• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

The seeds of hope have been planted

While watching Texas Tech beat Michigan St I had a really good thought,"The Zags were really good this year, better than Michigan St." And this thought felt real good inside, and it's led me to put an end to this season. The season wasn't a failure at all, which I think some who post here believe (They are entitled to their opinions). If Texas Tech wins it all the Zags could end up the #2 team in the country, and at worst the #5. Which is really a GREAT season. My mind is filled with so many great memories of this season, and I've written about them all. There are two All-Americans on this team, which I believe is a first. And both Rui and Brandon have left their mark on Zag history and will always be remembered for what they achieved. I want to take a moment to say thank you, to everyone on this team. Thank you, 2019 Zags. Thanks for a year of great memories that I will not forget. Thanks for another really successful season.

And there is so much to look forward to in 2020. I've already begun doing extensive research. We have one of the top recruiting classes in the country. I think it's 3rd best. And we have a lot of returning players that will be great leaders next year. Put these two elements together, and let Mark Few and his staff do what they do every year, and we're going to have another top ten team. The seeds of hope have already been planted in my brain. I think Tillie should return to play, and be the leader that he is meant to be. He could have an unbelievable year, especially if he begins to prepare for it now and works to get into very top shape. Norvell and Kispert will be better, and have more freedom than ever before. I think Kispert needs to lose ten pounds so he can be quicker and be able to defend better. I think it will also help his shooting. Norvell needs to really work on his mid-range moves and shots and become more of a scorer than a 3 point shooter. I know he can do this if he decides to put in the work. I look forward to seeing him be more of a leader next year and become a go-to guy. And we have Petrusev back with these guys and he's going to be very, very good. He was already really good this year, and with added weight and muscle he'll be so much better next year. And I can't write off Ayayi or Foster. Not just yet. Let's see how they develop by the Fall. Having six guys back who were a big part of one of the best teams in the history of Gonzaga basketball is a great place to start.

And then you add Watson, Ravet, Timme, Ballo, Zhakarov, Arlauskas and two others and you can begin to see what I mean, and why I"m excited. Watson and Ravet are from Washington which means a lot to me. I will really pull for these two players to have great seasons next year. We will have 7 or 8 new players next year depending on what Tillie and Foster do. That's exciting. And that's what I love about college ball. It's like a river always changing, always moving downstream, flowing in perfect harmony.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

This has been the year that I have had to finally accept the fact that Gonzaga is a elite program.....not a blue blood...but elite...and likely to stay that way ..…. I only wish they would schedule fewer cupcakes in the non conference even it that means more losses...

Izzo said TT won because they were tougher.....

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
      This has been the year that I have had to finally accept the fact that Gonzaga is a elite program.....not a blue blood...but elite...and likely to stay that way ..…. I only wish they would schedule fewer cupcakes in the non conference even it that means more losses...

Izzo said TT won because they were tougher.....
      Mooney for Crandall and the Zags play Monday. Don't overwork it.

Comment

• MickMick
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

I have had hope for twenty years and it has gotten better over time.

GU is in a good place.
        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Zagceo
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Beard better closer

Comment

• vandalzag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
            Clarke turns it over 4 times in stead of 6 and the Zags most likely play on Monday. Owens transfers to Kentucky rather than TT and the Zags play on Monday. Lot's of variables go into the loss. Wide open shots fall in the first half and the Zags play on on Monday. Mooney for Crandall is the wrong comparison. Edwards for Crandal would be better since Mooney would not have got 35 minutes a game for the Zags. Edwards' 8 points vs the Zags was found money for TT.

Comment

• LTownZag
              Banned
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by vandalzag View Post
              Clarke turns it over 4 times in stead of 6 and the Zags most likely play on Monday. Owens transfers to Kentucky rather than TT and the Zags play on Monday. Lot's of variables go into the loss. Wide open shots fall in the first half and the Zags play on on Monday. Mooney for Crandall is the wrong comparison. Edwards for Crandal would be better since Mooney would not have got 35 minutes a game for the Zags. Edwards' 8 points vs the Zags was found money for TT.
              I think Jazz's point was that we needed an upgrade where we had (and knew we had) the greatest room for marginal improvement across our ~7 man lineup. Upgrade our weakest spot and it would have stuck with us from game to game to game.

Making T-Tech play worse might have helped us for 1 matchup. Making us better consistently by shoring up the weakest link would have helped us every game.

Comment

• amaronizag
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Jul 2013

I can say without hesitation that I had more fun watching this Gonzaga basketball team play this season than any team in the past. As much as I loved Karnowski (I really miss that guy), Sabonis, and too many players to name from the past, this team was my favorite to date. The depth of talent and the excitement they brought to the Kennel with their fast pace play, scoring blitzes, and superhuman dunks was like no other year for me. The St. Mary's and BYU games in the Kennel this year were amazing. They set a high bar for future teams. The warm fuzzy feeling they gave me will begin to fade next season when new players and great games will excite me all over again. But this team was very special to me and the excitement of this team will always stay with me even more than past teams. I don't see how it can get any better than this. Time will tell.

Comment

• LTownZag
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2017

Clarke, Rui, Perkins, and even Norvell (and in small stretches Crandall) play a very highlight-reel and exciting form of basketball. It was almost like GU's version of the showtime Lakers or something, with no-look passes, alley-oops galore, behind-the-backs, volleyball blocks, and coast-to-coast dunks. I think it was incredibly entertaining and wow-inducing. But I don't think that the team overall represented some unreturnable pinnacle or asymptote of winning. They were also prone to dry spells, missed assignments, TOs, and low/no scoring off the bench.

Tim Duncan was so boring and consistent he got nicknamed "the big fundamental". His fundamentals won 5 NBA championships. Kevin Pangos was incredibly consistent and not flashy. He also shot 42% from 3 and 84% from the line. He produced very few highlight-reel plays.

My point is that exciting or watchable or highlight-worthy does not always equal winning, balanced, or title-contending. I think we'll have a hard time building a more exciting team in the next few years, but maybe we'll go just as far (or farther) with a more balanced, deeper, and or more fundamentally sound one.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2008

I don't know how many of you have dvr'd the games vs. WVU and SCarolina from the NC game run a coupe of years ago.

I highly encourage you to rewatch those games, if you can, and see how the Zags #1 D played so effectively without fouling. it's incredible, nothing at all like what we're seeing called 'tough D' this time around. Nothing. it's like a different game being played.

jazz, disagree on the Mooney thing and wonder aloud if the reaching would be allowed if in a Zags uni

if the Zags had a missing link, it was a true big inside imo, not a perimeter player; the lack of a tough big inside was exposed when the the fouls occurred inside and our guys inside could not finish through the contact, or worse, turned it over with the contact and the fouls leading to transition the other way instead of 2 shots at the line

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by vandalzag View Post
                      Good post. I know it’s a gross generalization, but I’ll try it anyway; The Zag’s were just not ready to play T Tech. Both physical and mental parts to that. They weren’t ready because they couldn’t really see or know what was about to hit them because they hadn’t seen anything like it before.

Didn’t watch the Michigan State - T Tech game. About the same for MIchigan State?

At any rate, if anyone needed more proof that “Defense Travels,” they’ve got it now. Virginia v T Tech, Old School dream matchup!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by amaronizag View Post
                        I can say without hesitation that I had more fun watching this Gonzaga basketball team play this season than any team in the past. As much as I loved Karnowski (I really miss that guy), Sabonis, and too many players to name from the past, this team was my favorite to date. The depth of talent and the excitement they brought to the Kennel with their fast pace play, scoring blitzes, and superhuman dunks was like no other year for me. The St. Mary's and BYU games in the Kennel this year were amazing. They set a high bar for future teams. The warm fuzzy feeling they gave me will begin to fade next season when new players and great games will excite me all over again. But this team was very special to me and the excitement of this team will always stay with me even more than past teams. I don't see how it can get any better than this. Time will tell.
                        This matches how I feel. I had to force myself to stop and smell the roses sometimes and appreciate this team without all the expectations in March getting in the way. This was an excellent team and so fun to watch.

Comment

• gueastcoast
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I prefer Reborn's take to Blanchette's.
                          Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

For old timers, Mooney reminds me of ex UVa star John Crotty.

Comment

• Vanzagger
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

This years team had highlights coming from every direction. It reminded me of the Calvary, Spink, Santangelo and Frahm

Rocking the Rim at a Zag Level
                              Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

Working...
                              X