PDA

View Full Version : Welcome New Zag Julian Strawther!

Zagdawg
04-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the Zag Family!

✞ Julian Strawther ✞

@JulianStrawther
1m1 minute ago
More
C O M M I T T E D ��❤️�� #GoZags #ZagUp 4MoM

https://twitter.com/JulianStrawther/status/1118967575231119360

Zagceo
04-18-2019, 12:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/oohVVl6.jpg

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2019, 12:03 PM
LETS GOOOOOO!!! IM PUMPED!!!

gonzagafan62
04-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Yes sir!!!

willandi
04-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Is THIS the first domino?

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Great piece written by Inside the Kennel. Mentioned that Dominick Harris and Julian talk almost every day. That that relationship played a big part knowing that he was coming up here with a good friend already. You naive enough to believe that Jalen isnt included in some of those texts?

Zaga
04-18-2019, 12:09 PM
That is Zagfantastic!

Go Zags

CDC84
04-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Great job by the Gonzaga staff for landing Julian. And Julian, welcome to GU.

Five sweet 16's or better in the past 5 years (including 3 elite 8's). It makes recruiting easier doesn't it?? But the staff still has to put in the effort.

For those who do not know, Julian is the 37th ranked player in the 2020 class by 247sports (composite ranking). He's a 6-7 pure small forward. 10th best SF in the 2020 class, 2nd best player in his state. The top player in his state, Daishen Nix, I also being recruited heavily by Gonzaga.

Better yet, let's hope that his commitment inspires Jalen Suggs and/or Daishen Nix to join up with Dominick and Julian. Apparently Dom and Julian are really good friends, and that is a part of the reason why he committed to GU. I seem to recall back around February when Harris teased Julian and Jalen about joining forces. Here's a nice free article form 247Sports:

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/Gonzaga-Secured-A-Commitment-From-2020-Priority-Recruit-Julian-Strawther-131292181/

cggonzaga
04-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Is THIS the first domino?

Harris was the first domino.

What a huge commitment from Julian though! These guys have the chance to become the best guards/small forwards GU has seen. This is just the next development in this continuing build of this program. We had been missing the guard play to get us over the hump the past few years. March is all about guard play. I see a final four/championship or two in our near future!

GonzaGAW
04-18-2019, 12:15 PM
- excellent, excellent
- thank you
- welcome

- your future is well planned and thought out.............you are going to do well, your are going to be well pleased.

- now have a great birthday, and enjoy your senior year.

caldwellzag
04-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Completely agree and more dominos are in play. Suggs, Nix, Burnett, etc.

MDABE80
04-18-2019, 12:20 PM
CDC if we get them all signed, we'll be preseason top 10. I like this group! It only get better from here. Lots to replace but Harris joins us and with Suggs and Strather, we're in good shape for at least a few years. One and done is likely to be gone... raises the quality of play quite a bit. Strawther is just so welcome!!

sittingon50
04-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Happy Birthday Julian & congratulations.

You picked a fine school & a fine team.

Zagdawg
04-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Liberty basketball star Julian Strawther commits to Gonzaga

https://nevadapreps.com/sports/basketball/boys-basketball/liberty-basketball-star-julian-strawther-commits-to-gonzaga-113793/

caldwellzag
04-18-2019, 12:40 PM
I posted this in the Whelping Box, but here is what Julian just posted!!!

https://twitter.com/JulianStrawther/status/1118975929219313664

Zagdawg
04-18-2019, 12:43 PM
✞ Julian Strawther ✞

@JulianStrawther
9m9 minutes ago
More
ZAG NATION WE STILL GOT BUSINESS TO HANDLE #SuggsToGonzaga LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN !! ❤️💙 @JalenSuggs2020

sittingon50
04-18-2019, 01:08 PM
Completely agree and more dominos are in play. Suggs, Nix, Burnett, etc.

With Ravet ('19) & Harris ('20) already committed aren't the Zags thinking Suggs OR Nix rather than Suggs AND Nix, Caldwell?

ZagMan in Philly
04-18-2019, 01:22 PM
So stoked! Welcome Julian.

Mantua
04-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Wonderful news! Welcome Julian!

Mantua
04-18-2019, 01:27 PM
There are all kinds of pictures on his Instagram account. Click on his avatar to see the IG stories.

https://www.instagram.com/julianstrawther/

West Side Lady
04-18-2019, 01:34 PM
Fantastic news! Welcome Julian...and happy birthday!

zagdontzig
04-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Looking at the comments on twitter and instagram, I get the impression some call him "Ju" or "Juju."

CDC84
04-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Here's another thing worth talking about......several years ago Mark Few started to get involved in the Las Vegas area recruiting scene. He has worked really, really hard to establish relationships with high school and AAU coaches (the good kind). So much good talent comes out of that city and its surrounding cities. Not just Findley Prep. The WCC tourney is held there every year (Henderson, NV is about 15 miles outside of Vegas). Obviously, getting to WCC games in L.A. (270 miles), San Diego (330 miles), Provo (378 miles) and the Bay Area (500 to 570 miles) via plane or even by car isn't an utter pain. Few's hard work is beginning to pay off. There will be future top 50 level Zags besides Julian and Collins who come from the Vegas area.

CDC84
04-18-2019, 02:41 PM
https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1118981744580005895

Jake‏Verified account @jakeweingarten
Dominick Harris, Gonzaga commit, had a lot to do with Julian Strawther committing. Was major on the recruiting front. Now that the Zags got Strawther, Harris said this to me:

“Next i’m going to try and get Jalen [Suggs] here.”

Julian Strawther also told me he’s on Jalen now.

webspinnre
04-18-2019, 03:51 PM
https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1118981744580005895

Jake‏Verified account @jakeweingarten
Dominick Harris, Gonzaga commit, had a lot to do with Julian Strawther committing. Was major on the recruiting front. Now that the Zags got Strawther, Harris said this to me:

“Next i’m going to try and get Jalen [Suggs] here.”

Julian Strawther also told me he’s on Jalen now.

Gotta love it when they're recruiting each other. Harris with his first assist before he even arrives.

JPtheBeasta
04-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Welcome aboard!! This is great news. This 2020 class... yikes. This is shaping up into something incredible.

IowaSERE
04-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Liberty basketball star Julian Strawther commits to Gonzaga

https://nevadapreps.com/sports/basketball/boys-basketball/liberty-basketball-star-julian-strawther-commits-to-gonzaga-113793/

Interesting that he told Few 2 weeks ago that he was committed.

Malastein
04-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Coach Few is great at keeping secrets. Donny Daniels was a 2 year secret!

MickMick
04-18-2019, 07:27 PM
This is like visiting Las Vegas.

Sensory overload. Soak it all in.

Ohhhh...and a very big welcome to the next great Zag.

CanadianZagsFan
04-18-2019, 07:36 PM

What a huge commitment from Julian though! These guys have the chance to become the best guards/small forwards GU has seen. This is just the next development in this continuing build of this program. We had been missing the guard play to get us over the hump the past few years. March is all about guard play. I see a final four/championship or two in our near future!

Explain your last 2-3 sentences. Iíve been more focused on Baby Shaq and Timme videos. Educate me a bit on him and this class.

CDC84
04-19-2019, 01:09 AM
I think if you look at Donny's age and the fact that no one of significance has been interested in him as a head coach, I am hardly surprised that he chose to retire at this time. I don't know how many people are aware of this, but the assistants generally work more hours than the head coach. They are the leads on recruiting and scouting, each is in charge of certain areas of player development, and each prepares game plans. Lots of travel, and it's not as much fun when you get older. Donny has been thru the wars. I think this is one of many reasons why Few opted for a younger assistant in Powell. He needs a younger man who is bursting with energy. I think the surprise - hell it wasn't a surprise, but a major shocker - is that that Vandy stupidly let Drew go just one year after bringing in perhaps the greatest recruiting class in the program's history. Powell was like a golden jewel that popped out of nowhere. I suspect that Few probably approached Powell at the NABC convention at the final four. A lot of coaching moves at the assistant level take place at the convention.

Radbooks
04-19-2019, 05:28 AM
Welcome to GU!!!

Here is a pretty cool interview with Julian with a local t.v. station:

https://twitter.com/hometownjt/status/1119091662695723008

willandi
04-19-2019, 05:58 AM

Coach Few is great at keeping secrets. Donny Daniels was a 2 year secret!

Hey! Can you keep a secret?

Well, so can I!

rennis
04-19-2019, 06:02 AM
Yesssssss

It's coming together now!

rennis
04-19-2019, 06:04 AM
I think if you look at Donny's age and the fact that no one of significance has been interested in him as a head coach, I am hardly surprised that he chose to retire at this time. I don't know how many people are aware of this, but the assistants generally work more hours than the head coach. They are the leads on recruiting and scouting, each is in charge of certain areas of player development, and each prepares game plans. Lots of travel, and it's not as much fun when you get older. Donny has been thru the wars. I think this is one of many reasons why Few opted for a younger assistant in Powell. He needs a younger man who is bursting with energy. I think the surprise - hell it wasn't a surprise, but a major shocker - is that that Vandy stupidly let Drew go just one year after bringing in perhaps the greatest recruiting class in the program's history. Powell was like a golden jewel that popped out of nowhere. I suspect that Few probably approached Powell at the NABC convention at the final four. A lot of coaching moves at the assistant level take place at the convention.

2nd that assistant coaches are always hustling. I've seen Coach Daniels in the Seattle airport a number of times, wearing Zags gear traveling solo. Small sample but tells me those guys are on the road a ton.

CDC84
04-19-2019, 10:48 AM
They also recruit during WCC road trips, which is another reason why Gonzaga didn't dig the idea of moving to the MWC. After GU plays a game at St. Mary's on a Thursday, a staff member or two might be interested in checking out a recruit in Vegas on Friday night. Well, that's a lot easier to do when you have the charter docked at the Oakland International Airport and Saturday night's game is at San Francisco.

Zagdawg
04-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Isn't UNLV in Vegas?

DixieZag
04-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Isn't UNLV in Vegas?

Yes, but Fort Collins isn't, neither is Fresno, nor Cheyenne, I can see an easy direct flight from anywhere in the WCC schedule to just about anywhere, but not near as easy in the MWC.

I doubt the recruiting advantages played a huge deal in the matter, but the great cities and markets for the WCC might well have. IF the league improves to the point that it's always competing with the Pac, there is a ton of growth potential for the WCC, not so much in L.A. where no sports other than the Dodger and/or Lakers really take off. But other areas have big potential.

I see BYU as possibly poised to be very competitive. It seemed like Rose started to slide a bit.

Zagdawg
04-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Don't see the WCC getting to a point where it is "always competing with the Pac" -- this year was an anomaly in a down Pac year. The WCC is a stepping stone for the majority of the coaches in it -- if they get a better offer they are gone -- see Kyle Smith for example (Few and Bennett are exceptions).

Hope that BYU can get more competitive along with about 3 other of the teams -- it will only help us in the long run.

NotoriousZ
04-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Don't see the WCC getting to a point where it is "always competing with the Pac" -- this year was an anomaly in a down Pac year. The WCC is a stepping stone for the majority of the coaches in it -- if they get a better offer they are gone -- see Kyle Smith for example (Few and Bennett are exceptions).

Hope that BYU can get more competitive along with about 3 other of the teams -- it will only help us in the long run.

Not so sure about that. How long has it been since the Pac had a really good season? One of these two conferences is trending up and the other is not. The WCC isnít quite there yet, but give it a few more years.

And welcome Julian Strawther!

zagdontzig
04-19-2019, 02:40 PM

Good insight. Is it possible Coach Few was negotiating with Coach Drew longer though, given Coach Daniels gave him so much notice?

WallaWallaZag
04-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Not so sure about that. How long has it been since the Pac had a really good season? One of these two conferences is trending up and the other is not. The WCC isnít quite there yet, but give it a few more years.

And welcome Julian Strawther!

this is really derailing the thread, but the wcc will never be on par with the pac...wcc has room to grow and can even have individual years like this past one vs the pac, but ceilings are way different and pac will bounce back...

sittingon50
04-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Welcome to GU!!!

https://twitter.com/hometownjt/status/1119091662695723008

Thanks for the link, Rad. Julian appears to have a very good head on his shoulders.

ZagNative
04-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Welcome to GU!!!

https://twitter.com/hometownjt/status/1119091662695723008That was a nice interview. Gives me a feel for the kind of player we're getting.

I really appreciate your continued valuable input here, Radbooks. Thanks!