PDA

View Full Version : Off season protocol

willandi
04-02-2019, 07:28 PM
So there are six new players coming in next year and six returning, if both Tillie and Norvell come back. I feel comfortable that Norvell will be back and less so about Tills. He can make much money in Euroball right away.

My questions are:

When does GU start paying for the student athletes to be here. Can they be enrolled in summer school and there-by pick up the tab?

How much contact can coaches have with the incoming (and current returning ) athletes prior to the official start of the preseason? Hasn't that been expanded recently?

How much advance instructions can the incoming athletes be given? Can they be issued a play book? Can they be given a play book from last year?

How much contact can previous athletes contribute to the incoming athletes? I know they scrimmage, but...if Josh isn't working out for an NBA team, a G-League slot, can he tutor Brock?

I am sure there are other things I am not even aware of. Please feel free to fill in any blanks.

Thanks

willandi
04-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Bump.

Does no one know the NCAA rules about out of season contact?

Markburn1
04-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Bump.

Does no one know the NCAA rules about out of season contact?

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=8823

kitzbuel
04-05-2019, 10:57 AM
I know from past threads that coaches are only allowed to work with players during specifically designated seasons. They do have contact with players during events like camps where the players volunteer to help run the camp, but it can't be to train the players. We see that during the summer camp season. Current, future, and past players all participate in non-organized 'pick-up' games and 'gym rat' sessions wherever the can; the gym in between camp sessions, Stockton's Warehouse, etc.

Almost all the players are taking summer classes as well to take the load off their class requirements during the season. Incoming freshmen can enroll as soon as they are accepted by the University.

Not sure if the athletic scholarship can cover summer session tuition, but I don't think so. I think the students have to cover that separately. The NCAA does have a needs-based scholarship program to assist with that under certain circumstances. Schools also have scholarship, grant, and loan programs that students can apply for as well.

willandi
04-05-2019, 11:45 AM
I know from past threads that coaches are only allowed to work with players during specifically designated seasons. They do have contact with players during events like camps where the players volunteer to help run the camp, but it can't be to train the players. We see that during the summer camp season. Current, future, and past players all participate in non-organized 'pick-up' games and 'gym rat' sessions wherever the can; the gym in between camp sessions, Stockton's Warehouse, etc.

Almost all the players are taking summer classes as well to take the load off their class requirements during the season. Incoming freshmen can enroll as soon as they are accepted by the University.

Not sure if the athletic scholarship can cover summer session tuition, but I don't think so. I think the students have to cover that separately. The NCAA does have a needs-based scholarship program to assist with that under certain circumstances. Schools also have scholarship, grant, and loan programs that students can apply for as well.

Thank you.

Can last years players,work with incoming and teach the sets?