PDA

View Full Version : One Zion (Shining) Moment

CB4
04-08-2019, 09:24 PM
I've never shared the hate that some of my fellow GUBoards fanatics have towards Zion, Duke, Coach K. Tonight something happenend that I can't let slip. Zion Williamson, God Bless Him, had more highlights on One Shining Moment than half the field combined. ESPN is a hype machine, CBS needs ratings, analysts and pundits need something to talk about - I get that. By the time One Shining Moment is screened, all the selling is done. There's no benefit to the networks to hype anything. Those of us who tuned in deserve to be rewarded with the best plays, emotional moments, sports drama, and passion that is supposed to be embodied in One Shining Moment. Instead, we get seven or eight shots of Zion and very little screen time for the rest of the field.

All I can say is that it was shameful. Rant over.

CDC84
04-08-2019, 09:26 PM
You're not alone. What's sad is that by all accounts, the guy is a nice kid and devoid of a massive ego. But the media just takes these things too far without ever considering that they may be causing a backlash against the kid.

webspinnre
04-08-2019, 09:30 PM
You're not alone. What's sad is that by all accounts, the guy is a nice kid and devoid of a massive ego. But the media just takes these things too far without ever considering that they may be causing a backlash against the kid.

Yep - there's all this backlash against Zion, and it's not remotely his fault. Seems like a good kid.

Reborn
04-08-2019, 09:55 PM
I didn't even bother to wait to watch it 'cause I knew it would be all about Zion and Duke. I mean wasn't that ALL WE HEARD this season on ESPN? I'm so G L A D they weren't in the Final 4. After the game when it was time for Barkley and the crew to analyze the game, the CBS main host said something like, even though we didn't get to see the teams that we wanted to it was a really good game. And OMG did Charles Barkley ever give it to him. Barkley went on a five minute rave about the teams who make it to the Finals are the teams deserve to be there. He talked a lot about the beauty of sports and how it's a rare thing because it is R E A L. Something like that. It's a very poor paraphrase, but I loved what Barkley had to say, as usual.

Good luck to Zion. I understand it isn't his fault, but imo, he's not the player that the media made him out to be (Superman). This fact was evident in the tournament. And neither were the SUPER FRESHMEN, which ESPN wanted those four players to be because they wanted them to be as good as those FAB FIVE freshmen who played for Michigan.

MDABE80
04-08-2019, 10:21 PM
ESPN making its own market. It began before Zion had put one foot on the court way last Summer. ESPN can pretty much do what it wants since there's no FDA for the media. I'll admit, it's unfair and it's ignoring the rest of the colleges that make the entire "rest of the system" work properly. This is the most flagrant I've seen.

GrizZAG
04-08-2019, 10:23 PM
We might have our own Zion next year :)

Malastein
04-09-2019, 02:45 AM

Who’s that?

Therunner
04-09-2019, 03:23 AM

Huh?

Not even in the same strastosphere with current recruits. We have some future talented kids coming in, and I'm not huge fan, but I recognize his otherworldy, once in a century type of talent...esp at the college lvl.

Unless Brandon Clarke miraculously returns (not happening), we don't have anyone like that kid.

gonzagafan62
04-09-2019, 04:33 AM
Whos that?

Really? Lol

zagamatic
04-09-2019, 04:40 AM
I'm only happy about one single solitary thing about the season being over. ......Zion is the NBA's problem now. And honestly, yeah the kid can jump pretty high, but just about any D-1 athlete can look that good when you're allowed to go through your adversary as much as he was. I honestly don't think that there was a game of his that I watched where he didn't commit AT LEAST 25 FOULS, and those were the obvious ones. Goodbye Zion, you won't be missed by this fan because you embody everything that is currently wrong with sports in general. Though I will acknowledge that most reports say that you're a nice guy off the court.

Birddog
04-09-2019, 05:30 AM
Don't you boys and girls know your biblical history? Zion is the promised land, the land of milk and honey. ESPN, CBS, et al were not about to ignore the fact.

TexasZagFan
04-09-2019, 05:39 AM
Don't you boys and girls know your biblical history? Zion is the promised land, the land of milk and honey. ESPN, CBS, et al were not about to ignore the fact.

Which shoe company will land Zion? There won't be enough money to pay anyone else after Zion signs.

IMO, Rui will end up being in the top 5 in endorsement money for rookies. Japan is a huge market, and the 2020 Olympics is going to be played in Rui's backyard.

Looking further out, are the Zags the go to program for Asian talent? The development of Rui is a textbook lesson to all.

Ladyzag12
04-09-2019, 05:40 AM
I'm only happy about one single solitary thing about the season being over. ......Zion is the NBA's problem now. And honestly, yeah the kid can jump pretty high, but just about any D-1 athlete can look that good when you're allowed to go through your adversary as much as he was. I honestly don't think that there was a game of his that I watched where he didn't commit AT LEAST 25 FOULS, and those were the obvious ones. Goodbye Zion, you won't be missed by this fan because you embody everything that is currently wrong with sports in general. Though I will acknowledge that most reports say that you're a nice guy off the court.

One of the most out of touch posts I have ever read.

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2019, 06:15 AM
Which shoe company will land Zion? There won't be enough money to pay anyone else after Zion signs.

IMO, Rui will end up being in the top 5 in endorsement money for rookies. Japan is a huge market, and the 2020 Olympics is going to be played in Rui's backyard.

Looking further out, are the Zags the go to program for Asian talent? The development of Rui is a textbook lesson to all.

Nike... the one that has been paying him all along.

77Zag
04-09-2019, 07:04 AM
Zion is an incredible talent ... we will see how the NBA treats him.

Zags beat Duke to win Maui

Zags and Duke advanced equally as far in the Madness

Ezag
04-09-2019, 07:04 AM
Zion is a 285lb freakishly athletic kid with a unbelievable 42 PER. He is humble in interviews and good kid from a good background. It's not his fault ESPN dotes on him like a new born baby. Whether he is actually the "next Lebron" or 2nd coming of "whatever" remains to be seen but I think he was good for 1 year of college basketball. The Maui win wouldn't have been what it was without a win over Zion and Duke.

webspinnre
04-09-2019, 07:15 AM

:000tens:

ZagNut08
04-09-2019, 07:51 AM
Can't blame CBS, it's normal to highlight the national champion's star player.

zagcheer78
04-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Can't blame CBS, it's normal to highlight the national champion's star player.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
Guess CBS produced the show a few weeks back and did not want to re do it.

ConnZag3
04-09-2019, 09:24 AM
I was at the game and watched One Shining Moment from the stadium and the first thing I texted my buddy after was "did I really just see Zion 7 times in One Shining Moment? You'd think Duke actually played 6 games..."

CB4
04-09-2019, 09:27 AM
For anyone who missed it last night, here's you go, One Zion Moment :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oeVclMjiKQ

Bogozags
04-09-2019, 09:34 AM

It's a shame they didn't show his "domination" of the Zags in Maui..

CDC84
04-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Whichever shoe company Zion signs with......will he take less money if the company can guarantee that the shoe won't break on him in the middle of a play?

therocket
04-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Agreed. That and all these post disparaging Zion are embarrassing. Kids a stud. Hes fun to watch and a great player. And, something I think a lot of the older posters dont get is that the KIDS love him! Hes great for the game.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Serious question, if Koach went out in the first w/e, a la Lehigh, would there be any fewer Zion-lovegrams on the video?

CDC84
04-09-2019, 10:45 AM
"One Shining Wallet"
Written By: Anonymous

The ball is tipped
But the deal has been signed
I've been running your life
Since the age of nine
And all those years
I sure did know
Just how hard you worked
Because in my wallet it shows

One shining wallet, the money and the good times
One shining wallet, your draft spot frozen in time

But time is short
And the money road is long
In the blinking of an eye
With your eligibility gone
And when the NCAA guys are done
Win or lose
You always did your best
Cuz my bank account grew

One shining wallet, you kept it all inside
One shining wallet, that shoe deal's still alive

Feel the beat of your shopping cart
Feel the cash thrown at your face
It's more than a contest
It makes more than a horse race

And when it's done
Win or lose
You always did your best
Cuz my bank account grew

One shining wallet, you reached for cash in the sky
One shining wallet, you knew
One shining wallet, you were willing to try
One shining wallet, a flea sucking scum of a guy
And now all your money
Now and forever, is all........mine...........

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Agreed. That and all these post disparaging Zion are embarrassing. Kids a stud. He’s fun to watch and a great player. And, something I think a lot of the older posters don’t get is that the KIDS love him! He’s great for the game.

There is a difference between disparaging and having an honest assessment of a player's ability. Note, just about everyone on this thread complimented the kid... said what a good kid he is and how it isn't his fault he has been hyped to death. I was never on the Zion train, I expect him to have a NBA career, I don't think he is going to be a superstar... just my assessment of his game... and my opinion. That isn't an attack on the kid. He won't be a bust, but my gut says he'll not live up to the #1 pick he'll end up as. He'll make money, he'll have a good career. More power to him. I have said on other threads what I see as shortcomings in his game, some former pros have said much the same thing I have said. I wish him nothing but the best. For his sake... he better hope he doesn't end up with the Knicks... that is the most craptastically run organization... this is coming from a Knicks fan.

TexasZagFan
04-09-2019, 01:07 PM
There is a difference between disparaging and having an honest assessment of a player's ability. Note, just about everyone on this thread complimented the kid... said what a good kid he is and how it isn't his fault he has been hyped to death. I was never on the Zion train, I expect him to have a NBA career, I don't think he is going to be a superstar... just my assessment of his game... and my opinion. That isn't an attack on the kid. He won't be a bust, but my gut says he'll not live up to the #1 pick he'll end up as. He'll make money, he'll have a good career. More power to him. I have said on other threads what I see as shortcomings in his game, some former pros have said much the same thing I have said. I wish him nothing but the best. For his sake... he better hope he doesn't end up with the Knicks... that is the most craptastically run organization... this is coming from a Knicks fan.

So, who do you want the Knicks to pick?

Dallas may be in the running for the 4th pick, and there was a discussion on 105.3 The Fan this morning. Nathan and I were listening to it on the drive to school, we agreed that the hosts had no idea what they were talking about. It was embarrassing...they talk for hours everyday about the Cowboys, but spend more time on WWE and MMA than they do on the Stars or Mavericks. Because they hadn't done any research on the upcoming NBA draft, they just assumed that this year's draft is weak.

The question for the Mavs is which pieces do they add to complement Doncic and Porzingis? You don't need a point guard, because that's technically filled by Luka. I'd be looking for a shooting guard and a defensive minded center, depending on who they go for in free agency.

BTW, tonight is potentially Dirk's last home game. He may play one more year, but that's up to him. He's earned it.

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2019, 01:15 PM
So, who do you want the Knicks to pick?

Dallas may be in the running for the 4th pick, and there was a discussion on 105.3 The Fan this morning. Nathan and I were listening to it on the drive to school, we agreed that the hosts had no idea what they were talking about. It was embarrassing...they talk for hours everyday about the Cowboys, but spend more time on WWE and MMA than they do on the Stars or Mavericks. Because they hadn't done any research on the upcoming NBA draft, they just assumed that this year's draft is weak.

The question for the Mavs is which pieces do they add to complement Doncic and Porzingis? You don't need a point guard, because that's technically filled by Luka. I'd be looking for a shooting guard and a defensive minded center, depending on who they go for in free agency.

BTW, tonight is potentially Dirk's last home game. He may play one more year, but that's up to him. He's earned it.

Not Zion, because I don't think an undersized PF will help the Knicks. Not Rui or BC because I wouldn't wish the Knicks on them. I think they need a hybrid big... ala Porzingis... just not really anyone on the docket that is worthy of a #1-#5 pick. So that being said, RJ or maybe Ja as a backup PG.

TexasZagFan
04-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Not Zion, because I don't think an undersized PF will help the Knicks. Not Rui or BC because I wouldn't wish the Knicks on them. I think they need a hybrid big... ala Porzingis... just not really anyone on the docket that is worthy of a #1-#5 pick. So that being said, RJ or maybe Ja as a backup PG.

Which FA do you expect the Knicks to land? I just don't see Durant leaving the West Coast, he'd be destroyed by the NY media and fans.

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Which FA do you expect the Knicks to land? I just don't see Durant leaving the West Coast, he'd be destroyed by the NY media and fans.

I don't see any GOOD free agent wanting to work for Little Prince Jimmy Dolan. I know I wouldn't. Sorry for the name calling but that man is horrid. He lives about 5 miles away from me... he has a car service take him to a local airport in Farmingdale, NY nearly every morning where he boards a private helicopter to take him to Woodbury, NY. Why do I bring this up??? Because, the distance by car between the two places is 10 miles... he gets on a bleeping helicopter to travel less than 10 miles as the crow flies. JMHO that is some seriously obnoxious peacock showing its feathers crap. Ugh... now you got me all worked up... I despise that man.

Birddog
04-09-2019, 02:09 PM
I don't see any GOOD free agent wanting to work for Little Prince Jimmy Dolan. I know I wouldn't. Sorry for the name calling but that man is horrid. He lives about 5 miles away from me... he has a car service take him to a local airport in Farmingdale, NY nearly every morning where he boards a private helicopter to take him to Woodbury, NY. Why do I bring this up??? Because, the distance by car between the two places is 10 miles... he gets on a bleeping helicopter to travel less than 10 miles as the crow flies. JMHO that is some seriously obnoxious peacock showing its feathers crap. Ugh... now you got me all worked up... I despise that man.

A good friend of mine who is an NTSB investigator told me that the only time I should ride in a helicopter is when I'm being Med Evac'ed.

JPtheBeasta
04-09-2019, 02:44 PM
I’m just glad Zion isn’t one of Lorenzo Ball’s kids.

sittingon50
04-09-2019, 02:45 PM
A good friend of mine who is an NTSB investigator told me that the only time I should ride in a helicopter is when I'm being Med Evac'ed.

:roll:

Well Bird, for your sake, I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon!!

:lmao:

229SintoZag
04-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Serious question, if Koach went out in the first w/e, a la Lehigh, would there be any fewer Zion-lovegrams on the video?

I love this annual ritual on the board. No season truly ends for me until the board, and in particular Jazz, gets a chance to weigh in on "One Shining Moment" in true cranky get-off-my-lawn fashion.

We have this discussion every year. I love it.

Remind me: Have we ever been happy with it? Did CBS ever get it "right?"

I find this discussion to be truly five star entertainment.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2019, 06:35 PM
I love this annual ritual on the board. No season truly ends for me until the board, and in particular Jazz, gets a chance to weigh in on "One Shining Moment" in true cranky get-off-my-lawn fashion.

We have this discussion every year. I love it.

Remind me: Have we ever been happy with it? Did CBS ever get it "right?"

I find this discussion to be truly five star entertainment.

No and no. Bring back the man who actually wrote the song. Not Teddy Pendergrass or any other butcher. That’s a start.

ZagaZags
04-09-2019, 10:43 PM

Fixed it for you.

ZagaZags
04-09-2019, 10:47 PM
Here is the real one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-StFgLyaI

229SintoZag
04-09-2019, 11:02 PM
No and no. Bring back the man who actually wrote the song. Not Teddy Pendergrass or any other butcher. Thats a start.

Wait ... what? Teddy didn't write it?

Bogozags
04-10-2019, 03:16 AM
Agreed. That and all these post disparaging Zion are embarrassing. Kids a stud. Hes fun to watch and a great player. And, something I think a lot of the older posters dont get is that the KIDS love him! Hes great for the game.

I agree, he is probably the best college bball player in many years but I just get tired of Zion this and Zion that and Duke this and Duke that...

I have little doubt that he is a really nice person, humble and caring too but it is just all this hype just to sell shoes and other products...it is just the media/advertisers of which I am just tired.

I do wish him well and hope he has a long and illustrious career...I just wish we could have played him one more time...

jazzdelmar
04-10-2019, 04:19 AM
Wait ... what? Teddy didn't write it?

No, and he and Vandross have butchered the song for years. Listen to Barret’s version. More authentic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Shining_Moment

Here’s one from 1999 that will make your heart soar. Does me every time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQMIXGDyx4

The original version recorded by Barrett was used from 1987 to 1993, and briefly revived between 2000 and 2002 with a new instrumental. Versions recorded by Teddy Pendergrass (1994–1999), Luther Vandross (2003–2009, since 2011), and Ne-Yo (2016) have also been used; Vandross' version is believed to be the last song he recorded before his stroke and subsequent death.[2]

A version by Jennifer Hudson was used for the 2010 edition; the format of the Hudson video deviated from prior years by cutting away from the tournament highlight montage on several occasions to show footage of Hudson singing in a recording studio, drawing criticism from some fans and viewers.[9][10][11] In response to the criticism, the Vandross version was restored the following year.[12][13]

Birddog
04-10-2019, 05:02 AM
I 100% agree Jazz, but you can't go home again. Thanks for the memories.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2019, 05:10 AM
I 100% agree Jazz, but you can't go home again. Thanks for the memories.

Na, I do all the time. Non-stop, American, SAN to JFK.

zagamatic
04-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Keep in mind that when I say that Zion embodies everything I hate about sports, I mean that I'm sick and tired of the same rules not applying to "special players on special teams ". I'm not saying that he's not a great athlete or even that he's not a likable guy. I'm saying that if you were to compare the way that he was treated by the refs to say someone like Karnowski, the same rules clearly don't apply. Karnowski got whistled for more fouls that weren't even close to fouls than anyone else I can think of just because he was bigger and stronger than everyone else. Zion, on the other hand, who is also bigger and stronger, was allowed to go through people illegally at a higher rate than anyone else I've ever seen. (Keep in mind that I refuse to watch the NBA for much the same reason of special rules for special people. Those of you who do watch the NBA may not see a foul as being a foul that I do)

Hoopaholic
04-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Keep in mind that when I say that Zion embodies everything I hate about sports, I mean that I'm sick and tired of the same rules not applying to "special players on special teams ". I'm not saying that he's not a great athlete or even that he's not a likable guy. I'm saying that if you were to compare the way that he was treated by the refs to say someone like Karnowski, the same rules clearly don't apply. Karnowski got whistled for more fouls that weren't even close to fouls than anyone else I can think of just because he was bigger and stronger than everyone else. Zion, on the other hand, who is also bigger and stronger, was allowed to go through people illegally at a higher rate than anyone else I've ever seen. (Keep in mind that I refuse to watch the NBA for much the same reason of special rules for special people. Those of you who do watch the NBA may not see a foul as being a foul that I do)

is that you hoopaholic in disguise......exactly how I see this and completely agree

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-10-2019, 01:16 PM

I used to love riding in Army helicopters, until my brigade had two crash landings during a three-day training exercise. My neighbor, a pilot, crash landed another bird just a few weeks later. Miraculously, there were no fatalities in any of those incidents.

I started to doubt that flying in multi-million dollar aircraft maintained by nineteen year-old privates was something I should do, unless my job really required it.

CDC84
04-10-2019, 02:45 PM

The other issue is that Karnowski absorbed more fouls that were never called than we'll never know. Just because he was big. I will never forget Leon Rice complaining on radio that one of the problems they had with JP Batista were refs refusing to call fouls that would've been called if he were 220lbs. The refs treated it like it was incidental contact. It particularly pissed off the staff because unlike poor Karno, JP Batista was a magnificient foul shooter. I'd bet that well over 100 points were kept off the scoreboard during Batista's 2 year reign......just because he was big.

I sure saw Zion on the line a lot more than Karno and Batista for the same kind of fouls.

Birddog
04-10-2019, 05:26 PM
Then there is this angle, I wanna puke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Block or charge? Zion and his importance makes each call a tough one for officials

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article228633674.html

webspinnre
04-11-2019, 07:44 AM
No, and he and Vandross have butchered the song for years. Listen to Barret’s version. More authentic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Shining_Moment

Here’s one from 1999 that will make your heart soar. Does me every time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQMIXGDyx4

The original version recorded by Barrett was used from 1987 to 1993, and briefly revived between 2000 and 2002 with a new instrumental. Versions recorded by Teddy Pendergrass (1994–1999), Luther Vandross (2003–2009, since 2011), and Ne-Yo (2016) have also been used; Vandross' version is believed to be the last song he recorded before his stroke and subsequent death.[2]

A version by Jennifer Hudson was used for the 2010 edition; the format of the Hudson video deviated from prior years by cutting away from the tournament highlight montage on several occasions to show footage of Hudson singing in a recording studio, drawing criticism from some fans and viewers.[9][10][11] In response to the criticism, the Vandross version was restored the following year.[12][13]

Thanks, I do like that better. Brighter.

maynard g krebs
04-11-2019, 03:47 PM

My brother says it succinctly: "It's moneyball".

zagamatic
04-13-2019, 08:00 AM
is that you hoopaholic in disguise......exactly how I see this and completely agree

Nope, not hoopaholic. This is my one and only name on here

GrizZAG
04-13-2019, 08:09 AM
Whos that?

I'm bettin on Ballo. Might take a year or two but the guy is a beast.

DixieZag
04-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Pilot friend of mine flies both professionally, I asked which he prefers: "Planes. Because by design a plane is built to want to fly, a helicopter is built to want to crash."