PDA

View Full Version : And your next Gonzaga assistant coach is...

Malastein
04-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Roger Powell Jr is the reported hire!

sittingon50
04-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Dave Rose.

sittingon50
04-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Phil Martelli.

sittingon50
04-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Billy Kennedy.

phxfireflames
04-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Dave Rose.

Good call, likely the top candidate for the special assistant position that Ken Boone had a couple of years back.

sittingon50
04-17-2019, 01:26 PM
Rem Bakamus.

sittingon50
04-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Biggs McGee (too soon?).

Radbooks
04-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account @GoodmanHoops

Gonzaga is expected to hire former Vanderbilt assistant Roger Powell, source told @stadium. Will replace Donny Daniels.

Here's a link to info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Powell_(basketball)

Malastein
04-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account @GoodmanHoops

Gonzaga is expected to hire former Vanderbilt assistant Roger Powell, source told @stadium. Will replace Donny Daniels.

Quick as a presumed! Crossing my fingers heíll be great!

Zagdawg
04-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Dan Dickau

@dandickau21
38s38 seconds ago
More
If reports are true that Zags are hiring Roger Powell to replace Donny Daniels who is retiring I must say this is a grand slam. We have many common friends and each has told me he’s a phenomenal person, coach and role model to add to Gonzaga.

"With the Crusaders, Powell worked with both the post and perimeter players in skill development. He also is heavily involved with the Crusaders’ recruiting efforts."

https://vucommodores.com/coaches.aspx?rc=75&path=mbball

Malastein
04-17-2019, 01:50 PM
https://gonzaga_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/stats/112704aab.html

A relevant box score. He also played 1 minute against the Zags his freshmen year back in 2001...

Ezag
04-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Jesus Jones

gonstu
04-17-2019, 02:05 PM
SMC can keep their Aussie pipeline - we are building a Chicago pipeline :)

Like Dickau's feedback. He's a young hire - only 36 y.o. it looks like. I'm sure Few did some good homework and picked a winner.

gonzagafan62
04-17-2019, 02:06 PM
I like this hire!!! Well done, Mark!!!!

former1dog
04-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Like Dickau's feedback. He's a young hire - only 36 y.o. it looks like. I'm sure Few did some good homework and picked a winner.

+100

I'm very impressed with Coach Powell! Welcome to the family.

MDABE80
04-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Probably plants us in the E Coast market. I hope so anyway.

LongIslandZagFan
04-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Considering how quickly this came up... Sounds like Few & Co. knew this was coming and were doing due diligence in the background

Malastein
04-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Considering how quickly this came up... Sounds like Few & Co. knew this was coming and were doing due diligence in the background

They had 2 years to find the right guy. This hire is as important as any recruit we’ve had!

GoZags
04-17-2019, 02:25 PM
https://gonzaga_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/stats/112704aab.html

A relevant box score. He also played 1 minute against the Zags his freshmen year back in 2001...

Yeah .... I was there as the Illini took a 58-27 halftime lead. Highlight of the weekend was sharing the hotel elevator with John Wooden and his grandson. "Mark Few is a fine young man ... and he's a heckuva basketball coach" was what Wooden said to me after noticing my GU gear. He'd just come in from the dinner function the night before the game. Brian Michaelson was on that GU team ...

FWIW I REALLY like this hire.

Zag365
04-17-2019, 02:45 PM

Agree that if he joins the staff it should help recruiting east of the Mississippi. In addition, it looks like he has good international experience (that hopefully can play a role in supporting TL's international recruiting).

Birddog
04-17-2019, 02:49 PM
Heeeeere's Roger
http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/96A133D9-AD6C-4B45-BEE7-9CC1F0078574/11656L.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/EkMwQGiVRYFtf8tg23XhGnFess8=/0x361:2102x1762/1200x800/filters:focal(0x361:2102x1762)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49268169/GettyImages-52627210.0.jpg

77Zag
04-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Playing Experience:
2001-05 - Illinois
2005–2006 - Rockford Lightning (CBA)
2006 - Utah Jazz (NBA)
2006–2007- Arkansas Rimrockers (D-League)
2007–2008 - Siviglia Wear Teramo (Italy)
2008–2009 - Hapoel Jerusalem (Israel)
2009–2010 - Murcia (Spain)
2010 - JDA Dijon (France)
2010–2011 - Skyliners Frankfurt (Germany)

May have some avenues for more Euros as well. Should be a great addition.

Go Zags!!

TexasZagFan
04-17-2019, 02:57 PM

Yeah, I doubt Donny just decided to head for Utah in the last 48 hours. I can't imagine at my age trying to recruit hot shot HS kids to Gonzaga. Perhaps that will open up a pipeline to a home and home opponent in the future.

webspinnre
04-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Love the youth and what sounds like recruiting experience.

Zagceo
04-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Good Luck and welcome aboard!

sittingon50
04-17-2019, 03:37 PM
They had 2 years to find the right guy. This hire is as important as any recruit we’ve had!

Perhaps, but he was employed @ Vandy 'til a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if he comes (or is even entertained) if not for the house-cleaning there.

Nonetheless, this seems to check a lot of boxes. Powell, Pargo, Norvell; keep 'em comin'.

jazzdelmar
04-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Powell's terrific all around...and we could use him a few minutes at the 3 as well...

MickMick
04-17-2019, 03:51 PM
I wonder of previous connections and interactions with GU.

Is the hire based purely upon reputation? Did anyone within the staff interact with Powell in a coaching capacity? Does Few's experience of coaching internationally provide previous interaction? Did the recruitment of Pargo or Norvell provide interaction? Did recruiting on the AAU circuit provide interaction?

The whole story on how this came about intrigues me.

Reborn
04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
They had 2 years to find the right guy. This hire is as important as any recruit weíve had!

I felt losing Daniels was as bad as losing Rui and Clarke. It's a big loss. I loved Donny Daniels and all he did for our Zags. I don't know Powell, but do know that Few and his staff know what THEY are doing. I love what I see and read. Love the Chicago connection and feel this is important. And he would bring international connections as well. I feel real good about this if it happens.

Go Zags!!!

GuZag2012
04-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Gonna miss Donny, but like this hire! I remember watching Roger Powell Jr. play on that great Illinois team with Deron Williams, Luther Head & Dee Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zagdontzig
04-17-2019, 04:52 PM
I can say that while I didn't want Donny to leave, I am pleasantly-surprised by his replacement. Masterfully played.

kitzbuel
04-17-2019, 04:55 PM

How long did that hire take? Less than 24 hours? Iíd say so.

I have been made much more confident that there is a solid succession plan in place across the board.

caldwellzag
04-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Great hire! Donny will be missed, but Roger is a huge addition to the staff!

jpn17
04-17-2019, 05:33 PM
Good call, likely the top candidate for the special assistant position that Ken Boone had a couple of years back.

Now wouldn't that be interesting.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-17-2019, 06:29 PM

Ouch. I remember that game. It stopped my kool-aid binge real quick.

Radbooks
04-17-2019, 07:35 PM
An article in the Spokesman tonight about the hire:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/apr/17/gonzaga-expected-to-hire-roger-powell-jr-to-replac/

rawkmandale
04-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Here is a really good profile.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/coaches/4823/roger-powell-jr/#.VL__VUfF-mE/

I see he has a young family, with a daughter and a son. Local high schools - start your recruiting LOL. He also has had his own ministry organization, which should be a good fit with the "Gonzaga culture."

Zagger
04-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Powell's terrific all around...and we could use him a few minutes at the 3 as well...

Yeah, Powell's a great addition to the Zags for sure. Sorry to see Daniels go but sure happy with how his position has been filled.

webspinnre
04-18-2019, 07:51 AM

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/coaches/4823/roger-powell-jr/#.VL__VUfF-mE/

I see he has a young family, with a daughter and a son. Local high schools - start your recruiting LOL. He also has had his own ministry organization, which should be a good fit with the "Gonzaga culture."

Thanks for sharing this. Love the ministry organization, and his involvement with Athletes in Action, which a number of Gonzaga players have participated in. Everything I'm seeing makes this sound like a slam dunk of a hire.

TexasZagFan
04-18-2019, 08:12 AM
Thanks for sharing this. Love the ministry organization, and his involvement with Athletes in Action, which a number of Gonzaga players have participated in. Everything I'm seeing makes this sound like a slam dunk of a hire.

But what about the 1 DQ he had in college?

:jk:

:lmao:

kitzbuel
04-18-2019, 08:15 AM

Lots of international experience as well, both as a player and with coaching AIA on overseas trips.

CDC84
04-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Just spoke with a major college basketball analyst about Powell. He doesn't know him personally, but he was obviously coached by Bill Self and Bruce Weber in college, so he's been exposed to some high level basketball minds.

The Bryce Drew firing at Vandy is one of the worst and most inexplicable firings in the past 25 years of college basketball. Drew is a very good coach.

One of the reasons why the Drew firing was so inexplicable is that Vandy saw a major rise in their recruiting since he took over. In 2018, Vandy signed Simisola ####tu (#11 nationally, PF - why this stupid site is censoring his last name is beyond me), Darius Garland (#14 nationally, PG), and Aaron Nesmith (#64 nationally, SF). It was a big time deal, and much of it attributed to the recruiting talents of Powell. When Garland went down with a season ending injury this past season, that's what caused Vandy's season to go down the drain. It was too hard for them to compete is a very deep and talented SEC. Drew had no business being fired.

As for my thoughts.....Few has known that Donny was going to retire for some time, and I suspect he knew for some time this was going to be the year. I am sure he's been putting out feelers and doing research. He probably had a list. With the sudden firing of Drew and his staff, Few got on Powell ASAP. That tells me that Few thinks very, very highly of Powell. He's had time to think about other possible candidates. Powell emerges, no hesitation. That tells me GU got themselves a great coach.

Also, while the most crucial thing in hiring an assistant coach is that he be a great coach, I do feel it is good that Few was able to find an African-American coach to replace Donny Daniels. It's important for the GU staff to have diversity. What I also like about the Powell hiring is that he might have some good recruiting connections back east and in the south. Gonzaga doesn't have that on their staff. The Midwest as well.

Vandy didn't bring in a very good 2019 class. So I wouldn't expect Powell to bring any players along with him if they get out of their LOI's. However, the 3 big timers....maybe they think highly enough of Powell that one of them might transfer to GU?

I think this is a very fine hire. The fact that he has experience with post player development is also crucial.

Mantua
04-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Ugh! The Illini didnít get many offensive rebounds because they didnít need to!

CB4
04-18-2019, 03:42 PM
In my opinion, the Daniels retirement and transition to a new program and the coaches announcing a new hire, and a good one at that, immediately after really shows how well the program runs and how in sync the Athletic Department and University are with the basketball program, at least on personnel matters.

Great work by the program.

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Just spoke with a major college basketball analyst about Powell. He doesn't know him personally, but he was obviously coached by Bill Self and Bruce Weber in college, so he's been exposed to some high level basketball minds.

The Bryce Drew firing at Vandy is one of the worst and most inexplicable firings in the past 25 years of college basketball. Drew is a very good coach.

One of the reasons why the Drew firing was so inexplicable is that Vandy saw a major rise in their recruiting since he took over. In 2018, Vandy signed Simisola ####tu (#11 nationally, PF - why this stupid site is censoring his last name is beyond me), Darius Garland (#14 nationally, PG), and Aaron Nesmith (#64 nationally, SF). It was a big time deal, and much of it attributed to the recruiting talents of Powell. When Garland went down with a season ending injury this past season, that's what caused Vandy's season to go down the drain. It was too hard for them to compete is a very deep and talented SEC. Drew had no business being fired.

As for my thoughts.....Few has known that Donny was going to retire for some time, and I suspect he knew for some time this was going to be the year. I am sure he's been putting out feelers and doing research. He probably had a list. With the sudden firing of Drew and his staff, Few got on Powell ASAP. That tells me that Few thinks very, very highly of Powell. He's had time to think about other possible candidates. Powell emerges, no hesitation. That tells me GU got themselves a great coach.

Also, while the most crucial thing in hiring an assistant coach is that he be a great coach, I do feel it is good that Few as able to find an African-American coach to replace Donny Daniels. It's important for the GU staff to have diversity. What I also like about the Powell hiring is that he might have some good recruiting connections back east and in the south. Gonzaga doesn't have that on their staff.

Vandy didn't bring in a very good 2019 class. So I wouldn't expect Powell to bring any players along with him if they get out of their LOI's. However, the 3 big timers....maybe they think highly enough of Powell that one of them might transfer to GU?

I think this is a very fine hire. The fact that he has experience with post player development is also crucial.

####tu and Garland are both going pro this year. So dont count on that. Not sure about the other

CDC84
04-18-2019, 04:15 PM
See, you got censored too:) Is Garland signing with an agent?? If he does, I'd be surprised coming off that terrible injury. He'll get drafted no matter what, but I'd hate to see his draft stock go down because scouts are unsure of his health.

It's certainly something I wouldn't count on. The fact that the kids are from back east doesn't help matters either.

CDC84
04-18-2019, 04:22 PM
I would be willing to bet that not many BCS schools have 36 year old associate head coaches as well. That's probably another sign of Powell's gifts as a coach.

zagsfanforlife
04-18-2019, 04:46 PM
See, you got censored too:) Is Garland signing with an agent?? If he does, I'd be surprised coming off that terrible injury. He'll get drafted no matter what, but I'd hate to see his draft stock go down because scouts are unsure of his health.

It's certainly something I wouldn't count on. The fact that the kids are from back east doesn't help matters either.

Not sure, but even with the injury he will be a first rounder. He is highly regarded.

Malastein
04-18-2019, 04:59 PM
I would be willing to bet that not many BCS schools have 36 year old associate head coaches as well. That's probably another sign of Powell's gifts as a coach.

I really hope we can keep him on at least as long as Donny! He very well could have head coaching aspirations down the line, but it’d be cool if he stayed and offered stability for 9 years!