PDA

View Full Version : Perkins playing in the Portsmouth Invitational this week

Radbooks
04-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Here is a link to the main page about the invitational. It appears Josh's first game is Wednesday evening (4:00 pm our time).

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/

ZagNative
04-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Isn't that game Wednesday rather than tomorrow?

Radbooks
04-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Isn't that game Wednesday rather than tomorrow?

Yes, it is! :) Thanks.

MDABE80
04-15-2019, 10:53 PM
It would be just so amazing if he cleaned up!! I hope he does!

sittingon50
04-15-2019, 11:01 PM
Good Luck Josh.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-16-2019, 01:52 AM
Love Josh Perkins but he just does not have the athleticism to play PG in the league I'm afraid....of course Mickey McConell (sp?...76'ers) and Dellavedeva (sp?) aren't exactly uber athletes and they've found a niche so what do I know.

Best of luck Josh Perkins..have some fun and ball out!

webspinnre
04-16-2019, 07:07 AM
Love Josh Perkins but he just does not have the athleticism to play PG in the league I'm afraid....of course Mickey McConell (sp?...76'ers) and Dellavedeva (sp?) aren't exactly uber athletes and they've found a niche so what do I know.

He can pass and he can shoot, so he's got a chance. Either way, if he wants to play professionally, he'll make plenty of money, whether here or abroad.

LongIslandZagFan
04-16-2019, 07:49 AM
Why do they have Josh listed as a forward?

Ezag
04-16-2019, 07:57 AM
100% of 2018 Portsmouth invitees are playing pro ball somewhere in the world.

LTownZag
04-16-2019, 08:19 AM
I expect Josh to be such a passionate lifelong ambassador for the program. I wouldn't be surprised to see him live in Spokane and be involved in the university, hoopfest, or local basketball at some point.

If/When GU wins a title, I expect JP will be crying well deserved tears of joy. If/When next year's PG woes cost us some games, I expect fans will be crying tears of sorrow.

IowaSERE
04-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Neither did Stockton. Father or son.

LongIslandZagFan
04-16-2019, 11:38 AM

According to some on this very board, the son had no right sniffing an NBA court. Yet he did. Didn't stick around, but he did play in legit NBA games.

kitzbuel
04-16-2019, 11:40 AM
According to some on this very board, the son had no right sniffing an NBA court. Yet he did. Didn't stick around, but he did play in legit NBA games.

Only because of his dad, though....

:jk:

MDABE80
04-16-2019, 11:49 AM
John did. By a far margin. David may not have had his dads gifts, he could dunk quite convincingly and was adequately speedy . Big thing with David was that he knew how to play the game. Just too small.

Sorry about the first post I edited. My phone is a small one and without glasses , they look fine...…. Then, seeing them on the big screen, they make no sense. I know it. Apologies.

Mr Vulture
04-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Only because of his dad, though....

:jk:

I think that David earned his opportunity to play in the NBA. His numbers in the development leagues were very good and he plays a position (PG) that is lacking true guys at most levels.

titopoet
04-16-2019, 01:11 PM

John was an elite athlete. He was always one of quickest PG in the league.

John has tremendous quickness, a quality without which he simply would not have made it as a pro, as well as superb natural endurance—he once ran an eight-mile race in about 42 minutes without training. His peripheral vision and his hands—"Cousy-sized hands," says Hundley—are ideal for a point guard.
https://www.si.com/vault/1988/04/25/117551/not-a-passing-fancy-utahs-surprising-john-stockton-is-the-nba-assist-leader-and-he-can-score-and-play-plenty-of-solid-defense-too

tinfoilzag
04-16-2019, 01:52 PM
John was an elite athlete. He was always one of quickest PG in the league.

https://www.si.com/vault/1988/04/25/117551/not-a-passing-fancy-utahs-surprising-john-stockton-is-the-nba-assist-leader-and-he-can-score-and-play-plenty-of-solid-defense-too

As a kid, I went to a few of the Stockton camps. John Stockton would make an appearance for at least a day of camp.

The speed at which he could perform ball-handling skills were stunning. The figure 8 drill and the one where you lay on your back and pass the ball between your legs as you alternate kick were absolute lighting.

If he hadn't made it in the NBA, we would of been a rich man as a magician (with a basketball).

LTownZag
04-16-2019, 02:39 PM
As a kid, I went to a few of the Stockton camps. John Stockton would make an appearance for at least a day of camp.

The speed at which he could perform ball-handling skills were stunning. The figure 8 drill and the one where you lay on your back and pass the ball between your legs as you alternate kick were absolute lighting.

If he hadn't made it in the NBA, we would of been a rich man as a magician (with a basketball).

The idea that Stockton isn't a superb athlete is nonsense. He's the closest thing Basketball had to Lionel Messi, at least up through the year 2000 or so.

bartruff1
04-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Stockton's basketball IQ was off the charts....he passed the ball to Malone for about 16 years and made about 40 million bucks and got into the HOF......:)

I went to school with his dad and he was plenty smart too...

Mojo13
04-16-2019, 09:40 PM
I think that David earned his opportunity to play in the NBA. His numbers in the development leagues were very good and he plays a position (PG) that is lacking true guys at most levels.

David was merely in the right place at the right time. There are a 100 better PGs out there that have not touched an NBA floor. David has been cut from every middling professional (non G league) team he has played for. First the NZ Breakers, then Zagreb, and once again this year by Medi Bayreuth of the German BBL. People around here can’t admit it but he just isn’t very good. bUt wAiT! hE mAdE tHe nBa!
Well there are about 400+ guys out there in Europe and Asia that are better than the dregs of the NBA on 10 day emergency contracts. Stockton couldn’t hold Pangos’ or NWG’s jock.

former1dog
04-17-2019, 09:08 AM
David was merely in the right place at the right time. There are a 100 better PGs out there that have not touched an NBA floor. David has been cut from every middling professional (non G league) team he has played for. First the NZ Breakers, then Zagreb, and once again this year by Medi Bayreuth of the German BBL. People around here can’t admit it but he just isn’t very good. bUt wAiT! hE mAdE tHe nBa!
Well there are about 400+ guys out there in Europe and Asia that are better than the dregs of the NBA on 10 day emergency contracts. Stockton couldn’t hold Pangos’ or NWG’s jock.

I have to say, your post is ill informed at best.

David Stockton isn't very good? That is literally a ridiculous thing to write.

If you were to write he isn't as good as his Dad; or he isn't good enough to make a permanent NBA roster, etcetera... The dude has made his living playing basketball for a good long stretch now. People who actually make a living as a professional athlete, by definition, are pretty damn good.

You should know that in any given year, the odds of getting struck by lightning are quite a bit higher than the odds of getting a 10 day contract for an NBA team.

webspinnre
04-17-2019, 09:20 AM
I think the general point is that the reason he got that contract is because he was available and currently in the G League. As the saying goes, "sometimes the best ability is availability".

mgadfly
04-17-2019, 11:37 AM
While Pangos and NWG are much better guards, Stockton is a much quicker guard than either of them. His steal percentage, from his worst season, is as good or better than Pangos or NWG best seasons. And his best season doubles or triples up one of Pangos' seasons. He has one thing they don't have, which is NBA level quickness. If I'm taking one of them on an emergency NBA 10-day contract, I'd probably pick Stockton anyway, even if they were all available. At least he can match quickness. Second choice is NWG who has league size. And then there is Pangos who neither has the size or quickness.

If I'm building a team in Europe and need an every day starter, I'm taking NWG or Pangos. Both who are excellent as long as their matchup isn't an NBA freak athlete/size.

ZagNative
04-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Geez, did this thread ever go off the rails....

In case anyone still cares about the posted topic at hand, here are live stats for Josh at Portsmouth in the game now under way: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=261493

Reborn
04-17-2019, 03:44 PM
How did Perkins do in the game?

Radbooks
04-17-2019, 03:45 PM
How did Perkins do in the game?

It's halftime... click on the link for stats!

gonstu
04-17-2019, 03:50 PM
It's halftime... click on the link for stats!

1 turnover, 7 assists at the half. Nice job so far! Only 1-4 FTs though.

Zagger
04-17-2019, 09:35 PM
#____Player____PTS__FG___3FG___FT___OR___DR___REB_ __A___PF___TO___BL___ST___MIN
04*__PERKINS___7___3-10__0-3___1-4___0____5_____5____9___2____3____0____2____22

Too bad Perks wasn't shooting better.

ZagNative
04-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Next game tomorrow at 12:15, K&D Rounds vs Roger Brown's

Stats will be here: https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/

ZagNative
04-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Game underway. Live Stats (http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=261495)

zagzilla
04-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Perk with 6 assists by halftime. 3pts and 1 TO. Hope he can feature some of his scoring ability. That is going to be critical for his prospects

ZZ

sittingon50
04-18-2019, 12:22 PM
7 minutes to go. Perk having a nice game.

(thanks for the link, Native)

gonstu
04-18-2019, 12:31 PM
13 points (3-5 from 3pt), 10 assists, 1 turnover. Still 5 minutes left.

sittingon50
04-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Perk finishes with 13 pts. on 5-10 shooting (3-5 from 3), 5 boards, 2 TO's & 11 assists, including the one that resulted in a game-winning 3 @ the buzzer.

Therunner
04-18-2019, 01:56 PM
By the end of next season, we will realize just how good Perkins is/was, and how much he will be missed.

Special player, incredible feel.

If he was a bit more athletic, he'd be in the League. His feel and passing skills are certainly good enough.

ZagNative
04-18-2019, 02:07 PM
Next up for Josh is Game 10 on Saturday at 10:00 AM. Stats will be here: https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/

jazzdelmar
04-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Perk finishes with 13 pts. on 5-10 shooting (3-5 from 3), 5 boards, 2 TO's & 11 assists, including the one that resulted in a game-winning 3 @ the buzzer.

Did not shoot enough at GU!!!!!!

hooter73
04-18-2019, 06:02 PM
Are there any highlight reels for these games out there?

Zagceo
04-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Go Josh!

Thank You!

ZagNative
04-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Game in progress: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=261502

Josh's team leading 72-69 with 8:21 left in the second. Josh with 6 points on 2-7 shooting, 5 rebounds, 8 assists, and 4 TO's in 26 minutes.

MDABE80
04-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Looks like Josh s shooting has deteriorated but his management and assists are very good.

ZagNative
04-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Josh is #4 in black in this highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXG04WTnoE&list=PLTmWmKiT0iadWSCaKrmk36d_Vb40ZXnLu&index=3&t=0s

MDABE80
04-20-2019, 02:18 PM
So I wonder what’s next for Josh.??
Go Josh!

Thank You!

ZagNative
04-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Do you suppose he'll get invited to the NBA Combine?

Ezag
04-20-2019, 09:34 PM
Thank for the video, the editor must have been on crack

Bogozags
04-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Thank for the video, the editor must have been on crack

Glad to hear you experienced the same thing...thought it was my computer that had the problem...lol

Mojo13
04-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Do you suppose he'll get invited to the NBA Combine?

No.

PIT players rarely get invited. Not sure if ther have been any the last few years. It is an audition mostly for foreign scouts and the G nowadays. A few guys will still get camp invites and even a UFA or two way contract, but not many.

69 guys were invited to the combine last year. Perkins ain’t Top 70 on big boards is he?

Clarke, Rui will get invited...probably Tillie.

ZagNative
04-22-2019, 10:56 PM
"Perkins Named Portsmouth Invitational All-Tournament Team"

https://gozags.com/news/2019/4/21/mens-basketball-perkins-named-portsmouth-invitational-all-tournament-team.aspx

PORTSMOUTH, Va. – Gonzaga's Josh Perkins was named to the 2019 Portsmouth Invitational All-Tournament Team as announced by the organization.

The four-day tournament featured 64 of the top collegiate seniors across the country, playing in Portsmouth, Va., from April 17-20. Perkins' team fell in their opening game, before winning the last two. All three games were decided by one possession.

Perkins totaled 31 assists to nine turnovers in his three games over the week. He dished out 11 assists in his first and last games. The Park Hill, Colo. native, averaged 28.3 minutes per game in Portsmouth. He scored 28 points and grabbed 16 rebounds during the tournament as well.

2019 PIT All-Tournament Team
Chris Clemons MVP, Campbell
Jarrell Brantley, Charleston
Quinndary Weatherspoon, Mississippi State
DaQuan Jeffries, Tulsa
Jeremiah Martin, Memphis
James Palmer, Jr., Nebraska
Josh Reaves, Penn State
Marial Shayok, Iowa State
Terence Davis, Jr., Mississippi
Nick Perkins, Buffalo
Josh Perkins, Gonzaga
Devontae Cacock, UNC-Wilmington

sittingon50
04-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Great job Josh!

:clap:

willandi
04-23-2019, 05:16 AM
I just wish he had shot better.

MileHigh
04-23-2019, 05:51 AM
No.

PIT players rarely get invited. Not sure if ther have been any the last few years. It is an audition mostly for foreign scouts and the G nowadays. A few guys will still get camp invites and even a UFA or two way contract, but not many.

69 guys were invited to the combine last year. Perkins ain’t Top 70 on big boards is he?

Clarke, Rui will get invited...probably Tillie.

True that most PIT players dont get combine invites, but Two Colorado U players have recently got combine invites based on their PIT performance. Derrick White 2017 and George King 2018. Both are now in NBA. All 30 NBA teams had management reps at the PIT and Josh had 15+ interviews with those reps while he was there.

Starting this year the G league Elite camp has basically combined with the combine (E camp starts couple days before combine is same location in Chicago) and they invite another 40 players to that camp so you are looking at over 100 players in Chicago for that week to play and be evaluated by pro scouts. Josh agent is pretty confident, based on how he did at PIT, that he will get one of those 100 slots. I think Norvell gets an invite as well so you might see 5 Zags in Chicago that week

cjm720
04-23-2019, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the update, Mile! I have a feeling Josh is going to have a real nice career!

webspinnre
04-23-2019, 07:49 AM
True that most PIT players dont get combine invites, but Two Colorado U players have recently got combine invites based on their PIT performance. Derrick White 2017 and George King 2018. Both are now in NBA. All 30 NBA teams had management reps at the PIT and Josh had 15+ interviews with those reps while he was there.

Starting this year the G league Elite camp has basically combined with the combine (E camp starts couple days before combine is same location in Chicago) and they invite another 40 players to that camp so you are looking at over 100 players in Chicago for that week to play and be evaluated by pro scouts. Josh agent is pretty confident, based on how he did at PIT, that he will get one of those 100 slots. I think Norvell gets an invite as well so you might see 5 Zags in Chicago that week

Thanks for the info. In any case, I've got to think that Josh made himself a good deal of money with that performance, whether in the US or overseas.

sittingon50
04-23-2019, 10:17 AM
you might see 5 Zags in Chicago that week

Put 'em all on the same team; they'll already know a few plays!

Thanks for the info, MH.

Hoopaholic
04-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Thanks MileHigh tell Josh were rooting for him and have great faith he will be just fine

Zagceo
05-07-2019, 04:35 PM

yep

Two Cougars (CJ Elleby and Robert Franks) along with a Zag (Josh Perkins) have been invited to the upcoming NBA G League Elite Camp.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/may/07/grip-sports-bloomsdays-numbers-continue-fall-trend/

hooter73
05-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Hey alright, nice job Perkins!

Zagger
05-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Hey alright, nice job Perkins!

Ditto!