PDA

View Full Version : Ayayi and Foster

Mr Vulture
04-02-2019, 10:09 AM
I wanted to start a thread about these guys as I'm curious as to what those more closely connected see from these two kids in the future. Is there a plan in place in regards to positions and will they realistically have a chance to carve out a bigger role as they mature. I see a lot of athleticism in Ayayi and he's still fairly young for a guy that's going to be RS-So next season. Foster seems like he has some skills, not shooting so far, and could develop in time. Thoughts?

LongIslandZagFan
04-02-2019, 10:46 AM
I wanted to start a thread about these guys as I'm curious as to what those more closely connected see from these two kids in the future. Is there a plan in place in regards to positions and will they realistically have a chance to carve out a bigger role as they mature. I see a lot of athleticism in Ayayi and he's still fairly young for a guy that's going to be RS-So next season. Foster seems like he has some skills, not shooting so far, and could develop in time. Thoughts?

Really wish Foster had gotten a little more run, especially when Crandall was out.

hooter73
04-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Guards develop early so you can generally tell who has it and who isnt quite there. Joel is young, but so far, has not shown in D1 what he showed overseas, albeit with very limited minutes. He may be a back up 2 guard, but I dont project more than that. Foster is not at this level, pretty much period.

And if they are both here next year I will cheer for them to do well every second... just to be clear.

Gonzagit
04-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Neither can play at this level. Both will be gone soon.

Vanzagger
04-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Complimentary ball

We know they can both get stops and we know CK & ZN can fill it. Good problem to have

jazzdelmar
04-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Complimentary ball

We know they can both get stops and we know CK & ZN can fill it. Good problem to have

Fill what? And and at what rate?

jazzdelmar
04-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Neither can play at this level. Both will be gone soon.

Totally agree.....good luck to both in D2.

ZagsObserver
04-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Guards develop early so you can generally tell who has it and who isnt quite there. Joel is young, but so far, has not shown in D1 what he showed overseas, albeit with very limited minutes. He may be a back up 2 guard, but I dont project more than that. Foster is not at this level, pretty much period.

And if they are both here next year I will cheer for them to do well every second... just to be clear.

I could write a post, but this about covers it. +1

Goshzagit
04-02-2019, 11:45 AM
No way Foster is a D1 level PG, neither is Ayayi.

I still have have hope in Ayayi though, moreso depth at SG.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Wade, Joel, Foster....that's three straight whiffs. Even for Ichiro, not a good streak.

meadgrad02
04-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Wade, Joel, Foster....that's three straight whiffs. Even for Ichiro, not a good streak.

Hopefully Ravet doesn't keep the streak alive...

cggonzaga
04-02-2019, 12:36 PM
No way Foster is a D1 level PG, neither is Ayayi.

I still have have hope in Ayayi though, moreso depth at SG.

I think Foster has a role here as a backup pg/sg. I think he could be very solid as a defender and getting us into offense. I have little faith or hope in Ayayi.

Zagceo
04-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Ayayi might hang because Ballo speaks French and Ballo mentioned it was nice having someone on the team fluent.

I like Ayayi wing span but his slim frame and handles are questionable.

Malastein
04-02-2019, 01:56 PM
I won’t count on them until I see them play at a consistently high level. Who knows if that will happen or not. Rooting for it, but there’s plenty of other guys who should be able to play at a high level regardless. Nice to see the recruiting improve as much as it has!

OZZY
04-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Wouldn't write Joel off yet.

In see Ayayi as a project, he and Petrusev both starred in the World Juniors last summer, he is younger and with his God-given athleticism and determination I believe he could find time as a backup SG next year behind ZN. Who knows after that, none of us at this stage.

After all it took Rui a year to get his feet set in Spokane....

Historically, players that star at the world Junior level (in those pressure situations) tend to do well in Zag uniforms (examples Kevin Pangos and Karno).

We can all remember how most of the board felt about Kelly after his first 2 seasons......some players take time to grow into their body.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Wouldn't write Joel off yet.

In see Ayayi as a project, he and Petrusev both starred in the World Juniors last summer, he is younger and with his God-given athleticism and determination I believe he could find time as a backup SG next year behind ZN. Who knows after that, none of us at this stage.

After all it took Rui a year to get his feet set in Spokane....

Historically, players that star at the world Junior level (in those pressure situations) tend to do well in Zag uniforms (examples Kevin Pangos and Karno).

We can all remember how most of the board felt about Kelly after his first 2 seasons......some players take time to grow into their body.

Not me. I said KO was our best pro prospect when he was a frosh.

gonzagafan62
04-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Not me. I said KO was our best pro prospect when he was a frosh.

So did I, but after the first two seasons he couldn’t stop fouling and taking himself right off the court.

bigblahla
04-02-2019, 05:35 PM

Yeah, That's one way to look at it... another is.... no one said that diamond mining is easy.... without expectations perception is everything....

Go Zags!!!

Shooter
04-02-2019, 07:41 PM
I like Ayayi athleticism. I don't think he will ever be a scorer but definitely could be a defensive stopper. And that should be good enough to backup ZN next year. Foster isn't a player at this level.

willandi
04-02-2019, 07:59 PM
I like Ayayi athleticism. I don't think he will ever be a scorer but definitely could be a defensive stopper. And that should be good enough to backup ZN next year. Foster isn't a player at this level.

'Ayayi led France to a third place finish, after falling to Serbia in the semifinals. He averaged 15.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.7 steals. Ayayi made 50 percent of his shots and nearly 35 percent of his 3-pointers. He scored 22 points in a 79-70 win over Russia in the third place game.'

Worthington
04-02-2019, 09:06 PM
I'm quite skeptical about Foster, but still think Ayayi could turn into something here. A 6'5 guard with long arms and super quick feet; at the very least he has potential as a defensive stopper.

Reports seem to be that he's struggled to learn and play within our system. Coach seemed to have a very short leash, indicating that he did not trust his decision making out there. What was he this season though, 18 years old? If he's planning on staying at Gonzaga next season, there is a role available for him, but he needs to spend the summer in the weight room and (in my opinion) on campus with the team, learning the system. He could easily add 20 pounds to his frame. Big off season for him development wise.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-03-2019, 02:00 AM
Neither of these players looked great as freshmen, but I could see potential in each of them. They may evolve into viable rotation players or even starters after another year or two in the program. Some players improve significantly between their freshman and sophomore years. Rui sure did. Cory Violette and Zach Gourde looked completely out of place as freshmen but developed into quality starters just one year later. Derek Raivio made a huge leap between his freshman and sophomore seasons. Raivio looked completely overwhelmed at times as a freshman, but went on to win WCC Player of the Year honors. Kyle Dranginis and Kelly Olynyk didn’t become starters until later in their careers.

ZagsObserver
04-03-2019, 05:14 AM
Neither of these players looked great as freshmen, but I could see potential in each of them. They may evolve into viable rotation players or even starters after another year or two in the program. Some players improve significantly between their freshman and sophomore years. Rui sure did. Cory Violette and Zach Gourde looked completely out of place as freshmen but developed into quality starters just one year later. Derek Raivio made a huge leap between his freshman and sophomore seasons. Raivio looked completely overwhelmed at times as a freshman, but went on to win WCC Player of the Year honors. Kyle Dranginis and Kelly Olynyk didn’t become starters until later in their careers.

Each of them had an array of tools for their position. Gourde would get no minutes on a current GU squad. Foster is neither a ball handler nor a scorer. I just don’t see him getting minutes when he lacks the abilities necessary for the position. And it’s not just a transition thing. He struggled in high school as well.

JPtheBeasta
04-03-2019, 06:00 AM
Foster has the look of more a play-making SG or SF in the mold of Dranginis, although I think Dranginis showed better feel and ball-handling at this stage. Ayayi is an enigma to me because he has good tools and shows flashes of his potential, but I expected him to be further along after two years in the system. I think he would have been getting minutes this year if he was expected to be a major contributor next year, but who knows... Jeremy Jones made a big step forward this year, and either one of these two could fill a sort of utility role. Next year will be a lot of fun and I am going in with lower expectations that lately, given the roster turnover in general, and the big question mark at PG.

Snowkane
04-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Ayayi will be a back up and see minutes next season.
Foster will likely not be on the team next season.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2019, 07:18 AM
After watching GU get swallowed up by TT's big boy backcourt, which ain't all that, by the way, how can anyone even be pollyanish about Joel and Foster having any role for a top 10-20 team going forward? Perk could hardly keep up, and Geno was a non-factor. And you see a role for 2 players that Few hardly glanced at all year? Just do not get the love.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
04-03-2019, 07:37 AM
After watching GU get swallowed up by TT's big boy backcourt, which ain't all that, by the way, how can anyone even be pollyanish about Joel and Foster having any role for a top 10-20 team going forward? Perk could hardly keep up, and Geno was a non-factor. And you see a role for 2 players that Few hardly glanced at all year? Just do not get the love.

I had high hopes for Greg, his numbers diminished substantially throughout the year. By the end he was getting no minutes. I do have some hopes that he might be a serviceable player for 10-12 minutes per game. Joel? Well, there is a snarky line that the Daily Racing Form uses when referencing a horse that had performed poorly, so I will use it here: "Ayayi showed nothing." Geno played decent defense but offensively was usually out of his depth, Perk ran the offense wonderfully, unless he was facing serious pressure, then it was up to others to help out. I liked Josh, and there is no way he wasn't one of the 15-25 best point guards in the US this year, but he definitely was vulnerable to teams with weapons.

Our front line doesn't look great next year, no matter what, (though I think Petrusev will really blow up-- I really think that, but the other players are hopes and dreams right now, Timme, Markuskus, even Antwon, who will likely start from day 1 are all works in progress) and Norvell coming back (he better) will be nice for a 2 guard, but that is minor consolation. Right now, unless Brock really is the second coming of Kevin Pangos (which I doubt, tbh, but I never have faith in frosh) then we are seriously hurting without a transfer next year.

cggonzaga
04-03-2019, 10:45 AM

I see Foster as a 10mpg type. He has the potential to be shutdown defender and solid ball handler.

willandi
04-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Have you tried getting in touch with Few and discussing this with him? He may have some insights that you aren't aware of...if not, you could set him straight.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Have you tried getting in touch with Few and discussing this with him? He may have some insights that you aren't aware of...if not, you could set him straight.

No need, it would appear he and I agree 100% on the disposition of Joel and Foster.

TexasZagFan
04-03-2019, 12:59 PM

I suppose my expectations for Geno were much too high, and he was hampered by arriving late on campus, followed by injury. I was expecting him to be a better ball handler, with the ability to play a solid point guard 10-15 mpg, to keep Josh fresh. Didn't quite come to fruition, but he gave it his best and was a good teammate.

willandi
04-03-2019, 01:55 PM
No need, it would appear he and I agree 100% on the disposition of Joel and Foster.

What did he say for you to have that position.

Please share.

Zagceo
04-03-2019, 02:01 PM
What did he say for you to have that position.

Please share.

"Wait here on the bench with me"

willandi
04-03-2019, 02:46 PM
"Wait here on the bench with me"

True, but if they are still going to be on a schollie, than his response, without any collaboration, is derogatory and BS.

JAGzag
04-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Guess I don’t get the surprise with Foster. He always seemed like a HIGH rough prospect. How soon we forget in HS we all questioned his recruitment and knew he was a project. I just don’t see him doing anything substantial at GU. Joel? If he stays another year and can take a leap forward, could be a good role player. No shame in that.

willandi
04-03-2019, 04:07 PM
I have no idea about either of them. Ayayi played well in the U 18 and at times put in a few good minutes. Foster maybe not so much, but the only people that KNOW are the coaching staff, the players and the pleyers families.

So before you throw them under or off the bus, remember that they are young people and that they, and their families, come to this forum

Speculation without ant facts demeans the players and the individuals. Please. Try to act like responsible adults.

Maybe this isn't the best time for this forum to debate these young men's lives.

Reborn
04-04-2019, 09:02 AM
I haven't given up on Ayayi. I give him another year because of his age, and also language barriers that Rui had to go through. I expect Foster to transfer.

There are now two or three available scholarhips,depending on what Tillie does. One of those will go to Ballo. If Foster transfers that would give us another. My guess is that those scholarships will go to guards, and probably one who can back up Ravet at the point. Hopefully, the other will be a pure Ninja shooter. Ayayi will have to battle these players for playing time next year.

Go Zags!!!

Gonzagit
04-04-2019, 09:40 AM
I have no idea about either of them. Ayayi played well in the U 18 and at times put in a few good minutes. Foster maybe not so much, but the only people that KNOW are the coaching staff, the players and the pleyers families.

So before you throw them under or off the bus, remember that they are young people and that they, and their families, come to this forum

Speculation without ant facts demeans the players and the individuals. Please. Try to act like responsible adults.

Maybe this isn't the best time for this forum to debate these young men's lives.

This is a fan message board. How is pointing out that neither of these guys play in games, and offering an opinion on their skill level derogatory? If their families come to this message board and get their feelings hurt, then that's on them. This is big time college athletics, not a support group. Neither of these guys will or should last longer than one more year in this program.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Awesome post. Truth. It’s business, not personal.

This is a fan message board. How is pointing out that neither of these guys play in games, and offering an opinion on their skill level derogatory? If their families come to this message board and get their feelings hurt, then that's on them. This is big time college athletics, not a support group. Neither of these guys will or should last longer than one more year in this program.

willandi
04-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Awesome post. Truth. It’s business, not personal.

Because it is different.
Do you think that Foster or Ayayi will come onto this forum to defend themselves? If they did, what would Few's reaction be?
When I asked jazz if he had mentioned his concern's to Few, he gave a snarky response that he and Few were on the same page, deduced because of the lack of playing time, but with no substantiation in actual fact. jazz doesn't know what Few is thinking on this. He just assumes that he does.
These 2 young men are still tennagers and, while on a team on a National stage, are still in formative years. Adults attacking teenagers that are in a defenseless position is wrong.
While you may be able to justify it as it being on a public forum and hiding behind the anonymity of a screen name... would you walk up to either one of these individuals and say face to face what you are willing to say here on the forum? If you would not do that, not just say that you would but actually do it, it is a false bravado. If you were to actually do so it most likely would be handled in a manner to your disliking.
Were either of you at the games in Anaheim? Then would have been a good opportunity, in fact Jazz could have easily driven up in a short afternoon and confronted one or the other, or both, either at the hotel or as they left the bus to enter the arena, but he didn't. He would rather sit at home and make up stories based on what he saw play out on TV.
Grownups attacking defenseless teenagers is an act of cowardice in my mind.

Zagceo
04-04-2019, 10:28 AM
Because it is different.
Do you think that Foster or Ayayi will come onto this forum to defend themselves? If they did, what would Few's reaction be?
When I asked jazz if he had mentioned his concern's to Few, he gave a snarky response that he and Few were on the same page, deduced because of the lack of playing time, but with no substantiation in actual fact. jazz doesn't know what Few is thinking on this. He just assumes that he does.
These 2 young men are still tennagers and, while on a team on a National stage, are still in formative years. Adults attacking teenagers that are in a defenseless position is wrong.
While you may be able to justify it as it being on a public forum and hiding behind the anonymity of a screen name... would you walk up to either one of these individuals and say face to face what you are willing to say here on the forum? If you would not do that, not just say that you would but actually do it, it is a false bravado. If you were to actually do so it most likely would be handled in a manner to your disliking.
Were either of you at the games in Anaheim? Then would have been a good opportunity, in fact Jazz could have easily driven up in a short afternoon and confronted one or the other, or both, either at the hotel or as they left the bus to enter the arena, but he didn't. He would rather sit at home and make up stories based on what he saw play out on TV.

might pump the brakes a bit willandi

this Zion comment doesn't fit your narrative....he is 18.

Right off the bat, you have to question his intelligence. He picked a shoe made for a lightweight man, not a shoe like LeBron wears.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?65550-Zags-and-Declaring-for-the-Draft/page3

willandi
04-04-2019, 11:07 AM
might pump the brakes a bit willandi

this Zion comment doesn't fit your narrative....he is 18.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?65550-Zags-and-Declaring-for-the-Draft/page3

Zion is LeBrons size, or bigger. Someone needed to tell him about the difference in shoes, but OK.

On the Ayayi/Foster thing...There is an epidemic in young people today of commiting suicide. We will never know why, but it happens. Despite all the evidence seeming to point towards their bright future, something sets them off. It could be a chance comment by an adult that has the 'right' to comment, it is a fan's board afterall, and the means, an anonymous internet handle and a keyboard, It may be a right and ability, but it is not necessarily the RIGHT thing to do.

Just ask the family of the projected starting quarterback for last years WSU Cougars, Tyler Hilinski.

Don't be the a-hole that tips those scales, please.

Zagceo
04-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Zion is LeBrons size, or bigger. Someone needed to tell him about the difference in shoes, but OK.

On the Ayayi/Foster thing...There is an epidemic in young people today of commiting suicide. We will never know why, but it happens. Despite all the evidence seeming to point towards their bright future, something sets them off. It could be a chance comment by an adult that has the 'right' to comment, it is a fan's board afterall, and the means, an anonymous internet handle and a keyboard, It may be a right and ability, but it is not necessarily the RIGHT thing to do.

Just ask the family of the projected starting quarterback for last years WSU Cougars, Tyler Hilinski.

Don't be the a-hole that tips those scales, please.

Parents reveal.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/tyler-hilinski-suicide-details-rifle-teammates-luke-falk-tribute-washington-state-qb/10i5euchrtor61rcuc7qk17ae6

willandi
04-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Parents reveal.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/tyler-hilinski-suicide-details-rifle-teammates-luke-falk-tribute-washington-state-qb/10i5euchrtor61rcuc7qk17ae6

Well that certainly takes any blame away from anyone or anything else! (SARCASM)

Mantua
04-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Because it is different.

Thanks willandi! I don’t want to speculate on the motivation to attack our players on this board. I know that none of the options for doing so are good or justifiable.

maynard g krebs
04-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Agree w/ Reborn about both. I expect Foster to wind up at the Big Sky/Big West/WAC level; no shame in that at all. Those guys are better than probably 99% of basketball players.

I think Ayayi has potential and it's too soon to make a call on him. I think Jeremy Jones surprised a lot of people w/ his production this year; I could see Ayayi doing the same.

ZagzKrak
04-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Not every guy on the roster is going to be a star, if they are good practice players and are happy in that role with the chance to improve and earn more time as they get better then I'm all for them. Having two large guards to go up against in practice has to help the team, one is fast as lightning and the other has better hops then most guards we have had in the past. It's not like Few is going with a 13 man rotation so if they are happy with their role then I wish them the best.

Vanzagger
04-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Speaking of Big Sky. I think Eags have 2 upperclassmen that would start for any team on the West Coast. And other pieces to go with. Lots of credit to Hayford and Lagans