PDA

View Full Version : Anton Watson

MDABE80
04-03-2019, 03:37 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/apr/03/ap-all-state-gonzaga-preps-anton-watson-wins-boys-/

And he's getting better and larger. I think we've got a good one. Nice award. Congrats.

ZagNative
04-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Wow.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Should have been a Burger boy.

gonzagafan62
04-03-2019, 04:19 PM

No doubt.

JPtheBeasta
04-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Watching him only one game during state-B, he looked fluid enough to play the 3. That would be pretty cool. He was next-level athletically compared to the other players and really seemed to be a team-oriented guy who enjoyed the game.

WallaWallaZag
04-03-2019, 06:14 PM
if we assume kispert gets the nod at the 3 and say tillie returns to play the 5...who starts at the 4 between anton and timme???

SWZag
04-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Seattle Pacific got an early steal by signing Shaw Anderson of Kelso, the 3A player of the year. Players outside of the Puget Sound don't get near the attention. But I will say he must not have fit into GU because Tommy could have influenced a player from his alma mater. Averaged over 28 ppg and almost 10 boards. He set the 3A state tourney record for points, 122, set last year by Erik Stevenson who is now at Wichita State.

Congrats Anton!

bdmiller7
04-03-2019, 06:28 PM
if we assume kispert gets the nod at the 3 and say tillie returns to play the 5...who starts at the 4 between anton and timme???

Petrusev.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Watty must start.

WallaWallaZag
04-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Petrusev.

in that case, i think it would be petrusev at the 5 and tillie at the 4...just don't think petrusev has the foot speed to play the 4. but we could still play the same game and assume tillie is gone and petrusev starts at the 5...which leaves us with the same question, who starts at the 4?

upan8th
04-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Tillie? Not to put a fine point on it, but, to quote The inimitable Sox's Hawk: HE GONE!

sittingon50
04-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Per the article, wasn't Anton the POY in GSL 3 yrs?

MDABE80
04-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Lots of superior bigs…. maybe best in the country. We'll see. Need PG. One or two really good PG's. We need a title.

Malastein
04-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Lots of superior bigs…. maybe best in the country. We'll see. Need PG. One or two really good PG's. We need a title.

Hard to say if that will be true quite yet. Some of these guys may need more time than others...

MDABE80
04-03-2019, 10:52 PM
No Mal...they're superior now. They're only going to get better. Always some lag before they blossom. Nothing new. We need PG excellence. That'll be key. Speaking of which..the transfer portal is now open. I do not know how to keep an eye on it but someone here should. Might be the most key thing to watch.

NotoriousZ
04-04-2019, 09:37 AM
I would bet that Timme and Watson will start

jazzdelmar
04-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Goss with these newbie bigs is at least S16. Just saying. Agree wDoc

jazzdelmar
04-04-2019, 09:42 AM

They’d better.

Mr Vulture
04-04-2019, 09:49 AM

I highly doubt they both start, at least not at the start of the year. If you think Kispert is going to come off the bench for Watson, it's not going to happen, it's just not how it goes at GU. That doesn't mean Watson won't play the important minutes like Collins did.

I'd expect the starters will be: Grad Transfer PG, Norvell, Kispert, Timme, Petrusev
Guys that get legit run: Watson, Ravet
Guys that will compete for rest of minutes: Ballo, Zhakarov, Arlauskas, Ayayi, Foster

CB4
04-04-2019, 09:55 AM
I highly doubt they both start, at least not at the start of the year. If you think Kispert is going to come off the bench for Watson, it's not going to happen, it's just not how it goes at GU. That doesn't mean Watson won't play the important minutes like Collins did.

I'd expect the starters will be: Grad Transfer PG, Norvell, Kispert, Timme, Petrusev
Guys that get legit run: Watson, Ravet
Guys that will compete for rest of minutes: Ballo, Zhakarov, Arlauskas, Ayayi, Foster

If Killie is back, healthy and with upperclassman level of confidence, the lineup will be pretty good. Need Kispert and Norvell to play big roles.

Reborn
04-04-2019, 10:24 AM
If Killie is back, healthy and with upperclassman level of confidence, the lineup will be pretty good. Need Kispert and Norvell to play big roles.

If Tillie returns Gonzaga will be a top ten team once again. That would make it a team with 3 starters returning off of an Elite 8 team. We can't forget Petrusev either because he played a huge role before Tillie came back. Could that player be Ballo?

CDC84
04-05-2019, 12:54 PM

+1. That game is so full of politics.

Bill Self should have also picked him for the Team USA U18 squad due to his versatility. Not that I can blame Self that much. Team USA won the gold and did so easily.

jazzdelmar
04-05-2019, 01:06 PM
These are 5 star kids. Hit the ground running. Play the best 5.

+1. That game is so full of politics.

Bill Self should have also picked him for the Team USA U18 squad due to his versatility. Not that I can blame Self that much. Team USA won the gold and did so easily.

JAGzag
04-05-2019, 02:27 PM
The reason I’m excited about next year is not just the talent. With so many new faces I hope the team can hit their stride at the right time later in the year. With a quality PG transfer, we should have the talent to do well.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-05-2019, 05:59 PM
The reason I’m excited about next year is not just the talent. With so many new faces I hope the team can hit their stride at the right time later in the year. With a quality PG transfer, we should have the talent to do well.

Timme appears to be a pretty intense competitor. I hope next years squad has great fire and toughness.

Mantua
04-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Watty must start.

His Twitter handle is "twonster4080".

Goshzagit
04-06-2019, 05:14 AM
These are 5 star kids. Hit the ground running. Play the best 5.

I've heard this mentioned many times on the board, yet still haven't found a single recruiting service ranking any of our recruits 5*...

This includes 247/Rivals/ESPN/Verbal/etc.

jazzdelmar
04-06-2019, 05:40 AM
I've heard this mentioned many times on the board, yet still haven't found a single recruiting service ranking any of our recruits 5*...

This includes 247/Rivals/ESPN/Verbal/etc.

Timme, for one...

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/drew-timme-9785

Ballo, for another...

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/oumar-ballo-234806

Watty is a 4, inexplicably....

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/anton-watson-210808

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/230318/anton-watson

zagsfanforlife
04-06-2019, 07:41 AM
Watson may be starting, but it wouldnt be at the expense of Kispert. Few has shown over time there is no chance he is going to backtrack and put someone on the bench who has been starting for 2 years.

mgadfly
04-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Unless you’re Zach Gourde and Corey V and Ronny T end up on your team.

DixieZag
04-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Watson may be starting, but it wouldnt be at the expense of Kispert. Few has shown over time there is no chance he is going to backtrack and put someone on the bench who has been starting for 2 years.

He is going to have to if he wants 5* kids like Watson coming.

And I'm in with Jazz on Watson being a 5* - he's led his team 2x now (?) to state championships, had he been on the other side of the state there's no doubt in my mind he'd be 5* even though I've only seen clips. Had he been on the other side of the country he'd be the burger boy … on the way to Duke.

JPtheBeasta
04-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Kispert took big strides on defense and that alone could keep him starting. Watson is a team guy and I see him very easily accepting a bench role early on as a super sub who can play multiple spots (maybe how Jones was used, but more minutes). Timme seems like an alpha dog and I could see him bumping Petrusev at the 5; Petrusev seems laid back in similar vain as Tillie. It will be fun to see how this all shakes out.

jchocolate99
04-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Watson is not starting over Kispert unless Kispert just stinks it up next year which I highly doubt. Kispert has been on two tourney teams and has played in some of our biggest games. We had two lottery picks in Sabonis and Collins coming off the bench for prior Zags teams so that should be your blueprint and shut that debate down fast. If Watson transitions to the next level well he'll get starter like minutes like Sabonis and Collins got so there's no issue when it comes to play time of our talented players

Zagceo
04-06-2019, 03:54 PM
best players play.

jazzdelmar
04-06-2019, 03:59 PM
best players play.

Not at GU

Ezag
04-06-2019, 04:19 PM
I can't believe that Kispert will be a starter next year. He was so inconsistent in both offense and defense

jazzdelmar
04-06-2019, 04:22 PM
I can't believe that Kispert will be a starter next year. He was so inconsistent in both offense and defense

There’s hope. After being anointed a starter as a frosh, he got hurt and thankfully Few found Norvell on the bench. He never got back in the starting lineup, I believe.

Zagceo
04-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Not at GU

Zags always preach team..time to step up and act like it

Goshzagit
04-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Not hating whatsover, yet Kispert is a great 6th man type.

Hit a 3 or two, rebound, energy bringer, toughness, yet far from a starter type for a top 10 program.

He played 3rd most mins of any GU player this year and it shouldn't be that way...

He deserves legit playing time, his hustle, size, heart, rebounding, shooting is worthy, yet starting isn't indicative of GU program these days.

I'd like to see Anton Watson start at the 3 next season, even thru growing pains, and have Corey come off the bench to add energy, shooting, toughness, and defense not as importantly mins 15 thru 8 in each half.

Perfect 6th man. Needs to happen, yet Corey is coaches pet and there is nothing or no one going to change that.

JPtheBeasta
04-06-2019, 05:13 PM
“Coaches pet” is such a derogatory way to say it. He might have played more than you wanted him to, but Jeremy Jones was his next competitor for minutes. The front court wasn’t deep and a small guy at the 3 made the most sense to me. Next year is a different story, and Kispert as 6th man off the bench makes a lot of sense, assuming Watson comes in ready to play and picks up the defensive rotations.

katman50
04-06-2019, 05:15 PM
No way Watson starts over Corey. End of story.

jchocolate99
04-06-2019, 05:33 PM

THIS!!!!!

Don't get me wrong... Corey frustrated me at times and I wish he would be more aggressive getting to the hoop like that one play his freshman year when he almost connected a dunk in traffic. This team is too young next year so to think we wouldn't have one of our most experienced players in Kispert who has been a starter and has played in the NCAA tourney and has played in big games not on the court starting is a little misguided IMO. I'm excited for Watson and if he shows he can play at the D1 level he'll get plenty of playing time.

Zagsker
04-06-2019, 05:38 PM
THIS!!!!!

Don't get me wrong... Corey frustrated me at times and I wish he would be more aggressive getting to the hoop like that one play his freshman year when he almost connected a dunk in traffic. This team is too young next year so to think we wouldn't have one of our most experienced players in Kispert who has been a starter and has played in the NCAA tourney and has played in big games not on the court starting is a little misguided IMO. I'm excited for Watson and if he shows he can play at the D1 level he'll get plenty of playing time.

I would think his runs in the AAU circuit shows that

Zagcity
04-06-2019, 05:42 PM

I think first half of season you are correct but second half I am not so sure.

jchocolate99
04-06-2019, 05:52 PM
I would think his runs in the AAU circuit shows that

That's a negative... AAU doesn't prove how he'll do at the D1 level... Playing at the D1 level and having success in actual games shows that

I think first half of season you are correct but second half I am not so sure.

If he comes in and shows he can pick up the offensive and defensive schemes quickly and outproduce Corey he earns that right to start.

EEzag
04-06-2019, 06:49 PM
That's a negative... AAU doesn't prove how he'll do at the D1 level... Playing at the D1 level and having success in actual games shows that

If he comes in and shows he can pick up the offensive and defensive schemes quickly and outproduce Corey he earns that right to start.

Starting means so little at GU. If Anton finds that next intensity gear it will be hard to take him off the court.

Zagger
04-06-2019, 07:43 PM
I’m betting both Kispert & Petrusev start next season - due to improvement between now & then. Both are skilled athletes. Next season’s team could be pretty deep.

jchocolate99
04-06-2019, 08:48 PM
I’m betting both Kispert & Petrusev start next season - due to improvement between now & then. Both are skilled athletes. Next season’s team could be pretty deep.

Due to improvement and one player with two years knowing the offense and defense and the other with a year of knowing the scheme. Our system is not always the easiest to learn for new players... The future is bright and exciting though next year will be fun and frustrating at the same time

CDC84
04-06-2019, 09:16 PM
Few didn't start Morrison on the 2004 team even though he was the best scorer on the team, and even though it was arguably one of the reasons why Gonzaga got worse during WCC play even as they kept winning games.

Few has a longstanding tradition of starting experienced players over freshmen, even if there is a talent differential. I would be very surprised if Snacks, Kispert, and YES, even Petrusev are not starting next year ahead of all of the talented frosh. Petrusev was a top 50 player that was offered by Arizona, Kansas, Florida, Maryland and many other top flight BCS teams. And if Kilian returns, as I feel he will, he will start as well. Over Watson....everyone. It is just the way Few operates. If he does start Watson, it will be a break from tradition. In the past when freshmen have started, it's because there has been a hole in the lineup. Or because the returning player is not good enough to see big minutes.

LTownZag
04-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Few didn't start Morrison on the 2004 team even though he was the best scorer on the team, and even though it was arguably one of the reasons why Gonzaga got worse during WCC play even as they kept winning games.

Few has a longstanding tradition of starting experienced players over freshmen, even if there is a talent differential. I would be very surprised if Snacks, Kispert, and YES, even Petrusev are not starting next year ahead of all of the talented frosh. Petrusev was a top 50 player that was offered by Arizona, Kansas, Florida, Maryland and many other top flight BCS teams. And if Kilian returns, as I feel he will, he will start as well. Over Watson....everyone. It is just the way Few operates. If he does start Watson, it will be a break from tradition. In the past when freshmen have started, it's because there has been a hole in the lineup. Or because the returning player is not good enough to see big minutes.

I agree 100%.

I think Ravet is the most likely freshman to start.

That has nothing to do with Ravet being "better" than Timme, Watson, or Ballo or Donald Duck. It has everything to do with not having any experienced point guards on the team to be the default starter.

TexasZagFan
04-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Petrusev could be considered at the 3 next year, what with the bigs coming in. Filip looked real comfortable taking the three last year. Mixing it up inside did not appear to be among his favorite things to do.

Bogozags
04-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Petrusev could be considered at the 3 next year, what with the bigs coming in. Filip looked real comfortable taking the three last year. Mixing it up inside did not appear to be among his favorite things to do.

Being a “3” on offence and being a three on defence is where rubber meets the road. Can Filip defend at that position, that is the question and that is my concern for Watson as well. This isn’t a “I can score more than the man I have to guard” scenario...imo

Ladyzag12
04-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Petrusev is an elite offensive player and he will cycle through the 4 and 5. Our offense will center around Zach and Petrusev. Watson is great and a jack of all trades and should give us plenty of positional flexibility. If he had played high level aau he would be higher ranked. He outplayed McDaniels all year.

maynard g krebs
04-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Not hating whatsover, yet Kispert is a great 6th man type.

yet Corey is coaches pet and there is nothing or no one going to change that.

Second line above sure sounds like hating to me.

IMO CK is capable of more, but much like Perkins in the NWG year, he's willing to give up his individual game for the good of the team imo. For most of the season, this year's team was one of the top 3 offenses since Kenpom began. CK is a glue guy in the offense. Always makes the right decisions, which helps put the team's stars in a position to excel. Few understands this even if fans don't.

I don't believe it's CK v Watson. Rui at the 3 didn't happen. Harris at the 3 didn't happen. Those aren't exact comps to Watson, who is imo a better passer than both, and has decent handles for his size. So while it's more possible that Watson primarily plays the 3 for GU, it's like all the talk of someone surpassing SMC for second in the league; as I said before the season re that, I'll believe it when I see it.

In the one time I saw Watson this year, v Federal Way, he had 4 points w/ 3 minutes left. The defense was keying on him, and Lloyd and Perola (sp?) were having terrific games, so it's to his credit that he let the game come to him. But when Fed Way made a run and took the lead late in the 3rd or early in the 4th, he tried to take over and go 1 on 1 w/ Tari Eason and couldn't score on him. One thing that disturbed me is that twice in that game, Watson picked up his dribble v the press and jumped in the air without knowing what he was going to do with the ball; once he threw it away and the other time one of his teammates managed to save the ball.

In that game he got 6 of his 10 points after Eason and McDaniels fouled out. I knew he'd have a huge game v Mount Si because they didn't have anybody w/ the physical ability to contain his athleticism.

IMO the talk of Watson being a 5 star and MCDAA worthy is a bit over the top; imo he deserves his high 4 star ranking. My brother went to State on Thursday (Prep's first game) and is impartial on the Zags. His opinion was that McDaniels and Paolo Banchero of O'dea were the best players he saw, and said Watson was "slightly behind" those two. IMO if Watson starts, it's probably at the 4 and because of departures leaving that spot open.

Mantua
04-07-2019, 04:42 PM
Second line above sure sounds like hating to me.

IMO CK is capable of more, but much like Perkins in the NWG year, he's willing to give up his individual game for the good of the team imo. For most of the season, this year's team was one of the top 3 offenses since Kenpom began. CK is a glue guy in the offense. Always makes the right decisions, which helps put the team's stars in a position to excel. Few understands this even if fans don't.

I don't believe it's CK v Watson. Rui at the 3 didn't happen. Harris at the 3 didn't happen. Those aren't exact comps to Watson, who is imo a better passer than both, and has decent handles for his size. So while it's more possible that Watson primarily plays the 3 for GU, it's like all the talk of someone surpassing SMC for second in the league; as I said before the season re that, I'll believe it when I see it.

In the one time I saw Watson this year, v Federal Way, he had 4 points w/ 3 minutes left. The defense was keying on him, and Lloyd and Perola (sp?) were having terrific games, so it's to his credit that he let the game come to him. But when Fed Way made a run and took the lead late in the 3rd or early in the 4th, he tried to take over and go 1 on 1 w/ Tari Eason and couldn't score on him. One thing that disturbed me is that twice in that game, Watson picked up his dribble v the press and jumped in the air without knowing what he was going to do with the ball; once he threw it away and the other time one of his teammates managed to save the ball.

In that game he got 6 of his 10 points after Eason and McDaniels fouled out. I knew he'd have a huge game v Mount Si because they didn't have anybody w/ the physical ability to contain his athleticism.

IMO the talk of Watson being a 5 star and MCDAA worthy is a bit over the top; imo he deserves his high 4 star ranking. My brother went to State on Thursday (Prep's first game) and is impartial on the Zags. His opinion was that McDaniels and Paolo Banchero of O'dea were the best players he saw, and said Watson was "slightly behind" those two. IMO if Watson starts, it's probably at the 4 and because of departures leaving that spot open.

I look at that game differently. McDaniels and Eason fouled out trying to contain him. Anton wasn’t playing with an equally gifted partner like McDaniels or Eason and neither was in the game at the end, yet Anton was, due to excellent coaching and a well disciplined squad. One of Anton’s qualities is being coachable. Athleticism doesn’t mean as much if players aren’t smart. His smoothness is deceptive too, as has been mentioned before. I’ve seen a couple coaches devalue their own smooth players until the record books make them take a second look.

katman50
04-07-2019, 05:20 PM
The bottom line: Division 1 basketball is a lot different from high school ball. Too early to "annoint" certain newcomers as starters for the team. I believe Anton will make a great Zag. Have seen him play a few times. Have never seen Timme play, but another great get. How their play translates to big time college ball, I have no idea. Will have to wait. Is interesting that Ravet doesn't get the same plaudits as Watson and Timme although he held his own in AAU ball.

EEzag
04-08-2019, 06:20 AM
The bottom line: Division 1 basketball is a lot different from high school ball. Too early to "annoint" certain newcomers as starters for the team. I believe Anton will make a great Zag. Have seen him play a few times. Have never seen Timme play, but another great get. How their play translates to big time college ball, I have no idea. Will have to wait. Is interesting that Ravet doesn't get the same plaudits as Watson and Timme although he held his own in AAU ball.

When Kispert gets pulled, it's almost always for defense. He did show better speed and footwork as the season went on, but there is a reason opposing teams pick on him when he's in. I'd love to see him find more success. I'm not sure there is a harder worker on the team

cggonzaga
04-08-2019, 06:34 AM

“Slightly behind” a top 5 player in this class would still put him within top 25 and a McD’s AA imo. I’d still take Watson over McDaniels any day of the week. Watson may not have the potential of McDaniels but I’d be willing to bet he ends up the better player.

Hoopaholic
04-08-2019, 06:55 AM
Anton could be very very similar to Culver and would be a dynamic add if:

Anton could be a Culver look alike if he focus on defense, being able to defend the wing thru point guard

Anton could be a Culver if he obtains a nice running floater in lane and consistent outside shot

CDC84
04-08-2019, 08:10 AM
I will tell you this........with all the talent that is coming in, Few may give Petrusev the first crack, but he had better experience a "Norvell-like" transformation on defense during the offseason. His offense was WAY ahead of his defense this year. I mean, that's normal with frosh, but really, Filip has a long, long way to go on D in the low post. I haven't seem him enough in pick and roll situations to see how he handles that. Whereas based on everything I have heard, Watson is going to be a terrific versatile defender. Granted, with much learning that will need to take place.

I cannot wait to see Watson in a Zag uniform. Few is super high on him.

Reborn
04-08-2019, 08:19 AM
I think Norvell, Kispert, and Tillie, if he returns, will start. After that the windows are wide open. In this day and age freshmen can start because they are good enough to start. There are some really, really good freshmen players who are going to be on the team next year, and they will have CHANCE to start, or come off the bench and make a difference. I think our bench will be much better next year and that will help. I must say, there's was not a lot of scoring punch coming in off the bench this year and it hurt us against a team like Texas Tech who did have a good bench. If the freshmen are better they will play. I believe that's true. I agree with CDC that Petrusev does not have a guarantee. There are a couple of studs coming into the program.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
04-08-2019, 08:25 AM
I will tell you this........with all the talent that is coming in, Few may give Petrusev the first crack, but he had better experience a "Norvell-like" transformation on defense during the offseason. His offense was WAY ahead of his defense this year. I mean, that's normal with frosh, but really, Filip has a long, long way to go on D in the low post. I haven't seem him enough in pick and roll situations to see how he handles that. Whereas based on everything I have heard, Watson is going to be a terrific versatile defender. Granted, with much learning that will need to take place.

IMO, Filip has much to fear from Drew Timme. Drew's motor is nonstop, and won't need much of a learning curve. He's used to elite level competition, as seen in his AAU play, and his conference included the eventual state champ Duncanville. His school has a student population of about 2500 IIRC, as opposed to 5000 at Duncanville.

He averaged 20+ ppg and 13 rpq last year. Good passer, too.

Worthington
04-08-2019, 08:49 AM
I was very high on Petrusev heading into the season. His talent level on offense is evident, but he was WAY behind where I thought he would be on defense. In my opinion, a lot of his struggles seemed to be from a lack of toughness/fire which is a little discouraging to see. I bet he will get the first crack at the starting spot, but it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the freshmen leapfrog him, especially Timme with his energy and elite passing ability.

MontanaCoyote
04-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Maybe we’ll have 9, even 10 players getting real minutes. I think of that as a big plus. Quality bench strength seems to
be a key to success in today’s college game.

DixieZag
04-08-2019, 09:51 AM
I cannot believe people are still entertaining the idea of Tillie being back.

There is nothing I would wish for more than Tillie coming back to be a solid presence on next year's team. We're suddenly top 8 or so and a contender again if he returns.

But, until I hear that he's committed to coming back, I see no chance at all that it will happen. True, he isn't going to the NBA next year on the string of injuries he's had. But, he can make low 6 figures in Europe, where he's from, trying to make his case for an NBA job.

I can only see him coming back if he believes that the coaching is so superior that it's worth giving up that money to develop and prove he can stay healthy (can he?) and set himself up as a first round pick.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2019, 10:06 AM
I cannot believe people are still entertaining the idea of Tillie being back.

There is nothing I would wish for more than Tillie coming back to be a solid presence on next year's team. We're suddenly top 8 or so and a contender again if he returns.

But, until I hear that he's committed to coming back, I see no chance at all that it will happen. True, he isn't going to the NBA next year on the string of injuries he's had. But, he can make low 6 figures in Europe, where he's from, trying to make his case for an NBA job.

I can only see him coming back if he believes that the coaching is so superior that it's worth giving up that money to develop and prove he can stay healthy (can he?) and set himself up as a first round pick.

I wouldn't make that bet that Tillie doesn't go to the NBA next year. He has the skill set to play in the NBA with his size/shooting combo. I completely expect him to be drafted this year if he goes, granted it will likely be the 2nd round due to the injury concern. I agree that his is unlikely to return to GU next season either way.

DixieZag
04-08-2019, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't make that bet that Tillie doesn't go to the NBA next year. He has the skill set to play in the NBA with his size/shooting combo. I completely expect him to be drafted this year if he goes, granted it will likely be the 2nd round due to the injury concern. I agree that his is unlikely to return to GU next season either way.

For Tillie's sake it would be wonderful if you're right.

Given that I think he's gone, I certainly want to be wrong about him and the NBA, want nothing but for that kid to be happy and succeed.

Ezag
04-08-2019, 10:38 AM
I am not sure why Tillie wouldn't stay for another year and be a 1st rounder in 2020. He doesn't show up on any 2019 draft boards that I can find anymore and even if he did go 2nd round that is no guarantee. Yes, he can make money right away in Europe but not compared to what a 1st round player can make in the NBA. The only concern I would have for him not going pro this year either in NBA or overseas is that he is pretty injury prone.

Watson's gonna be a stud!

CDC84
04-12-2019, 12:33 PM
IMO, Filip has much to fear from Drew Timme. Drew's motor is nonstop, and won't need much of a learning curve. He's used to elite level competition, as seen in his AAU play, and his conference included the eventual state champ Duncanville. His school has a student population of about 2500 IIRC, as opposed to 5000 at Duncanville.

He averaged 20+ ppg and 13 rpq last year. Good passer, too.

There are some Texas talent evaluators who feel Timme is just flat out better than Will Baker, the guy who committed to Texas who is considered the top big man in the state. Certainly the top center.

MDABE80
04-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Timme, Watson, Petrusev, Tillie, quite the front line. Formidable and might be no 1 frontline in the country. I like the very good athleticism but I also like the toughness Timme brings. Watson, less the "hammer" type kid but he'll get there. Raw talent wise, I like Filip...he's just got left behind when Tillie was available.

Zagger
04-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Seems to me that next season's roster/team, at this time, is one of the most difficult to make any sort of predictions for. Some very significant players are leaving for sure and others may. Enough new guys are coming in that teamwork factors become a huge unknown. Improvement of players who will return is a given - but by how much will they improve? My head spins a bit when I read the posts in this thread. Everyone is making good points and many points differ. I really don't know what to think and likely won't have a clue myself until at least KITK when we get to see who's present and how they play.

zagamatic
04-13-2019, 08:05 AM
When Kispert gets pulled, it's almost always for defense. He did show better speed and footwork as the season went on, but there is a reason opposing teams pick on him when he's in. I'd love to see him find more success. I'm not sure there is a harder worker on the team

It seems to me that when Kispert gets beat on defense it's because he's looking at the players eyes, not their hips. As my old coach used to say, "the hips don't lie".

hooter73
04-13-2019, 08:09 AM
Timme, Watson, Petrusev, Tillie, quite the front line. Formidable and might be no 1 frontline in the country. I like the very good athleticism but I also like the toughness Timme brings. Watson, less the "hammer" type kid but he'll get there. Raw talent wise, I like Filip...he's just got left behind when Tillie was available.

...Zakharov, Ballo...

Birddog
04-13-2019, 09:00 AM
It seems to me that when Kispert gets beat on defense it's because he's looking at the players eyes, not their hips. As my old coach used to say, "the hips don't lie".

Yer probably correct on that but not tell that to your girlfriend.

zaguarxj
04-13-2019, 10:40 AM

+Pavel
+Ballo

MDABE80
04-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Haven’t seen either play.
...Zakharov, Ballo...

zagbeliever
04-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Timme is going to be fun to watch. I love a trash talking big guy. :)

surfmonkey89
04-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Without getting into specific players, it’s pretty obvious that the starting five at the beginning of the season are the veterans in the program. Then, as the season progresses, you can tell who Few believes in by who finishes the games.

Mantua
04-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Without getting into specific players, itís pretty obvious that the starting five at the beginning of the season are the veterans in the program. Then, as the season progresses, you can tell who Few believes in by who finishes the games.

The new talent looks crazy good, but letís not overlook the importance of the veteransí roles on and off the court.

sittingon50
04-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Timme is going to be fun to watch. I love a trash talking big guy. :)

Like Omar.

DixieZag
04-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Like Omar.

Every Zag fan would have loved Omar had he been a Zag.

I didn't like him as competition, but respected that kid. He had some great battles against Sacre.

Malastein
04-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Every Zag fan would have loved Omar had he been a Zag.

I didn't like him as competition, but respected that kid. He had some great battles against Sacre.

I don’t think Few would’ve allowed him to act out as much as he did. Few has benched players for some of the antics Omar regularly pulled. Just saying...

zagbeliever
04-13-2019, 10:52 PM
Oh gosh, not this Zag fan!!! Hate that guy. Rob was full of fun Omar was (is) a jerk.

DixieZag
04-14-2019, 06:34 AM
I don’t think Few would’ve allowed him to act out as much as he did. Few has benched players for some of the antics Omar regularly pulled. Just saying...

I don't recall any of that, perhaps you're right.

I recall a hardnosed dude who didn't back down.

zagbeliever
04-14-2019, 11:14 AM

He even had BEAST tattooed on his lower lip. ugh I'll never forget he and his entourage running through the Orleans with the net around his neck yelling and swearing how f*****g good the were the year the beat us.

Never, ever ZAG material.

Ladyzag12
04-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Least favorite college basketball player of all time. Don't have a good word to say about him.

sittingon50
04-14-2019, 02:38 PM
If he would have been a Zag you guys would have LOVED him!

mgadfly
04-14-2019, 03:21 PM

Wasn’t he the one who went out of his way to strut by the GU bench giving them the middle finger? I think as a freshman or sophomore? I was embarrassed to be a Zag when Wiltjer dunked on a team in the closing seconds, I’m pretty sure Ham Sandwich would have been my least favorite Zag of all time.

NEC26
04-14-2019, 03:58 PM

I'm sure he would most definitely have had supporters but I would not have been one of them. I don't care for people who are vulgar, bombastic, and have that constant in your face mentality.
I don't know if it comes from insecurity or just a a narcissistic personality but I get tired of it real quick.

zagbeliever
04-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Coach Few would have never recruited him. He is not Zag material. Arrogant and self centered.

CDC84
04-14-2019, 09:50 PM
I hate trash talking on the floor. If I were a coach, I would tell my players "You say anything to the opposition or use body language that lacks sportsmanship you're out of the game." There is nothing more intimidating in sports than a guy jamming it in some guy's face and then hustling back on defense. It sends this message: "what I did is what I am supposed to do. There is nothing special about it. The game isn't over yet. Expect more of what just happened, because I am a better player than you, and more importantly, our team is better than yours." It communicates it without showing off. It is so intimidating to the opposing player or team. I don't know. I long to see a basketball team that beats someone by 33 while never saying a word to the opponent, or even displaying any sort of "hot dog" body language. In fact, I would only want my players to slam dunk the ball because it is a higher % shot. I am sorry if it lacks fun, but I long for a team to do it because it doesn't happen. And most of all, it puts such fear into an opponent because they never see it as well.

sittingon50
04-14-2019, 10:20 PM
He acted the way he did (IMO) because they were huge underdogs to the Zags & he had to play with a chip on his shoulder to better motivate himself & his team.

It is my belief that you would have seen a different persona had he been on the "good guys."

Perhaps someone who saw him play in HS would know better than I.