not increase. Making me wonder if this is why coach Few didn't lean on him last season down the stretch. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190422/2bb8b86bb7e2762fc3256790e232e232.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Goshzagit
04-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Its official, Petrusev declared today as well. The final day.

No press release yet he entered his name.

Gonzaga with 5 EARLY entrants.

It's also official, Gonzaga with the most of any team in College hoops, more than UNC, Kentucky, Dule, et al

http://basketballsphere.com/petrusev-izlazi-na-nba-draft/

thebigsmoove
04-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Bolden and Delaurier declared today for Duke, so 5 for Duke and Gonzaga.

kitzbuel
04-22-2019, 10:29 AM
Its official, Petrusev declared today as well. The final day.

No press release yet he entered his name.

Gonzaga with 5 EARLY entrants.

It's also official, Gonzaga with the most of any team in College hoops, more than UNC, Kentucky, Dule, et al

http://basketballsphere.com/petrusev-izlazi-na-nba-draft/

Well, good for Filip. I hope he gives it a good run and makes a great decision. I think he will get great insight and it obviously will only help him to take advantage of professional analyses of his strengths, weaknesses and potential position.

Zagdawg
04-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
42m42 minutes ago
More
Gonzaga freshman forward Filip Petrusev submitted his name for the NBA Draft, GU spokesperson confirmed. Sounds like Petrusev wants to go through the process, but is planning on returning for sophomore season.

JPtheBeasta
04-22-2019, 11:52 AM
Kind of like interviewing for jobs you might not want, or going on a blind date, it might be nice to go through the NBA declaration process once to know what to expect next year. After this, I'm not expecting him to be here in 2020...

raise the zag
04-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Petrusev was one of our most beloved prospects by NBA scouts this year. At least in terms of long term potential, and how he performed in practice.

Petrusev doesn't miss in practice.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Petrusev was one of our most beloved prospects by NBA scouts this year. At least in terms of long term potential, and how he performed in practice.

Petrusev doesn't miss in practice.

So if Petrusev doesnít miss in practice, and Tillie is our best shooting big man, can someone now reveal why neither was used in the 2nd half against Texas Tech when we were struggling to score?

I feel like enough time has passed for someone to finally address this very fair question. And yes, Iím aware this is more of a Tillie question than a Petrusev question.

HenneZag
04-22-2019, 12:41 PM
There comes a point in time when potential doesnt matter. Potential keeps us excited initially, especially when we have depth. Eventually you need to produce when the time calls. I think the verdict is still out on Petrusev, I've seen flashes, heard great things, but now we need to see the trend.

Mantua
04-22-2019, 02:01 PM
This is becoming awkward. I don’t think the NBA intended the draft to be treated like a basketball camp.

tinfoilzag
04-22-2019, 02:13 PM
So if Petrusev doesn’t miss in practice, and Tillie is our best shooting big man, can someone now reveal why neither was used in the 2nd half against Texas Tech when we were struggling to score?

I feel like enough time has passed for someone to finally address this very fair question. And yes, I’m aware this is more of a Tillie question than a Petrusev question.

We weren't scoring because we kept getting the ball slapped away and couldn't break down defenders off of the dribble. Tillie and Petrusev and not the answers to those problems.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-22-2019, 02:29 PM
We weren't scoring because we kept getting the ball slapped away and couldn't break down defenders off of the dribble. Tillie and Petrusev and not the answers to those problems.

Best reasoning I've read thus far. Thank you for providing a reasonable possible answer.

GonzaGAW
04-22-2019, 02:51 PM
- did not see this coming, next year yes but not this year.
- as with norvell, best of luck, but if the cards don't turn up right, hoping to see you wearing gu red, white and blue next year.

- if I was a betting man, I'd bet petrusev comes back next year, and I'd make no bet on norvell as I think that is 50/50. the other 3 are gone, gone, gone.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-22-2019, 02:52 PM
This is becoming awkward. I don’t think the NBA intended the draft to be treated like a basketball camp.

Exactly. So many declaring there is bound to be several (many?) players who don’t even get invited to the NBA Draft Combine let alone all expenses paid trips to workout for teams...which leaves you wondering how they will get any meaningful feedback at all let alone experience.

Bouldin4Prez
04-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Exactly. So many declaring there is bound to be several (many?) players who donít even get invited to the NBA Draft Combine let alone all expenses paid trips to workout for teams...which leaves you wondering how they will get any meaningful feedback at all let alone experience.

Isn't that the feedback in itself? If they declare for the draft, don't hire an agent and then no teams really reach out, they know to come back to school without even considering actually leaving. I think we are making too much of a deal out of this. Filip is 99% returning, but if the option is there to possibly hear from an NBA team, go ahead and do it. They made the change for this exact reason. You can now dip your pinky toe in the water without being hung out to dry.

GrizZAG
04-23-2019, 12:20 PM
So if Petrusev doesn’t miss in practice, and Tillie is our best shooting big man, can someone now reveal why neither was used in the 2nd half against Texas Tech when we were struggling to score?

I feel like enough time has passed for someone to finally address this very fair question. And yes, I’m aware this is more of a Tillie question than a Petrusev question.

I mentioned before that Tillie’s right hand was taped up and a wrist wrap on him also. I noticed it at game end when the camera panned the players on the bench. He may have hurt that hand