PDA

View Full Version : Best Recruiting Class for GU EVER!! 2019 Freshman!

former1dog
04-15-2019, 09:10 AM
Ok, so now that these dudes are signed, its ok to move the discussion out of the Whelping Box (hate that name) and on to the MBB.

First, we have Oumar Ballo. He's Gonzaga's latest signee and may have the biggest upside. Nicknamed "Baby Shaq", he's not quite as big as Shaq but it looks to me like he plays a lot like him. Oh, and who knows he might just get as big as Shaq as he is very young.

Ballo is likely a work in process. That said, he is such a physically agressive and dominant player I doubt that he will be redshirted and my guess is he will play significant minutes, maybe 15-20 per game on average this coming season.

If he were older, he would be a one and done prospect. Under the current rules, though, he wouldn't be eligible to be a one and done. I think he has to play at least 2 years, maybe even 3 years of college ball.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/oumar-ballo-234806

former1dog
04-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Drew Timme (TIM - MEE??) is a recruit that I'm personally most excited about making a big and immediate impact coming in. In the video I have seen watching him play, he shows a lot of grit and competitiveness combined with a high skill level to include great court vision, ball handling for a guy who will be playing the Power Forward position and an ability to score on his own.

He is an absolute stud and I think he will be ready to hit the ground running.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/drew-timme-9785

former1dog
04-15-2019, 09:20 AM
The board already seems to be very familiar with Anton Watson. Some say he may be a one and done potential. I hope not, as this kids a stud and a perhaps more skilled Rui Hachimura clone.

Not much to not love about his game. Probably a 5 star player if he would have had a bit more exposure in the traditional recruiting circles, but he committed to Gonzaga early and played on an AAU team consisting of mostly his Gonzaga Prep teammates, so thus didn't get as much exposure.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/anton-watson-210808

former1dog
04-15-2019, 09:24 AM
I'm a big Brock Ravet fan already and started a separate thread about him a few weeks back. He may or may not be the answer next season for Gonzaga at PG, depending on whether or not GU gets a grad transfer at that position and/or how Brock can bring his game along, especially defensively, to the Division 1 level.

No less a source than our own GoZags has been told by in the know individuals that Brock would have had a place and gotten significant minutes on this past seasons team!! WHOAH!!

A great kid, from a great family, with tremendous success already, I'm not going to count Brock out and I'm going to step out on a limb and predicts he'll be a starter next season and more importantly that we collectively will be happy about that!

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/brock-ravet-222019

former1dog
04-15-2019, 09:35 AM
Pavel Zakharov is someone I need to learn a lot more about. I have heard he could very well be an impact player, but might be stuck behind a bit of a logjam at his PF/C position when he arrives and perhaps could be a RS candidate.

He apparently has a big frame and will be one of those players that potentially becomes a big/powerful bruising type player for us. He is a bit more of a traditional BIG, as I understand it.

If you know more about Pavel, please educate the board.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/pavel-zakharov-233610

Mr Vulture
04-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Signing day isn't until April 17th (Wednesday) thru mid May....just an fyi.

former1dog
04-15-2019, 09:43 AM
Lastly for the Freshman coming in, we have SF Martynas Arlauskas. Here is another player that I hope someone can come along and educate the board on.

First, I know he is a Tommy Lloyd recruit, which despite anything else always elevates a recruit in my opinion. Tommy has proven to be extremely good at evaluating talent and he obviously loves Arlauskas' potential.

I have heard that Martynas has had issues with injuries this past season. That said, he was a very young player on a European professional team and was a teammate of our very own Kevin Pangos.

A 4 star prospect according to Rivals

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/martynas-arlauskas-234805

former1dog
04-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Signing day isn't until April 17th (Wednesday) thru mid May....just an fyi.

That may be the late signing period. Drew Timme, for example, has already signed his letter of intent to play for Gonzaga. I know because I saw it on the internet! :D

An article from last November 14

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/14/texas-big-man-drew-timme-commits-to-gonzaga/

Timme joins Gonzaga Prep’s Anton Watson, Kittitas High’s Brock Ravet and Lithuanian Martynas Arlauskas (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/oct/05/zags-welcome-drew-timme-brock-ravet-for-weekend/) in the Zags’ 2019 class. Gonzaga moved to No. 5 in 247sports.com’s team rankings with Timme, Watson and Arlauskas inside the top 50 individually and Ravet at No. 167.
The foursome signed National Letters of Intent Wednesday, the first day of the signing period.

zag buddy
04-15-2019, 10:17 AM
I will try and make it to some summer scrimmages and give my opinion.

Mr Vulture
04-15-2019, 10:24 AM
That may be the late signing period. Drew Timme, for example, has already signed his letter of intent to play for Gonzaga. I know because I saw it on the internet! :D

An article from last November 14

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/14/texas-big-man-drew-timme-commits-to-gonzaga/

I am aware that some of them have signed already but you had mentioned Ballo so I was just pointing out that not all were already in the fold although they will be.

former1dog
04-15-2019, 10:25 AM
I am aware that some of them have signed already but you had mentioned Ballo so I was just pointing out that not all were already in the fold although they will be.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification!

MDABE80
04-15-2019, 01:00 PM
The board already seems to be very familiar with Anton Watson. Some say he may be a one and done potential. I hope not, as this kids a stud and a perhaps more skilled Rui Hachimura clone.

Not much to not love about his game. Probably a 5 star player if he would have had a bit more exposure in the traditional recruiting circles, but he committed to Gonzaga early and played on an AAU team consisting of mostly his Gonzaga Prep teammates, so thus didn't get as much exposure.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/anton-watson-210808

He's not a one and done. Needs work. Lots talent and upside. AND lots of work. POY and MVP in the 4A Washington level.

Birddog
04-15-2019, 01:58 PM
He's not a one and done. Needs work. Lots talent and upside. AND lots of work. POY and MVP in the 4A Washington level.

I would say he needs "fine tuning" he has the athleticism and is very fluid. IMO, he needs to get stronger on rebounds and offensively at the rim. We'll likely see him for 2 years and if we don't I'll be happy to eat crow.

Mantua
04-15-2019, 02:11 PM
I would say he needs "fine tuning" he has the athleticism and is very fluid. IMO, he needs to get stronger on rebounds and offensively at the rim. We'll likely see him for 2 years and if we don't I'll be happy to eat crow.

I think Few will like Anton because heís almost too much of a team player.

billbow47
04-15-2019, 07:32 PM
Drew Timme (TIM - MEE??) is a recruit that I'm personally most excited about making a big and immediate impact coming in. In the video I have seen watching him play, he shows a lot of grit and competitiveness combined with a high skill level to include great court vision, ball handling for a guy who will be playing the Power Forward position and an ability to score on his own.

He is an absolute stud and I think he will be ready to hit the ground running.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/drew-timme-9785

He also has a GREAT left hand.

LTownZag
04-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Can we get a pronunciation guide? Can't trust heister to get it right.

I know it's ruh-vey not Rav-et, but

ZACK-a-rov or Za-CAR-uv?

Tim or timmy, or timmay?

Buy-oh or ball-o? Oomar or Omar?

soccerdud
04-15-2019, 10:03 PM
Can we get a pronunciation guide? Can't trust heister to get it right.

I know it's ruh-vey not Rav-et, but

ZACK-a-rov or Za-CAR-uv?

Tim or timmy, or timmay?

only one i'm confident about is *timmy*.

CDC84
04-16-2019, 04:40 PM
It depends on how you define a recruiting class. I think the greatest recruiting class ever is Wooden's class with Alcindor and whoever else was signed. His impact was so great on the college game that the Fab 5 combined couldn't equal his impact.

On the other hand, yes, there are these large classes where everyone is a big timer. If you go to 247Sports, and look at what their analysts think (not their composite ranking), every guy who is coming in is a top 100 player. The Gray/Daye/Sacre class was like that too, but this class has more members.

jazzdelmar
04-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Lu Allen from KC was arguably as highly rated as Ferdinand Lewis was in high school

It depends on how you define a recruiting class. I think the greatest recruiting class ever is Wooden's class with Alcindor and whoever else was signed. His impact was so great on the college game that the Fab 5 combined couldn't equal his impact.

On the other hand, yes, there are these large classes where everyone is a big timer. If you go to 247Sports, and look at what their analysts think (not their composite ranking), every guy who is coming in is a top 100 player. The Gray/Daye/Sacre class was like that too, but this class has more members.

caldwellzag
04-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Lastly for the Freshman coming in, we have SF Martynas Arlauskas. Here is another player that I hope someone can come along and educate the board on.

First, I know he is a Tommy Lloyd recruit, which despite anything else always elevates a recruit in my opinion. Tommy has proven to be extremely good at evaluating talent and he obviously loves Arlauskas' potential.

I have heard that Martynas has had issues with injuries this past season. That said, he was a very young player on a European professional team and was a teammate of our very own Kevin Pangos.

A 4 star prospect according to Rivals

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/martynas-arlauskas-234805

The coaching staff believes Martynas may end up being the best recruit in this entire (really good) recruiting class. They are also very high on Ravet. It's hard to believe, but this class might be under ranked overall, if these two would be properly ranked by all the recruiting sites.

LTownZag
04-17-2019, 06:54 AM
The coaching staff believes Martynas may end up being the best recruit in this entire (really good) recruiting class. They are also very high on Ravet. It's hard to believe, but this class might be under ranked overall, if these two would be properly ranked by all the recruiting sites.

Can you share any other details or perceptions of Martynas?

So far he's been almost ignored, and there's not much info or video out there.

former1dog
04-17-2019, 07:09 AM

I had heard this about Ravet, but not Martynas. Wow! An embarassment of riches with this class. Obviously we shouldn't get to far out over our skis but there is lots of reason for optimism based on our coaching staff's record of developing talent and team cohesion.

caldwellzag
04-17-2019, 08:02 AM
Can you share any other details or perceptions of Martynas?

So far he's been almost ignored, and there's not much info or video out there.

There is not much out there on him at all. What I was told is that Martynas is the biggest fly under the radar recruit we have and had he not been injured this past year he is a Top 25 type talent. His feel for the game is unheard of, those were the exact words that were used, basketball IQ through the roof. He said Tommy struck gold here.

Said similar stuff about Ravet, then I asked about the big 4 and got a laugh and said you already know how good they are, as everyone is talking about them already.

LTownZag
04-17-2019, 08:31 AM
There is not much out there on him at all. What I was told is that Martynas is the biggest fly under the radar recruit we have and had he not been injured this past year he is a Top 25 type talent. His feel for the game is unheard of, those were the exact words that were used, basketball IQ through the roof. He said Tommy struck gold here.

Said similar stuff about Ravet, then I asked about the big 4 and got a laugh and said you already know how good they are, as everyone is talking about them already.

From the couple youtube clips it seems like his ceiling might be something like a bouncier or quicker Kispert? A little less strong, but maybe more able to create offense and defend at a higher level?

(I guess I'm half asking and half conjecturing)

Caldwell - I really appreciate your information here!

caldwellzag
04-17-2019, 10:09 AM
From the couple youtube clips it seems like his ceiling might be something like a bouncier or quicker Kispert? A little less strong, but maybe more able to create offense and defend at a higher level?

(I guess I'm half asking and half conjecturing)

Caldwell - I really appreciate your information here!

I am not sure Kispert is the best comp to Martynas. Maybe Micah Downs.

ZagMan in Philly
04-18-2019, 05:23 AM
I will try and make it to some summer scrimmages and give my opinion.

Looking forward to your report. Was told that Drew will be in Spokane and attend summer classes.

Nevada Don
04-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Can we get a pronunciation guide? Can't trust heister to get it right

ďItís NOT Balo... Itís Jerry CALOĒ

sittingon50
04-18-2019, 12:26 PM
“It’s NOT Balo... It’s Jerry CALO”

:clap:

Jstock12
04-18-2019, 02:42 PM
I had heard this about Ravet, but not Martynas. Wow! An embarassment of riches with this class. Obviously we shouldn't get to far out over our skis but there is lots of reason for optimism based on our coaching staff's record of developing talent and team cohesion.

Please hold your horses with Martynas. While he most certainly can become a very solid college player in 1-2 years, I just don't think he's there yet.

This season's averages in the second Lithuanian league (no team in that league was as good as Gonzaga this year, however there are quite a few teams that would place top4 in the WCC):
17 games, 18 mpg
4.9 ppg (41.5% on 2-pointers, 29.4% on 3-pointers, 87.5% from the FT line)
2.5 rpg
1.3 apg
1.2 turnovers

That injury he suffered has stunted his growth. Here's hoping he can finally start moving forward again when he's a Zag.

kitzbuel
04-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Best part of this is that 2020 still has the time and potential to be better.

Makes me drool.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Malastein
04-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Best part of this is that 2020 still has the time and potential to be better.

Makes me drool.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jalen Suggs almost cements it as the best...

EEzag
04-19-2019, 06:31 AM
I am not sure Kispert is the best comp to Martynas. Maybe Micah Downs.

Stop it Caldwell, you had me at hello.