PDA

View Full Version : Potential Non-Grad Transfer Post

SLOZag
04-11-2019, 09:02 PM
I haven't been able to find a potential non-grad transfer thread in the Whelping Box, and so I thought I would start one. Mods are requested to change the title of this post from "Post" to "Thread," and are encouraged to move other potential non-grad transfer posts here to consolidate them.

RayQuan Evans
Evans is a sophomore at North Idaho College, where (this past year?) he "averaged 18.2 points per game and was second in the league with 79 steals and 162 assists. He also averaged 7.4 rebounds per game, and was named the East Region MVP in helping the Cardinals (31-2) to a region title and their second straight NWAC championship." He has just been "named the Northwest Athletic Conference male basketball athlete of the year."

"Evans is considering several options for next season, including offers from Florida State, Gonzaga and Washington State."

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/former-billings-skyview-star-named-northwest-athletic-conference-basketball-athlete/article_b18bbdd8-d114-57e4-86b7-1169b9ef3c89.html

Any thoughts?

willandi
04-11-2019, 09:19 PM
I haven't been able to find a potential non-grad transfer post in the Whelping Box, and so I though I would start one. Mods are encouraged to move other potential non-grad transfer posts here to consolidate them.

RayQuan Evans
Evans is a sophomore at North Idaho College, where (this past year?) he "averaged 18.2 points per game and was second in the league with 79 steals and 162 assists. He also averaged 7.4 rebounds per game, and was named the East Region MVP in helping the Cardinals (31-2) to a region title and their second straight NWAC championship." He has just been "named the Northwest Athletic Conference male basketball athlete of the year."

"Evans is considering several options for next season, including offers from Florida State, Gonzaga and Washington State."

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/former-billings-skyview-star-named-northwest-athletic-conference-basketball-athlete/article_b18bbdd8-d114-57e4-86b7-1169b9ef3c89.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks for starting this thread. People were throwing all potential transfers into the grad transfer thread, and they are different.

Definitely under the radar, but at 6'4" big enough to do some work. The 162 assists from the SG position is really good too. I don't think they played 30 games, so it would be more than 5/game.

Before we bash a JUCO, wasn't Batista a JUCO? and McClellan? just from memory.

soccerdud
04-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. People were throwing all potential transfers into the grad transfer thread, and they are different.

Definitely under the radar, but at 6'4" big enough to do some work. The 162 assists from the SG position is really good too. I don't think they played 30 games, so it would be more than 5/game.

they played 33 games. their record is in the post you quoted.

willandi
04-11-2019, 09:49 PM
they played 33 games. their record is in the post you quoted.

Didn't read it close enough then. Sorry.

So 4.9 assist/game for a SG. Good number.

seacatfan
04-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Jordan Brown/Nevada has entered the portal. Zags were after him while he was in HS IIRC.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjG4tmf9snhAhVDRqwKHfFCDi0Q0PADMAF6BAgCE Ak&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnevadasportsnet.com%2Fnews%2Frepo rters%2Fnevadas-jordan-brown-in-transfer-portal-looking-for-trust-at-next-school&usg=AOvVaw3n7W_9DnWv9Zw1SbaVKR4K

ZagNation
04-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Quentin Hall came to GU from NIC. Damn good player.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/906/996/5996906.JPG

Bogozags
04-12-2019, 03:29 AM

Batista was McClellan not so sure think he was a transfer from a 4yr school...might you be thinking of Carter?

GuZag2012
04-12-2019, 03:50 AM
McClellan was at Vanderbilt briefly before coming to GU. I believe he was dismissed midway through the year there. Prior to that I believe he had played at Tulsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willandi
04-12-2019, 06:27 AM
Batista was McClellan not so sure think he was a transfer from a 4yr school...might you be thinking of Carter?

Could be right. There was at least one other...and Quentin as well.

bdmiller7
04-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Could be right. There was at least one other...and Quentin as well.

Marquise Carter was a JUCO I believe.

TexasZagFan
04-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Jordan Brown/Nevada has entered the portal. Zags were after him while he was in HS IIRC.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjG4tmf9snhAhVDRqwKHfFCDi0Q0PADMAF6BAgCE Ak&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnevadasportsnet.com%2Fnews%2Frepo rters%2Fnevadas-jordan-brown-in-transfer-portal-looking-for-trust-at-next-school&usg=AOvVaw3n7W_9DnWv9Zw1SbaVKR4K

Spokane would be a great place with the right environment for Jordan to recapture his mojo. His dad sounds like a pretty solid guy, and I'm sure he's aware of the Zags' success in developing big men for the next level.

JAGzag
04-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Spokane would be a great place with the right environment for Jordan to recapture his mojo. His dad sounds like a pretty solid guy, and I'm sure he's aware of the Zags' success in developing big men for the next level.

Don’t think we need another big.

OntZags
04-12-2019, 07:27 AM

I don't see how we can spare a scholarship for a season when a PG next year is the most pressing need.

Plus with the stable of bigs we have moving forward, he would have no assurance of playing time.

I doubt we're on him this go around.

PCZ_Frites
04-12-2019, 07:38 AM

The JUCO recruit used to be more common with the program, but perhaps the combo of new grad transfer rules, and the growth of the program we've seen less over the last few years. Off the top of my head:

Batista
Q Hall
Anthony Reason
Carter
Alex Hernandez
Wintson Brooks
Tony Skinner

Birddog
04-12-2019, 07:40 AM
I think Germayne Forbes, Anthony Reason, Alex Hernandez, Abdulahai Kuso and Tony Skinner were all JUCO's too.

PCZ_Frites
04-12-2019, 07:47 AM
I think Germayne Forbes, Anthony Reason, Alex Hernandez, Abdulahai Kuso and Tony Skinner were all JUCO's too.

Forbes came as a freshman from the UK, but yes on the others. Hall and Winston Brooks were both from North Idaho College too.

Birddog
04-12-2019, 08:13 AM
Forbes came as a freshman from the UK, but yes on the others. Hall and Winston Brooks were both from North Idaho College too.

Well I got some of them correct.

former1dog
04-12-2019, 08:19 AM
My favorite player, Felix McGowan, was a star at NIC prior to transferring to Gonzaga.

kitzbuel
04-12-2019, 08:23 AM
My favorite player, Felix McGowan, was a star at NIC prior to transferring to Gonzaga.

He's your homey, right?

former1dog
04-12-2019, 08:38 AM
He's your homey, right?

We grew up together in Poplar.

Dan O'Brien and I used to go watch him play at NIC all the time. Went to more NIC games than Gonzaga games :)

seacatfan
04-12-2019, 10:03 AM
The JUCO recruit used to be more common with the program, but perhaps the combo of new grad transfer rules, and the growth of the program we've seen less over the last few years. Off the top of my head:

Batista
Q Hall
Anthony Reason
Carter
Alex Hernandez
Wintson Brooks
Tony Skinner

Guy Landri-Edi also?

sittingon50
04-12-2019, 11:09 AM

I think Q got dismissed from NIC & wound up over at Yakima Valley CC with Leon Rice.

sittingon50
04-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Bakari Hendrix: One year @ CC in Bay area, 3 yrs. a GU, 2 X 1ST TEAM, Sr. year WCC POY ('98).

John Rillie transferred from Tacoma CC & shot the Zags into their 1st NCAA Tourney in '95. 2 x Honorable Mention WCC

Mamery Diallo
Kyle Dixon - 1st team WCC '95 & '96
Jeremy Eaton - 1st team WCC '99
Doug Griffin
Abdullahi Kuso
Mike Leasure
Lorenzo Rollins - 1ST team WCC '97

Birddog
04-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Ira Brown too IIRC.

PCZ_Frites
04-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Well I got some of them correct.

You did good! :)

Forbes didn't last more than two years, so I guess we were a JC of sorts to him. I'm sure we are missing more.

Radbooks
04-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Here's another article about RayQuan. Looks like there is lots of interest in him:

https://montanasports.com/more-college/2019/04/12/former-billings-skyview-star-rayquan-evans-mulling-offers-from-major-colleges/

doctorzag
04-14-2019, 06:08 PM
Here's another article about RayQuan. Looks like there is lots of interest in him:

https://montanasports.com/more-college/2019/04/12/former-billings-skyview-star-rayquan-evans-mulling-offers-from-major-colleges/

RayQuan committed to Florida State today

SLOZag
04-15-2019, 01:14 PM
"University of Cincinnati star Jarron Cumberland was at the press conference to introduce new coach John Brannen. Cumberland was happy with the hire.

"ďHeís a good coach. We saw what he did at NKU," Cumberland said. "I think a great coach is a good thing for us." But Cumberland said he still is undecided about returning for his senior year. Cumberland could declare the NBA Draft, although most scouts do not have him rated as going in either of two rounds.

"Cumberland , a 6-foot-5 guard, leads a strong ground of returning players for the Bearcats. He averaged 19.0 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.76 assists a game last year and was named the American Athletic Conference Player of the Year."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2019/04/15/john-brannen-hiring-jarron-cumberland-noncommittal-uc-next-year/3475069002/?src=rss

Hmmmm ... What to do? What to do?

sittingon50
04-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Hauser brothers leaving Marquette!!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26530869/marquette-losing-hauser-brothers-transfer

Anyone have any idea what's up with that??

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-16-2019, 01:59 AM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26530869/marquette-losing-hauser-brothers-transfer

That's a shocker...on the heels of their star guard Howard announcing he is coming back.

WallaWallaZag
04-16-2019, 07:40 AM
That's a shocker...on the heels of their star guard Howard announcing he is coming back.

howard coming back could be one reason they're leaving...it is a very strange one though as you never see good players (starters) leaving a team that is consensus top 10 good the next year.

zagfan24
04-16-2019, 08:13 AM

I have heard both dissatisfaction with Wojo and frustration with Howard. I think it's a combination of the two...Wojo's lack of offensive creativity or willingness to get Howard to facilitate led to the Hauser brothers being underutilized. I also think Marquette's lack of any other remotely decent guard play put them in this position. Howard is a point guard in size only, and if they had a decent ball handling guard, it would have meant less hero ball from Markus. To be fair, I think both Hausers were inconsistent and had their own role in this debacle. That said, the elder Hauser could play a Wiltjer-like role for somebody.

I root for Marquette over anyone except GU, but they were extremely overrated this past year and the talk of them being a top 5 team next year was similarly misguided in my opinion. Howard is talented but streaky. They have some other good players coming in but not nearly the level of talent I'd expect for a top-10 team...I'd say more the 11-20 range at best. Without the Hauser bros they might not be in the top 25.

Zagdawg
04-16-2019, 10:05 AM
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/TransferPortal/

Worthington
04-24-2019, 03:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im-Ln9gGptQ

Does anyone else see some Ja Morant in Cam Mack? He's the most appealing option that I'm seeing on the board right now.

PCZ_Frites
04-25-2019, 11:50 AM
I don't know if he's a grad transfer or undergrad transfer, but UNC's Seventh Woods has entered into the transfer portal. His UNC career has been underwhelming, but certainly has a ton of potential upside.

TheOtherGreatOne
04-25-2019, 12:29 PM
This is not the answer.

gonzagafan62
04-25-2019, 12:35 PM
This is not the answer.

Huh? Lol

OZZY
04-25-2019, 03:35 PM

Does anyone else see some Ja Morant in Cam Mack? He's the most appealing option that I'm seeing on the board right now.

He looks very athletic, but I wonder about his temperament, he has already committed and de-committed from 2 x D1 universities......

WallaWallaZag
04-25-2019, 08:31 PM
i see a lot of carrying/palming the ball that would be called at the d1 level...

TheOtherGreatOne
04-26-2019, 01:02 PM
i see a lot of carrying/palming the ball that would be called at the d1 level...

It is according to who you are playing for, whether or not you would get palming the ball called on you or not.

SLOZag
04-26-2019, 02:59 PM

Perhaps you also noticed his hooking with the off dribble hand that he executes almost like a backwards strightarm. Gets him major separation from his defender.

doctorzag
04-27-2019, 07:02 PM

Cam Mack to Nebraska

Zagdawg
04-28-2019, 11:31 AM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
Following Following @GoodmanHoops
More
South Dakota State transfer David Jenkins will take a visit to Gonzaga on May 4, he told @Stadium. Has already visited Oregon.

2) David Jenkins, 6-2, 200, SG, Soph., South Dakota State
Stats: 19.7 ppg, 45% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “David is a dynamic scorer that makes challenging shots at such an efficient level. He just needs to improve on the defensive end.”
Schools: Oregon (4-19), UCLA, Gonzaga, UNLV, UCLA, Washington State, Memphis, South Dakota State

https://watchstadium.com/news/ranking-the-best-transfers-in-college-basketball-this-offseason-04-22-2019/

jazzdelmar
04-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Geno 2.0? Three star in hs. Pass.

Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
Following Following @GoodmanHoops
More
South Dakota State transfer David Jenkins will take a visit to Gonzaga on May 4, he told @Stadium. Has already visited Oregon.

2) David Jenkins, 6-2, 200, SG, Soph., South Dakota State
Stats: 19.7 ppg, 45% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “David is a dynamic scorer that makes challenging shots at such an efficient level. He just needs to improve on the defensive end.”
Schools: Oregon (4-19), UCLA, Gonzaga, UNLV, UCLA, Washington State, Memphis, South Dakota State

https://watchstadium.com/news/ranking-the-best-transfers-in-college-basketball-this-offseason-04-22-2019/

webspinnre
04-28-2019, 12:34 PM
45% from 3 would certainly be welcome.

jazzdelmar
04-28-2019, 12:44 PM
45% from 3 would certainly be welcome.

Dunno, same 3 pt line in Dakota? Stats may be skewed.

bdmiller7
04-28-2019, 12:49 PM

Why does how many stars he had in high school matter? Did Brandon Clarke even have any stars in high school?

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-28-2019, 01:17 PM

With the consistency of your inaccurate, pessimistic and objectively terrible takes, I often ask myself if you are a St. Maryís fan that loves trolling the fanbase of a program that does things right (both ethically and effectively) more than any other.

Any other explanation of finding this many things to be negative about as it relates to Gonzaga menís basketball is incomprehensible.

jazzdelmar
04-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Yawn.

With the consistency of your inaccurate, pessimistic and objectively terrible takes, I often ask myself if you are a St. Mary’s fan that loves trolling the fanbase of a program that does things right (both ethically and effectively) more than any other.

Any other explanation of finding this many things to be negative about as it relates to Gonzaga men’s basketball is incomprehensible.

soccerdud
04-28-2019, 02:18 PM
With the consistency of your inaccurate, pessimistic and objectively terrible takes, I often ask myself if you are a St. Mary’s fan that loves trolling the fanbase of a program that does things right (both ethically and effectively) more than any other.

Any other explanation of finding this many things to be negative about as it relates to Gonzaga men’s basketball is incomprehensible.

it's less that and more just that dismissing this kid like that is lazy and unenlightening. sometimes jazz has points -- i like those posts. but the curmudgeonly "i know all i need to about this and <insert facile comparison and dismissal>" are kinda grating. tell me, jazz... got anything beyond 3-star small college scoring guard -- and one of those recently broke your heart -- to support your position? cause that seems pretty weak.

bdmiller7
04-28-2019, 02:32 PM
I look at how ESPN and stadium both had him as the second best sit out transfer, ahead of former 5 stars Quinerly and Brown. If he could become immediately eligible, which I hear is a possibility, that would be huge as it looks like Norvell may be gone.

maynard g krebs
04-28-2019, 03:02 PM
Three star in hs. Pass.

Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau, to name two. Players do improve after high school. Steph Curry, Davidson. Damian Lillard, Weber State. Steve Nash, Santa Clara. But you know all that.

gonzagafan62
04-28-2019, 03:19 PM
Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau, to name two. Players do improve after high school. Steph Curry, Davidson. Damian Lillard, Weber State. Steve Nash, Santa Clara. But you know all that.

Exactly

jazzdelmar
04-28-2019, 03:57 PM

I do Maynard. You’re right. But those guys are cherry picked outliers....and you know it.

doctorzag
04-28-2019, 09:04 PM
it's less that and more just that dismissing this kid like that is lazy and unenlightening. sometimes jazz has points -- i like those posts. but the curmudgeonly "i know all i need to about this and <insert facile comparison and dismissal>" are kinda grating. tell me, jazz... got anything beyond 3-star small college scoring guard -- and one of those recently broke your heart -- to support your position? cause that seems pretty weak.

6-2 guard who averages 1.6 assists per game ans 1.7 turnovers a game . Also provides no rebounding help for our big guys and is lacking on the defensive end. Also may not even be eligible this year.
Not sure why all the hype.
Yes he can shoot but what else?

soccerdud
04-28-2019, 09:20 PM
6-2 guard who averages 1.6 assists per game ans 1.7 turnovers a game . Also provides no rebounding help for our big guys and is lacking on the defensive end. Also may not even be eligible this year.
Not sure why all the hype.
Yes he can shoot but what else?

i honestly don't know-- but would you pass on him based on that? we'll need a scoring guard (much moreso if norvell stays in the draft) and between our interest, the stats available, and the transfer rankings, it seems like he could be a contributor -- especially given the other guard options we know about. i am absolutely not anointing him or anything like that. no one is claiming he's our answer at PG (or even viable there). i was just pointing out that jazz's argument to "pass" on him was weakly supported and based more on his emotions about crandall than actual knowledge about jenkins.

HenneZag
04-29-2019, 05:43 AM
We need someone this year. He seems like a solid player, we have some studs coming next year and I believe can find a grad transfer that would better fit our needs. Definitely intriguing, I would be sold if he was eligible now.

Worthington
04-29-2019, 06:36 AM
Jenkins can score (at least at the Summit League level), but nothing else about his stats jump out at me. The video that I've watched show an undersized shooting guard with a quick trigger. Don't see how pursuing him is in line with our current recruiting standard and philosophy. Just my honest assessment.

Another grad transfer that I am really excited about (but haven't seen confirmation that we've reached out) is Lindsey Drew. Sat out last season with an injury, but averaged 8 points 4 rebounds 4 assists 1 block and 1 steal in 2017-18, and was an Mountain West All-Defense selection. Have to think that the staff is on him.

caldwellzag
04-29-2019, 07:02 AM
As of today sounding like our top targets are Cam Mack, David Jenkins, and Admon Gilder. Names put in order of most likely to sign with us.

Kiddwell
04-29-2019, 07:05 AM
As of today sounding like our top targets are Cam Mack, David Jenkins, and Admon Gilder. Names put in order of most likely to sign with us.
Caldwell, if you're able to tell, how'd you rate our chances for each? (Good, Medium, Poor)

:]

raise the zag
04-29-2019, 07:06 AM
3 things about Jenkins compared to Geno.

1. He is ranked by every analyst, including Jeff Goodman as the 2nd best "sit out" transfer this year. Geno wasn't even considered in the Top-10 of available transfers until he was one of the last available on the market.

2. Has nearly 40 lbs on Geno at the same height. Stronger, more dynamic, can use his body more, yet not nearly the defender Geno is/was.

3. Had a better efficiency and makes from 3pt line, and attempts some tough, defended shots to boot. Most of Geno's looks had to be wide open, or were wide open.

David Jenkins made 196 3pt shots in 2 yrs, Geno made 128 3pt shots in 4 yrs. Jenkins career 45% 3pt, Geno 36%. 10% in bball is statistically significant -- huge difference.

caldwellzag
04-29-2019, 07:08 AM
Caldwell, if you're able to tell, how'd you rate our chances for each? (Good, Medium, Poor)

:]

Mack - Medium, Jenkins - Medium, Gilder - so-so

caldwellzag
04-29-2019, 07:09 AM
3 things about Jenkins compared to Geno.

1. He is ranked by every analyst, including Jeff Goodman as the 2nd best "sit out" transfer this year. Geno wasn't even considered in the Top-10 of available transfers until he was one of the last available on the market.

2. Has nearly 40 lbs on Geno at the same height. Stronger, more dynamic, can use his body more, yet not nearly the defender Geno is/was.

3. Had a better efficiency and makes from 3pt line, and attempts some tough, defended shots. Most of Geno's looks had to be wide open, or were wide open.

David Jenkins made 196 3pt shots in 2 yrs, Geno made 128 3pt shots in 4 yrs. Jenkins career 45% 3pt, Geno 36%. 10% in bball is statistically significant -- huge difference.

They are different players all around, only thing in common is they both went to a school with Dakota in it's name.

raise the zag
04-29-2019, 07:10 AM
They are different players all around, only thing in common is they both went to a school with Dakota in it's name.

Could be a sniper off the bench, who can mix it up or be aggressive with his compact, strong body when he adds that element to his game. Exactly what we needed and we missing vs Tech down the stretch, imho.

caldwellzag
04-29-2019, 07:16 AM
Could be a sniper off the bench, who can mix it up or be aggressive with his compact, strong body when he adds that element to his game. Exactly what we needed and we missing vs Tech down the stretch, imho.

I agree with you on Jenkins. He will be on campus this weekend, let's hope he doesn't leave.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-29-2019, 07:18 AM

Cam Mack signed with Nebraska and Fred Hoiberg yesterday.

caldwellzag
04-29-2019, 07:19 AM

Well crap. I was out of town all weekend and heard on Friday that he was our top target. Sorry about that and me not doing my research this morning.

webspinnre
04-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Well crap. I was out of town all weekend and heard on Friday that he was our top target. Sorry about that and me not doing my research this morning.

We're so disappointed in you for having a life and not spending every waking moment of your day trying to keep us up on Zag recruiting. :jk:

caldwellzag
04-29-2019, 07:27 AM
We're so disappointed in you for having a life and not spending every waking moment of your day trying to keep us up on Zag recruiting. :jk:

Lol well I should have at least googled Cam this morning, it's pretty clear he committed to Nebraska.

maynard g krebs
04-29-2019, 02:35 PM
I do Maynard. You’re right. But those guys are cherry picked outliers....and you know it.

You're right, of course. And I did think Geno would do more than he did; hard to say how much of it was injury. I'm just sayin' you can reevaluate a transfer a couple-three yrs later and the 3 star ranking might not mean anything then. Clarke was another lowish three star out of hs; I looked him up when he was being recruited as a trans and he was something like the #51 pf on Rivals, I think it was.

I know nothing about Jenkins, though, except that the numbers say he can put the ball through the hoop.

JAGzag
04-29-2019, 04:49 PM

Nebraska?! :roll:

scrooner
04-29-2019, 06:50 PM
Hey, if they round up some more guys maybe they can form a basketball team!

exclusivelee
04-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Nebraska?! :roll:It is Fred Hoiberg though. He landed quite a few transfers at Iowa State and his teams seemed to do very well with all the transfers from juco or other D1 programs

HenneZag
04-29-2019, 07:10 PM
Man, high end program and an immediate need for the PG position you would think we would have some guys lining up for this opportunity.

WallaWallaZag
04-29-2019, 11:46 PM
Man, high end program and an immediate need for the PG position you would think we would have some guys lining up for this opportunity.

times have changed...zags reputation now is their work with bigs. if you are a guard looking to showcase your game for the next level, gonzaga probably isn't your number one destination.

ZagsObserver
04-30-2019, 04:55 AM
times have changed...zags reputation now is their work with bigs. if you are a guard looking to showcase your game for the next level, gonzaga probably isn't your number one destination.

I disagree with this. It’s just the way the dice fell. If GU had gotten a five star guard like Collins or Sabonis, GU would have placed him in the first round as well.

Bogozags
04-30-2019, 12:00 PM
I disagree with this. Itís just the way the dice fell. If GU had gotten a five star guard like Collins or Sabonis, GU would have placed him in the first round as well.

Please tell me who was the last GU guard that was drafted in the 1st round?

GU is no longer guard U...

Zagceo
04-30-2019, 12:26 PM

just doubled checked and confirmed John Stockton was picked 16th in 1984 draft

interesting fact from the 84' draft

Olajuwon, Jordan and Barkley, along with the 16th pick John Stockton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stockton) and the 131st pick Oscar Schmidt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Schmidt), have been inducted to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_Memorial_Basketball_Hall_of_Fame)

ZagsObserver
04-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Who was the last guard recruit that was projected as a likely nba pick? I think Josh and Zach are the only two in recent memory, and Zach is likely in the nba next after only two active seasons.

Strawther, Harris (maybe Suggs or Nix) are rated higher as a group, and I fully expect each to be drafted in due time.

bdmiller7
04-30-2019, 12:34 PM
just doubled checked and confirmed John Stockton was picked 16th in 1984 draft

interesting fact from the 84' draft

Dickau was 28th pick, 1st round, in 2002.

WallaWallaZag
04-30-2019, 04:28 PM
I disagree with this. It’s just the way the dice fell. If GU had gotten a five star guard like Collins or Sabonis, GU would have placed him in the first round as well.

but it's not "just the way the dice fell" -- it's because gonzaga has proven they can develop bigs to the nba...this trend really started with olynyk...he was basically unknown and became a lotto pick.

Bogozags
05-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Dickau was 28th pick, 1st round, in 2002.

As I stated, we are no longer Guard U...but we have become Big Man U...which I think is why we have four bigs coming in next season...Maybe Snacks can make a name for himself and GU as "THE" guard to make it to the NBA...

Am hoping Nix or Suggs decided this is as good a place as any to spend a couple of years

Zagdawg
06-07-2019, 07:29 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
Following Following @JonRothstein
More
Source: Stanford transfer Cormac Ryan is considering Butler, Davidson, Gonzaga, Marquette, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Penn, Texas, Villanova, Virginia, and Yale.

ZagsObserver
06-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Don’t have the scholarships if DT signs. If DT doesn’t sign, we’re in big trouble.

Kong-Kool-Aid
06-07-2019, 08:22 AM
We do now.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
Following Following @JonRothstein
More
Source: Stanford transfer Cormac Ryan is considering Butler, Davidson, Gonzaga, Marquette, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Penn, Texas, Villanova, Virginia, and Yale.

Played 28 mpg for Stanford as a true freshman. Surprised he is considering transferring.

http://https://www.ruleoftree.com/platform/amp/2019/6/5/18654703/cormac-ryan-enters-transfer-portal (https://www.ruleoftree.com/platform/amp/2019/6/5/18654703/cormac-ryan-enters-transfer-portal)

jazzdelmar
06-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Why would anybody leave Stanford? OK maybe for Yale.

Played 28 mpg for Stanford as a true freshman. Surprised he is considering transferring.

http://https://www.ruleoftree.com/platform/amp/2019/6/5/18654703/cormac-ryan-enters-transfer-portal (https://www.ruleoftree.com/platform/amp/2019/6/5/18654703/cormac-ryan-enters-transfer-portal)

sittingon50
06-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Why would anybody leave Stanford? OK maybe for Yale.

Yeah, he was getting plenty of PT. New Yorker, so maybe Yale & closer to home.