PDA

View Full Version : Way too early rankings for 2019-2020

MDABE80
04-08-2019, 11:58 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/college-basketball-rankings-sporting-news-way-too-early-top-25-for-2019-20/ar-BBVHTEL?li=BBnb4R7

Lower that I thought but still when new PG shows up and Tillie stays (hopefully) we'll do a bit better in the preseason polls. Loss of 2 AA's is bound to hurt. The other ranking services will soo release their outlooks for the upcoming season. Our recruits really do look sensational.

strikenowhere
04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/college-basketball-rankings-sporting-news-way-too-early-top-25-for-2019-20/ar-BBVHTEL?li=BBnb4R7

Lower that I thought but still when new PG shows up and Tillie stays (hopefully) we'll do a bit better in the preseason polls. Loss of 2 AA's is bound to hurt. The other ranking services will soo release their outlooks for the upcoming season. Our recruits really do look sensational.

Low? I'd go the other direction and say I'm surprised we're in the top 25. If Tillie leaves they should definitely be out of the top 25 to start the season; just too many fresh faces (freshmen or grad transfers).

maynard g krebs
04-08-2019, 12:39 PM
NBC Sports has Zags 5th, projecting Norvell and Tillie returning. Projected starters Ravet, Norvell, Kispert, Tillie, Petrusev.

MDABE80
04-08-2019, 12:46 PM
NBC Sports has Zags 5th, projecting Norvell and Tillie returning. Projected starters Ravet, Norvell, Kispert, Tillie, Petrusev.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/04/08/college-basketball-2019-2020-preseason-top-25/ true enough Maynard!

gonzagafan62
04-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Anything in top 25 is a gift

strikenowhere
04-08-2019, 12:57 PM

This is a ridiculous ranking

GonzaGAW
04-08-2019, 01:52 PM
- sure the rankings might be ridiculous.......that's why they call it a way too early top 25, too many unknowns
- biggest unknowns for the zags are 1. does Tillie come back, and 2. who will be our grad transfer point guard?

- if the unknowns fall good for the zags, I think a top 10 ranking would be most reasonable
- if Tillie does not come back, I still think a top 20 ranking is not unreasonable.

- I'm not worried about next year, we will be alright, we will be good, I fully expect another sweet sixteen.

VinnyZag
04-08-2019, 01:53 PM
The Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-sporting-news-way-too-early-top-25-for-2019-20/1oplcsov8ioxf18ydgei068fyp) has GU 20th, with Tillie gone. That seems high to me, but who knows.

Edited: Sorry, this is the same ranking as the original post, just from TSN's actual site instead of MSN.

jazzdelmar
04-08-2019, 02:15 PM

That’s ludicrous with that lineup.

DixieZag
04-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Seems to me we could lose close to everyone and so long as the average class is coming in and we have reserves from the year before, we should start at least between 15-25 based upon stability as a program over decades.

I am honestly excited about next year. So many unknowns, so much potential.

We need an upperclassmen PG.

As soon as we get one of those, it'll be even more exciting. Hope we get one.

CDC84
04-08-2019, 02:27 PM
I can tell you that MD HATES doing these ridiculously too early preseason rankings (and they seem to keep coming out earlier and earlier each year) for The Sporting News, but even a Basketball Hall of Fame writer takes orders from a boss. If he had a choice not to do them, he wouldn't.

Gonzdb8
04-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Anything in top 25 is a gift

not really a gift. i think we've earned the benefit of the doubt. also not like there are a bunch of teams behind us that are more deserving of a top 25 ranking.

MickMick
04-08-2019, 03:16 PM
Ballo takes the world by storm. A man child.

NotoriousZ
04-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Timme and Watson...double boom!

Hoopaholic
04-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Seems to me we could lose close to everyone and so long as the average class is coming in and we have reserves from the year before, we should start at least between 15-25 based upon stability as a program over decades.

I am honestly excited about next year. So many unknowns, so much potential.

We need an upperclassmen PG.

As soon as we get one of those, it'll be even more exciting. Hope we get one.

Seems to me Virginia with a freshman PG doing ok

MDABE80
04-08-2019, 08:12 PM
To me everything’s in place except the guard situation. Tons of talent to be developed. We get. Great PG and a strong reserve guard and were on our way!! Huge stable of talented bigs.

VinnyZag
04-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Seems to me Virginia with a freshman PG doing ok

Virginia effectively started 3 PGs this year. Nice luxury to have.

CDC84
04-08-2019, 09:03 PM
Virginia effectively started 3 PGs this year. Nice luxury to have.

Gonzaga is not likely going to take a freshman PG because they have an ELITE one coming in 2020's Dominick Harris. The recruiting plan, at this point, is to combine Harris with Jalen Suggs at shooting guard and Julian Strawther as a 6-7 small forward. Daishen Nix is also an option if Suggs chooses football. That is the 2020 plan as I know it. Both Harris and Suggs are really kind of combo guards, but GU is not going to waste its time going after some unsigned spring McDonald's AA type who is bound to go to Kansas, Kentucky or one of the blue blood teams. Spring recruits are like trying to find a used Beatles CD in a record store. The plan is to "rent-a-grad-transfer" for one year until Harris gets here. Contrary to that NY Times report, NCAA Prez Mark Emmert is not in favor of changing the current grad transfer rules.

MDABE80
04-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Plan is sound. Still though a PG or two sounds like a superior investment...till we get to the Dom and Suggs era. Although some might poo poo Brock, he can pass and shoot like a demon.

zagsfanforlife
04-08-2019, 09:24 PM
ESPN has us #8 to start, counting on Clarke and Rui to go and Tillie to come back. Predict a breakout season for Petrusev

CDC84
04-08-2019, 09:31 PM
I'm telling you, when Tillie came back, people forgot about Filip. He had a very good game vs. Duke. This was a kid that played for the best high school team in the nation, and was offered by blue bloods and numerous other big time schools. They do need to straighten out his defense, but the staff proved they could do that with the work they did with Norvell.

jayray
04-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Plan is sound. Still though a PG or two sounds like a superior investment...till we get to the Dom and Suggs era. Although some might poo poo Brock, he can pass and shoot like a demon.

I was just watching some video of him. It looks like his defense could use some work. He looks pretty small. Is he going to play you think as a freshman? Are Foster and Ayai good enough to play?

CDC84
04-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Are Foster and Ayai good enough to play?

I do not know how others feel, but I have seen nothing at this point. It's possible if Foster sticks with it he might be good as an upperclassman, but only in a backup capacity. I think that some of Dom Harris' problems just simply have to do with the fact that up until January 2019, he basically could do anything he wished on the basketball floor. He is by FAR AND AWAY the greatest prep b-ball player in the history of southern Orange County. I know so because I grew up there. It's not a very good place for basketball, which is why he had to move to Rancho Christian. I secretly hope he still lists his hometown as Newport Beach. All of the physical capabilities are there. Great athleticism and lateral quickness. Cares about defense. Not sure what his length is. But yes, the ideal situation, I suppose, would be to have an upperclassman PG alongside him. Especially in practice.

zagsfanforlife
04-09-2019, 06:42 AM
Seth Davis, Jeff Goodman and Jeff Borzello of the athletic, stadium and espn respectively all have the zags in their top 8, as high as 5. All assume Clarke and rui go. And that Tillie returns. Maybe we are underestimating our chances for next year? The top teams as mentioned do not return a lot of guys.

krozman
04-09-2019, 06:44 AM
I think some of these people are recognizing the pattern we've followed in many of the last 20 years whereby we would always be starting somewhere in the mid teens to early twenties and be ranked in the top 5 by the end of the non-conference. Apparently some people think the old way and some have caught on.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2019, 06:45 AM
I was just watching some video of him. It looks like his defense could use some work. He looks pretty small. Is he going to play you think as a freshman? Are Foster and Ayai good enough to play?

No.

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2019, 06:46 AM
Think 5 is way too high... That and the lineup seems totally unrealistic too. JMHO... I think the idea of both Watson and Timme on the bench with Ravet starting is a stretch. My gut says Timme will earn his way into the starting 5 early in the season and will never relinquish it.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2019, 06:48 AM
5. Gonzaga

Clarke is a close call, but for now I’ll lean towards expecting him to turn pro. Even if he does, as long as Norvell and Tillie return, the Zags should not fall off at all. I expect Petrusev to take a huge step forward, and Mark Few is bringing in a six-man freshman class that is ranked No. 5 in the country by 247sports.

OntZags
04-09-2019, 06:54 AM
5. Gonzaga

Clarke is a close call, but for now I’ll lean towards expecting him to turn pro. Even if he does, as long as Norvell and Tillie return, the Zags should not fall off at all. I expect Petrusev to take a huge step forward, and Mark Few is bringing in a six-man freshman class that is ranked No. 5 in the country by 247sports.

Clarke is gone. We can stop thinking about that possibility.

willandi
04-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Clarke is gone. We can stop thinking about that possibility.

Would YOU choose to make MILLIONS of dollars, or come back for another College season and a chance at a NC?

I would be gone in a Spokane minute!

Zagger
04-09-2019, 07:15 AM

Might be a stretch ..... but what’s stopping any of these players being better players by Fall? We’ve seen amazing improvements in Zag guys season to season. Are the Zags, regardless of who’s on the roster, going to be in the top 25? I’d say so. Will they make a 6th in a row Sweet 16? I’d bet on that too. Whether they are #5 it’s my opinion that it will take noticeable improvement by Corey, Zach and Filip along with a fully functional Tillie. The possibilities of that to me are not ludicrous. However, ranking teams this early for next season is a fool’s folly :)

MDABE80
04-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Would YOU choose to make MILLIONS of dollars, or come back for another College season and a chance at a NC?

I would be gone in a Spokane minute!
If he became POY and received the Zion type outcome, would it matter? I do think that may be in order now thT the media has discovered Brandon. Just a few bought and more of a question. Insurance included.

bartruff1
04-09-2019, 10:04 AM
If he became POY and received the Zion type outcome, would it matter? I do think that may be in order now thT the media has discovered Brandon. Just a few bought and more of a question. Insurance included.

Doc...you make that argument every year....bless you....but to my knowledge it has never been realized.....a triumph of hope over experience.....:)

jazzdelmar
04-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Might be a stretch ..... but what’s stopping any of these players being better players by Fall? We’ve seen amazing improvements in Zag guys season to season. Are the Zags, regardless of who’s on the roster, going to be in the top 25? I’d say so. Will they make a 6th in a row Sweet 16? I’d bet on that too. Whether they are #5 it’s my opinion that it will take noticeable improvement by Corey, Zach and Filip along with a fully functional Tillie. The possibilities of that to me are not ludicrous. However, ranking teams this early for next season is a fool’s folly :)

The 3 players leaving are much better than the 3 players coming back. And the kids are ??????s.

SanDiegoZag
04-09-2019, 10:20 AM
I do not know how others feel, but I have seen nothing at this point. It's possible if Foster sticks with it he might be good as an upperclassman, but only in a backup capacity. I think that some of Dom Harris' problems just simply have to do with the fact that up until January 2019, he basically could do anything he wished on the basketball floor. He is by FAR AND AWAY the greatest prep b-ball player in the history of southern Orange County. I know so because I grew up there. It's not a very good place for basketball, which is why he had to move to Rancho Christian. I secretly hope he still lists his hometown as Newport Beach. All of the physical capabilities are there. Great athleticism and lateral quickness. Cares about defense. Not sure what his length is. But yes, the ideal situation, I suppose, would be to have an upperclassman PG alongside him. Especially in practice.

Far and away better than Klay Thompson?!? Overall though, you are right...Orange County is not a hoops hotbed. I have been in the OC for the last 12 years, with the most recent 6 in Eastside Costa Mesa. Feel confident we will be here for life now.

Speaking of the OC, maybe UCI's Max Hazzard is the answer for the Zags at PG? At this point, not sure how many grad transfer PG's will be more talented than Hazzard. I'm not sure if Pritchard at Oregon or Merrill at Utah St will pursue that transfer route or not. They seem like they maybe happy to stay at their respective schools, given the high expectations with both of those programs next year.

VinnyZag
04-09-2019, 10:52 AM
GU is a 3 seed (playing in Spokane!) in Joe Lunardi's first 2020 Bracketology (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology).

MDABE80
04-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Doc...you make that argument every year....bless you....but to my knowledge it has never been realized.....a triumph of hope over experience.....:)

I asked a question. Bless your lil heart Bart. Would it matter to the player if he got all kinds of awards if he stayed for his senior year. Most who stay for another year say it was worth it. Worth is then defined as 1. a better player or 2. get em to a bigger paycheck.

It an honest question Bart...…...and nobody ever answers it.

bartruff1
04-09-2019, 02:16 PM
I asked a question. Bless your lil heart Bart. Would it matter to the player if he got all kinds of awards if he stayed for his senior year. Most who stay for another year say it was worth it. Worth is then defined as 1. a better player or 2. get em to a bigger paycheck.

Of course the players answer it....they turn pro.....do I have to name them ??? I'll answer it as a fan...honest answer....absolutely not......... no one can know what the future holds or what might have been...

jazzdelmar
04-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Goss.

gu03alum
04-09-2019, 03:16 PM
I did a ranking, but got bored after the first team.

1. Gonzaga

Zagceo
04-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Far and away better than Klay Thompson?!? Overall though, you are right...Orange County is not a hoops hotbed. I have been in the OC for the last 12 years, with the most recent 6 in Eastside Costa Mesa. Feel confident we will be here for life now.

Speaking of the OC, maybe UCI's Max Hazzard is the answer for the Zags at PG? At this point, not sure how many grad transfer PG's will be more talented than Hazzard. I'm not sure if Pritchard at Oregon or Merrill at Utah St will pursue that transfer route or not. They seem like they maybe happy to stay at their respective schools, given the high expectations with both of those programs next year.

ever heard of Mater Dei in Santa Ana?

MDABE80
04-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Goss.

Goss isn't better Bart. Far worse and he knows it.

bartruff1
04-09-2019, 04:32 PM
That is not my opinion...read recently he is very happy to be playing in Europe and is in touch with the Jazz....

You can become a better player playing more games with and against better players.....I suspect he is doing that....

College is not the only option for a player who wants to play in the NBA..in any case the "right" thing for him is not necessarily the "right" thing for others...

And our opinions are irrelevant ….. end of story...

maynard g krebs
04-09-2019, 04:57 PM

I'm just the messenger here. Surprising to me as well. But no more ludicrous than the site that had the Ducks sixth, as one example.

I do think that lineup is top 20.

ETA: just saw a couple of other rankings. ESPN has Zags 8th; Wilner the Bay Area writer who covers the PAC has Zags 10th.

SanDiegoZag
04-10-2019, 08:26 AM
ever heard of Mater Dei in Santa Ana?

Yeah, I was going to add a disclaimer for Mater Dei...but as you surely know, they are a bit of a feeder/transfer school. It is basically an area all star team, and they will get guys from outside of Orange County too. Also, it's not like Orange County is small...it is almost half the population of all of Washington state...so you would figure there would be some talent. ...but yes, they are obviously a good "program". The OP mentioned just south Orange County, so yes, it is probably more appropriate to say that particular area does not produce much hoops talent.

Reborn
04-10-2019, 04:33 PM
5. Gonzaga

Clarke is a close call, but for now Iíll lean towards expecting him to turn pro. Even if he does, as long as Norvell and Tillie return, the Zags should not fall off at all. I expect Petrusev to take a huge step forward, and Mark Few is bringing in a six-man freshman class that is ranked No. 5 in the country by 247sports.

I agree, Jazz! Clarke IS a close call. IMO he could benefit a lot by returning to play college ball at GU. He has so much to work on on offense, imo. I'd like to see him develop the way Kelly O. did, and see him go much higher in the draft the following year.

Go Zags!!!

MDABE80
04-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Good and reasonable post Reborn. I think he’ll go through the tryouts but 50-50 to return/leave.
I agree, Jazz! Clarke IS a close call. IMO he could benefit a lot by returning to play college ball at GU. He has so much to work on on offense, imo. I'd like to see him develop the way Kelly O. did, and see him go much higher in the draft the following year.

Go Zags!!!

katman50
04-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Clarke is gone.