PDA

View Full Version : A GREAT TIME TO BE A ZAGS FAN! Potential Talent in 2020 season

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Just because its quite hilarious the riches that we will have in our program if all goes according to plan, imagine this hypothetical depth chart. Crazy that the talent that would be there could be interchanged ala kentucky and 3 or 4 different lineups should be national contenders if the "experts" are right in rankings:

PG: Suggs/Ravet/Harris
SG: Norvell/Harris/Strawther (i dont see Norvell staying till Sr year BTW)
SF: Kispert/Watson/Strawther
PF: Timme/Watson/Petrusev
C: Petrusev/Ballo/Zacharov

that is insane... the poor wcc.

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2019, 04:24 PM
Wow and I even forgot Arlauskas at the 3 or 2 who in 2020 could be a stud when he gets fully healthy. Unreal!!!

Malastein
04-18-2019, 04:30 PM
I hope Norvell stays and provides a strong dose of senior leadership! He really could be the guy that pulls the young guys together!

seacatfan
04-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Being in the WCC is killing Gonzaga. They gotta get in a different conference. I mean you just can't recruit when you are a conference like that...(sarcasm).

bartruff1
04-18-2019, 04:56 PM
I hope Norvell stays and provides a strong dose of senior leadership! He really could be the guy that pulls the young guys together!

I think you are right......

DixieZag
04-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Being in the WCC is killing Gonzaga. They gotta get in a different conference. I mean you just can't recruit when you are a conference like that...(sarcasm).

Nice one.

I was about halfway through it and was about to type out "funny way to be killed," and then got through it.

Yes, we always heard that success breeds success.

Yet, let's not get ahead of ourselves. As great as our class is, that school on the westside is making significant improvements and had TWO five star players commit to next year.

That's not to diminish what we've got, and I'd think one can make a pretty decent argument that had one switched McDaniels and Watson and flipped sides of the state, the other one would be the 5 star versus the 4, but now we're splitting atoms in a sense. I am fine with Watson being a 4-star so long as he continues beating the west siders.

But, no doubt, the UW is coming on. Good for us, in a lot of ways. I have always believed that TWO strong programs up here does nothing but make each team stronger, especially playing each other annually now.

The game in Seattle next year ain't going to be fun. It'd be nice to win, but ….

gonzagafan62
04-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Nice one.

I was about halfway through it and was about to type out "funny way to be killed," and then got through it.

Yes, we always heard that success breeds success.

Yet, let's not get ahead of ourselves. As great as our class is, that school on the westside is making significant improvements and had TWO five star players commit to next year.

That's not to diminish what we've got, and I'd think one can make a pretty decent argument that had one switched McDaniels and Watson and flipped sides of the state, the other one would be the 5 star versus the 4, but now we're splitting atoms in a sense. I am fine with Watson being a 4-star so long as he continues beating the west siders.

But, no doubt, the UW is coming on. Good for us, in a lot of ways. I have always believed that TWO strong programs up here does nothing but make each team stronger, especially playing each other annually now.

The game in Seattle next year ain't going to be fun. It'd be nice to win, but ….

Romar recruited out of his mind too and it didn’t help. I do think Hopkins is a good coach, and we do need to pay attention, but don’t think it’ll get that good. They are in a conference that got beat by the WCC. Just saying (tongue in cheek)

hooter73
04-18-2019, 06:03 PM
Wow and I even forgot Arlauskas at the 3 or 2 who in 2020 could be a stud when he gets fully healthy. Unreal!!!

I was just going to say that someone’s missing...

Do not sleep on Arlauskas!

gonzagafan62
04-18-2019, 06:07 PM

He’s going to be a great zag

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2019, 06:07 PM

Surprised i forgot him.. I love the way he looks. I really think he will be a great zag!

maynard g krebs
04-19-2019, 01:28 PM
I'd think one can make a pretty decent argument that had one switched McDaniels and Watson and flipped sides of the state, the other one would be the 5 star versus the 4, but now we're splitting atoms in a sense.

ESPN has McDaniels as the number one pick in the 2020 draft. Another site I saw in a quick search has him 6th, so I don't agree with the above. McDaniels would be a 5 star playing in Point Barrow, Alaska. 6'10 or 6'11 guys with point skills are rare. Nothing wrong w/ being a homer for our guy, who I do agree that over his GU career will be a more valuable player than McDaniels will be wherever he goes; he's not committed to UW yet.

IowaSERE
04-19-2019, 01:36 PM

Why go to the WCC and score 90 points a game when you can play in the B10 and score 60?

DixieZag
04-19-2019, 02:15 PM
ESPN has McDaniels as the number one pick in the 2020 draft. Another site I saw in a quick search has him 6th, so I don't agree with the above. McDaniels would be a 5 star playing in Point Barrow, Alaska. 6'10 or 6'11 guys with point skills are rare. Nothing wrong w/ being a homer for our guy, who I do agree that over his GU career will be a more valuable player than McDaniels will be wherever he goes; he's not committed to UW yet.

Well, since you've seen him play in person and I certainly haven't, I sure am not going to argue.

It does sorta weigh on one a bit that Watson got the best of them each time they faced each other, though I guess there were always 4 other people on the floor, too.

He may not have McDaniel's upside, and maybe there would've been room for both of them to be 5 stars. However, until I SEE a 5 star come out of Spokane (and we haven't, even Stockton), it sure seems like it's weighed against the kids, seems unfair.

We can't know, it'd just be interesting to see if there'd have been a difference had he come up in Seattle, rather than Spokane.

As for commitment, I had thought they had a verbal from McDaniels. I guess I was mistaken.

maynard g krebs
04-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Well, since you've seen him play in person and I certainly haven't, I sure am not going to argue.

It does sorta weigh on one a bit that Watson got the best of them each time they faced each other, though I guess there were always 4 other people on the floor, too.

He may not have McDaniel's upside, and maybe there would've been room for both of them to be 5 stars. However, until I SEE a 5 star come out of Spokane (and we haven't, even Stockton), it sure seems like it's weighed against the kids, seems unfair.

We can't know, it'd just be interesting to see if there'd have been a difference had he come up in Seattle, rather than Spokane.

As for commitment, I had thought they had a verbal from McDaniels. I guess I was mistaken.

I'm just sayin' you don't have to diss the other guy to pump up your own. I did say Watson would be the more impactful college player; multi year guy ( my guess is 3; some say tw0) who has a knack for winning plays and has a really high iq and is totally unselfish. McDaniels is just a unique talent with NBA allstar potential, but of course there are a lot of those guys who just flame out.

There's certainly some validity to the location argument; I believed Adam belonged in the McDonald's game after seeing his sr year state tourney performance. But he was a late bloomer who didn't have the advance pub needed. What I've seen of Watson, high 4 star looks about right. But those guys are usually more impactful in college than one and dones anyway, so it's all good.

LTownZag
04-19-2019, 05:43 PM
N

I think it would be great for the PNW in general and for Gonzaga basketball is UW becomes a consistent top-25 team. I really don't understand why folks root against them.

Yeah yeah I want GU to win any head-to-head matchups, but beyond that I would love to see the Huskies do well. How cool would it be for the 2 best teams "out west" to both be from Washington?

Zags11
04-20-2019, 08:34 AM
I think it would be great for the PNW in general and for Gonzaga basketball is UW becomes a consistent top-25 team. I really don't understand why folks root against them.

Yeah yeah I want GU to win any head-to-head matchups, but beyond that I would love to see the Huskies do well. How cool would it be for the 2 best teams "out west" to both be from Washington?

Wouldn't more recruits want to go to UW if they were top 25 and it'd hurt our recruiting?

IowaSERE
04-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Wouldn't more recruits want to go to UW if they were top 25 and it'd hurt our recruiting?

Exactly why I root for them to lose every game they play.

maynard g krebs
04-20-2019, 01:46 PM

No. Last thing you want is for all the Seattle talent to want to stay home. Per capita, the hs talent here is second to nowhere else. That makes UW a sleeping giant, and one that is now stirring.

gonzagafan62
04-20-2019, 01:50 PM
No. Last thing you want is for all the Seattle talent to want to stay home. Per capita, the hs talent here is second to nowhere else. That makes UW a sleeping giant, and one that is now stirring.

Exactly

tenniszag
04-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Eh we rarely get Seattle kids anyways.

zagsfanforlife
04-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Weird. I didn't think this post was about Washington basketball