PDA

View Full Version : Great write up of GU/MSU scrimmage in The Athletic

kitzbuel
04-05-2019, 06:23 AM
Now that the season is over, we get good detail of the Zags/MSU scrimmage in Minneapolis last fall in an article in The Athletic on MSU's turn around from that. https://theathletic.com/906713/2019/04/04/understanding-michigan-state-is-found-on-the-road-back-to-minneapolis/?source=dailyemail. The article is about MSU's return to Minneapolis.

GU ran them out of the gym:

“Back then, it was, how in the (use your imagination) are we going to win 20 games? We ain’t gonna make the tournament!” said Doug Wojcik, MSU’s recruiting coordinator and quasi-consigliere to Tom Izzo, recounting the late-night conversations back then. “That was the period from like late November to the middle of December. Seriously. It was: How good are we? We aren’t very good. It was very hard to tell.”

JPtheBeasta
04-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Suck it Kentucky board!

J/k.

Interesting info, but small consolation. You’ve sent me into the stages of grief all over again...

kitzbuel
04-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Suck it Kentucky board!

J/k.

Interesting info, but small consolation. You’ve sent me into the stages of grief all over again...

Yeah, a little ironic that at the close of the season we finally get the information we were clamoring for in October.

Spink
04-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Yeah, a little ironic that at the close of the season we finally get the information we were clamoring for in October.

It was reported in Oct that we ran them out of the building.

??

CDC84
04-05-2019, 12:05 PM
As Spink says, it was reported on this site soon after the scrimmage took place. Some poster got quotes from a Michigan State premium site from a MSU assistant . The assistant said that we not only killed them in the scrimmage, but also in the situational drills. They had Josh Langford and everyone. We didn't have Killian.

ZagNative
04-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Wow. Great article! Thanks for sharing, Kitz.

Goshzagit
04-05-2019, 01:54 PM
We lost a step by season's end while they gained one.

Big difference.

Zack Norvell was our leading scorer vs MSU.

He looked to be our best player in Feburary, then March came and he lost a step., lacked explosion as well.

Felt like Zags lost momentum by the time NCAA rolled around.

Marcus
04-05-2019, 02:22 PM
We lost a step by season's end while they gained one.

Big difference.

Zack Norvell was our leading scorer vs MSU.

He looked to be our best player in Feburary, then March came and he lost a step., lacked explosion as well.

Felt like Zags lost momentum by the time NCAA rolled around.

I agree, something was up with Norvell. I have no real information to base this on and we will probably never know for sure as that is the Zag way but he just wasn't the same at the end of the year. Even his facial expressions out on the court were different. He almost looked like he was in pain just moving around but doing his best to mask it. He was getting into the lane with ease and finishing really well at the hoop for a bunch of games and then all of the sudden he wasn't.