• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Today's Athletic has odd attribution

Today's Athletic has an odd attribution:

“I think a lot of the time (Perkins) is looked over,” Michaelson said. “What he’s meant to this program is incredible and replacing that with anyone is difficult.” GU has had runs like this before. Perkins followed in the footsteps of Kevin Pangos, a task that Michaelson acknowledged was tricky for Perkins. He expects a seamless transition next season, with Norvell sliding over to the point guard role, assuming he returns.
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Today's Athletic has an odd attribution:

“I think a lot of the time (Perkins) is looked over,” Michaelson said. “What he’s meant to this program is incredible and replacing that with anyone is difficult.” GU has had runs like this before. Perkins followed in the footsteps of Kevin Pangos, a task that Michaelson acknowledged was tricky for Perkins. He expects a seamless transition next season, with Norvell sliding over to the point guard role, assuming he returns.
    Ummm.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

It'll be PG by committee next year: Zach, Ravet, grad transfer sharing time at the 1. Friends, we're a long way to Kraziness in the Kennel, so let's not jump to any conclusions yet.

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
        It'll be PG by committee next year: Zach, Ravet, grad transfer sharing time at the 1. Friends, we're a long way to Kraziness in the Kennel, so let's not jump to any conclusions yet.

Why not? this site is often all about "jumping"; to conclusions, on each other, off tall buildings just to name a few.
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

If Norvell runs the point, we are doomed
          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
            Why not? this site is often all about "jumping"; to conclusions, on each other, off tall buildings just to name a few.

This board could use this.
            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• VinnyZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Here's the link, for those who are subscribers.

Comment

• LTownZag
                Banned
                • Mar 2017

Since this was not a coach quote, but was the interpretation by the Zag writer "[Michaelson] expects a seamless transition next season, with Norvell sliding over to the point guard role, assuming he returns."

It IS possible that Michaelson's exact phrasing or implied intent was perhaps a bit less clear cut about ZN taking on primary PG duties. Maybe, for example, the coach said that Norvell "might be coached and trained to help take on some of that role"

I have no insider info either way, I'm just trying to be aware of the way that such things can end up appearing overstated in the creation of a news story. (No offense to Ms. Andrews the author)

Since this wasn't premised on Norvell being gone, I also felt that this was a mistake in the article:

Kispert should take on a bigger role on and off the court, especially if Tillie does not return. A rising junior, Kispert will be the most experienced player on the team and will have to switch from the glue-guy role he has filled to a primary team leader.

Norvell is more experienced than Kispert. He redshirted with the team for our final 4 year and has spent 50% more time with the program and in Spokane than Kispert.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                  Norvell is more experienced than Kispert. He redshirted with the team for our final 4 year and has spent 50% more time with the program and in Spokane than Kispert.

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Just seems like an overall oddball article to me.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post

This board could use this.
                      OMG that’s exactly what I was gonna post. Anyone seen a jump to conclusions mat, because that would be a big money maker. It wouldn’t even have to work, it could just be a mat with that guy’s picture on it.
                      It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                        Ummm.
                        this is exactly what came to mind...….

Comment

• Zags_Fanatic
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2012

I know I'm in the minority on this, but if we don't get a great grad transfer G I think Norvell is the best option. He has good handles and can distribute when needed. 3.1 Assists to 1.4 TOs is very good jumping off point for a G that was almost always playing off the ball. Obviously an elite true PG would be ideal, but if he can bump assists up to around 4.5 and share PG duties with some of the others when needed this could still be a Top 15 caliber team next season and an elite title contender in 2020-2021.

Comment

• bigblahla
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Not afraid of Snacks on point at all.... he's a stud that gives his best when on the court.... he slid there at times this season... I expect Ravet to get his PT too... Tillie is my question mark, what a plus he would add to next years Zags....

Go!! Zags!!!
                            "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• VinnyZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                              Since this was not a coach quote, but was the interpretation by the Zag writer "[Michaelson] expects a seamless transition next season, with Norvell sliding over to the point guard role, assuming he returns."

It IS possible that Michaelson's exact phrasing or implied intent was perhaps a bit less clear cut about ZN taking on primary PG duties. Maybe, for example, the coach said that Norvell "might be coached and trained to help take on some of that role"

I have no insider info either way, I'm just trying to be aware of the way that such things can end up appearing overstated in the creation of a news story. (No offense to Ms. Andrews the author)
                              It's not a direct quote, but the way that's written, my guess is that Michaelson said Norvell is an option at the point. Nobody I know would phrase it that way unless the coach said it. (I worked in news for 20+ years.)

I don't know Kendra Andrews, but I know people who know her and she's got a great reputation. Plus I've read her stuff all year, and it appears she's really good at this. I believe she'd only write that if she got it from Michaelson.

Comment

Working...
                              X