2. Villanova 191
3. Kentucky 182
4. Virginia 178
5. Duke 175
6. Kansas 173
7. UNC 171

CDC84
04-10-2019, 08:05 AM
Of course the automatic response will be that GU plays in the garbage WCC :( However, if you look at that list, you will notice that there are Big East and ACC schools. There is some real dead wood in those leagues (especially the ACC): Wake Forest, Boston College, Ga Tech, DePaul, Pitt, Georgetown, Providence, etc.

And, of course, Duke refuses to play any games outside the state of NC or New York City with the exception of the occasional holiday tournament and the Champions Classic. Every other year they go on the road for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. They don't always play one of the top teams in the Big 10 in that event either. They basically just sit at home and pile on cupcake wins during the non-league portion of their sked. Not saying the critic section is totally wrong , but as usual, they are likely to blow it out of proportion.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Of course the automatic response will be that GU plays in the garbage WCC :( However, if you look at that list, you will notice that there are Big East and ACC schools. There is some read dead wood in those leagues (especially the ACC): Wake Forest, Boston College, Ga Tech, DePaul, Pitt, Georgetown, Providence, etc.

And, of course, Duke refuses to play any games outside the state of NC or New York City with the exception of the occasional holiday tournament and the Champions Classic. Every other year they go on the road for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. They don't always play one of the top teams in the Big 10 in that event either. They basically just sit at home and pile on cupcake wins during the non-league portion of their sked. Not saying the critic section is totally wrong , but as usual, they are likely to blow it out of proportion.

Bottom of the WCC is beyond dead wood. Old Forest ....

LTownZag
04-10-2019, 08:56 AM
This list adjusted for strength of schedule would be a lot more meaningful.

I imagine UVA/Duke/UNC would have about the same (probably UNC the toughest)

Then Nova
Then KU

Then GU

jazzdelmar
04-10-2019, 09:09 AM
This list adjusted for strength of schedule would be a lot more meaningful.

I imagine UVA/Duke/UNC would have about the same (probably UNC the toughest)

Then Nova
Then KU

Then GU

Truth, dat. And I wd venture that GU's preseason cupcakes are sweeter than most.

LTownZag
04-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Truth, dat. And I wd venture that GU's preseason cupcakes are sweeter than most.

That would be pretty easy to look up on Kenpom or Bart Torvik, but why bother? For a top5-10 team in the nation, any of these early season cupcakes should be sure-thing wins. The difference between an opponent ranked 195 or 262 seems irrelevant.

One thing about Duke's early season, which I came across in reference to their fans claiming their loss to GU was just because it was early season:

Duke played a 3 travelling exhibition games against major universities in Canada, then Duke played 2 separate D-II schools in preseason, then had played 5 normal season DI games (2 against top20 teams) before meeting GU in Vegas. They'd probably played more basketball, done more traveling, and had a broader spectrum of opponents than any other team in the country at that point.

Bing
04-10-2019, 12:30 PM
That would be pretty easy to look up on Kenpom or Bart Torvik, but why bother? For a top5-10 team in the nation, any of these early season cupcakes should be sure-thing wins. The difference between an opponent ranked 195 or 262 seems irrelevant.

One thing about Duke's early season, which I came across in reference to their fans claiming their loss to GU was just because it was early season:

Duke played a 3 travelling exhibition games against major universities in Canada, then Duke played 2 separate D-II schools in preseason, then had played 5 normal season DI games (2 against top20 teams) before meeting GU in Vegas. They'd probably played more basketball, done more traveling, and had a broader spectrum of opponents than any other team in the country at that point.

Zags beat Duke in Maui ... not in Vegas.

CDC84
04-10-2019, 12:56 PM
Bottom of the WCC is beyond dead wood. Old Forest ....

True, but dead wood is just dead. It's still a win. Duke might beat Wake Forest by 30 while we'll beat Pepperdine by 40.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2019, 01:09 PM
True, but dead wood is just dead. It's still a win. Duke might beat Wake Forest by 30 while we'll beat Pepperdine by 40.

You're comparing Wake w Pep? Please, Ceed, not even close.

LongIslandZagFan
04-10-2019, 01:10 PM

You are right... Pepperdine last season would have walked all over Wake.

CDC84
04-10-2019, 01:28 PM

Your missing the point Jazz. This discussion is about win totals. No matter if Wake Forest is better than Pepperdine, Duke is going to blast them. If Pepperdine were in the ACC, Duke would blast them even more. Agreed. But a win is still a win. My point is that the elite ACC teams have dead wood in their league.....a certain percentage of teams that they can count on blasting every year. It's why I feel that conference is overhyped compared to a league like the Big 10 - especially this year - where even teams like Rutgers and Penn State can inflict damage or severely challenge top league contenders. Wake, BC....they have no chance against a Duke most years. Wake is done as a program. They are not what they were. The inclusion of teams like Louisville and Syracuse into the league has rendered them irrelevant.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2019, 01:30 PM
You are right... Pepperdine last season would have walked all over Wake.

Big picture Guyland. Last 5 years not close.

CDC84
04-10-2019, 01:36 PM
The ACC just has too many teams. They also have teams that are in the league despite having no geographical relationship to the conference. Pitt's move to the ACC may have been motivated by football, but it killed their basketball program. It will never be the same. The city of Pittsburgh has horrible prep talent, and so Howland and Dixon had to develop unique strategies for building the team. One was using the New York/New Jersey area as a recruiting zone, with promises to recruits of being able to play every year in the Garden for the Big East tourney. Now that program has nothing to sell prep players. It's made them incapable of competing against even a team like Gonzaga, much less giants like UNC and Duke.

LTownZag
04-10-2019, 02:50 PM
The ACC is 15 teams, which is the biggest conference. It basically had 4 tiers: Elite(3), Good(3), OK(3), Terrible (6)

This year it featured 3 top-8 teams (and 3 teams with 1 seeds): UNC/Duke/UVA

Then 3 good teams ranked 13-25th: FSU, V Tech, Louisville

The bottom 6 (40% of the conference) were very "middle of the WCC-like" (#174, #127, #115, #101, #97, #75)

For comparison: BYU, USD, LMU, Pepperdine were: 86, 90, 134, 151

There was a 5-game stretch in the middle of their conference season this year when Duke played: Pitt/G-Tech/Notre Dame/St Johns/Boston College. That stretch was more than a quarter of their regular season ACC play.

Opponents were ranked: 101/115/97/127/88.

maynard g krebs
04-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Here's a list of some NCAA tourney records for the last 7 seasons from an article on the Oregon board. Written before final 4, I think, so UVA not incl. here.

Team--------------Appearances------------- Record----------- Avg seed
Duke--------------7---------------------------18-6--------------2.1
N Carolina---------7----------------------------18-6-------------3.3
Kentucky----------6----------------------------18-6-------------3.7
Michigan----------6----------------------------17-6--------------4.8
GU----------------7----------------------------17-7-------------4.0
Nova--------------7----------------------------16-5-------------3.1
Michigan State----7----------------------------15-6--------------4.3
Kansas------------7----------------------------15-7--------------1.7
Oregon------------6----------------------------13-6....................7.2

Reborn
04-10-2019, 04:13 PM
In the last seven years, Gonzaga is #1 in the West; and that's the most important thing to me.

Go Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
04-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Honestly , JMHO, this thread isn’t radically different than the usual comments about GU/WCC/SOS. Regardless of competition level... why has no other small conference team done the same?

Shooter
04-10-2019, 10:57 PM
4 of the 7 have won 5 out of the last 6 National Championships. And the Zags aren't one of the 4 to have won it. And that's what should really matter.

gonzagafan62
04-11-2019, 04:47 AM
4 of the 7 have won 5 out of the last 6 National Championships. And the Zags aren't one of the 4 to have won it. And that's what should really matter.

While winning a title is what I want, it ain’t “what really matters” ... a crapshoot tourney will never be that way for me

willandi
04-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Not related, but how many of those teams in those games have had an opposing player make a play on the ball while being out of bounds...and not had that called?

BoZarth
04-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Not related, but how many of those teams in those games have had an opposing player make a play on the ball while being out of bounds...and not had that called?

Yes!